OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 05:09:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is neurosis?  (Read 778 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: October 23, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »

I saw this on wiki:

"...anxiety, sadness or depression, anger, irritability, mental confusion, low sense of self-worth, etc., behavioral symptoms such as phobic avoidance, vigilance, impulsive and compulsive acts, lethargy, etc., cognitive problems such as unpleasant or disturbing thoughts, repetition of thoughts and obsession, habitual fantasizing, negativity and cynicism, etc. Interpersonally, neurosis involves dependency, aggressiveness, perfectionism, schizoid isolation, socio-culturally inappropriate behaviors, etc."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosis

Is that accurate?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:12:19 PM »

I saw this on wiki:

"...anxiety, sadness or depression, anger, irritability, mental confusion, low sense of self-worth, etc., behavioral symptoms such as phobic avoidance, vigilance, impulsive and compulsive acts, lethargy, etc., cognitive problems such as unpleasant or disturbing thoughts, repetition of thoughts and obsession, habitual fantasizing, negativity and cynicism, etc. Interpersonally, neurosis involves dependency, aggressiveness, perfectionism, schizoid isolation, socio-culturally inappropriate behaviors, etc."

Is that accurate?

How bored are you? Don't you claim to read Freud or something?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:12:28 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 10:13:16 PM »

I saw this on wiki:

Is that accurate?

I have been, but I want to be clear on it.

I've seen people throw around "neurotic" as if that means closely examining behavior of others and themselves.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »

I saw this on wiki:

Is that accurate?

I've seen people throw around "neurotic" as if that means closely examining behavior of others and themselves.

Ignore people.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:23:43 PM »

I saw this on wiki:

Is that accurate?

Ignore people.
Everything in bolded is me.

But are those really anxiety disorders?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:25:16 PM »

I saw this on wiki:

Is that accurate?

Ignore people.
Everything in bolded is me.

But are those really anxiety disorders?

Which would be neurotic.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 10:30:11 PM »

This is what I don't get. I read Asperger's, Autism, Schizophrenia, Manic Depression, and now this...and why do all of these things have in common. All of these I read them and I'm like "Yep that's me".

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 10:34:43 PM »

This is what I don't get. I read Asperger's, Autism, Schizophrenia, Manic Depression, and now this...and why do all of these things have in common. All of these I read them and I'm like "Yep that's me".

Hypochondriosis.

Actually, your problem is that you quit before you get to disorder. Everyone is neurotic (some caveats) to some degree, the degree your neurosis disorders your life is the degree to which you have a problem.

Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 10:35:12 PM »

OC.NET stock answer #1 incoming . . . . "Such matters are best discussed with your priest. "
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 10:38:03 PM »

Hypochondriosis.

Actually, your problem is that you quit before you get to disorder. Everyone is neurotic (some caveats) to some degree, the degree your neurosis disorders your life is the degree to which you have a problem.
I just told my sister this tonight that if the disorder starts affecting my life to where I can't function properly, I'll get some help.

This kind of goes along with that mental block thread I made, I dunno my perception of things has changed. I've become more obsessive over certain things and increasing my perfectionism.

I fall back onto old addictions to push aside it.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 10:43:57 PM »

Your answer is here.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 11:03:39 PM »

Your answer is here.
The search for myself can finally be called off after 25 years.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 09:12:44 AM »

I saw this on wiki:

Is that accurate?

Ignore people.

Especially yourself (if you're a person, that is).  Even more especially, "people" on the internet, particularly those who think they know something about......people.  Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 09:15:03 AM »

Your answer is here.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »

Achronos,

This morning I realized you would be better fit by the neurotic analog in Japanese:

shinkeishitsu

http://psychologydictionary.org/shinkeishitsu/

For whatever reason Moritan therapy was on my mind.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 09:31:55 AM »

Your answer is here.

I really wish he would shop himself on a milk carton.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 09:32:05 AM by orthonorm » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »

Your answer is here.

Check this out.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »

Achronos,

This morning I realized you would be better fit by the neurotic analog in Japanese:

shinkeishitsu

http://psychologydictionary.org/shinkeishitsu/

For whatever reason Moritan therapy was on my mind.
Thanks for the link. Remember you are supposed to start ignoring me. Wink

In truth, I think you made me realize I need a break from posting here for awhile. I guess I'll need to do something else at work when I'm not "working "

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »

Your answer is here.

Check this out.
Or me being self absorbed. I haven't navel gazed truly in a long time.

I'll stop now.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »

In truth, I think you made me realize I need a break from posting here for awhile. I guess I'll need to do something else at work when I'm not "working "

Follow the pedalion - that way you won't be adrift. Wink
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 05:43:34 PM »

My low content contribution:

Neurotics build castles in the air
Psychotics live in them
And psychiatrists collect the rent

And now I'm going to phantasise about that Irish coffee and the mornings Ulster fry.... Wink
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: