OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 12:07:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Joseph's Day [March 19th]  (Read 1247 times) Average Rating: 0
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« on: March 19, 2005, 02:59:42 AM »

May the Blessings and the tender Love of St. Joseph be with you & your families through out your lives.

Happy St. Joseph's Day!

God Bless,
Hadel

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 12:44:23 PM »

I did not know that the East would honor or even mention this day, interesting.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 01:11:04 PM »

I was surprised too given that it's not the Feast of St. Joseph today on the eastern calendar.  I supposed Hadel was trying to be 'ecumenical' (not always a dirty word, btw).  We had an interesting discussion on Serge's blog about the veneration of St. Joseph.  Serge has posted a link to a Remnant article which discussed the ever-virginity of St. Joseph.  I only skimmed the article so don't know if they accepted that St. Joseph was always a virgin.  That's a very bizarre teaching, IMHO, with absolutely no basis in tradition or Scripture.  And probably (IMHO at least) an indication of the 'cult of virginity' in the Roman Catholic Church which is very unhealthy. 

Even though I'm now 'eastern' I still love good St. Joseph even though the east doesn't venerate him as much as Roman Catholics.  (Someone even mentioned that some easterners refuse to venerate him because he wanted to throw out the Theotokos.) 
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 01:12:27 PM »

I don't find that March 19th has a commemoration on the Russian or Greek calendar. Am I missing something?

AFAIK the RCs keep March 19th as St. Joseph's.

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 02:12:55 PM »

Could he be WR?  It is in the western rite Ordo lectionary for today.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 02:24:16 PM »

Landon,

you are quite correct, I guess that is why I'm a bit more interested in Western Orthodoxy then the East.

Peace-Pokoj-Pax,
james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Stephen Barrow

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 02:57:10 PM »

St. Joseph the Betrothed is commemorated on the Sunday after the Nativity, along with St. David the King and Prophet and St. James the Brother of God.

He does not have a day where he alone is remembered in the Byzantine ("Orthodox") calendar.

There is no reason why an individual could not keep this day of commeration.  It just does not have "universal" status.  As an Italian American who grew up commerating San Giuseppe on the 19th, my mother was Josephine, it is something I continue to do and am raising my daughter with.

It is a shame that Zeppole, http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art1996.asp, are not lenten!!   
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 05:01:35 PM »

Ah well. Thanks Hadel for the good wishes. Today (March 19th, St. Joseph in the WR) is a holiday in my father's home country. It is certainly interesting how St. Joseph acquired such a following and devotion in the West but not in the East.

edited to reflect a more complete thought.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005, 01:40:22 AM by TonyS » Logged

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 06:21:34 PM »

Ah well. Thanks Hadel for the good wishes. Today (March 19th, St. Joseph in the WR) is a holiday in my father's home country. It is certainly interesting how St. Joseph acquired such a following and devotion in the West.

I find I have to add my $0.02 worth here. I have always wondered why St. Joseph the "Forgotten" has never played an important part in the Eastern traditions. Some one who had literally the job of protecting both the Theotokos AND the Son of God (now which other saint can claim this distinction?) during our Lord's more fomative years. I am sure St. Joseph taught Jesus how to make things out of wood, and I sure St. Joseph more than once had our Lord on his lap and told him stories of old and read the Psalms to Jesus. Can you imagine being at the meal table with Jesus, Mary and Joseph. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when that happened.

JoeS
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005, 03:29:02 AM »

Hi everyone,

Well, I follow my heart first and not the Church, call me a rebel. I have great reverence for St. Joseph & it doesn't matter to me East or West Orthodox Church.

Picture this, have dinner with your parents and siblings; as your eating speak to one another, pass the daily meal, converse on important issues with the family and as you are doing all this, ignore your father at the table; And when your father finally is insulted and asks "why is everyone ignoring me?" You reply, "Sorry, father, you are not that important, however, thanks for all your contributions to the family."

Might be an exaggerated scenario, however, think of St. Joseph at your table and you seem to ignore him; important to the Holy family, I say yes. Since when we give ratings and who are we to give measures.

My honest opinion & thoughts.
Blessings,
Hadel

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: