OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 03:22:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ordinary Time?  (Read 265 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« on: August 29, 2013, 11:53:37 PM »

So what's all this I hear about Ordinary Time, etc.? How did it develop in Western Churches (I assume), and are there any parallels in Eastern Churches? It gets mentioned a surprising amount in Catholic conversation.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 11:58:05 PM »

the after pentecost sundays. they prob got their name  after vat. II
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »

So what's all this I hear about Ordinary Time, etc.? How did it develop in Western Churches (I assume), and are there any parallels in Eastern Churches? It gets mentioned a surprising amount in Catholic conversation.

Google is your friend, too. Grin

Ordinary Time refers to season of the Christian liturgical calendar, particularly the calendar of the ordinary form of the Roman rite of the Catholic Church, although some other churches in Western Christianity also use the term. The English name "Ordinary time" translates the Latin term tempus per annum (literally "time through the year").

Since 1970 in the ordinary form of the Roman rite in the Catholic Church, Ordinary Time comprises two periods: one beginning on the day after the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord (the end of the Christmas season) and ending on the day before Ash Wednesday, the other beginning on the Monday after Pentecost (the conclusion of Eastertide) and continuing until the Saturday before Advent Sunday (The First Sunday of Advent).

The Church numbers the weeks of Ordinary Time. Several Sundays bear the name of feasts or solemnities celebrated on those days, including Trinity Sunday and the Feast of Christ the King.

The liturgical color normally assigned to Ordinary Time is green.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordinary_Time

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: