Author Topic: Graphics Memory  (Read 613 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
Graphics Memory
« on: August 29, 2013, 11:29:28 PM »
So if I understand correctly, what my system data/info (Windows 7) calls "dedicated graphics memory" is actually how much I have to work with when I'm considering whether my system will be able to run this or that program/game. Well, what then is meant by "total available graphic memory," and can I take some of that latter type of memory and add it to the dedicated memory, and if so how do I do that? Cause right now I have a whole lot more "available" memory than I do "dedicated" memory, and my dedicated memory seems pretty much worthless for any new games coming out...

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Re: Graphics Memory
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 12:45:00 AM »
Most systems with on board graphics chips set aside a certain amount of system memory for graphics memory.  Regardless of how much system memory you put in the machine, the dedicated graphics memory remains unchanged.

As an example, if you buy the latest and greatest system (with the 4th generation Intel i series processors), you should be able to play a lot of modern games.

I have a desktop from 2009 with a 350 Watt power supply and a NVidia PCI Express graphics card with 1 GB of its own memory (no dependence on system memory).  I'm not a gamer; I'm confident that the old machine can play 95% of the games out there.  If you want to play 100% of the games, you need a faster processor and a dedicated video card with at least 1 GB of video RAM.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »
So I can't change it then...? Well that stinks. Most of my system is adequate (6gb ram, etc.), but my graphics memory is terrible.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:04:01 PM »
If your power supply is at least 350W and you have a full length PCIExpress slot available, you can install a modern video card with 2 GB of Video memory, like this card below:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/399326/02G-P3-2627-KM_NVIDIA_GeForce_GT_620_SC_2048MB_DDR3_PCIe_20_x16_Video_Card

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »
lulz whats the graphics memory bro?

I'm at 3GB. But really what resolution are you at?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:21:48 PM »
Keep in mind also that built on graphics card memory is incredibly fast in comparison to system shared memory.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 02:03:47 PM »
No longer in need of an answer to the OP, but...

But really what resolution are you at?

1920x1080 now. I feel like I've come out of the dark ages and into the light.  8)

Offline wgw

• Amateur Liturgical Enthusiast
  • OC.net guru
  • The above Syriac icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 04:50:35 PM »
I myself love the relatively obsolete Nvidia NVS 290 GPu which has a mere 256 MB or so, but it can power a 1900 x 1200 display, run Aero effects, and it's software provides virtual desktops.  And most importantly, it's fanless.  I've found GPU cooling fans a major source of annoyance.  But I'm not a gamer and for gaming purposes a workstation card like the ancient NVS 290 is worthless.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 12:31:07 PM »
AFAIK you can try rearranging graphics memory via BIOs somehow. Or try 64-bit version.