OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 04:26:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphics Memory  (Read 396 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« on: August 29, 2013, 11:29:28 PM »

So if I understand correctly, what my system data/info (Windows 7) calls "dedicated graphics memory" is actually how much I have to work with when I'm considering whether my system will be able to run this or that program/game. Well, what then is meant by "total available graphic memory," and can I take some of that latter type of memory and add it to the dedicated memory, and if so how do I do that? Cause right now I have a whole lot more "available" memory than I do "dedicated" memory, and my dedicated memory seems pretty much worthless for any new games coming out...
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 12:45:00 AM »

Most systems with on board graphics chips set aside a certain amount of system memory for graphics memory.  Regardless of how much system memory you put in the machine, the dedicated graphics memory remains unchanged.

As an example, if you buy the latest and greatest system (with the 4th generation Intel i series processors), you should be able to play a lot of modern games.

I have a desktop from 2009 with a 350 Watt power supply and a NVidia PCI Express graphics card with 1 GB of its own memory (no dependence on system memory).  I'm not a gamer; I'm confident that the old machine can play 95% of the games out there.  If you want to play 100% of the games, you need a faster processor and a dedicated video card with at least 1 GB of video RAM.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 09:59:19 PM »

So I can't change it then...? Well that stinks. Most of my system is adequate (6gb ram, etc.), but my graphics memory is terrible.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:04:01 PM »

If your power supply is at least 350W and you have a full length PCIExpress slot available, you can install a modern video card with 2 GB of Video memory, like this card below:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/399326/02G-P3-2627-KM_NVIDIA_GeForce_GT_620_SC_2048MB_DDR3_PCIe_20_x16_Video_Card

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »

lulz whats the graphics memory bro?

I'm at 3GB. But really what resolution are you at?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:21:48 PM »

Keep in mind also that built on graphics card memory is incredibly fast in comparison to system shared memory.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: