OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 01:45:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgical Color for Indiction (Church New Year)  (Read 2894 times) Average Rating: 0
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2013, 04:19:50 PM »

And at my church New Year was ignored. We had regular 10th Sunday (or 9th, not sure which one was that).
I bet it was the same in more than 90% of churches. 

In my parish the New Year was celebrated - at the Liturgy there were hymns for that and the sermon was about it. Don't know for the Vigil, as I couldn't attend it. But the colour of the vestments was blue because of a feast of a Theotokos icon

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »

And at my church New Year was ignored. We had regular 10th Sunday (or 9th, not sure which one was that).

Is not your church on the Old Calendar?

No. I remember the choir conductor was asking the priest about the Gospel/Epistle/prokimenons.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2013, 04:08:03 AM »

hi, we don't have colours (we only change them for holy week, Pascha and Christmas) but we do have environmental hymns...
 Wink
http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/1277
(Psalm 65:10-11)
(مزمور 10:65-11)

You water its ridges abundantly, You settle its furrows; You make it soft with showers, You bless its growth. You crown the year with Your goodness, And Your paths drip with abundance.

فليروي حرثها ولتكثر أثمارها، وتفرح بقطراتها فتنبت، تبارك إكليل السنة بصلاحك، وبقاعك يمتلئ من الدسم.

this one is not a 'modern' hymn, as you can see!

we always celebrate this service, as the coptic church actually started re-numbering the years in 284AD in order to commemorate the vast number of martyrs who suffered that year. so this is a major service in our church, and we encourage you all to remember it too and to commemorate the church's saints and all the years of God's care for His church.

in our service, each church brings out the relics of the saints that it has and replaces the covering on their box with a special mixture of oil and spices that the priests mix freshly every year. this takes a big part of the service and then the readers process around with the icon boxes and we kiss them and thank God for the lives of the martyrs and saints and for His great grace and love to us all and for His care for the church both here and in heaven.
we also thank God for the new year and have many happy hymns of praise to Him.

if you don't have a priest for new year, you can still kiss all the relics and sing to God and pray.
i love new year!
 Smiley
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2013, 08:00:34 AM »

Today (indiction on the old calendar) the priest wore gold vestments. There was a special moleben at the end for the beginning of the new year. It was accompanied by a sermon about the Indiction.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:00:54 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 02:27:23 PM »

Today (indiction on the old calendar) the priest wore gold vestments. There was a special moleben at the end for the beginning of the new year. It was accompanied by a sermon about the Indiction.

Gold. No mention at Liturgy, stuff about New Year in bulletin.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »

No mention, it means regular Gospel and no special troparion?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »

I meant in the homily and announcements. Actually, Father mentioned in passing the start of the church year with the beginning of church school.

Today is September 2(OS). There were a number of Troparion today...including post festal of the Baptized and Forerunner, John...Epistle Reading: 1 Corinthians 15:1-11, Gospel Reading: Matthew 19:16-26, Old Calendar commemoration of  Mammas the Martyr; John the Abstainer, Patriarch of Constantinople; Ammon & Aeithalas the Martyrs of Thrace.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »

This liturgical color thing must a late latinizattion. The orthodox in Transylvania at least, although they picked on many other latinizattion a never adopted this one. But the old basic light/dark color distinction is kinda adhered to with some exceptions. From what I saw its the richest/ most ornate
vestments that tend to be worn at great feasts oftentimes regardless of color. Excepted funerals where it's always black. As well as the Holy Week .
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »

This liturgical color thing must a late latinizattion. The orthodox in Transylvania at least, although they picked on many other latinizattion a never adopted this one. But the old basic light/dark color distinction is kinda adhered to with some exceptions. From what I saw its the richest/ most ornate
vestments that tend to be worn at great feasts oftentimes regardless of color. Excepted funerals where it's always black. As well as the Holy Week .

Liturgical colours are indeed latinizations. But that includes black vestments during funerals too. IMO nothing wrong with that though.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2013, 03:21:31 PM »

I meant in the homily and announcements. Actually, Father mentioned in passing the start of the church year with the beginning of church school.

Today is September 2(OS). There were a number of Troparion today...including post festal of the Baptized and Forerunner, John...Epistle Reading: 1 Corinthians 15:1-11, Gospel Reading: Matthew 19:16-26, Old Calendar commemoration of  Mammas the Martyr; John the Abstainer, Patriarch of Constantinople; Ammon & Aeithalas the Martyrs of Thrace.

AFAIK, New Year have separate Gospel and Epistle readings to be read alongside.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2013, 03:58:23 PM »

AFAIK, New Year have separate Gospel and Epistle readings to be read alongside.

Yesterday was Sept.1(OS). Ecclesiastical New Year; Synaxis of the Recovery of the Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos of Miasenae ; Jesus (Joshua) of Navi; Symeon the Stylite; 40 Holy Women Martyrs of Thrace; Holy Martyrs Calliste and Siblings: Euodus and Hermogenes; Righteous Meletius, The Struggler of the Muioupolis Mountain
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2013, 04:44:44 PM »

all very interesting.
do any other churches bring out the saints relics and have a procession and kiss the relic boxes?
i love that bit  Smiley

why is new year called indiction? is it something about talking (diction)?
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/indiction
A 15-year cycle used as a chronological unit in ancient Rome and incorporated in some medieval systems.

Dictionary - a place to look up words you do not know

Joseph
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2013, 05:58:33 PM »

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/indiction
A 15-year cycle used as a chronological unit in ancient Rome and incorporated in some medieval systems.

That's cold. I never heard it in 60 years of EO life. I know the church year starts in September as the Liturgicons and prayer books are all set up that way, but I never came across that term.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2013, 06:12:48 PM »

ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »

I'm afraid we have veered off-topic. In Burlingame, the ROCOR parish wore gold for the Indiction, so I think that gold is the proper colour, unless something else is indicated.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2013, 08:24:33 PM »

I'm afraid we have veered off-topic. In Burlingame, the ROCOR parish wore gold for the Indiction, so I think that gold is the proper colour, unless something else is indicated.

Just because ROCOR wore gold only means that in the ROCOR tradition, it's gold. Greeks and Antiochians use a different color pattern than do Russians. Not even all Slavs follow the same one, most don't, for example, wear red at Pascha or black apart from Great Friday.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2013, 04:38:42 AM »

so is indiction only celebrated once every 15 years?
my english language church experiences were mainly non denominational protestant (no big words) and my orthodox experiences are mainly in arabic. even the english speaking egyptians use arabic terms for church jargon, as they don't know how to say it in english!
i know a few latin terms from my catholic visits and a few specifically eastern orthodox terms in romanian.
so english is not my strong point!
 laugh
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2013, 04:54:56 AM »

so is indiction only celebrated once every 15 years?

This has to do with the Roman fiscal new year... St. Constantine introduced the 15 year cycle. So technically, each year would be the first or second or ... 15th of a certain indiction cycle (these were assigned a number too, but people have sort of lost track of them since they don't pay taxes according to ancient Roman law anymore).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiction
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »

This is the 560th year of the Fallen Indiction

Joseph
orthoreader
Elder

Faith: orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Los Angeles and the West

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »

This may be an odd question. But does anyone know of someone who can sew a set of Deacon's vestments in a hurry?
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »

This may be an odd question. But does anyone know of someone who can sew a set of Deacon's vestments in a hurry?

In a hurry?  God. 

Seriously, how soon do you need them? 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags: colors  liturgy  church year  indict  paraments  church vestments 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: