OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 02:35:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgical Color for Indiction (Church New Year)  (Read 2916 times) Average Rating: 0
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« on: August 29, 2013, 06:10:31 PM »

As you all know, on the New Calendar, we have the Church New Year on Sunday. Some of you also know that I assist a small chapel where we conduct readers' services during the week, though generally attend a parish on Sundays and try to make major feasts (we live a bit away from our parish, and so we're unable to attend when feasts fall during the week, but can attend our local readers' services). I've been trying to find out what liturgical color is traditionally used for Indiction, but I can't find any information that's so detailed. So, what does your church use?

We're OCA, but I can't remember the color we used last year at the parish, and we didn't serve this feast at our chapel last year. The Slavic tradition for this color is what I'd most like to know (trying to match our parish colors), but I'd also be interested to know other traditions, if they exist, or even variations within Slavic practice. Thanks!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 06:14:55 PM »

According to OrthodoxWiki, gold is used when no other colour is specified, while Carpatho-Russian practice stipulates blue until the Elevation of the Cross.

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Liturgical_colours

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »

According to OrthodoxWiki, gold is used when no other colour is specified, while Carpatho-Russian practice stipulates blue until the Elevation of the Cross.

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Liturgical_colours

Right. I'm just wondering if there is another specified color, and will use that one. If there isn't, I'll default to gold.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:25:46 PM »

huh who cares about this?anyways, fwiw, in romania they used the colors almost randomly, except for maybe easter or burials. but the indiction, seriously, this is not a feast in most (like 99. 99 %) parishes.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »

huh who cares about this?anyways, fwiw, in romania they used the colors almost randomly, except for maybe easter or burials. but the indiction, seriously, this is not a feast in most (like 99. 99 %) parishes.

I do. I never understood why you comment when you have nothing to say...

augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:39:01 PM »

But you realize this is only celebrated in places like cathedrals and monasteries where they have daily services.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:23:09 PM »

But you realize this is only celebrated in places like cathedrals and monasteries where they have daily services.
No, I've been to several parishes where they did not have daily services, but had this service.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 11:09:04 PM »

The current practice in the Ecumenical Patriarchate is green because the text now include hymns for the environment. This of course is a very recent addition (within the last 15 years).

Gold is the traditional color for the Feast of the Indiction.

Joseph
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »

It falls on a Sunday this year, so it should be celebrated in every parish on the Revised Julian Calendar.

Joseph
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 11:47:13 PM »

The current practice in the Ecumenical Patriarchate is green because the text now include hymns for the environment. This of course is a very recent addition (within the last 15 years).
Traditionally creation began on that day.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 11:55:19 PM »

on the old or on the new calendar?
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 12:07:11 AM »

The Jewish - on Rosh hashana = 1 Tishri, 5773 years ago.  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:11:47 AM by Romaios » Logged
mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 07:07:48 AM »

We'll be in Gold.

In XC,

Deacon Philip
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 07:58:37 AM »

Because if augustin isn't stirring up controversy, he's bored and has no meaning in his life.  Look up curmudgeon in the dictionary, you'll find his pic.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 08:01:27 AM »

I thought that was the day when Christ began his ministry when he took his turn to read from the Prophecy of Isaiah and then announced that it had been fulfilled. 

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 10:10:25 AM »

Because if augustin isn't stirring up controversy, he's bored and has no meaning in his life.  Look up curmudgeon in the dictionary, you'll find his pic.

There are also leftist parades to attend.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »

I thought that was the day when Christ began his ministry when he took his turn to read from the Prophecy of Isaiah and then announced that it had been fulfilled. 

That too.

I also seem to remember reading a Synaxarion which said that the Israelites entered the Holy Land, but that doesn't seem to square with Scripture.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 10:27:46 AM »

IOW the really old calendar.

ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »

I would do gold,because the Beheading of St. John the Baptist is a one-day feast/fast, unless the Bishop visits a parish with St. John the Baptist as their patron. In that case, the colour would be red (martyrs).
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 03:44:24 PM »

You mean like this one:

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 04:32:18 PM »

Thanks to all. Gold it shall be!

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »

Why do you ask? Isn't that a priest's thing to know?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 04:47:29 PM »

They have reader services. Need to put on the right tie.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 09:27:32 PM »

I would do gold,because the Beheading of St. John the Baptist is a one-day feast/fast, unless the Bishop visits a parish with St. John the Baptist as their patron. In that case, the colour would be red (martyrs).

Green could also be used for feasts of St John the Baptist, as he was a prophet. As well as for Palm Sunday and Pentecost, green can also be used for prophets and holy fools.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 10:00:51 PM »

At Orthros, does this feast call for the  polyeleos to be chanted in place of the Amomos?  The Arabic typicon says no, but the Greek typicon says yes.  I don't really care about the Russians.  WHich is correct?

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 11:05:09 PM »

At Orthros, does this feast call for the  polyeleos to be chanted in place of the Amomos?  The Arabic typicon says no, but the Greek typicon says yes.  I don't really care about the Russians.  WHich is correct?

http://www.ecclesia.gr/tipikon/2013/9.pdf

If I'm reading the Greek here correctly, it agrees with the Arabic.  But don't take my word for it.     

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2013, 02:48:44 AM »

http://www.ecclesia.gr/tipikon/2013/9.pdf

If I'm reading the Greek here correctly, it agrees with the Arabic.  But don't take my word for it.     

No Polyeleos according to the Romanian typikon either.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 08:55:18 AM »

Which Greek Typikon are you using? My guess is the Church of Greece Typikon will agree with the Arabic, and the Church of Constantinople is telling you yes on the Polyeleos because of the additions of the environmental hymns. 

Joseph
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »

...and the Church of Constantinople is telling you yes on the Polyeleos because of the additions of the environmental hymns

Hippies.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 02:25:42 PM »

Which Greek Typikon are you using? My guess is the Church of Greece Typikon will agree with the Arabic, and the Church of Constantinople is telling you yes on the Polyeleos because of the additions of the environmental hymns. 

The Greek Typicon I look at says that between the 2nd and 3rd poetic kathismata, the polyeleos is to be chanted.

I got my information here: http://analogion.gr/glt/texts/Sep/01.uni.htm

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »

The Greek Typicon I look at says that between the 2nd and 3rd poetic kathismata, the polyeleos is to be chanted.

I got my information here: http://analogion.gr/glt/texts/Sep/01.uni.htm

Is it possible that 1 Sept this year being a Sunday has anything to do with it?  

Edit

Or perhaps this?

The present Menaion gives a Polyeleos and Gospel for Matins, but this is modern, and the texts used as Kathisma and Idiomel are used elsewhere in the office. The Typikon of Dionysiou makes no mention of this addition, nor, in fact, does the Typikon printed in the Menaion. This section has therefore been printed within square brackets.

If the 1st of September falls on a Sunday, the Typikon is as follows. [The off ice of the Holy Women is omitted, or read at Compline.]

At Matins, at The Lord is God, Apolytkia as at Vespers, except that the Resurrection one is sung twice. The Resurrection Kathismata and that of the Indiction O God who grant fruitful seasons twice. [That is, it replaces the Theotokion each time.] After Psalm 118, the Evlogitaria, the Ypakoï, the Anavathmi of the Tone and the Prokeimenon...

http://www.anastasis.org.uk/sep01ml.htm
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 03:42:48 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2013, 04:46:17 PM »

No, I've been to several parishes where they did not have daily services, but had this service.

Well, if you don'd celebrate daily services, you have to pick the days on which you'll have services, and the ecclesiastical new year with its extra prayers seems appropriate.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 04:48:46 PM »

Gold is the traditional color for the Feast of the Indiction.

Were additions made to the liturgical texts? Were new ones added to the old? Were the old tossed? Do you have some translations and examples? I'm curious. Also, is it just in the Phanar that this is done?

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2013, 04:50:19 PM »

IOW the really old calendar.

Still off by about 200 years.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »

The correct one is for whatever church you're in. There have always been differences in typicon.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2013, 04:59:22 PM »

Were additions made to the liturgical texts? Were new ones added to the old? Were the old tossed? Do you have some translations and examples? I'm curious. Also, is it just in the Phanar that this is done?

http://www.anastasis.org.uk/environm.htm

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2013, 04:59:42 PM »

On September 1, we commemorate the martyric death of Reader Xenophon, whose head exploded as he contemplated the hierarchies of feasts, the proper colors of vestments, and the intricacies of the typikon. In most places, his memory is superseded by the feast of the Indiction, but in places where his memory is especially venerated, his service is chanted a while banging one's head on the wall as a sign of contrition and humility.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2013, 05:00:14 PM »

http://www.anastasis.org.uk/environm.htm

Thanks!

dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2013, 06:02:01 PM »

On September 1, we commemorate the martyric death of Reader Xenophon, whose head exploded as he contemplated the hierarchies of feasts, the proper colors of vestments, and the intricacies of the typikon. In most places, his memory is superseded by the feast of the Indiction, but in places where his memory is especially venerated, his service is chanted a while banging one's head on the wall as a sign of contrition and humility.

Best post ever

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2013, 11:07:58 PM »

Best post ever

Seconded!  laugh laugh
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »

You mean like this one:

Yes.  Incidentally, yikes, 1984.  The writing was on the wall.

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2013, 10:44:16 PM »

Generally, yes. However, there are a few of us Orthodox where I live, but too small right now for a mission. We have a blessing to conduct readers services and have a room set aside that functions as a kind of chapel. Icons on the walls, holy water and oil, liturgical books and three analoi for Christ, the Theotokos and the festal icon. We have church vestments for those analoi and use them accordingly, so I wanted to know if I should change them for this feast, which we served the Vigil for since it was on Sunday. That's all.

I'm also rather nerdy, and the little ins-and-outs of liturgics are interesting to me. Before I was Orthodox, I was Presbyerian and just as nerdy about scholasticism and systematic theology.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »

And at my church New Year was ignored. We had regular 10th Sunday (or 9th, not sure which one was that).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »

And at my church New Year was ignored. We had regular 10th Sunday (or 9th, not sure which one was that).
I bet it was the same in more than 90% of churches.  I all bet the church ny was a big deal in more than 90% of places where they hsve reader services or otherwise small like minded congregations.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »

Is not your church on the Old Calendar? September 1st isn't for 6 more days then.

Joseph
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2013, 04:19:50 PM »

I bet it was the same in more than 90% of churches. 

In my parish the New Year was celebrated - at the Liturgy there were hymns for that and the sermon was about it. Don't know for the Vigil, as I couldn't attend it. But the colour of the vestments was blue because of a feast of a Theotokos icon

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2013, 06:42:53 PM »

Is not your church on the Old Calendar?

No. I remember the choir conductor was asking the priest about the Gospel/Epistle/prokimenons.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2013, 04:08:03 AM »

hi, we don't have colours (we only change them for holy week, Pascha and Christmas) but we do have environmental hymns...
 Wink
http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/1277
(Psalm 65:10-11)
(مزمور 10:65-11)

You water its ridges abundantly, You settle its furrows; You make it soft with showers, You bless its growth. You crown the year with Your goodness, And Your paths drip with abundance.

فليروي حرثها ولتكثر أثمارها، وتفرح بقطراتها فتنبت، تبارك إكليل السنة بصلاحك، وبقاعك يمتلئ من الدسم.

this one is not a 'modern' hymn, as you can see!

we always celebrate this service, as the coptic church actually started re-numbering the years in 284AD in order to commemorate the vast number of martyrs who suffered that year. so this is a major service in our church, and we encourage you all to remember it too and to commemorate the church's saints and all the years of God's care for His church.

in our service, each church brings out the relics of the saints that it has and replaces the covering on their box with a special mixture of oil and spices that the priests mix freshly every year. this takes a big part of the service and then the readers process around with the icon boxes and we kiss them and thank God for the lives of the martyrs and saints and for His great grace and love to us all and for His care for the church both here and in heaven.
we also thank God for the new year and have many happy hymns of praise to Him.

if you don't have a priest for new year, you can still kiss all the relics and sing to God and pray.
i love new year!
 Smiley
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2013, 08:00:34 AM »

Today (indiction on the old calendar) the priest wore gold vestments. There was a special moleben at the end for the beginning of the new year. It was accompanied by a sermon about the Indiction.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 08:00:54 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 02:27:23 PM »

Today (indiction on the old calendar) the priest wore gold vestments. There was a special moleben at the end for the beginning of the new year. It was accompanied by a sermon about the Indiction.

Gold. No mention at Liturgy, stuff about New Year in bulletin.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2013, 02:35:47 PM »

No mention, it means regular Gospel and no special troparion?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2013, 03:00:08 PM »

I meant in the homily and announcements. Actually, Father mentioned in passing the start of the church year with the beginning of church school.

Today is September 2(OS). There were a number of Troparion today...including post festal of the Baptized and Forerunner, John...Epistle Reading: 1 Corinthians 15:1-11, Gospel Reading: Matthew 19:16-26, Old Calendar commemoration of  Mammas the Martyr; John the Abstainer, Patriarch of Constantinople; Ammon & Aeithalas the Martyrs of Thrace.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2013, 03:09:11 PM »

This liturgical color thing must a late latinizattion. The orthodox in Transylvania at least, although they picked on many other latinizattion a never adopted this one. But the old basic light/dark color distinction is kinda adhered to with some exceptions. From what I saw its the richest/ most ornate
vestments that tend to be worn at great feasts oftentimes regardless of color. Excepted funerals where it's always black. As well as the Holy Week .
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »

This liturgical color thing must a late latinizattion. The orthodox in Transylvania at least, although they picked on many other latinizattion a never adopted this one. But the old basic light/dark color distinction is kinda adhered to with some exceptions. From what I saw its the richest/ most ornate
vestments that tend to be worn at great feasts oftentimes regardless of color. Excepted funerals where it's always black. As well as the Holy Week .

Liturgical colours are indeed latinizations. But that includes black vestments during funerals too. IMO nothing wrong with that though.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2013, 03:21:31 PM »

I meant in the homily and announcements. Actually, Father mentioned in passing the start of the church year with the beginning of church school.

Today is September 2(OS). There were a number of Troparion today...including post festal of the Baptized and Forerunner, John...Epistle Reading: 1 Corinthians 15:1-11, Gospel Reading: Matthew 19:16-26, Old Calendar commemoration of  Mammas the Martyr; John the Abstainer, Patriarch of Constantinople; Ammon & Aeithalas the Martyrs of Thrace.

AFAIK, New Year have separate Gospel and Epistle readings to be read alongside.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2013, 03:58:23 PM »

AFAIK, New Year have separate Gospel and Epistle readings to be read alongside.

Yesterday was Sept.1(OS). Ecclesiastical New Year; Synaxis of the Recovery of the Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos of Miasenae ; Jesus (Joshua) of Navi; Symeon the Stylite; 40 Holy Women Martyrs of Thrace; Holy Martyrs Calliste and Siblings: Euodus and Hermogenes; Righteous Meletius, The Struggler of the Muioupolis Mountain
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2013, 04:44:44 PM »

all very interesting.
do any other churches bring out the saints relics and have a procession and kiss the relic boxes?
i love that bit  Smiley

why is new year called indiction? is it something about talking (diction)?
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/indiction
A 15-year cycle used as a chronological unit in ancient Rome and incorporated in some medieval systems.

Dictionary - a place to look up words you do not know

Joseph
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2013, 05:58:33 PM »

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/indiction
A 15-year cycle used as a chronological unit in ancient Rome and incorporated in some medieval systems.

That's cold. I never heard it in 60 years of EO life. I know the church year starts in September as the Liturgicons and prayer books are all set up that way, but I never came across that term.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2013, 06:12:48 PM »

Optimist: Throw enough ideas at the wall and one is bound to stick.
Pessimist: Throw enough poo at the wall and the room is bound to stink.
Realist: You don't really need to throw things at walls to solve problems.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »

I'm afraid we have veered off-topic. In Burlingame, the ROCOR parish wore gold for the Indiction, so I think that gold is the proper colour, unless something else is indicated.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2013, 08:24:33 PM »

I'm afraid we have veered off-topic. In Burlingame, the ROCOR parish wore gold for the Indiction, so I think that gold is the proper colour, unless something else is indicated.

Just because ROCOR wore gold only means that in the ROCOR tradition, it's gold. Greeks and Antiochians use a different color pattern than do Russians. Not even all Slavs follow the same one, most don't, for example, wear red at Pascha or black apart from Great Friday.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2013, 04:38:42 AM »

so is indiction only celebrated once every 15 years?
my english language church experiences were mainly non denominational protestant (no big words) and my orthodox experiences are mainly in arabic. even the english speaking egyptians use arabic terms for church jargon, as they don't know how to say it in english!
i know a few latin terms from my catholic visits and a few specifically eastern orthodox terms in romanian.
so english is not my strong point!
 laugh
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2013, 04:54:56 AM »

so is indiction only celebrated once every 15 years?

This has to do with the Roman fiscal new year... St. Constantine introduced the 15 year cycle. So technically, each year would be the first or second or ... 15th of a certain indiction cycle (these were assigned a number too, but people have sort of lost track of them since they don't pay taxes according to ancient Roman law anymore).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiction
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2013, 11:04:31 PM »

This is the 560th year of the Fallen Indiction

Joseph
orthoreader
Elder

Faith: orthodox christian
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Los Angeles and the West

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2014, 01:32:15 PM »

This may be an odd question. But does anyone know of someone who can sew a set of Deacon's vestments in a hurry?
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »

This may be an odd question. But does anyone know of someone who can sew a set of Deacon's vestments in a hurry?

In a hurry?  God. 

Seriously, how soon do you need them? 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags: colors  liturgy  church year  indict  paraments  church vestments 
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: