Author Topic: "Hellbound" Documentary  (Read 2012 times)

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
"Hellbound" Documentary
« on: September 17, 2013, 06:37:12 AM »
I just watched this excellent documentary and found it to be very thought provoking. A very fair, balanced, and well produced examination of the doctrines of hell and universalism. Obviously, there are a lot of unorthodox ideas expressed, but there are also some very Orthodox opinions covered as well. I certainly would have preferred better Orthodox representatives than Frank Schaeffer and Abp Lazar Puhalo, but I must say that I thought the views they expressed about this subject in this documentary were very Orthodox and quite enlightening. I thought this film warranted its own thread of discussion. Judging from the first five minutes, I thought this was going to be merely another liberal hit piece on traditional Christianity. But it turned out to be a very in depth and objective examination of an issue that is older than Christianity itself. Well worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY1wdQS2Iig

Available on Netflix
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Hellbound/70251687?trkid=13462050

Selam

titles added - MK
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:08:03 PM by Michał Kalina »
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

• Merarches
Re: "Hellbound" Documentary
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 03:43:17 AM »
***BUMP***

"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline Nikolaostheservant

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »
I used to look for films like this but now, im begining to hate fillms like this.
Just another film/persons trying to "figure" out what God is/does. Or explaing the unexplainable.

When are we going to realize we are not able to comprehend what God is or what and why god does and for what reasons.

its not about intelect, brains, smart argumens...its about FAITH in God and accepting that we are mer peons unable to even come close to knowing his will.

I hope this saves people lots of time pondering the unknowable.
i be more benificial to say a few prayers and through grace to get a glimps of the mind of God.

and these people in the film make me want to puke. everyone trying to point out the others flaws!?!?

Offline bearpaws

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 12:34:44 PM »
I read some time ago that one pastor from "Hellbound?" who got fired because he was openly denying hell as protestants see it got into some "evangelical" sex addiction rehab and is "repenting" all over the internet from his "sin of denying" hell.
Brainwashed back into stiff protestant dogmas, or just out of money with no skills to live outside church and family to feed?

Just another film/persons trying to "figure" out what God is/does. Or explaing the unexplainable.

I kinda agree when it comes to details, but without this "figuring out", every christian would believe in something different than others :D

• Merarches
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 10:06:28 PM »
Although I by no means agree with everything in the film, I found it refreshingly objective. I also liked the in depth analysis of scripture from different points of view. Nikolaostheservant: I agree that ultimately these things are mysteries beyond our capacity to fully understand with the rational mind. However, I think it is important to wrestle to understand Orthodox truth to the best of our ability. If seeking to understand theology and doctrine is an unorthodox endeavor, then this forum should not exist. And in spite of all the unorthodox views expressed on this forum, it has nevertheless helped many of us come to a better understanding of Orthodox doctrines, Teachings and Traditions.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:18:52 PM »
It was okay. It had a "former Pastor" who was clearly biblically illiterate. It had my favorite RC Philosopher Peter Kreeft and it had Frank Shaeffer, Lazar Puhalo and a few other good Orthodox representatives.

The Evangelical/Westboro view of hell really didn't make the movie appealing though. And some of the movie sounded like a Protestant "revival" or "Charismatic" service... which was quite weird.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:19:25 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline #1Sinner

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:22:12 PM »
It was okay. It had a "former Pastor" who was clearly biblically illiterate. It had my favorite RC Philosopher Peter Kreeft and it had Frank Shaeffer, Lazar Puhalo and a few other good Orthodox representatives.

The Evangelical/Westboro view of hell really didn't make the movie appealing though. And some of the movie sounded like a Protestant "revival" or "Charismatic" service... which was quite weird.

You consider an Obama fanboy and an "archbishop" who favors Same Sex "marriage" to be good Orthodox representation?
You ignored my correction to GMK's post and kept insulting a hierarch of the Church. And tried to start a political debate. Moreover, as an apostate, you are not allowed in this section (among others) to argue what is accordingly to you "orthodox" and what is not.

30 days of warning - MK.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:30:55 PM by Michał Kalina »
I hereby recant of defending "orthodoxy" and trying to persuade fellow Catholics of embracing schism. I adhere to the Catholic Faith as preserved by the Church of Rome and Her Pontiffs.

• Merarches
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »

You consider an Obama fanboy and an "archbishop" who favors Same Sex "marriage" to be good Orthodox representation?

I didn't like those two "Orthodox" representatives either. However, I think their opinions on this particular topic were pretty sound. Schaeffer obviously goes way too far in diminishing the Bible like he did, but his other thoughts in this documentary were right on target in my opinion.

Selam
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +

Offline bearpaws

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 10:03:09 AM »
and an "archbishop" who favors Same Sex "marriage" to be good Orthodox representation?

Either you don't know what "favored" means, or didn't pay attention to what archbishop said. Affirming constitutional rights, but saying "I would rather go to jail than allow same sex marriage desecrate the church" doesn't sound like favoring, or does it for you?
I shouldn't even ask, I know sedevacantist sect mindset too well  ::)

I think Abp Lazar Puhalo has far better results in evangelizing and inviting people step by step to the Orthodoxy with his attitude of "You can do what you want, you have civil rights, but being Orthodox you should know there is no marriage between same sex and you should live in abstinence" than others who like to judge and school people on every step, which ultimately push people away from the church.
According to some people"real Orthodoxy" is judgmental, soulless concept which cares only for institution, not people. Their Jesus would be like "Hey! you wh*re! stop sinning in this instant or I'm gonna stone you myself minutes after I excommunicate and condemn you, so my people wouldn't look at me like on a heretic!", instead of biblical Jesus who goes to eat with sinners and teach them AFTER he got their trust... Is it really so obsolete today? Were desert Fathers so terribly wrong?

proper titles added - MK
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:22:40 PM by Michał Kalina »

Offline Nikolaostheservant

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 12:25:14 PM »
I just dont think Orthodoxy needs to be evaluated to the degree it is.
This is a mostly convert issue, back in the day you were told what orthodoxy is and you then went from there, either beliving or not.
No one would try to justifie to you HOW the bread and wine become the Body and Blood of christ. and then troiuble shoot how it could possibly happen....
I realise the majority of us on this forum are converts and thats why i have stopped arguing diff points. but some things get to me :)

You/We belive caus of FAITH not because its the most logical religion out there. we are not Vulcans !

better to let you all realise things for yourself.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:27:08 PM by Nikolaostheservant »

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 01:23:49 PM »
Following posters discussing legalizing homosexual marriages receive 30 days of moderation straight. Go to Politics. There are plenty of threads where you can do it.

If you do not have an access there, ask Fr. George.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 01:25:10 PM by Michał Kalina »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline #1Sinner

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »

You ignored my correction to GMK's post and kept insulting a hierarch of the Church. And tried to start a political debate. Moreover, as an apostate, you are not allowed in this section (among others) to argue what is accordingly to you "orthodox" and what is not.

30 days of warning - MK.

I asked a question whether the poster felt that those individuals were good representations of Orthodoxy. I made no such statements regarding my own ideas of what is or is not "Orthodox."

You're really nothing more then a troll anyway, MK. How someone who contributes so little and offers nothing but snark became a "moderator" is beyond me.

Stuff your 30 days of warning and ban me already.
 40 days. You are welcome - MK
I hereby recant of defending "orthodoxy" and trying to persuade fellow Catholics of embracing schism. I adhere to the Catholic Faith as preserved by the Church of Rome and Her Pontiffs.