OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 05:15:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: [PLEASE READ ARTICLE FIRST] Given a 9-week old brain in a jar
The brain should be kept alive and allowed to develop fully. - 2 (33.3%)
The brain's life should be terminated - 1 (16.7%)
Other (explain) - 3 (50%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethical brain teaser  (Read 637 times) Average Rating: 0
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

יהוה עזי ומגני

« on: August 28, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »

Scientists have successfully grown a human brain in a jar. My question is not whether this should be done -it has been done (though you can speak to this too if you wish) but given that one has a living brain in a jar what should be done with it (him/her?). Please discuss your vote.

"“We’re talking about the very first steps of embryonic brain development, like in the first nine weeks of pregnancy,” Knoblich said.

...Using molecular markers tuned to specific parts of the brain, Lancaster showed that the organoids develop a variety of distinctive zones that correspond to human brain regions like the prefrontal cortex, occipital lobe, hippocampus, and retina. They also included working neurons, which were produced in the right way—they were made by radial glial cells at the innermost layers of the cortex, before migrating to the outer layers.

Other scientists have developed organoids that mimic several human organs, including eyes, kidneys, intestines, and even brains. For example, in 2008, Yoshiki Sasai’s team at the RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology showed that stem cells can be coaxed into balls of neural cells that self-organize into distinctive layers. But compared to this earlier attempt, the new organoids are “the most complete to date, in terms of features that directly resemble those in the developing human brain,” according to Arnold Kriegstein, a stem cell biologist from the University of California, San Francisco, who was not involved in the study."

Full article:
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/37262/title/Lab-Grown-Model-Brains/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:25:01 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »

I voted "other" because "I don't know" wasn't offered as an option.

The article clearly states that what has been "grown" are "models".  So, the question is a little misleading, as the article discusses models not brains.  As far as I know, a model is a representation of something, not the thing itself.  Is the "model" human?  I doubt it, but I'm no bio-ethicist.  Could the "model" develop into a human?  Again, I have no idea.  Way above my pay grade.  So...I don't know.  

That scientists have done this scares me, but it doesn't surprise me really.  Joke: What's the difference between God and a doctor (or scientist)?  God doesn't believe He's a doctor(scientist). angel
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:03:46 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »

"organoids" ....what a word.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »

I am freaked out now.  Can the brain think?  Shocked

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »

Mine does.  Well....sometimes.  Okay....pretty infrequently.  And, it is painful, so.....

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 04:11:17 PM »

How would anyone know?

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 04:11:56 PM »

After reading the article, I am less freaked out, but I still think there are a lot of ethical questions here...

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:40:41 AM »

I don't see the ethical violation.  They haven't created a functioning brain.  These are living cells that have arranged themselves in such a fashion.  Is it ethical that my skin cells constantly die and float in the air?  Or if I scrub it off with a loofah?  No.  This would be unethical if we consider a brain kept "alive" as a human being/person.  As a person, I am not a brain surrounded by a meat sack. 

xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 07:48:58 AM »

It likely cannot think, it doesn't have senses to analyze and think critically. It's just a non-working mass. Unless it was "hooked up" with other elements, it probably couldn't function. I mean... what is there to think about if you cannot see, feel or hear. There's really no information to obtain if you don't/can't have senses. Plus, without blood the brain cannot be sustained.

That is, unless the scientists have developed a way to input information into the brain remotely, without the need of eyes, ears etc.

The brain by itself without other elements, is useless.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 07:56:34 AM »

I don't see the ethical violation.  They haven't created a functioning brain.  These are living cells that have arranged themselves in such a fashion.  Is it ethical that my skin cells constantly die and float in the air?  Or if I scrub it off with a loofah?  No.  This would be unethical if we consider a brain kept "alive" as a human being/person.  As a person, I am not a brain surrounded by a meat sack. 
I don't think its current status is an ethical violation, but the natural inclination will be to continue to develop the research in ways that it might be able to have some level of functionality, and that, I think, would have serious ethical issues associated with it.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 07:59:07 AM »

I don't think its current status is an ethical violation, but the natural inclination will be to continue to develop the research in ways that it might be able to have some level of functionality, and that, I think, would have serious ethical issues associated with it.

Like if it were able to develop higher function and they placed the brain in a dead person's cranium?  That would be unethical. 

TheTrisagion
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:01:43 AM »

Or if they developed higher function and stuck it in a mouse.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 08:13:35 AM »

Hahahaha, that would be horrifying. laugh

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 09:22:22 AM »

Or if they developed higher function and stuck it in a mouse.

Already in the works.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1934590913000076
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/mind-guest-blog/2013/05/09/human-brain-cells-alive-in-mouse-brains/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:29:06 AM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2013, 09:29:27 AM »

I always thought that the words of TheTrisagion were prophetic.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:30:32 AM by J Michael » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 09:39:20 AM »

..."If I only had a brain!"

...Oh, but, wait...now you can!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
BryanS

Faith: Evangelical Protestant
Jurisdiction: Congregational

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 09:59:20 AM »

It likely cannot think, it doesn't have senses to analyze and think critically. It's just a non-working mass. Unless it was "hooked up" with other elements, it probably couldn't function. I mean... what is there to think about if you cannot see, feel or hear. There's really no information to obtain if you don't/can't have senses. Plus, without blood the brain cannot be sustained.

That is, unless the scientists have developed a way to input information into the brain remotely, without the need of eyes, ears etc.

The brain by itself without other elements, is useless.

I have no mouth, and I must scream.  Lips Sealed
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: