Poll

[PLEASE READ ARTICLE FIRST] Given a 9-week old brain in a jar

The brain should be kept alive and allowed to develop fully.
2 (33.3%)
The brain's life should be terminated
1 (16.7%)
Other (explain)
3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Ethical brain teaser  (Read 696 times)

Offline xariskai

• юродивый/yurodivy
  • OC.net guru
  • יהוה עזי ומגני
  • Faith: Orthodox
Ethical brain teaser
« on: August 28, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »
Scientists have successfully grown a human brain in a jar. My question is not whether this should be done -it has been done (though you can speak to this too if you wish) but given that one has a living brain in a jar what should be done with it (him/her?). Please discuss your vote.

"“We’re talking about the very first steps of embryonic brain development, like in the first nine weeks of pregnancy,” Knoblich said.

...Using molecular markers tuned to specific parts of the brain, Lancaster showed that the organoids develop a variety of distinctive zones that correspond to human brain regions like the prefrontal cortex, occipital lobe, hippocampus, and retina. They also included working neurons, which were produced in the right way—they were made by radial glial cells at the innermost layers of the cortex, before migrating to the outer layers.

Other scientists have developed organoids that mimic several human organs, including eyes, kidneys, intestines, and even brains. For example, in 2008, Yoshiki Sasai’s team at the RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology showed that stem cells can be coaxed into balls of neural cells that self-organize into distinctive layers. But compared to this earlier attempt, the new organoids are “the most complete to date, in terms of features that directly resemble those in the developing human brain,” according to Arnold Kriegstein, a stem cell biologist from the University of California, San Francisco, who was not involved in the study."

Full article:
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/37262/title/Lab-Grown-Model-Brains/
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:25:01 PM by xariskai »

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
Re: Ethical brain teaser
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »
I voted "other" because "I don't know" wasn't offered as an option.

The article clearly states that what has been "grown" are "models".  So, the question is a little misleading, as the article discusses models not brains.  As far as I know, a model is a representation of something, not the thing itself.  Is the "model" human?  I doubt it, but I'm no bio-ethicist.  Could the "model" develop into a human?  Again, I have no idea.  Way above my pay grade.  So...I don't know.  

That scientists have done this scares me, but it doesn't surprise me really.  Joke: What's the difference between God and a doctor (or scientist)?  God doesn't believe He's a doctor(scientist). :angel:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:03:46 PM by J Michael »
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »

"organoids" ....what a word.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline TheTrisagion

• The Purple Demon is gonna get you if you don't watch out!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »
I am freaked out now.  Can the brain think?  :o
Quote from: Mor Ephrem
Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »

Mine does.  Well....sometimes.  Okay....pretty infrequently.  And, it is painful, so.....
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 04:11:17 PM »

How would anyone know?

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 04:11:56 PM »
After reading the article, I am less freaked out, but I still think there are a lot of ethical questions here...

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Orthodox-ethnically delicious
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in AmericaOutsideAmerica
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 07:40:41 AM »
I don't see the ethical violation.  They haven't created a functioning brain.  These are living cells that have arranged themselves in such a fashion.  Is it ethical that my skin cells constantly die and float in the air?  Or if I scrub it off with a loofah?  No.  This would be unethical if we consider a brain kept "alive" as a human being/person.  As a person, I am not a brain surrounded by a meat sack. 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Protokentarchos
  • Not quite as cute as a kitten :(
  • Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 07:48:58 AM »
It likely cannot think, it doesn't have senses to analyze and think critically. It's just a non-working mass. Unless it was "hooked up" with other elements, it probably couldn't function. I mean... what is there to think about if you cannot see, feel or hear. There's really no information to obtain if you don't/can't have senses. Plus, without blood the brain cannot be sustained.

That is, unless the scientists have developed a way to input information into the brain remotely, without the need of eyes, ears etc.

The brain by itself without other elements, is useless.
"Your children shall become the head, but you... will become the tail of the Church; therefore your judges will be those who have always preserved the Catholic Faith... they will be the Orthodox and true Catholics since they have never accepted heretics... but have remained zealous for the True Faith." (Western Bishops' Response to Pope Vigilius)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 07:56:34 AM »
I don't see the ethical violation.  They haven't created a functioning brain.  These are living cells that have arranged themselves in such a fashion.  Is it ethical that my skin cells constantly die and float in the air?  Or if I scrub it off with a loofah?  No.  This would be unethical if we consider a brain kept "alive" as a human being/person.  As a person, I am not a brain surrounded by a meat sack. 
I don't think its current status is an ethical violation, but the natural inclination will be to continue to develop the research in ways that it might be able to have some level of functionality, and that, I think, would have serious ethical issues associated with it.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 07:59:07 AM »
I don't think its current status is an ethical violation, but the natural inclination will be to continue to develop the research in ways that it might be able to have some level of functionality, and that, I think, would have serious ethical issues associated with it.

Like if it were able to develop higher function and they placed the brain in a dead person's cranium?  That would be unethical. 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 08:01:43 AM »
Or if they developed higher function and stuck it in a mouse.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 08:13:35 AM »
Hahahaha, that would be horrifying. :laugh:

Offline xariskai

• юродивый/yurodivy
  • OC.net guru
  • יהוה עזי ומגני
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:29:06 AM by xariskai »

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:30:32 AM by J Michael »

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 09:39:20 AM »

..."If I only had a brain!"

...Oh, but, wait...now you can!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline BryanS

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 09:59:20 AM »
It likely cannot think, it doesn't have senses to analyze and think critically. It's just a non-working mass. Unless it was "hooked up" with other elements, it probably couldn't function. I mean... what is there to think about if you cannot see, feel or hear. There's really no information to obtain if you don't/can't have senses. Plus, without blood the brain cannot be sustained.

That is, unless the scientists have developed a way to input information into the brain remotely, without the need of eyes, ears etc.

The brain by itself without other elements, is useless.

I have no mouth, and I must scream.  :-X