OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 04:30:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dormition Services  (Read 1036 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: August 28, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »

Greetings on the Feast Day of the Dormition of the Mother of God!!!

I have a question concerning services surrounding this Feast Day.

We usually have a Divine Liturgy...and I understand we "should" have had a Vespers the evening before.

However, I was speaking with a monk the other day, and he was telling me that he has a really long night ahead....an all-nighter, if you will, with services entering this Feast Day.

What is that all about?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:52:54 PM »

Must be a Greek thing. Never heard of that.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:54:51 PM »

The Dormition is an all-night vigil rank feast, but that is not very often done any more. Unless the Theotokos is the patron of the church or monastery.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »

Ah, yes.  He was Greek, and yes she was the Patron of the monastery.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »

We had all night vigil last night but it was truncated to 2.5 hours. 
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 03:22:07 PM »

Really?

You're not Greek.  Wink

—St. Isaac of Syria
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 04:57:04 PM »

Happy Feast Day!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »

Thank You!!!! Same to you!!!

—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 05:08:40 PM »

We had all night vigil last night but it was truncated to 2.5 hours. 

I had a vigil a fortnight ago and it lasted 1:45, like usual. Although, I attended the DL only yesterday.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 07:25:49 PM »

...prolonging the experience?  Wink

—St. Isaac of Syria
mildert
Deacon Philip

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 06:43:27 AM »

If you had the service for the Dormition including singing the Lamnentations in front of the Plaschynitsa then the service could be reasonably long...

In XC,

Deacon Philip
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 07:56:58 AM »

My parish did the matins with plaschynitsa for the first time this year. Apparently it is not a universal practice- the Bulgarian diocese of Plovdiv also did it for the first time.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »

I read the all-night vigil by myself last night. Even as a reader service, it took 70 minutes.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 09:01:27 AM »

Wow.  Impressive.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »

All of the 12 Great Feasts (and the Dormition is one) are specified as Class I or Class II feasts. Feasts of the Lord are Class I, a All-Night Vigil is prescribed. Feasts of the Theotokos are Class II and also require an All-Night Vigil (some well-known saints, like St. Nicholas, are also a Class II feast). Some Class II feasts offer an option for Great Vespers and Matins separately or to serve a Vigil, others require a Vigil. Theotokos Great Feasts are of the latter.

My home parish always serves a Vigil for each of the 12 Great Feasts. I once attended the Vigil for Dormition at Holy Cross Monastery (ROCOR) in WVa. The service was about 4 hours. At my home parish, Vigils generally take between 1.5 to 2 hours.

Also, Arachne, our chapel served the Vigil for Dormition this year, and it also took us about an hour and a half!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 04:02:12 AM »

My parish did the matins with plaschynitsa for the first time this year. Apparently it is not a universal practice- the Bulgarian diocese of Plovdiv also did it for the first time.

There is a note in the Arabic version of the typikon, which states that the service of Lamentions to the Theotokos is an abuse and should not be used. The full Arabic Typikon has been translated into English and can be downloaded at almoutran.com/pdf/typikon.pdf‎ It is basically the Greek Typikon of Violakis, but has footnotes indicating the differences between it and the Typikon of St. Sabba as well as indicating modern Antiochian practice. For example the Greek typikon of the late 19th century moved the Matins Gospel from its proper place to after the 8th ode of the canon. In Antiochian usage, we chant the Matins Gospel in its traditional place.

Fr. John W. Morris
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »

There is a note in the Arabic version of the typikon, which states that the service of Lamentions to the Theotokos is an abuse and should not be used.

Why is that?

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 10:21:09 AM »

There is a note in the Arabic version of the typikon, which states that the service of Lamentions to the Theotokos is an abuse and should not be used. The full Arabic Typikon has been translated into English and can be downloaded at almoutran.com/pdf/typikon.pdf‎ It is basically the Greek Typikon of Violakis, but has footnotes indicating the differences between it and the Typikon of St. Sabba as well as indicating modern Antiochian practice. For example the Greek typikon of the late 19th century moved the Matins Gospel from its proper place to after the 8th ode of the canon. In Antiochian usage, we chant the Matins Gospel in its traditional place.

Fr. John W. Morris
Is the Arabic version (as, in Arabic) online, Father?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 11:52:15 AM »

There is a note in the Arabic version of the typikon, which states that the service of Lamentions to the Theotokos is an abuse and should not be used.

Why is that?

The note which is in the original Greek version, calls the service of the Lamentations of the Theotokos "novel and inelegant"  and states that the "Great Church" "strictly forbids" such innovations.

Fr. John

Fr. John
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »

Its some kind of preparation vigil where you stay up all night and say the prayers until morning.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:07:50 PM by WPM » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 12:41:47 PM »

Why is that?

The note which is in the original Greek version, calls the service of the Lamentations of the Theotokos "novel and inelegant"  and states that the "Great Church" "strictly forbids" such innovations.

Cheesy Thanks Father. Good to know. It kind of makes me even happier that we do it.

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 01:05:01 PM »

The note which is in the original Greek version, calls the service of the Lamentations of the Theotokos "novel and inelegant".

The same could be said about the Psalter of the Theotokos attributed to St. Dimitry of Rostov, which is still used by some as a private devotion around here.

As far as shlock devotions are concerned, none can compete with the patriotic Akathists to Romanian Saints. I remember having to read one (at first sight) in church for St. Andrew a couple of years back. I blushed while I read it. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:19:32 PM by Romaios » Logged
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »

Fr. John W. Morris
Is the Arabic version (as, in Arabic) online, Father?

Not in Arabic. However the English translation is at  almoutran.com/pdf/typikon.pdf

Fr. John
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 02:44:21 PM »

Why is that?

Fr. John

Fr. John
I've heard it referred to as the "Jerusalem Rite" before and I know of one ROCOR monastery that has celebrated it. Is it really that bad? What's the problem with it?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »

Why is that?

Fr. John

Fr. John
I've heard it referred to as the "Jerusalem Rite" before and I know of one ROCOR monastery that has celebrated it. Is it really that bad? What's the problem with it?

In Christ,
Andrew
It didn't originate in Constantinople. The "City" is touchy about such things, for no good reason.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2013, 03:42:01 PM »

It didn't originate in Constantinople. The "City" is touchy about such things, for no good reason.

According to this blog entry, the practice started in Jerusalem in the 15th century.

The Athonites don't do it either.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »

According to this blog entry, the practice started in Jerusalem in the 15th century.

The Athonites don't do it either.
from your link
However, it should trouble us seriously the fact that both the Holy Mountain and the Ecumenical Patriarchate do not sing the praise of the Virgin Mary.
No, it shouldn't.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 03:45:14 PM by ialmisry » Logged

frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »

Why is that?

Fr. John

Fr. John

In Christ,
Andrew

You misunderstand me. I am making no judgments on the service itself. I merely thought that the readers of this site might find it interesting to know that it is forbidden by the Greek Typikon.

Fr. John
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 09:08:15 PM »

Why is that?

Fr. John

Fr. John

In Christ,
Andrew

You misunderstand me. I am making no judgments on the service itself. I merely thought that the readers of this site might find it interesting to know that it is forbidden by the Greek Typikon.

Fr. John
My apologies, Father! That is interesting that the Greek typikon says that. I suppose that doesn't stop Greeks from celebrating the service. I recall seeing a video on YouTube of the performance of the Lamentations in Greek.

I have been reading through the typikon you recommended on this thread for a few months. It has been extraordinarily helpful in my understanding of the services. Thank you for sharing it here with others.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 09:18:22 PM »

Why is that?

Fr. John

Fr. John

In Christ,
Andrew

Fr. John

I think the issue may be here is which "Greek Typikon" you are referring to. I can think of 6 "Greek" Typikons that are currently published, and while they are similar, there are differences in each of them. There are also 2 competing Arabic Typikons, one published in Beirut and the other in Syria (in these the differences are quite noticeable), and as relevant to this discussion, the Syrian one indicates that the "Lamentations" be chanted. Here is a copy of the Arabic text for those that want them... http://www.dowama.org/sites/docs/Lamentations%20Theotokos%20%28Ar%29.PDF

I am also including a copy of the Greek text... http://www.dowama.org/sites/docs/Lamentations%20for%20the%20Dormition%20%20in%20Greek.pdf
Those who are familiar with Greek might be interested in the last section with the Evlogataria to the Theotokos. There is some interesting "theology" in them which may be the reason for never hearing that section being done anywhere.

Joseph
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 09:49:33 PM »

Why is that?

Fr. John

Fr. John

In Christ,
Andrew

Fr. John
My apologies, Father! That is interesting that the Greek typikon says that. I suppose that doesn't stop Greeks from celebrating the service. I recall seeing a video on YouTube of the performance of the Lamentations in Greek.

I have been reading through the typikon you recommended on this thread for a few months. It has been extraordinarily helpful in my understanding of the services. Thank you for sharing it here with others.

In Christ,
Andrew

Thank you for your kind comments about the Typikon. Bishop Demetri and I worked on it for several years. I rearranged it in outline form to make it easier to follow.

Fr. John W. Morris
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »

I do recall one of the hymns referring to the Theotokos as "Wisdom" but I don't remember if this was in Matins or in the Lamentations.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: