OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:22:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Polish Census of 1931  (Read 3652 times) Average Rating: 0
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« on: July 16, 2013, 07:09:08 PM »

I just thought this interesting:

Language                 Total            Roman Catholics Greek Catholics  Eastern Orthodox Evangelical(Luthern) Other Christian Jewish   Other
Polish                      21,993,000   20,333,000         487,000            497,000              219,000                   55,000            372,000 30,000
Ukrainian/Belarusian  6,278,000        107,000      2,845,000         3,239,000                  9,000                   73,000                1,000  4,000
Lithuanian                     83,000          83,000             -                      -                         -                            -                       -          -
Czech                           38,000            8,000             -                    22,000                 6,000                      1,000                 -          -
German                       741,000       118,000              -                                           599,000                     16,000               7,000    1,000
Yiddish                      2,732,000          -                     -                      -                        -                             -                2,731,000   1,000
Other                            50,000        20,000              4,000               4,000                 2,000                                              3,000  17,000
Total                      31,915,000  20,670,000       3,336,000         3,762,000              835,000                   145,000         3,114,000 53,000
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_history_of_Poland

Odd, given the bond between the original Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the Rus' that no Orthodox or GC Lithuanians are recorded, but almost half a million Poles each are (the numbers were actually higher-the 1931 is admitted to have counted down minorities of all sorts.  Which, of course is why the Second Polish Republic ended up like the First Polish Republic-in oblivion).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 06:49:41 PM »

Odd, given the bond between the original Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the Rus' that no Orthodox or GC Lithuanians are recorded,

I thought you already knew that GDL and modern Lithuanians have nothing in common but name,.

but almost half a million Poles each are (the numbers were actually higher-the 1931 is admitted to have counted down minorities of all sorts.

Yeah, a bit.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:49:54 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:47:42 AM »

Isa, you've outdone yourself with this!! Grin Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Byron
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Nationalist

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 01:55:07 AM »

So in 1931 almost half a million Poles identified with Orthodoxy.

I wonder how many ethnic Poles today (not from Belarussian, Ukrainian or Ruthenian background) are Orthodox? Very few i imagine.

I. Metaxas - 4th of August Regime

"Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion".

Nationalism, Monarchy, Family and Orthodoxy.
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 02:00:08 AM »

Odd, given the bond between the original Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the Rus' that no Orthodox or GC Lithuanians are recorded,

I thought you already knew that GDL and modern Lithuanians have nothing in common but name

Not exactly: the rulers were, and spoke, Lithuanian until Alexander (the last ruler to have an Orthodox connection), and the Lithuanians did form the core of the state which expanded into the Rus' lands.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 02:36:08 AM »

Half a milion of people put in the census as Poles. That's a difference.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »

Half a milion of people put in the census as Poles. That's a difference.

Quite right.   During the II Polish Republic, especially Post 1926, there was great pressure on national minorities to assimilate into Poles.  I am sure the 1931 census counting reflects this. 

Here's a question.   Does anyone know what happened to the raw data used for this census?   The house by house enumerations?   There must be a story of where it went.  Although most of the Austrian raw data was destroyed in a 1927 fire, some exists.   And some provinces in Ukraine still have the 1897 Russian census sheets for each house.  So is there any raw data from the 1931 Polish census?   
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 12:57:42 PM »

I question if we can trust the date.  The minorities in the 1931s in Poland were prececuted so who knows how the census was taken.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »

I question if we can trust the date.  The minorities in the 1931s in Poland were prececuted so who knows how the census was taken.
We know that the numbers were fudged, in favor of the Vatican's Poles. What is surprising is despite that, the numbers of Orthodox, and Orthodox Poles, being that high officially.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »

What is surprising is despite that, the numbers of Orthodox, and Orthodox Poles, being that high officially.

What is suprising? Half of the teritory of the state was inhabited by Orthodox Belarusians or Ukrainians. They couldn't disappear into nowhere.

And the state starting polonisation of the Church is another story. I linked and interesting text written by my rector (himself a Polish convert BTW) here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,35794.0.html

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 01:38:47 PM »

What is surprising is despite that, the numbers of Orthodox, and Orthodox Poles, being that high officially.

What is suprising? Half of the teritory of the state was inhabited by Orthodox Belarusians or Ukrainians. They couldn't disappear into nowhere.
Not that the Second Polish Republic didn't try
And the state starting polonisation of the Church is another story. I linked and interesting text written by my rector (himself a Polish convert BTW) here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,35794.0.html
The book "The Polish Revolution and the Catholic Church, 1788-1792: A Political History" By Richard Butterwick deals with the mad dash of the First Republic trying to get an autonomous/autocephalous Church of Poland.
http://books.google.com/books?id=TlQQdbfi_v0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Catholic+Church+and+the+Polish+Revolution&hl=en&sa=X&ei=CIofUqGZLqi52wWz94HABw&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Catholic%20Church%20and%20the%20Polish%20Revolution&f=false

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 01:40:36 PM »

Autocephaling was only one means to gain polonisation.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 01:44:13 PM »

Yes, if I am understanding the article you linked correctly, the government forced the Church to stick with Church Slavonic, because the services translated into Polish proved too popular with the Poles.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 01:59:06 PM »

Yes, if I am understanding the article you linked correctly, the government forced the Church to stick with Church Slavonic, because the services translated into Polish proved too popular with the Poles.

After trying to stick them to Polish beforehands.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags: Poland Polish Polish Orthodox Church Belarus 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: