OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 04:45:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incongruity in Economy  (Read 812 times) Average Rating: 0
serbknight

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: August 27, 2013, 06:37:33 PM »

I have come to agree with the catholic/traditional orthodox view of artificial contraception over the last couple of days. Shocked I was reading Father Hopko's interview and in it he said he would bless artificial contraception as a lesser evil in some circumstances but goes on to say that such arguments could never be used to justify fornication(like an engaged couple is thrown in prison for life right before their marriage). Is is just me or does this seem very inconsistent? Here is the article: http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/evans/070615

He does not talk about NFP ,which is strange since it would solve the issues he talks about.The lesser evil argument fails when there is a perfectly moral alternative.

BTW, in your response specify if you also also hold to the pre-1970's orthodox view (artificial contraception strictly forbidden). Thanks everyone!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 06:39:41 PM »

Try reading about what the Fathers said about the subject. You can start with a Roman Catholic if you wish: John T. Noonan.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:39:50 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
serbknight

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:39:19 PM »

I rather stay away from liberal catholics  Tongue
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:14:11 PM »

Good luck finding a better survey of the subject in English. If you don't care for his commentary then just read the voluminous quotes from the Church Fathers and other literature, and check the context for yourself.

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: