OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:53:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St Theodore the Studite  (Read 224 times) Average Rating: 0
John of Patmos
Sinful Newbie

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek (not yet catechumen)

Saint Polycarp, my patron

« on: August 27, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »

So after reading half of His Broken Body (in 3 days), it seems as though Theodore the Studite was a "proto"-eastern Catholic.  In other words, he seemed to have supported the Papacy more than other Greek Fathers.  Is that a fair statement?

Holy Father John Chrysostom, intercede for me!
That map ialmisry posted just makes me want to play Crusader Kings II.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »

So after reading half of His Broken Body (in 3 days), it seems as though Theodore the Studite was a "proto"-eastern Catholic.  In other words, he seemed to have supported the Papacy more than other Greek Fathers.  Is that a fair statement?
Not any more than anyone living at a time when Old Rome was Orthodox and New Rome was oppressed by heretics.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
WPM
Archon

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »

I would think he was the patron saint of students who study
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:36:04 PM »

No. One must look at the context and history, as well as take non-Orthodox books with a grain of salt. St. Theodore was a fan of the Roman pope because, at that time, the Roman pope was Orthodox. Also, he was the one voice of Orthodoxy in the non-Islamic sphere. (Not sure about Antioch, whether at the time it was ruled by the Mohammedans or the Eastern Romans.) The Patriarch of Constantinople, if he were Orthodox, was deposed by the Iconoclastic emperor.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: