OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 10:01:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roman vs. Eastern  (Read 2553 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« on: August 27, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »

Apparently there are some folks who have switched from Roman Catholicism to Eastern Catholicism. Why did you made the switch? Does Easten Catholicism feel different to Roman Catholicism?

EDIT: Wut? Mods, please move this to the Catholic subforum.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:58:54 PM by Alpo » Logged

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:10:07 PM »

It is because the Holy Spirit is inevitable drawing them to the Orthodox Church. EC tis but a passing phase to something more glorious.

#hyperdox

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »

Apparently there are some folks who have switched from Roman Catholicism to Eastern Catholicism. Why did you made the switch? Does Easten Catholicism feel different to Roman Catholicism?

I'm not Catholic, but they seemed quite different to me. For one example, the worship services I've been to in a Byzantine Catholic Church seemed much closer to Orthodox worship than Roman Catholic worship (the latter reminding me more of a solemn Protestant service). I would imagine the private prayers would also differ, but then I'm probably still too steeped in Orthodox practice to recognize much at this point...
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »

While I am not officially a Byzantine a Byzantine Parish Exclusively.

Here are my reasons:
1. I am just sick to death of liturgical problems in the Latin Church. I want to go where God is being worshiped most reverently, and that happens to be in the Eastern Catholic Churches. Some will say this is a bad reason to attend a Byzantine Church, and I understand their reasons. However, I have to go where the Catholic faith is best practiced.
2. I love the Divine Liturgy; it's absolutely beautiful.
3. I love the small parish in Albuquerque. It feels like a home.
4. I really appreciate the Byzantine approach to theology, the sacraments, the afterlife, etc.

Oh, and does it feel different? Well, I'm not sure. I am still loving and worshiping the same Christ.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:15:35 PM by Papist » Logged

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 03:36:02 PM »

4. I really appreciate the Byzantine approach to theology, the sacraments, the afterlife, etc.

In your opinion, what is the Byzantine approach to theology?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:36:17 PM by Alpo » Logged

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:48:10 PM »

In your opinion, what is the Byzantine approach to theology?
Leaving things more to mystery, less of need to define and systematize, etc. As a person who struggles with scrupulocity/OCD, this approach is spiritually refreshing.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »

BTW, The possibility of officially switching from the Roman to the Ruthenian Church is always in the back of my mind.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:17:08 PM »

It is because the Holy Spirit is inevitable drawing them to the Orthodox Church. EC tis but a passing phase to something more glorious.

#hyperdox
I am evidence that that is not the case.  Smiley

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »

I'm not Catholic, but they seemed quite different to me. For one example, the worship services I've been to in a Byzantine Catholic Church seemed much closer to Orthodox worship than Roman Catholic worship (the latter reminding me more of a solemn Protestant service). I would imagine the private prayers would also differ, but then I'm probably still too steeped in Orthodox practice to recognize much at this point...

With the resurgence of the Tridentine Mass I have a feeling people will be more apt to enjoy that than the Novus Ordo Mass.  I have watched some traditional mass videos and they are more similar to an Orthodox Liturgy than the Novus Ordo.  In fact, I like them, although I do not understand all of it.  I saw one video from 1941 (I think) which was attempting to explain the steps, but it was a poor quality video.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:28:44 PM by Kerdy » Logged
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 09:35:59 PM »

#hyperdox
The True Church has always had its apostates and wolves in sheep clothing.  I'm keeping my eye on you, wolf!  Grin

JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:32:45 PM »

#hyperdox

This "in between church" aka The Eastern Catholic Church was originally formed to act as a bridge of union between Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy, but as it turns out for many, this bridge is a means to walk from one discipline to another.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 07:09:15 AM »

This "in between church" aka The Eastern Catholic Church was originally formed to act as a bridge of union between Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy,

What?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »

#hyperdox
The True Church has always had its apostates and wolves in sheep clothing.  I'm keeping my eye on you, wolf!  Grin
Cheesy I'm one of those dangerous "Romans," "Communicants of the Vatican," "Vaticanists," etc. You can never be too careful with us.  Cheesy

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 11:10:59 AM »

With the resurgence of the Tridentine Mass I have a feeling people will be more apt to enjoy that than the Novus Ordo Mass.  I have watched some traditional mass videos and they are more similar to an Orthodox Liturgy than the Novus Ordo.  In fact, I like them, although I do not understand all of it.  I saw one video from 1941 (I think) which was attempting to explain the steps, but it was a poor quality video.
This is an excellent point. Wherever the Latin mass is celebrated, it is loved. We have one here in town that I have attended on occasion.

Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »

With the resurgence of the Tridentine Mass I have a feeling people will be more apt to enjoy that than the Novus Ordo Mass.  I have watched some traditional mass videos and they are more similar to an Orthodox Liturgy than the Novus Ordo.  In fact, I like them, although I do not understand all of it.  I saw one video from 1941 (I think) which was attempting to explain the steps, but it was a poor quality video.
This is an excellent point. Wherever the Latin mass is celebrated, it is loved. We have one here in town that I have attended on occasion.

I am all for the Tridentine Mass if it can be said in the vernacular. Africans will not accept Latin lol. They will you and your Latin liturgy home  Grin  laugh
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:16:59 AM by Wandile » Logged

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 11:28:26 AM »

With the resurgence of the Tridentine Mass I have a feeling people will be more apt to enjoy that than the Novus Ordo Mass.  I have watched some traditional mass videos and they are more similar to an Orthodox Liturgy than the Novus Ordo.  In fact, I like them, although I do not understand all of it.  I saw one video from 1941 (I think) which was attempting to explain the steps, but it was a poor quality video.

I am all for the Tridentine Mass if it can be said in the vernacular. Africans will not accept Latin lol. They will you and your Latin liturgy home  Grin  laugh
I always thought that rather than creating the NO, Rome should have simply translated the TLM into the venacular. But who whom am I to tell Rome what to do?  Grin

Napoletani

Faith: Romanian Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 12:44:48 PM »

I'm both roman and eastern, i'm Romanian Orthodox. Keep trying to be like us  Grin

Romania,striga tare sa te aud
Romania,noi suntem Leii din Sud
Si din mormant voi striga,Stiinta e echipa mea
De te nasti aici si cresti,ramai Anti'Bucuresti
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »

I always thought that rather than creating the NO, Rome should have simply translated the TLM into the venacular. But who whom am I to tell Rome what to do?  Grin
But that would make too much sense!  Cheesy

Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »

I'm both roman and eastern, i'm Romanian Orthodox. Keep trying to be like us  Grin

More roman than the actual citizens of the actual city of Rome who belong to Church of actual Rome? Cool
 Tongue
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:10:50 PM by Wandile » Logged

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
Napoletani

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 01:30:38 PM »

I'm both roman and eastern, i'm Romanian Orthodox. Keep trying to be like us  Grin

More roman than the actual citizens of the actual city of Rome who belong to Church of actual Rome? Cool
 Tongue

Yes, most of them are immigrants from Napoli. But even so they are more romans than us, we are much more eastern than them. So in the end, we're the best  Grin

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 01:41:46 PM »

You live in Naples? I'm jealous of you. St. Januarius is my patron. Please light a candle for me next time you visit his relics.

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »

You live in Naples? I'm jealous of you. St. Januarius is my patron. Please light a candle for me next time you visit his relics.

Gunnar?
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 01:58:15 PM »

Gunnar?

Wut?

Napoletani

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »

No, unfortunately not, i live close to Paris, but being a supporter of U Craiova, we have some friendship towards Napoli and so my nickname  Cheesy

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »

Gunnar?

Wut?

Gunnar ~ Gennaro, but the actual Italian equivalent would be Gonario.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 02:10:10 PM »

No, my name is not Gunnar if that's what you assumed. Not even close. I'm not a Swede nor a Swedish-speaking Finn

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 02:14:35 PM »

No, my name is not Gunnar if that's what you assumed. Not even close. I'm not a Swede nor a Swedish-speaking Finn

Huh
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »

Huh

Just thought Romaios might be assuming that my civilian name is some Gennaro derivate.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:16:39 PM by Alpo » Logged

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »

Huh

Just thought Romaios might be assuming that my civilian name is some Gennaro derivate.

Sorry - I guess I touched a sensitive national nerve.  Sad

Maybe your birthday is on April 21st or September 19th then?  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:42:26 PM by Romaios » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »

Huh

Sorry - I guess I touched a sensitive national nerve.  Sad

Maybe your birthday is on April 21st or September 19th then?  Smiley

I'm not sure if I have any sensitive national nerve.  Cheesy

Neither. "Januarius" just happens to remotely resemble my civilian name. Might have something to do with etymology or just sounding similar. I don't exactly understand Finnish logic of choosing Patrons for converts but there is a certain list of civilian male and female names and suitable Patron Saints whose names might be resembling the civilian names. So for example if your name happens to be Matti your Patron Saint will be Matteus i.e. St. Matthew the Apostle.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:04:47 PM by Alpo » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 07:13:02 PM »

Tell that to these guys:

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2010/08/solemn-pontifical-mass-of-nigerian.html#.Uh6FymTwIZJ

It's not like it was the post-Vatican II Church which evangelised Africa for Roman Catholicism.  RCism in Africa "caught on" when it was all Latin all the time.  Latin wasn't an obstacle at the beginning.  If it is an obstacle now, it's more than simply a matter of language.     

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 08:10:38 PM »

Tell that to these guys:

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2010/08/solemn-pontifical-mass-of-nigerian.html#.Uh6FymTwIZJ

It's not like it was the post-Vatican II Church which evangelised Africa for Roman Catholicism.  RCism in Africa "caught on" when it was all Latin all the time.  Latin wasn't an obstacle at the beginning.  If it is an obstacle now, it's more than simply a matter of language.     
Awesomness. 

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2013, 08:15:34 PM »

^ But you can see how that African bishop still needs his Latin teacher to assist him.  Grin
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2013, 08:26:06 PM »

^ But you can see how that African bishop still needs his Latin teacher to assist him.  Grin

I presumed he was functioning more as a rubricist than a Latin teacher, but who knows?  Tongue

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 12:27:41 PM »

But that would make too much sense!  Cheesy
And too much sense would confound and thwart the devil, so.....

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 01:44:38 PM »

I am all for the Tridentine Mass if it can be said in the vernacular. Africans will not accept Latin lol. They will you and your Latin liturgy home  Grin  laugh

Tell that to these guys:

It's not like it was the post-Vatican II Church which evangelised Africa for Roman Catholicism.  RCism in Africa "caught on" when it was all Latin all the time.  Latin wasn't an obstacle at the beginning.  If it is an obstacle now, it's more than simply a matter of language.      

Catholicism boomed in Africa and is continually growing at astounding rates ever since Vernacular was introduced. That says something.
Back when Latin was used most of the Catholics in Africa were white people who were confortable. There were some parishes with black congregations although that was the execption. Vernacular allowed people to see Catholicism and understand it.

How odd it would be for people in KwaZulu Natal to have a Zulu priest and Zulu congregation (who can barely speak English) have a black Zulu speaking Latin. Trust me vernacular is the way to go.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:48:29 PM by Wandile » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 01:50:01 PM »

Tongue

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 01:54:06 PM »

How odd it would be for people in KwaZulu Natal to have a Zulu priest and Zulu congregation (who can barely speak English) have a black Zulu speaking Latin. Trust me vernacular is the way to go.

It is just as odd to have Indians speaking Latin, or Indians celebrating the Syriac Liturgy in Latin with cut-and-paste additions from the Roman Mass, but your Popes didn't agree. 

Though I have my suspicions about the rest of your post, I'll take you at your word. 

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 02:57:10 PM »

Back when Latin was used most of the Catholics in Africa were white people who were confortable. There were some parishes with black congregations although that was the execption.

Rome used to be much more explicit regarding its colonial ties and intentions for the Africans; witness, for instance the "White Fathers", originally based in Algiers. (Note the nice little bit of PR maneuvering in the name change described at the above link; I guess "White Fathers" was a little bit too on the nose! Wink)

I have various African "Misa" LPs from the 1960s (Missa Luba, Missa Bantu, Messe des Bayanzi, etc.), organized mostly by Belgian or French colonialist priests, which show perhaps admirable attempts to nativize the Latin liturgy (most still feature Latin, but have native drumming...an odd combo, if there ever was one). I quite enjoy the recordings of the monks of Keur Moussa in Senegal, for instance, which feature many native (Wolof) translations in addition to Latin hymns, as well as the kora and other native instruments. Still, I wonder exactly how "nativized" such experiments are, when they essentially translate the Latin mode of worship for another people, rather than creating/continuing a truly native way of worship. I mean, even comparing the aforementioned hymnody of the monks of Keur Moussa to paraliturgical Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo mezmur, it's kind of hard to miss which one is "Latin" in idiom (even if it is in Wolof) and which one is native to the people. It makes sense, when you think about it: One came with invaders and colonialists who imposed their religion on people, the other developed naturally by native African Christians who had been evangelized by shipwrecked Syriacs (so I doubt Abba Selama and Co. came with the power of colonializing Western governments behind them) and administered for centuries by the only apostolic church to be founded in Africa by an actual African (St. Mark was a Hellenized Libyan Jew).

We might wonder how much the above description relates to this overall topic. I've likewise seen videos of the Coptic Catholic Franciscans (including Coptic Catholic priests in their confusingly Byzantine vestments), Iraqi Dominicans, etc., so nothing would really surprise me at this point. Only Christ is all things to all people, but it seems like the Latins are doing their best to try to at least nativize their own (Latin) ways for other people. Doesn't really make them "Eastern", but that's not really a concern so much as the strange and foreign doctrines that come with accepting Latin domination in the first place (of which these more obvious outward changes are merely a sign, rather than the root of the problem).
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:03:42 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2013, 07:20:36 PM »

I believe that did actually happen a bit, just for 3 or 4 years, before the NO.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 07:24:06 PM »

#hyperdox

This "in between church" aka The Eastern Catholic Church was originally formed to act as a bridge of union between Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy, but as it turns out for many, this bridge is a means to walk from one discipline to another.

"I was advised by a certain subdeacon that ALL Eastern Catholics should experience a draw toward Orthodoxy, or else something is wrong."
-Dr. Anthony Dragani

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2013, 09:12:42 PM »

#hyperdox

"I was advised by a certain subdeacon that ALL Eastern Catholics should experience a draw toward Orthodoxy, or else something is wrong."
-Dr. Anthony Dragani
That was me.  But by draw I did not mean conversion, although if one's conscience prompts him to do so I find no fault in that.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Wyatt
Archon

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »

Tongue

That poor fellow has his picture posted everywhere. If he ever made an account on this forum, I'm sure he would be quite alarmed.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 03:13:11 PM »

LOL^
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2013, 03:52:24 PM »

Tongue

That poor fellow has his picture posted everywhere. If he ever made an account on this forum, I'm sure he would be quite alarmed.
at what?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: