OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 10:37:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Injured cat not eating or drinking  (Read 512 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: August 27, 2013, 02:45:05 AM »

Also, another person's cat out of state is not doing well.

Our cat is hiding under a bed and has not really eaten or drunk is more than 24 hours. Injured paw. Notch in ear.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 02:54:49 AM »

Get the cat to a vet, pronto! If it's an abscess, it can spread very quickly.
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 03:31:17 AM »

Vet is kind of expensive for my parent's budget atm. Hoping it is not an abscess but something milder. I won't be around to do anything for the cat during the day.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:32:09 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 03:34:41 AM »

Vet is kind of expensive for my parent's budget atm. Hoping it is not an abscess but something milder. I won't be around to do anything for the cat during the day.

Cats have been part of my life for close to 40 years. I've seen many a cat lie low as yours is, and to "hope it's not an abscess" is risking the cat's life.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 04:16:26 AM »

Hi,

Your cat's behaviour suggests all is far from well and should be be recognised as such. Not drinking is very serious. Here in the UK failure to seek vetinary help would be an offence under the Animal Welfare Act, and for good reason.

When any animal I had doesn't drink and the vet doesn't think a drip appropriate I use a syringe and give fluids little and often. But your cat sounds like it needs qualified help as soon as possible.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 04:17:11 AM by Santagranddad » Logged
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 09:52:57 AM »

Cats have been part of my life for close to 40 years. I've seen many a cat lie low as yours is, and to "hope it's not an abscess" is risking the cat's life.
^This!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 10:45:38 AM »

Please go and get your cat to the vet soon. You made a committment when you adopted, and sometimes you have to make sacrifices (this is coming from a broke college student with a cat). This could be very serious. I hope kitty is okay.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »

You made a committment when you adopted, and sometimes you have to make sacrifices (this is coming from a broke college student with a cat).
Probably if he does not do better soon, he will be taken to a vet. Technically, I did not adopt him, my relatives did.

LBK
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 07:35:50 PM »

You made a committment when you adopted, and sometimes you have to make sacrifices (this is coming from a broke college student with a cat).
Probably if he does not do better soon, he will be taken to a vet. Technically, I did not adopt him, my relatives did.

It doesn't matter who adopted him. The cat is in your care. The longer you delay in getting him to a vet, the worse it will be for the cat, and more expensive for you. Or, that cat could well end up dead.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 09:03:26 PM »

LORD have mercy!
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:58:19 PM »

It doesn't matter who adopted him. The cat is in your care. The longer you delay in getting him to a vet, the worse it will be for the cat, and more expensive for you. Or, that cat could well end up dead.
None-the-less, I think it would be better for my mom to take him in than for the answer to automatically be for me to go behind my parents back on something that is first their responsibility.

P.S. I hope you are praying too. That's the reason I made this thread, so the cat would have prayer.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:58:32 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

LBK
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 11:38:01 PM »

None-the-less, I think it would be better for my mom to take him in than for the answer to automatically be for me to go behind my parents back on something that is first their responsibility.

P.S. I hope you are praying too. That's the reason I made this thread, so the cat would have prayer.

Is it difficult to contact your mother for permission to take the cat to the vet?
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 12:06:29 AM »

Is it difficult to contact your mother for permission to take the cat to the vet?
Is it difficult for you to just pray?

I nearly got fired a week ago and am trying to get set up to see a therapist for myself and the first thing that most posters here tell me is that I am responsible for someone else's cat just because I live under the same roof? Has telling me to tell them to take him to the vet even crossed you mind? No. I am responsible for everything! Geeze... A girl can't get any slack. Yes, I know. A life is at stake and compared to that, anything I feel or deal with is petty and meaningless. Again, I love right off the bat in life. :| Yes another time I failed, I got something wrong, blah blah blah. I am so sick of this. Sad If I didn't give a bleep, I would not have posted.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:11:48 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 12:12:16 AM »

Lord have mercy.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 12:16:21 AM »

I nearly got fired a week ago and am trying to get set up to see a therapist for myself and the first thing that most posters here tell me is that I am responsible for someone else's cat just because I live under the same roof? Has telling me to tell them to take him to the vet even crossed you mind? No. I am responsible for everything! Geeze... A girl can't get any slack. Yes, I know. A life is at stake and compared to that, anything I feel or deal with is petty and meaningless. Again, I love right off the bat in life. :| Yes another time I failed, I got something wrong, blah blah blah. I am so sick of this. Sad If I didn't give a bleep, I would not have posted.

Is your cup about to overfill?  Look for ways to lower the water (or favorite drink) level in your cup.  Your cat needs medical care and it appears that you're the only responsible person available to address the situation.  Take kitty to the vet, if kitty is still among the living.
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 12:21:08 AM »

If anyone else has any advice or questions about trying to help, please keep that to yourself. This was a prayer request anyway. Nothing more was expected.

The thread has now been shifted to "Other topics".

Being a human being, you are capable of doing many things, such as organizing an appointment with a therapist. Unfortunately, the cat doesn't have the ability to take itself to the vet. Does your mother know about the cat's situation?

FYI, two of my three cats have had to be euthanased in the space of less than a year, the latest barely a month ago. One from cancer, the other from renal failure. I can assure you that prayer alone would not have saved either of them.
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 12:24:54 AM »

I did not move this thread, request that it be moved, or know why it was moved.

None of you who told me what to do actually helped other than to put more burden on me at a rough time.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:26:34 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 12:29:18 AM »

I did not move this thread, request that it be moved, or know why it was moved. None of you who told me what to do actually helped other than to put more burden on me at a rough time.

"Other Topics" is the home of such threads like Random Postings and the Sports Thread, neither are sources of serious debate or contention.  You've asked for advice in the past; why resist now what others have to offer (you can answer in another thread, like Non-Religious topics, if you wish).
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 06:45:03 AM »

I did not move this thread, request that it be moved, or know why it was moved.

None of you who told me what to do actually helped other than to put more burden on me at a rough time.

I moved the thread since neither the OP, nor any responces had anything to do with prayers.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 10:09:26 AM »

If anyone else has any advice or questions about trying to help, please keep that to yourself. This was a prayer request anyway. Nothing more was expected.

The thread has now been shifted to "Other topics".

Being a human being, you are capable of doing many things, such as organizing an appointment with a therapist. Unfortunately, the cat doesn't have the ability to take itself to the vet. Does your mother know about the cat's situation?

FYI, two of my three cats have had to be euthanased in the space of less than a year, the latest barely a month ago. One from cancer, the other from renal failure. I can assure you that prayer alone would not have saved either of them.

I had Smokey euthanized in February, and everyone here prayed and prayed. God decided to give him relief another way, by having him put down. It's hard, I cried for weeks and still feel sorrowful at times. Prayer can help, but God also created us to take care of animals like cats, who often don't show any symptoms of being ill until it's too late. The fact that your cat is showing symptoms now means it's serious. In fact, sometimes, it means it may be too late to do anything. Cats are good at hiding pain and any clues of illness.

I am sorry you are going through so much. I had quite a bit to juggle when Smokey was sick (including a job that was not working out). It was hard, and I ended up telling my professor I could not make it into class, and leaving work early. It was either that, or Smokey would be dead on the floor when I got home. And I did not want to come home to that.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Anastasia1
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 12:02:25 PM »

We have two other people home during the day, and I didn't know our cat was still not feeling well after our dinner until 26 hours after he was feeling and injured paw during that dinner. And I am supposed to be responsible if he dies now.

It took me over a year to replace my last full-time job. Granted I could be a little more aggressive, but I don't have enough savings to last a year, and now I have car payments and will have to pay medical next year if unemployed.

Next time I will be more specific than to simply post the nature of the situation for which I am seeking prayer.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:03:33 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: