OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:46:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian Zionism  (Read 5709 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: February 03, 2005, 07:25:24 PM »

My church is perfectly integrated, and I love the complete lack of ethnocentricism.

We usually discuss theology and politics after liturgy.

I am a Christian Zionist.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2005, 08:14:44 PM »

I would just like to say that I am disgusted that anyone can support Israel. Read this:
http://www.allsaintsofamerica.org/martyrs/nmphilou.html Has Israel done anything to catch the killers? NO! Does Israel allow Orthodox Christians to Rachels tomb? No! Read what a fellow Orthodox has to say http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:5kdtzD8iGrUJ:www.hcef.org/hcef/index.cfm/mod/news/ID/16/SubMod/NewsView/NewsID/1226.cfm+rachels+tomb+Orthodox&hl=en
I know Greek Orthodox Palestinians and I can tell you that the Zionists want to destroy Orthodox just the same as the muslims. The Jews have no right to Palestine. Most of the Jews there are Ashkenaz and they are primarily descended from Central Asians. I should know as I am 1/4 Ashkenaz on my fathers side. Of course my family have no claim to Israel because they converted to Catholicism when they came to America! Do you see how ridiculous the Zionists claim is. If I converted to Judaism I'd have a claim but since I'm not I have no claim! It's insane!
I'm sorry but I know people who are Orthodox live in Palestine and go through hell from Zionists just for being Palestinian.

For me it's a couple of things. On a personal level it's sometimes difficult for me to relate to a Protestant convert who seems content to hold onto a lot of previous baggage. Protestantism always seemed hokey and contrived to me. Kind of a natural expression of Christianity mixing with American values. This baggage seems to linger if they've been brought into Orthodoxy through the writings of the ex EOC's or the more "modernist" theologians of our day. I think this can be attributed to the fact that in these writings, the primary focus is doctrine and historical and biblical arguments. There is no concept of Orthodox piety introduced to them through these writings. They don't seem to take much interest in the lives of the saints, relics, or just plain down to earth Orthodoxy. The basics of forming an Orthodox mind and heart. Why no interest? I think it has to do again with their introduction to Orthodoxy. Many of these people were formerly appalled by the notion of venerating saints and relics, piety, asceticism, etc. Now, after reading the works of a modernist theologian who pays no real attention to these "details" of Orthodoxy, or who downplays their imporance as merely being a "cult of saints" which developed sometime after the acceptance of Orthodoxy by the State, these people can sort of overlook these things which they formerly disagreed with.

Troubling also is when this mindset starts to overtake the services. I've seen long time Protestant converts try to do readings in a "non traditional way", kind of like a Catholic priest saying the Mass, ..or like a parent reading to their little kid. I suppose he thought it was more natural to do it this way, and who needs all this ceremony anyway? Fortuntely someone asked him to read it like an Orthodox Christian. The guy read again like Protestant and the book was taken from him.
You also see this Protestant "we want equality" with the clergy mindset. Meaning, let me make prostrations in the Church when the priest does, and let me say his "amens", and let me call him Fr. Billy because "he's just a sinner like me!". This isn't an Orthodox concept of laity/clergy roles.

Just some ramblings.

I agree with you entirely Bogoliubtsy. I can't see why these people even become Orthodox. Perhaps they have some half baked idea that they are entiring 'the best denomination.'

Also.......does anyone ever feel that many of the converted Protestants never quite leave their Protestantism "at the door"? Like...a lot of the "white-isms" (like....first question: "What do you do for a living"?) which repulsed me from the Protestant Chuch land right here in the Antiochian Orthodox Church. Or....the surprisingly Zionist mindsets of people in the Orthodox church.
idontlikenames

I see where you are coming from.  Personally I support Palestine as is already obvious and I do0 not care for Democratic govt. My political heroes are men like Tsar Nicholas I and Tsar Alexander III and the American Loyalists.

i even find that a lot of the "mariphobia" which is rampant in Protestantism is visibly apparent in converts to the Orthodox faith....like people who refuse to believe that St. Mary did not sin.
When I became Orthodox, I completely renounced everything which was Protestant in me.
idontlikenames

I converted after have been a Nihilist for five years. What brought me to Orthodoxy was my search for Truth. This is why I love Fr.Seraphim of Platina so much. The story of his conversion is so much like mine. I didn't have any baggage. I came to the Church with nothing but pain and bad memories. What converts need to except is that the Church is where all Truth is found. Protestantism has cut itself off from Truth and therefore is leads nowhere but into a confused state in which one wants the Life in Christ but can't find it.
I also see what you are saying about the Theotokos. This idea that it is somehow slightly wrong to say Most Holy Theotokos save us! is disturbing. If you don't get that the Virgin Mary is the Mother of God than you haven't fully converted to Orthodoxy.

I'm sorry I have spoke my mind but I want you all to know how I feel.

I say none of this is anger or hatred for anyone and if I offended any I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 01:31:05 AM by Anastasios » Logged

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2005, 08:20:38 PM »

My church is perfectly integrated, and I love the complete lack of ethnocentricism.

We usually discuss theology and politics after liturgy.

I am a Christian Zionist.

Uh I hope you know that Christian Zionism is not one of the Beliefs of the Orthodox Church
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 08:21:51 PM by sdcheung » Logged

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2005, 08:28:53 PM »

LoL Grin ....The above few post is a good example of "internet Orthodoxy". Thank God I have never met any Orthodox in person that act like this and I have met many across jurisdictional lines. Thanks for the good laugh tough everyone, much needed today.. Cheesy

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Ibrahim

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2005, 08:33:33 PM »

I should I am strongly not a Zionist. The status quo allows for Israel to exist, but they should be more fair to the Palestinians. I have seen on the news about Palestinian kids getting shot in the head for throwing stones! They occupy my country as well as if it is theirs. IT is not and never will be and never was. My grandparents and parents used to live in Golan and had to leave to Allepo because the Israelis occupied it with all their guns and settlers. I wished they would have stayed to fight back or to at least show that Syria will not give up for our country. That is where the battle should be waged, not in Palestine because they are counter productive there. They kill more Arabs than Israelis! What is wrong with them? I was reading an article earlier today about the trechery of the IDF towards the ORthodox villages in Palestine, they mowed the villages over just like Muslim ones. They don't care, and still so many western "christians" support this. I don't get it. But, to each his own. The US should not tell Syria to leave Lebanon (we were asked there I don't think we should stay any longer than we need though) if they will let the IDF and Israeli settlsers occupy the sovereign nation of Syria. Syria shoudl make an Israeli accountability act and run out the settlers. This is just me thinking because Sabbas brought it up. I haven't talked to any of my Greek friends about it acctually so I don't know how they feel. I have talked to some Cypriots about the trechery of the Turks there though. There used to be an ancient group of Maronite Arabic speakers with a very special dialect (that is now dying out) that lived there but when the Turks came they all had to flee and only a few brave women stayed and continued their ways in the face of the Turkish occupation. I wish more Syrians had that kind of courage. the Cypriots certainly do.

At any rate, I do not believe that there is a man in the USA who accepts to live in illusion who says that peace will be recognized between the Arabs and Israel even if the occupation of the occupied Arab territories does not come to an end.
The late
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 10:14:34 PM »

A Orthodox Christian Zionist hmm........

Its getting better all the time.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 12:19:25 AM »

Uh I hope you know that Christian Zionism is not one of the Beliefs of the Orthodox Church

Neither is racism and anti-semitism.

What I mean is that I believe that Israel has the absolute right to exist, and that peace in Israel means peace for the rest of the world.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
sdcheung
Banned
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 12:24:52 AM »

What I mean is that I believe that Israel has the absolute right to exist, and that peace in Israel means peace for the rest of the world.

Listen Bubbo..
I'm neither Racist nor Anti-Semitic..I never hated any Arabs.

it can exist in Madagascar.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 12:40:59 AM »

Aren't we conservative on social issues?

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 01:01:39 AM »

First I'd like to apologize for getting a little mean in my last post. When I read it to myself I realized I went a little far. Sorry.

What I mean is that I believe that Israel has the absolute right to exist, and that peace in Israel means peace for the rest of the world

I was the butt of jokes in High School for 'looking like a Jew' in addition to being descended from a partial Jew background so I don't think I could be Anti-Semitic on this. Let me just ask you why Israel deserves to exist in Palestine? It should have been in Argentina or somewhere else if it was going to be anywhere and the Neturei Karta Jews don't think Zionism is even compatible with Judaism.

Aklie Semaet's post is great and I must say I've never heard of a Protestant convert Church breaking away!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 01:34:14 AM by Anastasios » Logged

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 01:36:07 AM »

Any (American) political points that I could find in all of the above posts were eliminated. I tried to keep the Israeli discussion and the generic question of religion and conservative vs. liberal in a non-partisan sense as best as I could. Anyone is free to fix his posts if they seem mangled from my editing job but please do not discuss Bush or the GOP, the Democrats, etc etc etc. It's against forum policy.

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 01:43:52 AM »

Really...I felt this topic got fairly derailed..it started out about "whether or not a large number of converts will bring about a protestantising of Orthodox" and ended up "should Isreal exisit".

Proverbs 22:7
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 01:21:30 PM »

Oh good lord, if i ran onto this sort of thing while finding my spiritual home i would have run the opposite way so fast my head would have fallen off! How do you get from are converts "protestantizing" the Church to a rant on Israel's right to exist? join the PLO if that is what you want to yammer about all day, and I am getting sick of all the implications (seemingly nazi-isms) that jews are all priveledged and all that crap---my Jewish parents are poor as church mice, never had anything handed to them, worked hard all their life. My dad's father dug ditches during the Depression to support his family, how is that priveledged? As for why i am converting to Orthodoxy, that is because it feels like home to me, and guess what, my folks are very happy for me and cant wait to come to my Crismation, and the baptisms of my children. This is supposed to be a forum for ORTHODOX FAITH ISSUES not Politics. Get off the soapbox already.

How the heck can converts change what the church IS anyway, answer me that...and if we converted why would that be our goal, as you seem to imply? It isnt mine. I embrace everything the Church has to offer, as my priest puts it --Scripture and Tradition, the two cornerstones. That implies, obviously, some ethnic assimilations, as the culture is so interwoven with the spirituality, as i see it. And what do you mean by "act like converts" you make no sense. You can tell just by how a person looks and or acts that they are not cradle born? Yes you will get some who wonder whay you are there, you will get snobs and cliques and such...but gee...thats what humans do...*shock* get over it.

but then i'm new to all this, so i am sure in your book my opinion counts for nothing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 02:35:46 PM by Pedro » Logged
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2005, 04:59:08 PM »

What the heck? I didn't start this thread!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 04:59:20 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2005, 05:03:53 PM »

It was split. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 05:15:18 PM »

I believe that Israel deserves the absolute right to exist but that the Palestinians deserve their own free state. However, this will never happen if the terrorists have their way. Nothing will satisfy them short of the complete abolishment of the state of Israel.

It is imperitive for a Christian to support Isreal's right to exist. Any Christian who would favor the annihilation of Israel is, in my opinion, hardly a Christian at all.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 05:17:17 PM »

There's a difference between supporting the State of Israel and desiring the annihilation of Israel.  I don't support it, but I don't want to see it destroyed either.   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2005, 05:20:22 PM »

Wow. I agree with everything Matthew said. Shocked Grin

I would say, though--and here I think we disagree--that Israel's right to exist is more from a human perspective (i.e., generic "love for neighbor" we're supposed to extend to all) rather than a specific divine decree from the Lord Himself, as I think the OT stuff addressed to "Israel" is now for the Church, not the Jews.

That having been said, though, like Mor I don't support Israel's actions; as a whole I think they've done a bad job of dealing with the "talents" they've been given.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2005, 06:18:08 PM »

I fail to see how an everlasting covenant would not be everlasting.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 06:24:06 PM »

It is everlasting. Christ made a New Covenent which overides the previous ones. The Church is the New Jerusalem.

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2005, 06:28:05 PM »

Everlasting is irrevocable.

Romans 11
In respect to the gospel, they are enemies on your account; but in respect to election, they are beloved because of the patriarchs.
For the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2005, 08:33:16 PM »

Listen Bubbo..
I'm neither Racist nor Anti-Semitic..I never hated any Arabs.

it can exist in Madagascar.

Sdcheung,

Sorry, but your posts  in other threads and here have clearly shown that you are an unrepentant racist.  I will not talk to you again because of this.  I will pray for you.

Bob the sinner.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
sdcheung
Banned
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2005, 08:38:59 PM »

Sdcheung,

Sorry, but your posts in other threads and here have clearly shown that you are an unrepentant racist. I will not talk to you again because of this. I will pray for you.

Bob the sinner.

Goood..
Thank God.
I don't need your prayers.
and I'm not Racist. so... Tongue

Hmph..tell me to love Jews., You should told me to do that when I was still a protestant Christian Zionist. hehehe
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 08:40:29 PM by sdcheung » Logged

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2005, 12:42:43 AM »

I don't need your prayers.

talk about arrogance...to state the obvious.

hmmmm...
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2005, 03:17:24 AM »

Because Israel , spiritually, means the Prince of God, or the family of God. The covenant is with the people of God forever. Israeli state is far from being the Nation of God, by deeds and by faith, nor can the Jewish people claim such honor any more, having rejected CHrist. The true heir of such title are the christians, and they are those who were singled out as the stars of heaven among the children of Abraham.

It seems the Zionism agenda really brought fruits. Just shows how repeated and relentless misrepresenatation of scripture without opposition works. One must admire the way the Zionism movement plans and executes. They have infiltrated the Protestant churches from within, making it a relgious duty to support Israel at any cost.

The only promise given to Israel in the NT is : " Look, your house is left to you desolate. I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, ‘Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. " (Luke 13:35)

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Stavro
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2005, 03:19:36 AM »

I believe that Israel deserves the absolute right to exist but that the Palestinians deserve their own free state. However, this will never happen if the terrorists have their way. Nothing will satisfy them short of the complete abolishment of the state of Israel.

It is imperitive for a Christian to support Isreal's right to exist. Any Christian who would favor the annihilation of Israel is, in my opinion, hardly a Christian at all.
No christian prays for the annihilation of any state or people, but we should not confine our love to Israel alone. There is no special place for any nation in the NT. This was said by a Pharisee, a persecuter of the Church, a zealous Jew, who became the greatest teacher -imo- of all, and the great apostle.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2005, 07:48:10 PM »

Many Protestants have been brought up with the notion that Israel is the chosen people,state of God. Just take a look at the Schofield version of the Bible . However this is NOT the teaching of the Church.  When the Jews said - His blood be upon us and upon our children - the covenant was broken.  The New Israel took on the convenant, which we as Orthodox Christians continue to observe today. That Israel exists is de facto but not de jure. War is evitable until the Antichrist comes to reign in Jerusalem. Then there will be peace but at what a price.  Zionism is a heresy. And please note that the God of the Christians is not necessarily the God of current Judaism.  The Talmud takes preference over the Bible that the Protestants live by. Unfortunately most of them don't know this.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2005, 08:58:50 PM »

I'm by far a zionist myself and beleif the jews place as the "people of God" has been replaced by the new israel which is the christian church. For anyone that doesn't believe this just take a look at what Christ has to say about old isreal.

Revelations 2:9 " I know your works, tribulation, and poverty; and I know the blapshemy of those who say they are jews and are not, but are a synagague of satan.

Revelations 3:9 "Indeed I will make those of the synagague of satan, who say they are jews and are not, but lie indeed. I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you.

So we see Christ equates the jews of old israel who were still claiming to be God's chosen people as a synagague of satan when in fact the real jews of the new isreal was the fledgling christian church. This also came at a time when the jews were persecuting christians saying they were of the devil when in fact they were themselves which I find interesting. I do beleive that most of revelations and mathew 24 with prophecies of the destruction of the temple were for the purpose of the passing of the old isreal into the new which was fully fulfilled in AD 70 when these events took place and God brought a horrible judgement against isreal. Thier temple was destroyed just as mathew 24 and mark 13 described and more than 1 million jews were killed and the remaining scattered about or were taken as slaves by the romans.

It's unfortunate that some protestant sects buy into the whole zionist theology because scripture, church history, and even secular history tell us otherwise. I still beleive the jews deserve a homeland but not for some zionist endtimes plot. I think it's the right thing to do to allow these people to have some land to call thier own place. I don't endorse some of thier policies, but hope they will bend in the future to accomodate christians and paletstinians in that region. It's also sad to see people hating jews on this board because every group of people have thier problems so I don't see why the jews are singled out the most here. If anything, the islamo facist are causing the most problems in the world today which I think is a much bigger problem.   

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2005, 10:47:17 PM »

If the destruction of Israel proves that the Jews are no longer God's people then doesn't the conquering of Orthodox nations by Islamic warlords prove that the Church is no longer of God?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 10:50:18 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2005, 12:20:36 AM »

If the destruction of Israel proves that the Jews are no longer God's people then doesn't the conquering of Orthodox nations by Islamic warlords prove that the Church is no longer of God?

Huh??? I don't follow you on this one...

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2005, 12:44:44 AM »

If the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. proves that the Jews are no longer God's chosen, then the destruction of Orthodox Christian nations proves we are no longer God's Church.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 12:45:15 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Ibrahim

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2005, 12:54:48 AM »

Our nations have not been destroyed and we are not conquered. We are still here. If we were conquered we'd all be Muslims. When you are conquered you believe it and you take the trait of the invader. We've not done that. I don't think the Jews are not God people anymore. They always will be, just like the Arabs, Germans, Persians and all His other peoples. We are all of God. We are all one in Christ. The Jews (religious Jews) do not accept Jesus, that behavior is not of God because He sent Jesus. Jews are still Gods people. They're not better or more favored than anybody else is though. I don't buy this idea that Jews have claim over Arabs to anything. The Germans didn't have any more claim over Germanspeaking Poland than did the Poles. The "manifest destiny" attitude of the Zionists (to my country mind you) is in my view racist and openly hostile and will only lead to confict. Its just Jewish nationalism. Nationalism that requires hurting or removing other peoples is unChristian as far as I am concerned. (Im not argueing against you btw Im just adding my opinion from your comment  Cheesy Afro)

At any rate, I do not believe that there is a man in the USA who accepts to live in illusion who says that peace will be recognized between the Arabs and Israel even if the occupation of the occupied Arab territories does not come to an end.
The late
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2005, 01:26:32 AM »

Hey, Ibrahim....hal tafham alluga ala'arabya?
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2005, 01:35:24 AM »

M777,
You missed it. His blood be upon us and our children - this is the breaking of the covenant - No more old Jews.  Now we ARE THE new jews! The Holy Church teaches this.  It's nothing to do with 70 A.D.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2005, 02:10:53 AM »

I'm still going to hold fast to my belief in the state of Israel.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2005, 02:23:41 AM »

Mathew,

Did you see my previous post with scriptures that related to old isreal?? That pretty much sums it up for me. The jews suffered a horrible judgement from God for persecuting the true jews of the new israel in AD70. Have you studied revelations & mathew 24 and the fullfilment of the temple being destroyed in AD70 when those prophecies came to pass? You can even read a secular historian like Josephus and come to the conclusion that AD70 was the end of old israel when thier kingdom, religion, temple etc., crumbled in AD 70.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2005, 02:29:11 AM »

But was the siege of Constantinople the end of the Church?

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2005, 02:36:16 AM »

M777,
You missed it. His blood be upon us and our children - this is the breaking of the covenant - No more old Jews. Now we ARE THE new jews! The Holy Church teaches this.

This isn't correct. The Jews will always be the chosen people.  People cannot break a covenant with God, because God is always faithful to His word. Throughout the Old Testament, again and again, Israel is unfaithful to the covenant with the LORD, and God remains faithful. It is true that Israel sometimes pays a great price for its unfaithfulness, but God always remains faithful in the end. Matthew is right. God never takes back a covenant he has made.

We aren't Jews. But we are very much the new Israel, and have a direct link with the Israel of old. It's true, that, as other posters have noted, in a sense, the Jews don't get anything special anymore out of being the chosen people unless they accept the fufillment of the covenant in Christ, in which case they get nothing more than any Orthodox Christian. But really, this was always God's plan, anyway. That is, ultimately, He wanted to bring salvation to all the people of the world through the chosen people. Just because the other races weren't "chosen," didn't mean that God didn't care for them and want their salvation.

We should not be so quick to be so brash and bold about proclaiming that we are somehow "chosen" now. How often are we unfaithful? if Christ could say to the Jews that God was able to raise up children of Abraham from the rocks and stones, how much more careful should we be about the gift that has been given to us? After all, we have only been grafted on to the tree of Israel.

All this business about Jews being Christ-killers is really too much. (I'm not saying that other posters are necessarily saying this here.) Don't forget that the Romans played a hand in it too. Are we to believe that another race would not have done the same thing? What about us, if we were there? What would we have done? I won't go into it. I think you get my drift.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 02:45:06 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2005, 08:35:48 AM »

Bob, thanks for putting forth some qualification to Matthew's argument.

It's true that, though Scripture is clear that, as the "chosen people" thing goes, the Church, Jew and Gentile, is now the "royal priesthood," the "holy nation" of the most high God.  That much has been established.

I've said before that they deserve their own land--much as Nacho said (wow; I'm agreeing with Matthew, now Nacho!  What a week!!  Wink)--but not because of divine decree.  But just as there are Scriptures that say that the unbelieving Jews have fallen away from their status as the Israel of God, there's also St. Paul's affirmation that God hasn't abandoned "his people" (referring to Jews as a whole).  He's taken them through so much and hasn't forgotten them; in fact, the prophecy is (according to Romans 11) that all of Israel--the term still used, at that time, for the physical Jews--shall be saved.  So he hasn't abandoned his people to never again be in the Kingdom, though many of His time that rejected him shall not enter the Kingdom of God except behind sinnners and Gentiles and only on the condition of confessing the Son of Man (Matt. 8:11-12; 21:31-32). 

In other words, Israel shall not see the Lord again until it says, "Blessed be the Name of the Lord" (Luke 13:35).  That word "until" in Greek is eos, and can either mean "not during all that time and not after," or it can mean, "not during all that time but immediately after."  So we know that Israel will not see the face of God in relationship as long as it does not confess Christ.  We have reason to believe from St. Paul that He will reveal Himself to the Jews in a special way at the end of it all.  Until then, however, the house of the Jews is left desolate during this, the time of the Gentiles (Luke 21:24).

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
sdcheung
Banned
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2005, 11:01:02 PM »

talk about arrogance...to state the obvious.

If he's gonna accuse me of hating Arabs.. The Pure form of Anti-Semitism and being a Racist.
Then tell me he isn't talking to me then in the same breath tells me he's praying for me..I don't need that kind of prayer.
I won't be changing my mind anytime soon. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 11:01:26 PM by sdcheung » Logged

Ibrahim

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2005, 11:11:44 PM »

If he's gonna accuse me of hating Arabs.. The Pure form of Anti-Semitism and being a Racist.
Then tell me he isn't talking to me then in the same breath tells me he's praying for me..I don't need that kind of prayer.
I won't be changing my mind anytime soon.

Anti-Semitism is not hating Arabs and the idea that Arabs are "Semites" is based from the facist, Nazi, racialist ideology of Adolf Hitler. He dived the world into "Semites" (ARabs, Jews, etc) and "Ayrians" (Germans, Iranians, Englishmen, Scandinavians etc). Semites were inferior and Aryians superior. He wrote his Mein Kamf about how he hated the Semites and how he was anti-Semitic and how Germany was troubled by racially dangerous "Semites". However, when he needed Arab allies to control the Holy Lands and North Africa he did not hesitate to distingush that the "Semites" he hated and spoke of so much were JEWS not Arabs. This is why people say hatred of the Jewish people (who are children of God just as all the other peoples) antiSemitism. Being racist to Arabs is antiArabism, as was said by the Lebanese militias and the hate groups in modern Europe. Now people who hate the Jews use it to pretend they are not such. "I dont like Jews, not Arabs so Im not antiSemitic" that is a load of rubbish. It is antiSemitism in the historical and modern use and itis racism and hatred of a people for unChristian and unjustifyable reasons.

The late
sdcheung
Banned
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2005, 11:14:41 PM »

Anti-Semitism is not hating Arabs and the idea that Arabs are "Semites" is based from the facist, Nazi, racialist ideology of Adolf Hitler. He dived the world into "Semites" (ARabs, Jews, etc) and "Ayrians" (Germans, Iranians, Englishmen, Scandinavians etc). Semites were inferior and Aryians superior. He wrote his Mein Kamf about how he hated the Semites and how he was anti-Semitic and how Germany was troubled by racially dangerous "Semites". However, when he needed Arab allies to control the Holy Lands and North Africa he did not hesitate to distingush that the "Semites" he hated and spoke of so much were JEWS not Arabs. This is why people say hatred of the Jewish people (who are children of God just as all the other peoples) antiSemitism. Being racist to Arabs is antiArabism, as was said by the Lebanese militias and the hate groups in modern Europe. Now people who hate the Jews use it to pretend they are not such. "I dont like Jews, not Arabs so Im not antiSemitic" that is a load of rubbish. It is antiSemitism in the historical and modern use and itis racism and hatred of a people for unChristian and unjustifyable reasons.

well I'm sticking to that.

Ibrahim

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2005, 11:20:51 PM »

well I'm sticking to that.

I'm going to pray for you too.

The late
sdcheung
Banned
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2005, 11:22:13 PM »

oh..no not another one.

I'm going to pray for you too.

Oh .. no not another one.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2005, 11:43:27 PM »

End the foolishness...

an-+ti-Sem-+ite (nt-smt, nt-)
n.
One who discriminates against or who is hostile toward or prejudiced against Jews.
 http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=antisemite

an-+ti-Sem-+i-+tism (nt-sm-tzm, nt-)
n.
Hostility toward or prejudice against Jews or Judaism.
Discrimination against Jews.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=antisemitism

Are you going to start denying the Holocaust too?   Angry

« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 11:45:41 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: