OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 02:38:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions  (Read 288 times) Average Rating: 0
Ethan

Faith: Christian

« on: August 26, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »

I been looking into the Orthodox Church for a while and now that I just started college I would like to start going to a Orthodox Church, and I have a few questions.

1. The nearest church is 60 miles from me (about an hour) and my parents and some friends don't get why a person would drive 60 miles to attend a church, so is it weird for me to drive that far?

2. If I do attend should I call the priest before I come or should I just talk to him after the liturgy?

3. Is there anything I should know or any advice before going?

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 03:35:42 PM »

12 Things I Wish I’d Known…

First Visit to an Orthodox Church
http://www.frederica.com/12-things/
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »

Welcome to the forum.   Smiley

I been looking into the Orthodox Church for a while and now that I just started college I would like to start going to a Orthodox Church, and I have a few questions.

1. The nearest church is 60 miles from me (about an hour) and my parents and some friends don't get why a person would drive 60 miles to attend a church, so is it weird for me to drive that far?

Not at all.

2. If I do attend should I call the priest before I come or should I just talk to him after the liturgy?

I would talk to the Priest after Liturgy.

Keep an open mind.

Is there an Orthodox Christian Fellowship (http://www.ocf.net) chapter on your college campus?
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 04:28:40 PM »

It wouldn't hurt to call the priest beforehand. It's polite but not mandatory or required!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »

It's not weird.  You may have to consider the state of your car, money available for gas, etc., but on its own it is not weird to drive that far.  Many people regularly travel quite a distance to get to church every week. 

I would recommend doing so, though it is not required.  When I was in college, I would "just show up" at a parish only to realise that schedules changed, or the priest was out of town and there was no replacement so the weekday service was cancelled, etc.  I didn't have that far to drive, but sixty miles one way is another story.  Usually priests are able to spot newcomers and welcome them personally, but they'll look out for you if they spoke to you and are expecting you.  Not obligatory, but nice for a few reasons.   

Other than "keep an open mind", I'd recommend "relaxing".  Don't stress out if you can't follow what's going on, if it doesn't make sense, etc.  Just take it all in, note the questions you have, and work on it from there. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: