OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 03:32:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: everything happens for a reason  (Read 733 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: August 26, 2013, 01:35:55 PM »

A terrible new age coping mechanism or something more?

You think people being blown up happens for a reason? I just think that phrase is superficial and makes people not think about their suffering.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 01:42:15 PM »

Yes, it happens for a reason. Not a nice reason, but a reason nonetheless. Causality and all.

Except when it happens for several reasons, of course.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 01:42:45 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »

I don't particularly care for it. Ok, some of it I find quite frustrating. I'm still young, but in the last 20 years I've so far lost 3 grandparents (two of whom were my legal guardians), a brother, and a wife (kinda), and I hear this stuff every time. I don't think it has anything to do with new age stuff or modernity though. In all times people have liked to find meaning in events, see patterns, connect the dots, etc.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 01:57:10 PM »

Yes, it happens for a reason. Not a nice reason, but a reason nonetheless. Causality and all.

Except when it happens for several reasons, of course.
+1

Cause and effect is a real bugger.  Angry

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »

I don't particularly care for it. Ok, some of it I find quite frustrating. I'm still young, but in the last 20 years I've so far lost 3 grandparents (two of whom were my legal guardians), a brother, and a wife (kinda), and I hear this stuff every time. I don't think it has anything to do with new age stuff or modernity though. In all times people have liked to find meaning in events, see patterns, connect the dots, etc.

Either that or they don't care.  Giving love to someone is a lot harder than saying,"Everything happens for a reason," while walking away.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »

I love most everyone, and try to help.

...but, I also believe in the phrase "everything happens for a reason."

In my life this has always been true.  Most negative things, that bring me down, and leave me almost hopeless and lost, eventually reveal a deeper meaning, and have a more profound affect that leads to an important change.

In other words, each event truly is cause and effect.  Sometimes for the effect, the cause must occur, whether pleasant or not.

It's hard to understand, but, if we look deeply enough, there's usually something awesome that comes from each seeming hardship.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »

But don't we as Christians believe that all things fit within the providence of God?

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 03:32:11 PM »

I think there is a difference, though, between a deep/thoughtful belief in the sovereignty of God, and what is being discussed in the OP, or leastwise in my own post. What I am talking about is that people just feel emotionally uncomfortable or vulnerable, so they say things that makes people feel better, whether there is any basis in reality or not, or whether they've thought about what they're saying or not. "God is in control" or "things happen for a reason" or whatever are used as some type of feel-good pill. But God being sovereign does not mean that God pre-plans everything, or has a special plan or end-goal in mind. Sometimes people die. Sometimes people get cancer. Sometimes people win the lottery. Not everything is God pulling the strings. When I hear news about, let's say, some 2 year old wandering into the street and being crushed to death by a coal truck, and people say something like "everything happens for a reason," or "it was his time to go," it makes me angry. That something good can come out of it, possibly; that God allowed it to happen and foreknew it, definitely; but to (what I see as) flippantly cover over the emotional pain and philosophical/practical difficulties with a glib remark or cliché?  Sad
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:32:53 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 03:43:17 PM »

And to think--that test/poll said I didn't have strong views  police

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »

I think there is a difference, though, between a deep/thoughtful belief in the sovereignty of God, and what is being discussed in the OP, or leastwise in my own post. What I am talking about is that people just feel emotionally uncomfortable or vulnerable, so they say things that makes people feel better, whether there is any basis in reality or not, or whether they've thought about what they're saying or not. "God is in control" or "things happen for a reason" or whatever are used as some type of feel-good pill. But God being sovereign does not mean that God pre-plans everything, or has a special plan or end-goal in mind. Sometimes people die. Sometimes people get cancer. Sometimes people win the lottery. Not everything is God pulling the strings. When I hear news about, let's say, some 2 year old wandering into the street and being crushed to death by a coal truck, and people say something like "everything happens for a reason," or "it was his time to go," it makes me angry. That something good can come out of it, possibly; that God allowed it to happen and foreknew it, definitely; but to (what I see as) flippantly cover over the emotional pain and philosophical/practical difficulties with a glib remark or cliché?  Sad
Makes sense. Thanks.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 10:34:38 PM »

When Mary saw her son being crucified and nails going through his flesh.....  I'm sure there was some lack of understanding.....

Sometimes when we don't know what to say, we just figure God knows best.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Nikolaos Greek
Last among equals

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Greece

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 07:38:41 AM »

Yes everything happens for a reason. We may understand not. Yet it is for our good. Expect sin.

God is Love.
Ό Θεός ἀγάπη ἐστί.
There is no luck, there is no fate. There are always two ways. One is God's and one is devil's. And in each step of your life you have to pick one, always.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »

Cause and Effect is one heartless SOB.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 06:34:40 PM »

I would bet that things like birth,death,decay,and suffering happen through natural processes in the human body. Plus we're not immortal & don't live forever (unless you count Eternal Life or going to Heaven) ...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:38:11 PM by WPM » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 07:00:19 PM »

I would bet that things like birth,death,decay,and suffering happen through natural processes in the human body. Plus we're not immortal & don't live forever (unless you count Eternal Life or going to Heaven) ...

Suffering is not a natural process of the body.

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 08:11:34 PM »

Suffering is not a natural process of the body.

Its something borrowed from the book Life of Buddha so it does mention suffering as a part of the ordinary life cycle.

Could you explain a bit more what you mean?..
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:13:35 PM by WPM » Logged
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 09:10:31 AM »

Maybe strong words, from the Synodikon of Orthodoxy: To those who deny the existence of God, and assert that the world is self-existing, and that all things in it occur by chance, and not by the providence of God, Anathema!

At the last foot pilgrimage from Warsaw to the Holy Mount Grabarka one of the priests leading it during his homily quoted it and emphasised that in human's life there is no place for fortuity, even "accidental" meeting has a reason, that however not always is not revealed to us.

The whole story of Salvation (I mean the stories presented in the Bible and the institution of the Church) shows us that "everything happens for a reason". The same is in our life. Many time something, that in the particular moment seemed to us a tragedy, in the very end appears to be a good thing, e.g in my case some my personal and schools problems and death of a few people have led me to Orthodoxy and later to some other good things, like realizing my passions.

Some things that we witness can be for us brutal like mentioned by Asteriktos death of a child walking in the street, but maybe it was the best time for him/her to die to reach the salvation?... - a few days ago I was talking with some my Orthodox friends regarding the issue of dying in some accidents and I consider this way of thinking quite good.

Of course, personally I do not understand some things (not) happening in my life, but on the other hand, I know that for sure there are some reasons for such situation. I don't know also the reason of these terrible things happening to Christians in Egypt and Syria, but maybe some people become in this way the confessors of the faith or non-Christians discover Trinitarian God revealed in the Orthodox Church.

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »

My own thinking on this topic is somewhat muddled. I know that there's "a reason" in the sense of plain old ordinary cause and effect. I also know that everything happens within the providence of God - meaning that He allows events to occur. I don't think that necessarily means He wants it to be that way, but does allow events to play out with whatever the consequences. I have trouble believing that there is some mystical reason that all things occur the way they do. Often, this phrase seems to suggest that fate is at work here - Que será, será, which is a very impersonal concept that easily excludes a beneficent and caring God.

I haven't read anything in this thread yet that helps me find that middle road. Perhaps it doesn't exist. And maybe there's a reason for that  Wink Cheesy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: