OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 31, 2014, 06:34:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Observation Stays Don't Count For Medicare Coverage, Many Seniors Harshly Learn  (Read 218 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« on: August 25, 2013, 03:51:51 PM »

Observation stays don't count for Medicare coverage, many seniors harshly learn

Betty Rickett was surprised by a $15,000 nursing home bill after spending three days in a hospital for a broken ankle in 2009.

The 85-year-old from Wellsboro in Tioga County knew that her health insurer, the federal government's Medicare program, covers the cost of rehabilitation care in a nursing home if the patient was admitted to a hospital for at least three days.

What she didn't know was that time spent in a hospital bed under observation doesn't count toward the three-day minimum needed for Medicare coverage. Medicare requires patients to be admitted to a hospital — and being under observation does not count...
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 04:17:40 PM »

We can go political with this (actually not "we", I have stayed away from the politics board) - remember, I'm Canadian - or we can discuss why churches don't do more to assist the elderly and infirm.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:02:09 AM »

We can go political with this (actually not "we", I have stayed away from the politics board) - remember, I'm Canadian - or we can discuss why churches don't do more to assist the elderly and infirm.

So....why don't they?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:42:55 AM »

So....why don't they?

People don't see churches as places of charity anymore.  Or as a resource for charity.  Many churches (whatever denomination) do not have charitable services to handle this type of thing.  Food banks and clothing/blanket drives is one thing, but dealing with the bureaucracy that is Medicar/Medicaid, I think most churches can't/won't deal with that headache.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »

So....why don't they?

People don't see churches as places of charity anymore.  Or as a resource for charity.  Many churches (whatever denomination) do not have charitable services to handle this type of thing.  Food banks and clothing/blanket drives is one thing, but dealing with the bureaucracy that is Medicar/Medicaid, I think most churches can't/won't deal with that headache.

Heck, most doctors hate dealing with it, and some I know are opting out.

As for the churches, yeah, I guess in the "good ol' days" parishes and communities would band together to help those in need.  Today....not so much. Sad

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: