OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 08:38:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Experience & Advice on how to build a local Economy  (Read 2785 times) Average Rating: 0
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2013, 10:51:23 AM »

Yes I have a job working with my dad part-time.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »

Surprisingly, this IS a serious post  Shocked.

So...you live at home, you have your own bank account, you have a part-time job with Dad, you have enough $$ to pay your bills, you have "something" worked out with your parents.  What kind of advice, precisely, are you looking for?  Do you want greater control over your own money?  Do you want more money?  Do you just want some kind of intellectual/theoretical discussion on how to create a utopian society?  Have I missed something?  Help us out here, a little bit, WPM.  It's been kinda like pulling teeth to try to get a handle on what your asking for in this thread.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2013, 11:43:18 AM »

Surprisingly, this IS a serious post  Shocked.

So...you live at home, you have your own bank account, you have a part-time job with Dad, you have enough $$ to pay your bills, you have "something" worked out with your parents.  What kind of advice, precisely, are you looking for?  Do you want greater control over your own money?  Do you want more money?  Do you just want some kind of intellectual/theoretical discussion on how to create a utopian society?  Have I missed something?  Help us out here, a little bit, WPM.  It's been kinda like pulling teeth to try to get a handle on what your asking for in this thread.

I guess I'm counting on ingenuity and the history channel  Wink to create a working economy.

You could purport the answers to your questions with religion and science.  

I am asking for someone with ingenuity for advice on how to implement the local economy so people have more money. Why is that necessarily utopian?

It sounds like working with a genius plan to make our lives easier.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 11:48:03 AM by WPM » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »

I am asking for someone with ingenuity for advice on how to implement the local economy so people have more money.

Underwater giraffe farms are the way of the future.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2013, 11:54:55 AM »

I am asking for someone with ingenuity for advice on how to implement the local economy so people have more money.

Underwater giraffe farms are the way of the future.

It's all in the built-in camelopardoscope.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2013, 11:58:46 AM »

So...you live at home, you have your own bank account, you have a part-time job with Dad, you have enough $$ to pay your bills, you have "something" worked out with your parents.  What kind of advice, precisely, are you looking for?  Do you want greater control over your own money?  Do you want more money?  Do you just want some kind of intellectual/theoretical discussion on how to create a utopian society?  Have I missed something?  Help us out here, a little bit, WPM.  It's been kinda like pulling teeth to try to get a handle on what your asking for in this thread.

I guess I'm counting on ingenuity and the history channel  Wink to create a working economy.

I am asking for someone with ingenuity for advice on how to implement the local economy so people have more money. Why is that necessarily utopian?

We already have a "working economy."  It ain't workin' great but it's workin'.  Sometimes it works better than at other times.

I don't know what you mean by "You could purport the answers to your questions with religion and science."

It is not necessarily utopian to want people to have more money.  In our society people get more money by means already mentioned in this thread--work more, get a "better" job", rob a bank, etc., etc., etc.

What is "a genius plan to make our lives easier"??  (Who said our lives were supposed to be easy or even easier?  Not that I'm necessarily opposed to that, mind you...).

If you're going to depend upon The History Channel, well......let's just say that's probably not the best of ideas.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »

Does your dad pay you or do you both work in the same business?  Can you get another job?  That can help you out more.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2013, 12:04:45 PM »

I would like to think to create an economy where everybody has cash and there is no poverty.

This is utopian.  To have a "genius" plan, you need to work at it, not watch History Channel.  Every person in history that is considered a genius, worked really, really hard for a particular goal.  Your vague goal of everyone having money isn't realistic and not specific enough.  It's like making a product that no one needs;  there's no end goal here.

WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2013, 12:40:27 PM »

I would like to think to create an economy where everybody has cash and there is no poverty.

This is utopian.  To have a "genius" plan, you need to work at it, not watch History Channel.  Every person in history that is considered a genius, worked really, really hard for a particular goal.  Your vague goal of everyone having money isn't realistic and not specific enough.  It's like making a product that no one needs;  there's no end goal here.

People don't need an X-box yet Microsoft made millions by providing the console to the Gamer's market.
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2013, 12:49:43 PM »

Does your dad pay you or do you both work in the same business?  Can you get another job?  That can help you out more.

I get $1000 dollars a month.

If I found another job it would be with Microsoft Software and the Internet.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:50:40 PM by WPM » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »

This is utopian.  To have a "genius" plan, you need to work at it, not watch History Channel.  Every person in history that is considered a genius, worked really, really hard for a particular goal.  Your vague goal of everyone having money isn't realistic and not specific enough.  It's like making a product that no one needs;  there's no end goal here.

People don't need an X-box yet Microsoft made millions by providing the console to the Gamer's market.

Tell gamers they don't need an Xbox or any console.  I can expand that:  products that people don't need/want or not willing to pay for.  That's not really the point.  What is a specific goal you are shooting for that involves you and only you?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:52:40 PM by hecma925 » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »

Does your dad pay you or do you both work in the same business?  Can you get another job?  That can help you out more.

I get $1000 dollars a month.

If I found another job it would be with Microsoft Software and the Internet.
1000/month ain't too bad.  What are you doing to try to get a job with Microsoft?  Getting a job with the "internet" is too vague. 

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2013, 12:55:11 PM »

In short:

More money passing through more hands.  More minds independently thinking and sharing gained experience and hammering out new ideas.  Open-source, yo.  The gray market is going to be the next big thing.  Government overregulation and the accumulation of capital in few actors has caused massive stagnation.  The gray market is not illegal, but it is also unregulated.  Craigslist, word of mouth, and good old supply and demand are the tools of the gray market.  Barter is it's currency.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2013, 01:09:05 PM »

This is utopian.  To have a "genius" plan, you need to work at it, not watch History Channel.  Every person in history that is considered a genius, worked really, really hard for a particular goal.  Your vague goal of everyone having money isn't realistic and not specific enough.  It's like making a product that no one needs;  there's no end goal here.

Tell gamers they don't need an Xbox or any console.  I can expand that:  products that people don't need/want or not willing to pay for.  That's not really the point.  What is a specific goal you are shooting for that involves you and only you?

I think the goal is to be efficient and productive with my time and effort.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2013, 01:19:46 PM »

That doesn't necessarily involve money or an economy.  It DOES depend almost solely on YOU.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »

So the issue at its core is that you are not efficient or productive with your time or effort?

katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »

Unless you win the lottery, there's really no substitute for hard work and lots of it. As I said before, it's really very simple. Get a job (which generally involves preparation, education, effort, etc.) or produce/provide a product or service that people are willing to pay you to produce/provide (this also involves preparation, planning, education, effort, and saving money, if you're going to need raw materials or equipment).

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »

Unless you win the lottery, there's really no substitute for hard work and lots of it. As I said before, it's really very simple. Get a job (which generally involves preparation, education, effort, etc.) or produce/provide a product or service that people are willing to pay you to produce/provide (this also involves preparation, planning, education, effort, and saving money, if you're going to need raw materials or equipment).
Stop making sense.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »

Stop making sense.
The making sense thread is elsewhere.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2013, 02:21:33 PM »

Well....actually....there is.  Discussing it here would get this moved to "Politics", however.  Do your REALLY want that??

Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »

Tell gamers they don't need an Xbox or any console.

They don't. PC gaming all the way.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2013, 02:51:14 PM »

Stop making sense.
Lead the way!

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
OC.net guru

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »

In short:

More money passing through more hands.  More minds independently thinking and sharing gained experience and hammering out new ideas.  Open-source, yo.  The gray market is going to be the next big thing.  Government overregulation and the accumulation of capital in few actors has caused massive stagnation.  The gray market is not illegal, but it is also unregulated.  Craigslist, word of mouth, and good old supply and demand are the tools of the gray market.  Barter is it's currency.
Locally, the gray market is huge.

I have a friend who is about to sell a house through a listing he posted on Facebook.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2013, 02:59:02 PM »

Tell gamers they don't need an Xbox or any console.

They don't. PC gaming all the way.

I love you.  No homo.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »

Stop making sense.
Lead the way!

I was hoping you would know where it is........NOW whatta we do?

katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2013, 03:59:06 PM »

Stop making sense.

Sorry. I got a little lightheaded there.
I promise I'll never do it again.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2013, 06:21:14 AM »

Stop making sense.
Lead the way!

Well, katherinofdixie has promised not to make sense anymore, so we probably should just wander aimlessly 'til we get there.  No guarantees, but it did work for the Israelites.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2013, 09:43:08 AM »

Stop making sense.
Lead the way!

Well, katherinofdixie has promised not to make sense anymore, so we probably should just wander aimlessly 'til we get there.  No guarantees, but it did work for the Israelites.

Sounds good to me!

WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2013, 04:52:35 PM »

So ... how would you go about building that sort of economy?... By providing jobs? ..
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 04:55:35 PM by WPM » Logged
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Protestant congregant, Student of Orthodoxy

« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2013, 08:26:01 PM »

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2013, 04:16:42 AM »

Hello.

To build a civilized local economy, you need these things.

1. A church (hehehe)
2. A farm
3. A bakery
4. Houses
5. Water
6. Sewage (not necessary)
... and other things

But the important thing, is to keep all things in commune. Then, the entire community will work at highest efficiency possible! Hey bill, I need a hammer! Ok Bob, here is my hammer! Hey I need a hammer too! Ok lets get another hammer together!

And also, eat together in one big table, the whole local people. It will be like thanksgiving dinner every day

If anyone misbehaves, then boot himn out of the community, or punish him in some terrible way that everyone sees so no one else will want to misbehave! do not forget to build walls

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2013, 01:36:43 PM »

So, kinda just be Amish?

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print