OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 05:25:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Against Serafim of Sarov  (Read 4991 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2013, 07:31:25 PM »

They have communed together for many decades, and everybody knows it and sees it.

Prove it.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »

it must have been the Latins that conformed to the trend set by the Kollyvades in this regard? I doubt it

Doubt it not.  The Latins and the Nikonians have both made the Kollyvades teaching on frequency of communion their official doctrine. 

They are parts of the same church. 

St. Ignatius of Antioch begs to differ.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

Faith: Old Rite Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Metr. Kornilii of Russia

« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »

Why give credence to the false claims of schismatics and enemies of the Church?
Oddly enough, I was wondering the same thing about you.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »

it must have been the Latins that conformed to the trend set by the Kollyvades in this regard? I doubt it

Doubt it not.  The Latins and the Nikonians have both made the Kollyvades teaching on frequency of communion their official doctrine.  

I'll probably get punished for saying this, but it's true:  Your argument is not intelligent enough to merit a rejoinder.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:50:53 PM by Dionysii » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2013, 07:37:31 PM »

Doubt it not.  The Latins and the Nikonians have both made the Kollyvades teaching on frequency of communion their official doctrine. 

That is an absurd claim.

It's true.  They go to church together and pray together - all the time. 
They have communed together for many decades, and everybody knows it and sees it.

Two things:

Firstly, you made that statement in connection to your claims about  the Kollyvades movement. Stop entangling other topics into this thread.

Secondly, despite the idividual actions of some priests and bishops, none of the Canonical Orthodox Churches recognize the roman catholic church's sacraments, they are therefore, per definition, not the same church.

I know this thread has already moved far beyond your absurd claims about St. Seraphim, but could we please try and finish one discussion before starting another?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »

I'll probably get punished for saying this, but it's true:  You're a moron.

What a delightfully intelligent argument.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2013, 07:41:13 PM »

I'll probably get punished for saying this, but it's true:  You're a moron.

Yeah, you'll get into trouble.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »

despite the idividual actions of some priests and bishops, none of the Canonical Orthodox Churches recognize the roman catholic church's sacraments, they are therefore, per definition, not the same church.

1) The actions of the Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Pope of Rome characterize the body which they lead.  

2) True enough that the canonical orthodox church does not recognize the sacraments of Frankish heretics.  However, the Patriarchate of Constantinople is not canonical, it's not orthodox, and it's not a church.  

To be precise, the Patriarchates of Constantinople and Moscow are heresies in communion with the pope in Rome.  
The photographs of these leaders in communion with each other since the Patr. Athenagoras and Pope Paul in the  1960's are available all over the internet.  

I have even heard of a source that asserted Patriarch Kyrill wears the robes of a western cardinal in his private Moscow office when not in public.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2013, 07:49:09 PM »

Doubt it not.  The Latins and the Nikonians have both made the Kollyvades teaching on frequency of communion their official doctrine.  

I'll probably get punished for saying this, but it's true:  You're a moron.

What a delightfully intelligent argument.

If only it had been preceded by one.  I will only stoop so low.

EDIT:
Reasonable enough.  I modified it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:51:37 PM by Dionysii » Logged
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »

I have even heard of a source that asserted Patriarch Kyrill wears the robes of a western cardinal in his private Moscow office when not in public.

Proof, or it didn't happen.  Angry
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2013, 07:55:03 PM »

despite the idividual actions of some priests and bishops, none of the Canonical Orthodox Churches recognize the roman catholic church's sacraments, they are therefore, per definition, not the same church.

1) The actions of the Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Pope of Rome characterize the body which they lead.  

2) True enough that the canonical orthodox church does not recognize the sacraments of Frankish heretics.  However, the Patriarchate of Constantinople is not canonical, it's not orthodox, and it's not a church.  

To be precise, the Patriarchates of Constantinople and Moscow are heresies in communion with the pope in Rome.  
The photographs of these leaders in communion with each other since the Patr. Athenagoras and Pope Paul in the  1960's are available all over the internet.  

Again, you are ignoring reality. You admit that we do not share communion and then goes on telling how we are in communion with each other. Do you even know what that word means?
And I would be very happy if you could share with us the "source" about Patriarch Kyrill.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:55:40 PM by Ansgar » Logged

-St Silouan the athonite
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »

If a person died in an accidental fire, such as a boiler exploded or they were the victim of arson, would we say about them, this means he or she can't become a saint? What is so special about dying in a fire?

Since I doubt St. Seraphim deliberately burned himself to death, didn't he essentially die in an unfortunate accident (if that anecdote about him dropping his pipe or something is true)? I mean, I'm sure even hearty tobacco pipe-users don't want to die in fires.

Just a thought.  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »

Proof, or it didn't happen.  Angry
Okay.  I will ask the person who told me that and get back to you.  

In the meantime, it would do you westerners some good to watch 'Mr Smith Goes to Washington'.  
http://vimeo.com/49156759

Although I retract my statement calling Shangaied a "moron", my point was something needs to get you blockheads thinking and questioning the status quo. The fact that you accept these churches the way they are is disturbing to me.  

"You mean you can tell these senators what to do?" - Jimmy Stewart
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:02:13 PM by Dionysii » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2013, 08:05:06 PM »

Proof, or it didn't happen.  Angry
Okay.  I will ask the person who told me that and get back to you.  

In the meantime, it would do you westerners some good to watch 'Mr Smith Goes to Washington'.  
http://vimeo.com/49156759

Although I retract my statement calling Shangaied a "moron", my point was something needs to get you blockheads thinking and questioning the status quo. The fact that you accept these churches the way they are is disturbing to me.  

You take back calling a person a moron and then proceed to call us blockheads?

-St Silouan the athonite
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »

That's right.  Furthermore, I think you've got all your energy in the wrong places.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »

I'll probably get punished for saying this, but it's true:  Your argument is not intelligent enough to merit a rejoinder.

"Gather together more frequently to celebrate the Lord's Eucharist and to praise Him," wrote St. Ignatius of Antioch.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »

I mean, I'm sure even hearty tobacco pipe-users don't want to die in fires.

Remember that scene in Ostrov when he started smoking the entire place out? Hmm...   (just kidding)

Perhaps he saw my pic in the other thread and was simply giving an accurate description?  Cool
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »

That's right.  Furthermore, I think you've got all your energy in the wrong places.

Care to expand?

-St Silouan the athonite
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »

I just got a pm and was about to open it thinking "well, it was nice being here while it lasted..."
It turned out to be a kind message from my friend Gebre replying to my message sympathizing with him for the way he's been treated on the forum.  Smiley

I mean, I'm sure even hearty tobacco pipe-users don't want to die in fires.

Remember that scene in Ostrov when he started smoking the entire place out? Hmm...   (just kidding)

lol.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:17 PM »

The Bela Krinitsa are the Eastern Orthodox Church.   
If that were true, they would not be completely dependent upon the "Nikonians" for their orders.

If you better understood apostolic succession, then you would not say that.

At what point in the Church's history has she been completely dependent on heretics to maintain apostolic succession?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »

On one occasion some heretics came to Abba Poimen and began to slander the Archbishop of Alexandria, saying that he had received his ordination from priests. The Elder was silent, then he called his disciple and told him: ”Set the table, give them to eat and dismiss them in peace”.

Moral: Is it a layman's business to superintend his bishop or the other way around?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:42:08 PM by Romaios » Logged
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »

I definitely plan to visit Russia. My fiancee and I are considering getting married in Russia (in a Bela Krinits Church, of course).

How's that divorce coming?

Don't know what I'm talking about? Weren't you still married, back in March?

Since my wife is a poor Honduran that cooks with wood in a mountain village, does not speak english, and worked as a cleaning lady for the equivalent of US$40 a month before we met[....]

If you're going to troll us, you should take some pains to get your story straight.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:35:04 PM by Keble » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2013, 08:35:13 PM »

All I know is, the longer I hang out around here the more confused I get.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »

Weren't you still married, back in March?
Since my wife is a poor Honduran that cooks with wood in a mountain village, does not speak english, and worked as a cleaning lady for the equivalent of US$40 a month before we met[....]

We are married in the secular government, but we have not yet been married in Church. 
That is why I say my fiancee. 
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »

Weren't you still married, back in March?

We are married in the secular government, but we have not yet been married in Church.  

I remain dubious.

Also, if you are going to send a message to someone calling them a "n-gg-r", I would advise you to either (a) learn what the word actually means, or (b) get at least a photo of the person in question.

Anyway, I'm done here.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:20:56 PM by Keble » Logged
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:58 PM »

I would advise you to get at least a photo of the person in question.
Permission granted to post a photo of yourself.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »

Anyway, I'm done here.
Good riddance.  Don't come back because you are uncivilized and degenerate.

People who seek to lead normal, holy lives like us are not interest in the comments of old perverts like yourself.
You ignorant comments reflect your own degenerate mindset.

At what point in the Church's history has she been completely dependent on heretics to maintain apostolic succession?

Heretics of the second rank - an important distinction.  All the bishops were annihilated in the late 1600's. 
The hierarchy was renewed circa 1846 with Saint Ambrose of Bosnia.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »

Anyway, I'm done here.
Good riddance.  Don't come back because you are uncivilized and degenerate.

People who seek to lead normal, holy lives like us are not interest in the comments of old perverts like yourself.

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that Dionysii is just a parody version created by someone on the forum.  Now I just need to figure out who it is.  There is no way someone seriously writes this stuff and actually believes it.

Orthonorm, is that you?  Clever job, my man.  Well done. I take back all the bad things I said about you.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »

Anyway, I'm done here.
Good riddance.  Don't come back because you are uncivilized and degenerate.

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that Dionysii is just a parody version created by someone on the forum.  Now I just need to figure out who it is.  There is no way someone seriously writes this stuff and actually believes it.

Orthonorm, is that you?  Clever job, my man.  Well done. I take back all the bad things I said about you.

Considering the nature of the slew of nasty messages I have recently sent his way, I doubt Keble concurs with your conclusion.
 You are hereby banned for sending nasty and threatening PMs and for trolling the forum.  Good bye and good riddance!

+ Fr. George
Forum Administrator
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:56:11 PM by Dionysii » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »

There's no rule against submitting racist posts to this forum, as long as they don't violate any other rules.
I appreciate your admitting that.  That says a mouthful.

Postscript:
If this is true, then I intend to broadcast it outside of this forum.  It says a lot about the nature of this forum.

Also, if you are going to send a message to someone calling them a "n-gg-r", I would advise you to either (a) learn what the word actually means, or (b) get at least a photo of the person in question.

Well that's interesting...  angel
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2013, 10:03:10 PM »

Thus endeth the forum life of one of the more peculiar members at oc.net.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2013, 11:14:38 PM »

Thus endeth the forum life of one of the more peculiar members at oc.net.

... and not before time, too.  Tongue
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2013, 06:05:06 AM »

And we'll never find out what caused the meltdown. Tongue

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2013, 06:06:57 AM »

And we'll never find out what caused the meltdown. Tongue

Indeed. Schade, schade.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:07:11 AM by LBK » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2013, 06:41:14 AM »

I'm doing a little Seraphiming myself.  Enjoying a pipe.

Very good.  What has St. Seraphim inspired you to put in your bowl?

Once again, there is no evidence St. Seraphim was a smoker. Why give credence to the false claims of schismatics and enemies of the Church?
Oh Pa, I was jus funnin.

Even a serious dude like me can have some fun.  But I really did smoke my pipe.  Doing it right now too.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2013, 06:55:58 AM »

I'm doing a little Seraphiming myself.  Enjoying a pipe.

Very good.  What has St. Seraphim inspired you to put in your bowl?

Once again, there is no evidence St. Seraphim was a smoker. Why give credence to the false claims of schismatics and enemies of the Church?

Just being facetious.  I do enjoy a good tobacco once in a while.  I think this thread has given enough credence to this guy as it is.

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2013, 05:29:22 AM »

Smiley Have been asked many a time, "Smoke?", to which on my more liverish days I respond, "No, but I steam real good".
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »

Smiley Have been asked many a time, "Smoke?", to which on my more liverish days I respond, "No, but I steam real good".
I'm enjoying a pipe again right now.  I've had some vacation days so I actually have the time to smoke my pipe, but have to go back to work next week.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »

I'm enjoying a pipe again right now.  I've had some vacation days so I actually have the time to smoke my pipe, but have to go back to work next week.

If your pipe smoking has led you to study dead languages like other great pipe smokers, then at least it's done something productive.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2013, 01:26:01 PM »

I definitely plan to visit Russia. My fiancee and I are considering getting married in Russia (in a Bela Krinits Church, of course).

How's that divorce coming?

Don't know what I'm talking about? Weren't you still married, back in March?

If you're going to troll us, you should take some pains to get your story straight.

PWNED

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2013, 12:56:12 AM »

ETERNAL MEMORY

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »

What bones do you guys have to pick with St. Seraphim of Sarov? He is one of the greatest saints of Russia, and a good example of a modern monastic (Modern in an Orthodox sense). The guy said "Cultivate the spirit of peace and thousands about thee shall be saved.@
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2013, 06:00:03 PM »

What bones do you guys have to pick with St. Seraphim of Sarov? He is one of the greatest saints of Russia, and a good example of a modern monastic (Modern in an Orthodox sense). The guy Saint said "Cultivate the spirit of peace and thousands about thee shall be saved.@

Exactly.

BTW, I fixed it for you.

p.s. I edited the title too.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:03:02 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2013, 07:55:02 PM »

p.s. I edited the title too.
You didn't need to. There's no forum requirement that an Old Believer must recognize a monk of the 'Nikonian' church as a saint, especially when doing so would destroy his criticism of the monk.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:02:45 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: