OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 12:06:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Against Serafim of Sarov  (Read 5424 times) Average Rating: 0
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

Faith: Old Rite Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Metr. Kornilii of Russia

« on: August 24, 2013, 01:31:24 PM »

Smoking tobacco and alcoholism were the normality for clergy in Romanov Russia, and this included the Monk Seraphim of Sarov whom the Nikonians believe to be a saint.  As a matter of fact, Monk Seraphim of Sarov was such a habitual smoker that he died from the smoke of his pipe.  His disciple lied about this and his devotees perpetuate this lie, but all those who knew the Nikonian Monk Seraphim of Sarov personally knew that he was an adamant pipe smoker. 

This fact is attested to in English language in the book 'The Human Tradition in Modern Russia' edited by William Husband:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ihn4GI1lmnsC&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=seraphim+sarov,+human+tradition+in+modern+russia&source=bl&ots=WAWI3KfSTq&sig=L-q2ujcvdUFpy-3itZvLtaV7XT8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=d-8YUooyqqrbBcXMgYgP&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=seraphim%20sarov%2C%20human%20tradition%20in%20modern%20russia&f=false
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:34:33 PM »

Why is tobacco use such a significant problem?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 01:40:06 PM »

What's the point of this thread?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 01:42:51 PM »

Smoking tobacco and alcoholism were the normality for clergy in Romanov Russia, and this included the Monk Seraphim of Sarov whom the Nikonians believe to be a saint.  As a matter of fact, Monk Seraphim of Sarov was such a habitual smoker that he died from the smoke of his pipe.  His disciple lied about this and his devotees perpetuate this lie, but all those who knew the Nikonian Monk Seraphim of Sarov personally knew that he was an adamant pipe smoker. 

This fact is attested to in English language in the book 'The Human Tradition in Modern Russia' edited by William Husband:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ihn4GI1lmnsC&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=seraphim+sarov,+human+tradition+in+modern+russia&source=bl&ots=WAWI3KfSTq&sig=L-q2ujcvdUFpy-3itZvLtaV7XT8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=d-8YUooyqqrbBcXMgYgP&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=seraphim%20sarov%2C%20human%20tradition%20in%20modern%20russia&f=false
crypto-Mormon.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »

Really! If anything this gives me MORE hope in the loving kindness of God not less...
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »

Maybe I just didn't look closely enough, but where are the source references? I didn't any references to historical documents, chronicles, personal letters or anything. Source Criticism is the first thing you learn when studying history.

Again, maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find anything.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »

There is no proof St. Seraphim of Sarov was a smoker. Obviously, many raskol'niki had a beef with him because when they visited him, he would put their fingers together (in three) and say, "May the Cross this way."

Now, St. Nikolai Velimirovic was a smoker.

It is amazing these people look for additional condemnation.

Please refer to this message to Romaios:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,53277.msg977614.html#msg977614

God bless you.

Mina

August 27, 2013
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:51:24 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »

I used to smoke. I won't make any excuses. However, I did quit.

Smoking may be a sin, as perhaps an abuse of the body which is the temple of God, but we all sin in something. I believe that God forgives. It is possible that St. Seraphim repented before he died. Therefore, I do not see that a smoking problem would be enough to completely deny him sainthood. Just my thoughts.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »

Maybe I just didn't look closely enough, but where are the source references? I didn't any references to historical documents, chronicles, personal letters or anything. Source Criticism is the first thing you learn when studying history.

The implication of the OP was that the true sources had been suppressed and that only the raskol'niki had the true, secret knowledge. That sort of fits with the gnosticism many of them adopted.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 02:21:24 PM »

I was unaware of that.  Appreciate the information.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »

I used to smoke. I won't make any excuses. However, I did quit.

Bravo.

It is possible that St. Seraphim repented before he died.
That is controverted by the facts.  At least as far as smoking goes, you have done better than he did.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 02:49:50 PM »

Which universally recognized authority condemns tobacco use?  Huh
Nathanael

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 03:21:54 PM »

Yessss, Old Believers knew best how St. Seraphim Sarov lifestyle was, because especially Old Believers had lived so close with him.
Source criticism!!! Only Old Beleivers sources.. - is not very convincing. It's like Old Calendarist talking about Elder Porphyrios and Elder Paisios - boring.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:22:14 PM by Nathanael » Logged

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 07:03:45 PM »

I hope this isn't going to be like the marijuana thread...

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »

I hope this isn't going to be like the marijuana thread...

Need to smoke. Having a cig. Now.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »

Sources?  You don't need no stinkin' sources when you hold the true faith!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »

Pages 30-31 are not included in the Google Books preview. Judging by the first essay in the book those pages would be where the source materials used would be listed.  Since this looks like a volume with good scholarly standards, I would be very surprised if there wasn't something on those pages in the book proper.  How available the book is so that one might check is the question. 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »

It is possible that St. Seraphim repented before he died.
That is controverted by the facts.  At least as far as smoking goes, you have done better than he did.

The account in the book is not "facts".  It is "A Legend on the Appearance of Tobacco" from the Old Believers.  That they apparently made statements against St. Serafim of Sarov (as well as others) does not make them facts and certainly not without some corroborating sources. 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 09:31:32 PM »

He died from the smoke of his pipe?  How so?
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 09:39:08 PM »

The Old Believer "legend" that the essay is about says that he "suffocated from a smoldering fire lit when he dropped his pipe onto a heap of rags" (page 27). 

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »

The Old Believer "legend" that the essay is about says that he "suffocated from a smoldering fire lit when he dropped his pipe onto a heap of rags" (page 27). 
Ah.  Thanks for explaining.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 10:36:38 PM »

If your purpose is to ruin the good name and works of St. Seraphim of Sarov, it hasn't worked.  What is your next beef with the MP ?
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »

Me thinks you may have picked the wrong forum to vent your dislike of St. Seraphim..
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 10:51:50 PM »

I was not aware that all saints were required to have the same level of sinlessness as the Theotokos before they could be canonized.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 12:01:32 AM »

I was not aware that all saints were required to have the same level of sinlessness as the Theotokos before they could be canonized.

As long as you don't inhale, you're good.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 12:34:20 AM »

That's the. My reason to like him.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 12:40:51 AM »

Me thinks you may have picked the wrong forum to vent your dislike of St. Seraphim..
It wasn't Asteriktos who posted the attempt to slander St. Seraphim.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 01:05:47 AM »

Dionysii, you are usually good about thinking outside of the box. Are you capable of doing so here?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 01:19:21 AM »

Not this crock again. Sheesh.  Tongue Tongue Roll Eyes
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2013, 01:20:34 AM »

As a matter of fact, Monk Seraphim of Sarov was such a habitual smoker that he died from the smoke of his pipe.  His disciple lied about this and his devotees perpetuate this lie, but all those who knew the Nikonian Monk Seraphim of Sarov personally knew that he was an adamant pipe smoker. 

I promchesya slovo sie vo raskolnikah dazhe do sego dne...
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2013, 03:06:16 AM »

As a matter of fact, Monk Seraphim of Sarov was such a habitual smoker that he died from the smoke of his pipe.  His disciple lied about this and his devotees perpetuate this lie, but all those who knew the Nikonian Monk Seraphim of Sarov personally knew that he was an adamant pipe smoker.

Translation please.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:07:16 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2013, 04:43:30 AM »

Pages 30-31 are not included in the Google Books preview. Judging by the first essay in the book those pages would be where the source materials used would be listed.  Since this looks like a volume with good scholarly standards, I would be very surprised if there wasn't something on those pages in the book proper.  How available the book is so that one might check is the question. 

Ah, thank you.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
converted viking

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 07:32:02 AM »

Oh pleaseeeeee give me a break.  What a load of rubbish !   Where is my pipe?  I am going to stuff that sucker and torch it off.   

Viking<Seraphim>
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »

As a matter of fact, Monk Seraphim of Sarov was such a habitual smoker that he died from the smoke of his pipe.  His disciple lied about this and his devotees perpetuate this lie, but all those who knew the Nikonian Monk Seraphim of Sarov personally knew that he was an adamant pipe smoker.

Translation please.

And this story has been spread among the raskolniki until this day. (cf. Mt. 28:15)

It has come to our attention that you used schismatic in a different language, "raskolniki":

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,53277.msg977614.html#msg977614

Please refer to my previous warning I gave to Dionysii:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25531.msg965739.html#msg965739

It seems to me Dionysii comes from the Old Calendar tradition, which though in schism, it's against the rules to call "schismatic".  Please try to avoid direct judgments, and rather use non-inflammatory language when referring to a group not united to your Church.

God bless you.

Mina

August 27, 2013
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:42:16 PM by minasoliman » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »

Ah.  Thanks for explaining.

You're welcome.   Smiley

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »

Ah, thank you.

I'm glad to be of service.   Smiley

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2013, 10:19:41 AM »

No good sources.

Btw, what if he did smoke? You realize that the world did not know that smoking was harmful for your health until the time of World War II? The Germans were the first to realize it, with Adolf Hitler giving up tobacco, and then the rest of the world discovered it around the close of the war.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »

Apparently it is misinformation about St. Nikolaj
Type in youtube "Vladika Nikolaj nije pusio duvan" or go to http://tinyurl.com/kp83dob

Regaradless if Sts Serafim or Nikolaj or someone else smoked it does not question their sainthood...that is the purpose of this thread, right? I do not know of any Saints who were perfect...but they became perfect through God.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »

No good sources.

Btw, what if he did smoke? You realize that the world did not know that smoking was harmful for your health until the time of World War II? The Germans were the first to realize it, with Adolf Hitler giving up tobacco, and then the rest of the world discovered it around the close of the war.

We have known that tobacco was bad for you for hundreds of years...
Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2013, 12:57:18 PM »

I am not sure about eveidence for or against St. Nikolai smoking, but it is definitely hard to find a Serb who doesnt smoke. It is just a very universal practice in Serbia, including priests and monks.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »

I am not sure about eveidence for or against St. Nikolai smoking, but it is definitely hard to find a Serb who doesnt smoke. It is just a very universal practice in Serbia, including priests and monks.

Monks!!!   Shocked

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »

^St. Ignatius Brianchaninov, in probably the most famous EO book on monasticism in contemporary times, basically excused tobacco use, saying that if you couldn't give it up that you should at least use it in private so as not to tempt others.

Does this not show the depths of depravity that the EO have fallen to since the pure Old believers left?  Cool
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »

Only one is perfect, The God Man. Saints being human have their flaws. Saint Seraphim's flaws are unknown to me and many, I suspect. His Herculean struggle is known as is his Christian love for those who approached him.

Other than any betrayal of Orthodoxy the only flaws that really concern me are my own.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »

No good sources.

We have known that tobacco was bad for you for hundreds of years...

Actually, he didn't totally miss the mark. In the first half of the 20th century, you could still find doctors who would prescripe tobacco as medicin.

-St Silouan the athonite
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »

Maybe I just didn't look closely enough, but where are the source references?
Further sources are mentioned in the accounts preserved by Old Believers. 
It is prejudiced to dismiss these accounts without reading or knowing what they have to say.  They may very well preserve information from the past exactly as it occurred.  The Old Believers have a reputation for that.

What's the point of this thread?
The point is to make known an historical tradition about Monk Seraphim of Sarov which is very different from the positive Nikonian portrayal.  The Russian language has both representations, but the English language is disproportionately represented by the Nikonian only.   
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »

The veneration of Monk Seraphim of Sarov is an indication of the apostasy of the Nikonian church in so far as it is a mark of oecumenism and unity with the Franks since the Vatican and Moscow Patriarchate both officially venerate him as a saint. 
WeldeMikael
High Elder

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2013, 03:37:32 PM »

^St. Ignatius Brianchaninov, in probably the most famous EO book on monasticism in contemporary times, basically excused tobacco use, saying that if you couldn't give it up that you should at least use it in private so as not to tempt others.

Does this not show the depths of depravity that the EO have fallen to since the pure Old believers left?  Cool

Cool
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2013, 03:51:10 PM »

The veneration of Monk Seraphim of Sarov is an indication of the apostasy of the Nikonian church in so far as it is a mark of oecumenism and unity with the Franks since the Vatican and Moscow Patriarchate both officially venerate him as a saint. 

That is ridiculous. We can't stop people from venerating Orthodox saints and why should we?

I'm sorry, but all this seems to me like a really bad attempt to demonize a person.

-St Silouan the athonite
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »

Then based on your logic while EO except old rite is in apostasy...no, I don't think so. Especially silly it sounds that because of smoking that we should not think of him as a saint...if Catholics praise Jesus, does it mean that we should stop? Come on D. I know you mean well, but there is a need to look at the context here. The only sin worth questioning that comes to my head at the moment (from our human reasoning) is whether that individual was confessing the faith "correctly"...now, smoking, drinking or any other such things do necessary mean that a person is not a saint...Beloved St. Mary of Egypt is perhaps the best example...I am confident you will agree that her sin was greater if we really have to compare...but only God knows what in our hearts...
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »

is a mark of oecumenism and unity with the Franks since the Vatican and Moscow Patriarchate both officially venerate him as a saint. 

So wait, venerating St. George is a mark of ecumenism too?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2013, 04:08:32 PM »

But vices do not have to be made up from lies in order to advance one's God-hating agenda.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »

Type in youtube "Vladika Nikolaj nije pusio duvan" or go to http://tinyurl.com/kp83dob

Regaradless if Sts Serafim or Nikolaj or someone else smoked it does not question their sainthood...that is the purpose of this thread, right? I do not know of any Saints who were perfect...but they became perfect through God.

Apologies if it is misinformation. It was something I heard from someone who went to St. Tikhon's, where St. Nikolai taught. If one reads the works of St. Nikolai and comes to some conclusion against his sanctity, I think one would need one's head and soul seriously examined for signs of life and intelligence.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »

I'm sure one could find a lot more interesting stuff on the depravity of the raskol'niki.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2013, 04:14:37 PM »

That is ridiculous. We can't stop people from venerating Orthodox saints and why should we?

I'm sorry, but all this seems to me like a really bad attempt to demonize a person.

And to justify their own idolatry.

Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2013, 05:16:15 PM »

Apologies if it is misinformation. It was something I heard from someone who went to St. Tikhon's, where St. Nikolai taught. If one reads the works of St. Nikolai and comes to some conclusion against his sanctity, I think one would need one's head and soul seriously examined for signs of life and intelligence.

Indicative of his perverted faith, Nikolai Velimirovich clearly praised the prophets of non-Christian false religions including Lao Tse, Krishna, Buddha, and Zoroaster:

"The wise man of China admonishes my soul to be peaceful and still, and to wait for the Tao to act within her.  Glory be the memory of Lao-tse, the teacher and prophet of his people!

The wise man of India teaches my soul not to be afraid of suffering, but through the arduous and relentless drilling in purification and prayer to elevate herself to the One on high, who will come out to greet her and manifest to her His face and His power.  Glorious be the memory of Krishna, the teacher and prophet of his people!

The royal son of India teaches my soul to empty herself completely of every seed and crop of the world, to abandon all the serpentine allurements of frail and shadowy matter, and then - in vacuity, tranquillity, purity and bliss - to await nirvana.  Blessed be the memory of Buddha, the royal son and inexorable teacher of his people!

The thunderous wise man of Persia tells my soul that there is nothing in the world except light and darkness, and that the soul must break free from the darkness as the day does from the night.  For the sons of light are conceived from the light, and the sons of darkness are conceived from the darkness.  Glorious be the memory of Zoroaster, the great prophet of his people!"

http://byzantinechesterton.blogspot.com/2012/06/st-nikolai-velimirovich-on.html
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2013, 05:22:20 PM »

Indicative of his perverted faith, Nikolai Velimirovich clearly praised the prophets of non-Christian false religions including Lao Tse, Krishna, Buddha, and Zoroaster:

"The wise man of China admonishes my soul to be peaceful and still, and to wait for the Tao to act within her.  Glory be the memory of Lao-tse, the teacher and prophet of his people!

The wise man of India teaches my soul not to be afraid of suffering, but through the arduous and relentless drilling in purification and prayer to elevate herself to the One on high, who will come out to greet her and manifest to her His face and His power.  Glorious be the memory of Krishna, the teacher and prophet of his people!

The royal son of India teaches my soul to empty herself completely of every seed and crop of the world, to abandon all the serpentine allurements of frail and shadowy matter, and then - in vacuity, tranquillity, purity and bliss - to await nirvana.  Blessed be the memory of Buddha, the royal son and inexorable teacher of his people!

The thunderous wise man of Persia tells my soul that there is nothing in the world except light and darkness, and that the soul must break free from the darkness as the day does from the night.  For the sons of light are conceived from the light, and the sons of darkness are conceived from the darkness.  Glorious be the memory of Zoroaster, the great prophet of his people!"

http://byzantinechesterton.blogspot.com/2012/06/st-nikolai-velimirovich-on.html

And did not the Church Fathers take from the ancient greek philosophers, that which was true and good?

-St Silouan the athonite
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »

Those quotes are totally taken out of context: for St. Nikolai's view on these matters, see his Iznad Istoka i Zapada (Above East and West).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:37:54 PM by Romaios » Logged
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »

The account in the book is not "facts".  It is "A Legend on the Appearance of Tobacco" from the Old Believers.

Are you indicating an actual book or essay by that name?
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2013, 05:53:37 PM »

did not the Church Fathers take from the ancient greek philosophers, that which was true and good?
They did not take from them as if they needed to learn truths from them. 
Some Church Fathers did indeed quote specific doctrines which were true in order for their audience to identify with a part of their teaching.

However, I am unfamiliar with any Church Fathers glorifying the memory or either Zoroaster, Lao Tse, Buddha, or Krishna.
The Church Fathers did the opposite of the Nikonian Bishop Nikolai Velimirovich. 
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2013, 05:57:48 PM »

Those quotes are totally taken out of context

No. You speak falsely.

The Bishop Velimirovich said "Glorious be the memory of Zoroaster."  Did he not?
How is that passage out of context?
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »

did not the Church Fathers take from the ancient greek philosophers, that which was true and good?
They did not take from them as if they needed to learn truths from them. 
Some Church Fathers did indeed quote specific doctrines which were true in order for their audience to identify with a part of their teaching.

However, I am unfamiliar with any Church Fathers glorifying the memory or either Zoroaster, Lao Tse, Buddha, or Krishna.
The Church Fathers did the opposite of the Nikonian Bishop Nikolai Velimirovich. 

Most Church Fathers probably didn't even know that they existed... well, maybe Zoroaster and Buddha to a limited degree. And as Romaios said, these quotes probably shouldn't be read for themselves.

-St Silouan the athonite
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2013, 06:11:57 PM »

Those quotes are totally taken out of context

No. You speak falsely.

The Bishop Velimirovich said "Glorious be the memory of Zoroaster."  Did he not?
How is that passage out of context?

This is on the very page you referred to:

Do not slay the prophets sent to you, my soul, for their graves contain not them, but those who slew them.

Wash and cleanse yourself; become tranquil amid the turbulent sea of the world, and keep within yourself the counsels of the prophets sent to you.  Surrender yourself entirely to the One on high and say to the world:  "I have nothing for you."

Even the most righteous of the sons of men, who believe in you, are merely feeble shadows which, like the righteous Joseph, walk in your shadow.  For mortality begets mortality and not life.  Truly I say to you: earthly husbands are mistaken when they say that they give life. They do not give it but ruin it.  They push life into the red sea and drown it, and beforehand they wrap it in darkness and make it a diabolical illusion.  There is no life, O soul, unless it comes from the Holy Spirit.  Nor is there any reality in the world, unless it comes down from heaven.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2013, 06:28:31 PM »

"Of this family there was born in due time a certain one, who took up with magical practices, by name Nebrod, who chose, giant-like, to devise things in opposition to God. Him the Greeks have called Zoroaster."
- Saint Clement of Rome (Homily 9, Chapter 4)
http://saintclementofrome.blogspot.com/p/homilies-1-10.html

"Glorious be the memory of Zoroaster."
- Nikolai Velimirovich

He speaks for himself.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2013, 06:36:29 PM »

Most Church Fathers probably didn't even know that they existed...
A bit off topic, but I am finding that the Panarion of Saint Epiphanius of Salamis is rather astute.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2013, 06:38:05 PM »

"Of this family there was born in due time a certain one, who took up with magical practices, by name Nebrod, who chose, giant-like, to devise things in opposition to God. Him the Greeks have called Zoroaster."

- Nikolai Velimirovich

He speaks for himself.
What exactly does Nebrod and Zoroaster have to do with each other.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »

Most Church Fathers probably didn't even know that they existed...
A bit off topic, but I am finding that the Panarion of Saint Epiphanius of Salamis is rather astute.
Haven't read it yet. Where does it mention Buddha?

-St Silouan the athonite
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »

- Nikolai Velimirovich

He speaks for himself.

I merely quoted Clement of Rome verbatim in order to show his declaration that Zoroaster was magician against God.

However, I mentioned Saint Epiphanius's Panarion in anticipation of your question about the connection of Zoroaster with "Nebrod" which does sound a lot like the "Nimrod" of Babel mentioned in Genesis. 

Not in any way excusing Zoroaster, Saint Epiphanius clarifies this matter in the Panarion chapter 3, verse 3: 
"The world’s transgressions were spread abroad from there, for Nimrod was the originator of wrong doctrine, astrology and magic—which is what some say of Zoroaster, but in actual fact this was the time of Nimrod the giant; the two, Nimrod and Zoroaster, are far apart in time."
http://www.jacksonsnyder.com/yah/manuscript-library/the%20panarion%20of%20epiphanius%20of%20salamis.pdf
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2013, 06:56:01 PM »

I merely quoted Clement of Rome verbatim in order to show his declaration that Zoroaster was magician against God.

However, I mentioned Saint Epiphanius's Panarion in anticipation of your question about the connection of Zoroaster with "Nebrod" which does sound a lot like the "Nimrod" of Babel mentioned in Genesis. 

Not in any way excusing Zoroaster, Saint Epiphanius clarifies this matter in the Panarion chapter 3, verse 3: 
"The world’s transgressions were spread abroad from there, for Nimrod was the originator of wrong doctrine, astrology and magic—which is what some say of Zoroaster, but in actual fact this was the time of Nimrod the giant; the two, Nimrod and Zoroaster, are far apart in time."
http://www.jacksonsnyder.com/yah/manuscript-library/the%20panarion%20of%20epiphanius%20of%20salamis.pdf

On the Pseudo-Clement you quoted:

The original author shows a detailed knowledge of the towns on the Phoenician coast from Caesarea to Antioch. He was an Arian, and Arianism had its home in the civil diocese of the Orient. He uses the Praeparatio Evangelica of Eusebius of Caesarea (written about 313). In 325 that historian mentions the dialogues of Peter and Appion as just published — presumably in his own region; these were probably the nucleus of the larger work completed by the same hand a few years later. Citations of Pseudo-Clement are by the Palestinian Epiphanius, who found the romance among the Ebionites of Palestine; by St. Jerome, who had dwelt in the Syrian desert and settled at Bethlehem; by the travelled Rufinus; by the Apostolical Constitutions, compiled in Syria or Palestine. The work is rendered into Syriac before 411. The Arian author of the Opus imperfectum cited it freely. It was interpolated by a Eunomian about 365–70. All these indications suggest an Arian author before 350 in the East, probably not far from Caesarea.

The author, though an Arian, probably belonged nominally to the Catholic Church. He wrote for the heathens of his day, and observed the stiff and often merely formal disciplina arcani which the 4th century enforced. Atonement, grace, sacraments are omitted for this cause only. "The true Prophet" is not a name for Christ used by Christians, but the office of Christ which the author puts forward towards the pagan world. He shows Peter keeping the evening agape and Eucharist secret from Clement when unbaptized; it was no doubt a Eucharist of bread and wine, not of bread and salt.

Source
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »

- Nikolai Velimirovich

He speaks for himself.

I still do not follow where you are going. Nimrod and Nebrod are two variations of the same name and What Saint Epiphanius seems to be doing is seperating Zoroaster and Nimrod from each other. We are moving further and further away from the original topic of this thread.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 07:03:03 PM by Ansgar » Logged

-St Silouan the athonite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2013, 07:09:55 PM »

St. Clement of Rome... he was one of the numerous Church Fathers who use the pagan evil wicked dastardly myth of the rising Phoenix, right?  Cool
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2013, 07:27:49 PM »

On the Pseudo-Clement you quoted:

The original author shows a detailed knowledge of the towns on the Phoenician coast from Caesarea to Antioch. He was an Arian, and Arianism had its home in the civil diocese of the Orient. He uses the Praeparatio Evangelica of Eusebius of Caesarea (written about 313). In 325 that historian mentions the dialogues of Peter and Appion as just published — presumably in his own region; these were probably the nucleus of the larger work completed by the same hand a few years later. Citations of Pseudo-Clement are by the Palestinian Epiphanius, who found the romance among the Ebionites of Palestine; by St. Jerome, who had dwelt in the Syrian desert and settled at Bethlehem; by the travelled Rufinus; by the Apostolical Constitutions, compiled in Syria or Palestine. The work is rendered into Syriac before 411. The Arian author of the Opus imperfectum cited it freely. It was interpolated by a Eunomian about 365–70. All these indications suggest an Arian author before 350 in the East, probably not far from Caesarea.

The author, though an Arian, probably belonged nominally to the Catholic Church. He wrote for the heathens of his day, and observed the stiff and often merely formal disciplina arcani which the 4th century enforced. Atonement, grace, sacraments are omitted for this cause only. "The true Prophet" is not a name for Christ used by Christians, but the office of Christ which the author puts forward towards the pagan world. He shows Peter keeping the evening agape and Eucharist secret from Clement when unbaptized; it was no doubt a Eucharist of bread and wine, not of bread and salt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine_literature

You assert that the text I quoted was not written by Saint Clement, and you quote a wikipedia article against his authorship.
According to your own quote, Saints Jerome and Epiphanius accepted this work as genuinely written by Saint Clement of Rome.
No disrespect, but I prefer the company of saints to the folks at wikipedia!  Smiley 
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2013, 07:35:53 PM »

You assert that the text I quoted was not written by Saint Clement, and you quote a wikipedia article against his authorship.
According to your own quote, Saints Jerome and Epiphanius accepted this work as genuinely written by Saint Clement of Rome.
No disrespect, but I prefer the company of saints to the folks at wikipedia!  Smiley 

It's not just wikipedia - it's the general scientific consensus that the writings you quoted do not belong to the same St. Clement who wrote the Epistle(s) to the Corinthians. But I guess that wouldn't mean much to you, anyway. They rely on Eusebius of Caesarea and are tainted by Arianism.

The Epistle of Judas quotes Enoch. Do you propose we should invest that apocryphon with Scriptural authority as well?
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »

We are moving further and further away from the original topic of this thread.

We took a brief detour into relevant patristic literature.  
I think the side conversation about Nikolai Velimirovich has been directly relevant because the essence of the opening post about Seraphim of Sarov concerns the legitimacy of Nikonian saints - a category to which Bishop Nikolai belongs according to many Nikonian denominations.  Matthewites are the only Nikonian synod that currently come to mind of which I am certain would not consider him a saint.    
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2013, 07:45:46 PM »

It's not just wikipedia - it's the general scientific consensus ...
Yeah...we definitely have a different way of evaluating what constitutes truth.

If you can show that it's not then I'll give you due credit. 
I have not investigated it deeply, but the fact that your own source says that Saints Jerome and Saints Epiphanius believed it was genuine is the factor that buried the subject in my book.  I haave other things to do in life.  That issue will have to be explained for starters if I was ever to consider otherwise. 
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »

I have not investigated it deeply, but the fact that your own source says that Saints Jerome and Saints Epiphanius believed it was genuine is the factor that buried the subject in my book. 

It doesn't say as much - St. Epiphanius quotes/alludes to the Pseudo-Clementina, but it's not clear whether he credits St. Clement for them. He doesn't mention him in the excerpt you brought up about Nimrod/Nebrod.  

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2013, 08:03:38 PM »

We are moving further and further away from the original topic of this thread.

We took a brief detour into relevant patristic literature.  
I think the side conversation about Nikolai Velimirovich has been directly relevant because the essence of the opening post about Seraphim of Sarov concerns the legitimacy of Nikonian saints - a category to which Bishop Nikolai belongs according to many Nikonian denominations.  Matthewites are the only Nikonian synod that currently come to mind of which I am certain would not consider him a saint.    
Our saints are no less legitimate than yours.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2013, 09:51:35 PM »

The account in the book is not "facts".  It is "A Legend on the Appearance of Tobacco" from the Old Believers.

Are you indicating an actual book or essay by that name?

The link that you posted was to the Google Books preview of 'The Human Tradition in Modern Russia' edited by William B. Husband.  This is a text book published by Rowman and Littlefield
https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780842028561 and is described thusly:

" By integrating the human dimension into Russian history, this lively textbook introduces Russian social history since 1861 to readers in provocative and interesting new ways. The essays in this unique collection are based largely on previously classified Russian archival information available only since 1991. Bringing in the perspectives of individuals and groups usually overlooked, the authors give the reader a grassroots view of modern Russia. The Human Tradition in Modern Russia is an ideal for courses on Russian history and civilization and modern European history."

Here is the first part of the Table of Contents:

"Chapter 1 Introduction: The Persistence of Memory in Modern Russia
Part 2 I. Reform, Modernization, and Imperial Society
Chapter 3 Krylov vs. Krylova: 'Sexual Incapacity' and Divorce in Tsarist Russia
Chapter 4 Old Believers in Imperial Russia: A Legend on the Appearance of Tobacco"

Bold has been added for emphasis.  That is the chapter, which you cited, that has the passage about St. Serafim of Sarov and that his death was said by Old Believers according to the text to have been due to smoke/tobacco.  The text plainly states that it was Old Believers who reported that various people in the ROC were smokers and that their deaths were due to tobacco. 

Such reports by persons who were not close to St. Serefim are dubious, to say the least, without some form of support.  The point of the essay as shown in the title and in reading the pages around your chosen passage is to give information on one group's views on tobacco and how these could be used against another group with whom they had a history of deep disagreement and enmity, to say the least.

So the material that you provided is not about "facts" on the passing of St. Serefim of Sarov but about what a rival religious group SAID/WROTE about him.  Their story/rumour/ etc.

There's a difference.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »

I have several reliable sources indicating that the priest Avvakum was a big stoner and died listening to Phish.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »

That's in St Paul's Letter to the Antiochians, right? 

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2013, 10:12:21 PM »

- Nikolai Velimirovich

Does he even speak it at all? It should surprise nobody to learn that searching for this phrase produces nothing but blogs. Looking for "Zoroaster" produces a sentence from Velimirovic's The Agony of the Church which is not at all congruent with this supposed quote; unfortunately I cannot get further than that because I cannot see enough of the text online to be sure of the full context, but given the severe disparity and the lack of any other book hits I have to assume that this is a slander passed around uncritically as is typical of the internet, where it is quite easy to check up on so extreme a statement.

Come up with a full book citation, in English; until then, keep your rumor-mongering to yourself.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2013, 10:28:37 PM »

wait, he actually died from smoking a pipe? Like are you serious? Pipe smoking? Nothing you ever say or post will ever hold any weight with me whatsoever.

Did you know that the moon landing was faked and Jesus had relations with Mary Magdalene? In fact I'm a direct descendant of their union.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2013, 10:29:09 PM »

- Nikolai Velimirovich

Does he even speak it at all? It should surprise nobody to learn that searching for this phrase produces nothing but blogs. Looking for "Zoroaster" produces a sentence from Velimirovic's The Agony of the Church which is not at all congruent with this supposed quote; unfortunately I cannot get further than that because I cannot see enough of the text online to be sure of the full context, but given the severe disparity and the lack of any other book hits I have to assume that this is a slander passed around uncritically as is typical of the internet, where it is quite easy to check up on so extreme a statement.

Come up with a full book citation, in English; until then, keep your rumor-mongering to yourself.

The quote is authentic. It's from Prayers by the Lake, no. XLVIII. Here's the original Serbian:

Сви пророци од постанка вапију души мојој, да се створи девојком и спреми за пријем Сина Божанског у пречисту утробу своју.

Да постане лествица, низ коју ће Бог сићи у свет, и човек узићи к Богу.

Да исуши у себи црвено море крвних страсти, те да човек - роб може прећи у земљу обећану, земљу слободе.

Китајски мудрац опомиње душу моју, да буде мирна и непокретна и да чека, да Тао дејствује у њој. Слава нека је Лао - Цеу, учитељу и пророку народа свог!

Индијски мудрац учи душу моју, да се не плаши страдања, но да се кроз тешко и истрајно вежбање, кроз чишћење и молитву, диже Вишњему, који ће јој изићи на сусрет и показати јој лице Своје и силу Своју. Слава нека је Кришни, учитељу и пророку народа свог!

Царски син Индије учи душу моју, да се испразни потпуно од свега семена и усева света, и отпадне од свих змијских прелести немоћне и сеновите материје, па да као празна, мирна, чиста и блажена Нирвана чека. Слава нека је Буди, царском сину и неумитном учитељу народа свог!

Громовити персијски мудрац говори души мојој, да у свима световима нема ништа осим светлости и таме, и да се душа мора оцепити од таме као дан од ноћи. Јер синови светлости зачињу се од светлости, а синови таме зачињу се од таме. Слава нека је Зороастру, великом пророку народа свог!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:30:20 PM by Romaios » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2013, 10:33:39 PM »

What does the other half of the sentence mean? You can't stop after the first phrase when there's still the rest of it. I'd wager most of us don't read Serbian. What does великом пророку народа свог! mean? And can you please explain the tone so we know what he meant? It isn't helpful otherwise.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

spcasuncoast.org
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2013, 10:39:43 PM »

What does the other half of the sentence mean? You can't stop after the first phrase when there's still the rest of it. I'd wager most of us don't read Serbian. What does великом пророку народа свог! mean? And can you please explain the tone so we know what he meant? It isn't helpful otherwise.

It's a prayer that glorifies in exalted terms all the wise men of Antiquity as precursors of the Incarnate Logos and messengers from the Bridegroom (=Christ) to the soul. That's what I meant myself when I said that the quote needs to be read and interpreted in its proper context. Muhammad, for instance, who came after Christ (claiming precedence over Him, cf. John 10:8 ), is - of course - excluded.

великом пророку народа свог! means "great prophet of his nation/people".

I don't read much Serbian myself.   Wink
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:01:11 PM by Romaios » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2013, 10:41:11 PM »

Someone should just lock this thread. Nothing good has come of it yet.

spcasuncoast.org
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2013, 08:33:28 AM »

I enjoy the occasional cigar or pipe.  I have a meerschaum pipe that I had made for me by a pipe carver in Turkey.  It's a beautiful piece of work and is turning from white to a nice cream color.  St. Seraphim was not glorified a saint because he did or did not smoke.  If I could pray even a tenth of the amount he did every day...the possibilities are infinite.  Glory to God!

EDIT:  Thinking further, as I imagine smoking a bowl of my nice cavendish blend, was St. Seraphim's smoking (if he did) a stumbling block for any of his spiritual children?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 08:38:00 AM by hecma925 » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2013, 09:01:34 AM »

- Nikolai Velimirovich

It is actually found in St. Nikolai's "Prayers by the Lake," in which he also praises Buddha, Krishna, and Laozi as prophets for their peoples. There is nothing wrong with it- it just an extension of what the Fathers were doing in finding predictions of Christ in Plato, Virgil, etc.

Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2013, 11:46:15 PM »

Dear D.
With this type of analysis you should not even start reading the All-man (Svecovek). Those who have some background in philosophy know that context and terminology are very important. You can't study philosophers without thinking like them. Many of St. Nikolaj's works are philosophical. But that is not the biggest issue. D, you are all over the thread.  I do not see a focused thesis from you in this thread. First you raise the issue of smoking which no other participants so as partculary important. Then you moved to an issue of having Roman Catholics praise St Seraphim and you concluded that it is a proof that if they like him then he is bad. When we have mentioned other figures being praised by Roman Catholics you moved to another issue or better said individual. You started analyzing a fragment of St. Nikolaj's work and completely ignoring what he said...If you have some accusations to make then fine...but don't change the topic when someone provides you with a reply you dislike. I would appreciate it if you would explain it to me how a saint (any EO saint) is considered a Nikonian saint. What are requirements?
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2013, 12:02:31 AM »

This is not at all a "matter of fact".  What is a matter of fact is that Old Believers and Old Calendarists routinely slander true Orthodox saints out of jealousy and resentment since these groups, having departed from the body of Christ and lacking the grace of the Holy Spirit, are unable to produce saints of their own.  With the Old Calendarists I have seen this numerous times as they criticize holy elders such as Elder Paisios and Elder Porphyrios.  Yet, when you ask them for the lives of their Old Calendarists saints there is nobody they can point to.  It is the same with the Old Believers.  They spread lies in an attempt to slander our saints with the hope that we will become disillusioned and depart from the Ark of Salvation without asking them to share with us the lives of their saints.  If we ask this, again there is nothing they can provide.  Anyone can come up with lies and slander, but we who revere the saints know who are saints and who are slanderers.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2013, 12:16:25 AM »

"All prophets from beginning cry to my soul, for it to become a girl and prepares it self for acceptance of Son of God in its clean womb. For it to become the ladder through which God will enter into the world and a man go towards god. For it to dry the Red Sea of bloody passions, so a man -slave can cross to the prides land  of freedom."
These first three lines are more important than what follows. They are the statement while below are examples of that statement...he uses those prophets who have tried and failed to reunite themselves with. He praises them for trying. These three sentences have so much reference in them that I will mention just a few...to the Virgin Mary and the birth of Christ, Jacob's ladder...and at the end Resurrection...you just have read carefully. The first three sentences represent Christ's way while others the failed attempts of others...he clearly indicates that the arrival of Son of God is the only way of reuniting God and a human...

Hope this helps...

http://www.rastko.rs/svecovek/duhovnost/vlnikolaj/vlnikolaj_molitva.html

Сви пророци од постанка вапију души мојој, да се створи девојком и спреми за пријем Сина Божанског у пречисту утробу своју.

Да постане лествица, низ коју ће Бог сићи у свет, и човек узићи к Богу.

Да исуши у себи црвено море крвних страсти, те да човек - роб може прећи у земљу обећану, земљу слободе.

Китајски мудрац опомиње душу моју, да буде мирна и непокретна и да чека, да Тао дејствује у њој. Слава нека је Лао - Цеу, учитељу и пророку народа свог!

Индијски мудрац учи душу моју, да се не плаши страдања, но да се кроз тешко и истрајно вежбање, кроз чишћење и молитву, диже Вишњему, који ће јој изићи на сусрет и показати јој лице Своје и силу Своју. Слава нека је Кришни, учитељу и пророку народа свог!

Царски син Индије учи душу моју, да се испразни потпуно од свега семена и усева света, и отпадне од свих змијских прелести немоћне и сеновите материје, па да као празна, мирна, чиста и блажена Нирвана чека. Слава нека је Буди, царском сину и неумитном учитељу народа свог!

Громовити персијски мудрац говори души мојој, да у свима световима нема ништа осим светлости и таме, и да се душа мора оцепити од таме као дан од ноћи. Јер синови светлости зачињу се од светлости, а синови таме зачињу се од таме. Слава нека је Зороастру, великом пророку народа свог!
[/quote]
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2013, 12:22:06 AM »

I would appreciate it if you would explain it to me how a saint (any EO saint) is considered a Nikonian saint. What are requirements?

First, I and others use the name Nikon for lack of a better name because he was the leading representative of this camp during the schism.  This applies to the Patr Constantinople and Moscow Patr indicriminately of their national distinction.  They are in communion and in the same camp as far as this issue and fall under the category of Nikonian.  By Nikonian, I mean the post 1666 Patriarchates of Constantinople and Moscow as well other synods in communion with them (i.e. synod of Greece) (also included are the Old Calendarists who were in communion with the rest of these until the early 20th century).  

Persons canonized as saints by these Nikonian synods after 1666 are whom I consider Nikonian saints.  After this date, two opposing churches with different traditions existed including two different sets of saints.  

Hope this helps.  The saints of the early Church are not part of the contention here since both sides accept them.  
What I do question is the legitimacy of post-1666 Nikonian saints which includes Russia's Optina brotherhood and the Greek Kollyvades.  
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2013, 12:36:19 AM »

Dionysii, you are usually good about thinking outside of the box. Are you capable of doing so here?

I appreciate your comments. 
As you might have perceived, I am newer to the Old believers and have had less time to accumulate the same level and quality of knowledge about this particular controversy as I have on some of the others of which you might be thinking.  Of course, the truth remains what it is reguardless of my lack of eloquency and destitution of interesting knowledge wherewith to express it. 

To answer your question more precisely, I would venture that you will find my arguments on this particular topic more cultivated, interesting, and even characteristically "outside the box" as you put it in a few years time.  I'll still be arguing the same thing, mind you, but I estimate it will take time to have the form and quality I understand you to speak of.  Rome wasn't built in a day. 
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2013, 01:10:17 AM »

Persons canonized as saints by these Nikonian synods after 1666 are whom I consider Nikonian saints.  After this date, two opposing churches with different traditions existed including two different sets of saints.  
I have observed several clues that indicate what determines saintly status is very different for these two traditions.  More specifically, the Nikonian tradition appears much more liberal and eclectic.  The liberal attitude towards smoking, for example, is unthinkable with Old Believer laymen - let alone a saint.  I am persuaded that this liberal attitude has characterized Nikonian attitudes towards other issues as well and Nikonian morality generally. 

To put it more acutely, this lack of morality more truly characterizes Sergianism.  Nikonianism is schismatic (heretical of the second rank), but not full heresy of the first rank.  True Nikonianism only survives in small dwindling groups like the Matthewites.  The majority of EO today are Sergianists, the wayward children of the Nikonians.   
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2013, 01:52:17 AM »

Nice...my patron saint was a habitual smoker and drinker! I wondered why after all these years I had to hit the men's smoke shop a few times a week and sip some good whiskey to boot as well. It's quite the normal routine and glad to see I have something in common with him besides the Orthodox faith.  Cool 

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2013, 06:56:51 AM »

To put it more acutely, this lack of morality more truly characterizes Sergianism.  Nikonianism is schismatic (heretical of the second rank), but not full heresy of the first rank.  True Nikonianism only survives in small dwindling groups like the Matthewites.  The majority of EO today are Sergianists, the wayward children of the Nikonians.   

What on earth...?

recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2013, 07:09:05 AM »

Are you indicative of what represents these "old believers"? I have never seen a sane example yet, I hope I am wrong but you all seem to be in nned of having your heads examined. you seem to be a pathetic bunch of babbling fools.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2013, 07:11:35 AM »

This is getting more and more ridiculous.

-St Silouan the athonite
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2013, 07:19:22 AM »

I'm doing a little Seraphiming myself.  Enjoying a pipe.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2013, 08:12:49 AM »

Very good.  What has St. Seraphim inspired you to put in your bowl?

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2013, 08:26:42 AM »

Definitely not pipeweed. That was introduced by the Blessed Reuel. Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2013, 08:27:28 AM »

Dionysii is one of my favorite forumers.  From flat earth theory to condemnation of St. Seraphim of Sarov, I can always count on a good chuckle.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2013, 08:56:26 AM »

Dunhill's My Mixture 965. 
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2013, 08:57:29 AM »

I'm doing a little Seraphiming myself.  Enjoying a pipe.

Very good.  What has St. Seraphim inspired you to put in your bowl?

Definitely not pipeweed. That was introduced by the Blessed Reuel. Cheesy

Nope, no weed.  I'm not a luuz'r.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:03:10 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2013, 10:31:32 AM »

Dionysii is one of my favorite forumers.  From flat earth theory to condemnation of St. Seraphim of Sarov, I can always count on a good chuckle.
Flat Earth? When did that happen?

-St Silouan the athonite
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #104 on: August 27, 2013, 10:47:33 AM »

Although I was not churched when I was young, that matter was never a question for me.  I always believed in God, but I never thought about it much when I was younger.

My personal thoughts are that I came to disagree with what some people claim is scientific fact.
I was briefly in a protestant fundamentalist Church when I was searching for a genuine Church many years ago, and they gave me a bible commentary (by MacDonald as I recall), and I had an incident which led to a new view of the cosmos.

I expected that commentary to be a work of God, and as I began a study of Ecclesiastes, I read that his commentary became weak and limp wristed when speaking about a verse that would imply geocentrism if taken literally.  I became quite angry that the commentary which I placed so much faith in was so manifestly uncertain about science or any thing else in the bible.  I perceived that MacDonald doubted a part of the bible, and I considered his commentary worthless and threw it in the trash.

Although I had never even bothered to think about it before (and of course still consider it irrelevant to salvation), I took the position that what the bible said about those things was inerrant, and I became a geocentrist that night because that was consistent with the bible's teaching.  It would not matter to me if heliocentrism had been the way it was, but it was not the case.  Pretty every one (atheists and protestants alike) disagreed.  Because of the attitude of some people (particularly at Church), I was motivated to go to the extent of ignoring technology to make a realistic experiment and reasoned that my own eyes observed that the sun moved across the sky every day.  The sun is moving and not the earth.  I reckoned that if modern science is so allegedly true, then why does it need a crutch like technology or some textbook to brainwash people about it?

I looked far and wide for a geocentric organization of any kind and found nothing except for the flat earth society which I considered too extreme and good bit beyond what I was searching for, but which I ultimately contacted because I knew of nothing else. They sent me a flyer (this was in the mid-1990's) from which I discovered the existence of an english flat earth movement in the nineteenth century which was based on a book written in 1865 by a guy who had taken the time to tediously develop astute refutations to all objections to that astronomy. 

I got the book through interlibrary loan and photocopied it.  I was converted by the second chapter.

I remembered a reference to Cosmas Indicopleustes in Webster's Biographical Dictionary.  He was an Egyptian monk at Saint Catherine's monastery in Sinai who wrote a book defending the early Byzantine Christian view of the world (which turned out to be flat) against the pagan view which was globular.  His book had been translated into english in 1897, and I photocopied it at a local university library.

That aroused my interest in the Eastern Orthodox Church, and thus it did play a part in my conversion to the Orthodox Church.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #105 on: August 27, 2013, 10:55:04 AM »

Although I was not churched when I was young, that matter was never a question for me.  I always believed in God, but I never thought about it much when I was younger.

My personal thoughts are that I came to disagree with what some people claim is scientific fact.
I was briefly in a protestant fundamentalist Church when I was searching for a genuine Church many years ago, and they gave me a bible commentary (by MacDonald as I recall), and I had an incident which led to a new view of the cosmos.

I expected that commentary to be a work of God, and as I began a study of Ecclesiastes, I read that his commentary became weak and limp wristed when speaking about a verse that would imply geocentrism if taken literally.  I became quite angry that the commentary which I placed so much faith in was so manifestly uncertain about science or any thing else in the bible.  I perceived that MacDonald doubted a part of the bible, and I considered his commentary worthless and threw it in the trash.

Although I had never even bothered to think about it before (and of course still consider it irrelevant to salvation), I took the position that what the bible said about those things was inerrant, and I became a geocentrist that night because that was consistent with the bible's teaching.  It would not matter to me if heliocentrism had been the way it was, but it was not the case.  Pretty every one (atheists and protestants alike) disagreed.  Because of the attitude of some people (particularly at Church), I was motivated to go to the extent of ignoring technology to make a realistic experiment and reasoned that my own eyes observed that the sun moved across the sky every day.  The sun is moving and not the earth.  I reckoned that if modern science is so allegedly true, then why does it need a crutch like technology or some textbook to brainwash people about it?

I looked far and wide for a geocentric organization of any kind and found nothing except for the flat earth society which I considered too extreme and good bit beyond what I was searching for, but which I ultimately contacted because I knew of nothing else. They sent me a flyer (this was in the mid-1990's) from which I discovered the existence of an english flat earth movement in the nineteenth century which was based on a book written in 1865 by a guy who had taken the time to tediously develop astute refutations to all objections to that astronomy. 

I got the book through interlibrary loan and photocopied it.  I was converted by the second chapter.

I remembered a reference to Cosmas Indicopleustes in Webster's Biographical Dictionary.  He was an Egyptian monk at Saint Catherine's monastery in Sinai who wrote a book defending the early Byzantine Christian view of the world (which turned out to be flat) against the pagan view which was globular.  His book had been translated into english in 1897, and I photocopied it at a local university library.

That aroused my interest in the Eastern Orthodox Church, and thus it did play a part in my conversion to the Orthodox Church.
Oh... Well, thank you.

-St Silouan the athonite
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2013, 11:23:42 AM »

Thanks for your post; I was about to criticize him severely. Now, I see that the poor fellow needs our prayers.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:24:02 AM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »

Thanks for your post; I was about to criticize him severely. Now, I see that the poor fellow needs our prayers.

It appears that we both think the other's beliefs are greatly in error.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #108 on: August 27, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »

It appears that we both think the other's beliefs are greatly in error.

Do you live in Russia?
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2013, 02:25:19 PM »

So is the legend of the appearance of tobacco (created by Satan to tempt the faithful) considered true by Old Believers?  This is a serious question, since you cite this book.

Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2013, 02:39:24 PM »

Do you live in Russia?

No.  When I finished a tour with the US Navy in the submarine service a few years ago, I took six months of unemployment which I used to travel the world visiting Orthodox Christian churches and places of interest such as churches in Hong Kong and the hill of Mar Toma where Saint Thomas was martyred in India as well as many churches throughout Ethiopia and Egypt.  I finished the trip by spending a year in old calendar Greek monasteries (Matthewite). 

As the amount of my funding had it, I did not include Russia in my trip at that time (while I was still with the Nikonians).
Perhaps this was the providence of God.
I definitely plan to visit Russia.  My fiancee and I are considering getting married in Russia (in a Bela Krinits Church, of course).
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2013, 02:52:49 PM »

What on earth...?

By this, I mean the Nikonian church has gotten worse over time.  Sergius is a reference to Stalin's patriarch Sergius Stragorodsky whose oecumenism with western heretics and general lack of spirituality characterizes this group today more so than Patriarch Nikon of the seventeenth century. 

The Nikonians seem to be losing even that little bit which they had.   They are going in the wide way feared by this Orthodox Christian from Spain:

"Former catholic struggling to be an Orthodox in Spain.
The chair of St Peter is vacant and Western Romans are forsaken to their fate, without a Patriarch who watch over them, deprived of all. No hope remain for my land.

Our sins have destroyed all trace of our previous glory and no one even remembers the time when we still stood up to the enemies of the faith.There are no enough tears to wash out the blood of my brothers dead. And those who still walk in this world can’t see that they are trampling the bones and the blood of their own Fathers.

My land will never recover his Orthodox inheritance, the only orthodoxs in Western Romania are the brethren than come like immigrants. There is a Sin that never can be forgiven, that’s the sin of my people. I hope that the Eastern lands don’t stumble into the same stone than us. I really think that they are the only hope to the world."

http://yuri-rimsky.tumblr.com/post/58244043026/on-account-of-the-angels-why-i-cover-my-head-by
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2013, 02:53:19 PM »

Dionysii, are you an American convert?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »

Are you surprised? None of Old Believers here is Russian. I really doubt anyone can speak Russian.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »

Are you surprised? None of Old Believers here is Russian. I really doubt anyone can speak Russian.

This sounds racist and has been reported as such - blaming people for not being born into a given nationality.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:11:16 PM by Dionysii » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2013, 03:12:12 PM »

This sounds racist and has been reported as such - blaming people for not being born into a given nationality.

Oh no!  The R word strikes again. Roll Eyes

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2013, 03:16:46 PM »

What on earth...?

By this, I mean the Nikonian church has gotten worse over time.  Sergius is a reference to Stalin's patriarch Sergius Stragorodsky whose oecumenism with western heretics and general lack of spirituality characterizes this group today more so than Patriarch Nikon of the seventeenth century. 

The Nikonians seem to be losing even that little bit which they had.   They are going in the wide way feared by this Orthodox Christian from Spain:

"Former catholic struggling to be an Orthodox in Spain.
The chair of St Peter is vacant and Western Romans are forsaken to their fate, without a Patriarch who watch over them, deprived of all. No hope remain for my land.

Our sins have destroyed all trace of our previous glory and no one even remembers the time when we still stood up to the enemies of the faith.There are no enough tears to wash out the blood of my brothers dead. And those who still walk in this world can’t see that they are trampling the bones and the blood of their own Fathers.

My land will never recover his Orthodox inheritance, the only orthodoxs in Western Romania are the brethren than come like immigrants. There is a Sin that never can be forgiven, that’s the sin of my people. I hope that the Eastern lands don’t stumble into the same stone than us. I really think that they are the only hope to the world."

http://yuri-rimsky.tumblr.com/post/58244043026/on-account-of-the-angels-why-i-cover-my-head-by
Despite your many travels, I think you need to get around some more.

-St Silouan the athonite
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2013, 03:18:43 PM »

I'm not blaming you for anything. And actually, I do not think not being Russian is a bad thing (I even have a T-shirt saying "Thanks God, I'm not Russian"). Your point?
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2013, 03:19:55 PM »

Not that I always agree with Michal, but I don't think he's being racist here.  You have painted almost the entire Eastern Orthodox Church as "Nikonian" and "Sergianist" and basically *not the Orthodox Church*.  Unless I've missed something, the only real Orthodox according to you are the Old Believers, and that's an exclusively Russian phenomenon.  Theirs is a particular form of Russian Church and culture, while all the others you have dismissed as non-Orthodox have many cultures and traditions.  

It's not a jump to presume that joining such a group would entail to a great extent "becoming Russian", and it is not strange to marvel that non-Russians would be attracted to the faith and lifestyle, question why, etc.    

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »

There's no rule against submitting racist posts to this forum, as long as they don't violate any other rules.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »

Not that I always agree with Michal, but I don't think he's being racist here.  You have painted almost the entire Eastern Orthodox Church as "Nikonian" and "Sergianist" and basically *not the Orthodox Church*.  Unless I've missed something, the only real Orthodox according to you are the Old Believers
This much is accurate.  They're certainly not Avvakumites.
As to calling the followers of Nikon the Eastern Orthodox Church, I do not believe they are the Eastern Orthodox Church. 
The Bela Krinitsa are the Eastern Orthodox Church.   

the Old Believers, and that's an exclusively Russian phenomenon.
That is false.  Old Believer parishes have always existed in parts of the Ottoman Empire and Turkey.  Old Believer Bela Krinitsa parishes exist today in the United States and South American countries as well as western europe. 
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2013, 03:37:26 PM »

There's no rule against submitting racist posts to this forum, as long as they don't violate any other rules.
I appreciate your admitting that.  That says a mouthful.

Postscript:
If this is true, then I intend to broadcast it outside of this forum.  It says a lot about the nature of this forum.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 03:40:07 PM by Dionysii » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »

If that were true, they would not be completely dependent upon the "Nikonians" for their orders.

Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »

If that were true, they would not be completely dependent upon the "Nikonians" for their orders.

If you better understood apostolic succession, then you would not say that.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2013, 05:56:25 PM »

The issue of frequency of communion is another difference. 

Prior to the Kollyvades, it appears the Nikonians and Old Believers had the same practice. 
This is yet another area in which the change in the newer Nikonian practice conforms with trends in the Vatican's world: 

Pope Pius X's 1905 Decree on Frequency of Communion
http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDWFREQ.HTM
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »

Prior to the Kollyvades, it appears the Nikonians and Old Believers had the same practice. 
This is yet another area in which the change in the newer Nikonian practice conforms with trends in the Vatican's world:  

Pope Pius X's 1905 Decree on Frequency of Communion
http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDWFREQ.HTM

Er, I thought the Kollyvades came before Pope Pius X...  Huh

They preceded him by one century or so.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:17:13 PM by Romaios » Logged
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2013, 06:38:46 PM »

They did. 
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2013, 06:43:43 PM »

They did. 

So then it must have been the Latins that conformed to the trend set by the Kollyvades in this regard? I doubt it, but if so - good for them! 
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2013, 06:49:31 PM »

it must have been the Latins that conformed to the trend set by the Kollyvades in this regard? I doubt it

Doubt it not.  The Latins and the Nikonians have both made the Kollyvades teaching on frequency of communion their official doctrine. 

They are parts of the same church. 
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »

Postscript:
If this is true, then I intend to broadcast it outside of this forum.  It says a lot about the nature of this forum.
Go ahead and broadcast whatever you want about our forum. Maybe your efforts will draw more traffic here so people can actually see for themselves what this forum is about, rather than just take what you have to say about us at face value. Grin
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:01:29 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2013, 07:13:24 PM »

IIRC it's in the Cosmos thread. Scary stuff.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2013, 07:18:25 PM »

it must have been the Latins that conformed to the trend set by the Kollyvades in this regard? I doubt it

Doubt it not.  The Latins and the Nikonians have both made the Kollyvades teaching on frequency of communion their official doctrine. 

That is an absurd claim. You just might as well say that we are so, because we both believe in the intercession of the saints.

Your arguments are becoming weaker and weaker.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »

IIRC it's in the Cosmos thread. Scary stuff.

Yeah, TheTrisagion showed me.

-St Silouan the athonite
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »

Once again, there is no evidence St. Seraphim was a smoker. Why give credence to the false claims of schismatics and enemies of the Church?

Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #134 on: August 27, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »

That is an absurd claim.

It's true.  They go to church together and pray together - all the time. 
They have communed together for many decades, and everybody knows it and sees it.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #135 on: August 27, 2013, 07:31:25 PM »

They have communed together for many decades, and everybody knows it and sees it.

Prove it.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2013, 07:31:47 PM »

St. Ignatius of Antioch begs to differ.

Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »

Why give credence to the false claims of schismatics and enemies of the Church?
Oddly enough, I was wondering the same thing about you.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2013, 07:33:58 PM »

Doubt it not.  The Latins and the Nikonians have both made the Kollyvades teaching on frequency of communion their official doctrine.  

I'll probably get punished for saying this, but it's true:  Your argument is not intelligent enough to merit a rejoinder.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:50:53 PM by Dionysii » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2013, 07:37:31 PM »

That is an absurd claim.

It's true.  They go to church together and pray together - all the time. 

Two things:

Firstly, you made that statement in connection to your claims about  the Kollyvades movement. Stop entangling other topics into this thread.

Secondly, despite the idividual actions of some priests and bishops, none of the Canonical Orthodox Churches recognize the roman catholic church's sacraments, they are therefore, per definition, not the same church.

I know this thread has already moved far beyond your absurd claims about St. Seraphim, but could we please try and finish one discussion before starting another?

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #140 on: August 27, 2013, 07:39:37 PM »

I'll probably get punished for saying this, but it's true:  You're a moron.

What a delightfully intelligent argument.

-St Silouan the athonite
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2013, 07:41:13 PM »

I'll probably get punished for saying this, but it's true:  You're a moron.

Yeah, you'll get into trouble.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2013, 07:48:15 PM »

despite the idividual actions of some priests and bishops, none of the Canonical Orthodox Churches recognize the roman catholic church's sacraments, they are therefore, per definition, not the same church.

1) The actions of the Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Pope of Rome characterize the body which they lead.  

2) True enough that the canonical orthodox church does not recognize the sacraments of Frankish heretics.  However, the Patriarchate of Constantinople is not canonical, it's not orthodox, and it's not a church.  

To be precise, the Patriarchates of Constantinople and Moscow are heresies in communion with the pope in Rome.  
The photographs of these leaders in communion with each other since the Patr. Athenagoras and Pope Paul in the  1960's are available all over the internet.  

I have even heard of a source that asserted Patriarch Kyrill wears the robes of a western cardinal in his private Moscow office when not in public.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2013, 07:49:09 PM »

Doubt it not.  The Latins and the Nikonians have both made the Kollyvades teaching on frequency of communion their official doctrine.  

I'll probably get punished for saying this, but it's true:  You're a moron.

What a delightfully intelligent argument.

If only it had been preceded by one.  I will only stoop so low.

EDIT:
Reasonable enough.  I modified it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:51:37 PM by Dionysii » Logged
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »

I have even heard of a source that asserted Patriarch Kyrill wears the robes of a western cardinal in his private Moscow office when not in public.

Proof, or it didn't happen.  Angry
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2013, 07:55:03 PM »

despite the idividual actions of some priests and bishops, none of the Canonical Orthodox Churches recognize the roman catholic church's sacraments, they are therefore, per definition, not the same church.

1) The actions of the Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Pope of Rome characterize the body which they lead.  

2) True enough that the canonical orthodox church does not recognize the sacraments of Frankish heretics.  However, the Patriarchate of Constantinople is not canonical, it's not orthodox, and it's not a church.  

To be precise, the Patriarchates of Constantinople and Moscow are heresies in communion with the pope in Rome.  
The photographs of these leaders in communion with each other since the Patr. Athenagoras and Pope Paul in the  1960's are available all over the internet.  

Again, you are ignoring reality. You admit that we do not share communion and then goes on telling how we are in communion with each other. Do you even know what that word means?
And I would be very happy if you could share with us the "source" about Patriarch Kyrill.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:55:40 PM by Ansgar » Logged

-St Silouan the athonite
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2013, 07:59:42 PM »

If a person died in an accidental fire, such as a boiler exploded or they were the victim of arson, would we say about them, this means he or she can't become a saint? What is so special about dying in a fire?

Since I doubt St. Seraphim deliberately burned himself to death, didn't he essentially die in an unfortunate accident (if that anecdote about him dropping his pipe or something is true)? I mean, I'm sure even hearty tobacco pipe-users don't want to die in fires.

Just a thought.  Huh

spcasuncoast.org
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »

Proof, or it didn't happen.  Angry
Okay.  I will ask the person who told me that and get back to you.  

In the meantime, it would do you westerners some good to watch 'Mr Smith Goes to Washington'.  
http://vimeo.com/49156759

Although I retract my statement calling Shangaied a "moron", my point was something needs to get you blockheads thinking and questioning the status quo. The fact that you accept these churches the way they are is disturbing to me.  

"You mean you can tell these senators what to do?" - Jimmy Stewart
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:02:13 PM by Dionysii » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2013, 08:05:06 PM »

Proof, or it didn't happen.  Angry
Okay.  I will ask the person who told me that and get back to you.  

In the meantime, it would do you westerners some good to watch 'Mr Smith Goes to Washington'.  
http://vimeo.com/49156759

Although I retract my statement calling Shangaied a "moron", my point was something needs to get you blockheads thinking and questioning the status quo. The fact that you accept these churches the way they are is disturbing to me.  

You take back calling a person a moron and then proceed to call us blockheads?

-St Silouan the athonite
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2013, 08:09:22 PM »

That's right.  Furthermore, I think you've got all your energy in the wrong places.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »

I'll probably get punished for saying this, but it's true:  Your argument is not intelligent enough to merit a rejoinder.

"Gather together more frequently to celebrate the Lord's Eucharist and to praise Him," wrote St. Ignatius of Antioch.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2013, 08:12:13 PM »

I mean, I'm sure even hearty tobacco pipe-users don't want to die in fires.

Remember that scene in Ostrov when he started smoking the entire place out? Hmm...   (just kidding)

Perhaps he saw my pic in the other thread and was simply giving an accurate description?  Cool
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2013, 08:13:25 PM »

That's right.  Furthermore, I think you've got all your energy in the wrong places.

Care to expand?

-St Silouan the athonite
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »

I just got a pm and was about to open it thinking "well, it was nice being here while it lasted..."
It turned out to be a kind message from my friend Gebre replying to my message sympathizing with him for the way he's been treated on the forum.  Smiley

I mean, I'm sure even hearty tobacco pipe-users don't want to die in fires.

Remember that scene in Ostrov when he started smoking the entire place out? Hmm...   (just kidding)

lol.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:17 PM »

If you better understood apostolic succession, then you would not say that.

At what point in the Church's history has she been completely dependent on heretics to maintain apostolic succession?

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »

On one occasion some heretics came to Abba Poimen and began to slander the Archbishop of Alexandria, saying that he had received his ordination from priests. The Elder was silent, then he called his disciple and told him: ”Set the table, give them to eat and dismiss them in peace”.

Moral: Is it a layman's business to superintend his bishop or the other way around?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:42:08 PM by Romaios » Logged
Keble
Archon

« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »

I definitely plan to visit Russia. My fiancee and I are considering getting married in Russia (in a Bela Krinits Church, of course).

How's that divorce coming?

Don't know what I'm talking about? Weren't you still married, back in March?

Since my wife is a poor Honduran that cooks with wood in a mountain village, does not speak english, and worked as a cleaning lady for the equivalent of US$40 a month before we met[....]

If you're going to troll us, you should take some pains to get your story straight.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:35:04 PM by Keble » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2013, 08:35:13 PM »

All I know is, the longer I hang out around here the more confused I get.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »

Weren't you still married, back in March?
Since my wife is a poor Honduran that cooks with wood in a mountain village, does not speak english, and worked as a cleaning lady for the equivalent of US$40 a month before we met[....]

We are married in the secular government, but we have not yet been married in Church. 
That is why I say my fiancee. 
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Keble
Archon

« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »

Weren't you still married, back in March?

We are married in the secular government, but we have not yet been married in Church.  

I remain dubious.

Also, if you are going to send a message to someone calling them a "n-gg-r", I would advise you to either (a) learn what the word actually means, or (b) get at least a photo of the person in question.

Anyway, I'm done here.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:20:56 PM by Keble » Logged
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2013, 09:29:58 PM »

I would advise you to get at least a photo of the person in question.
Permission granted to post a photo of yourself.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »

Anyway, I'm done here.
Good riddance.  Don't come back because you are uncivilized and degenerate.

People who seek to lead normal, holy lives like us are not interest in the comments of old perverts like yourself.
You ignorant comments reflect your own degenerate mindset.

At what point in the Church's history has she been completely dependent on heretics to maintain apostolic succession?

Heretics of the second rank - an important distinction.  All the bishops were annihilated in the late 1600's. 
The hierarchy was renewed circa 1846 with Saint Ambrose of Bosnia.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »

Anyway, I'm done here.
Good riddance.  Don't come back because you are uncivilized and degenerate.

People who seek to lead normal, holy lives like us are not interest in the comments of old perverts like yourself.

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that Dionysii is just a parody version created by someone on the forum.  Now I just need to figure out who it is.  There is no way someone seriously writes this stuff and actually believes it.

Orthonorm, is that you?  Clever job, my man.  Well done. I take back all the bad things I said about you.

Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »

Anyway, I'm done here.
Good riddance.  Don't come back because you are uncivilized and degenerate.

Ok, I've come to the conclusion that Dionysii is just a parody version created by someone on the forum.  Now I just need to figure out who it is.  There is no way someone seriously writes this stuff and actually believes it.

Orthonorm, is that you?  Clever job, my man.  Well done. I take back all the bad things I said about you.

Considering the nature of the slew of nasty messages I have recently sent his way, I doubt Keble concurs with your conclusion.
 You are hereby banned for sending nasty and threatening PMs and for trolling the forum.  Good bye and good riddance!

+ Fr. George
Forum Administrator
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:56:11 PM by Dionysii » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »

Postscript:
If this is true, then I intend to broadcast it outside of this forum.  It says a lot about the nature of this forum.

Also, if you are going to send a message to someone calling them a "n-gg-r", I would advise you to either (a) learn what the word actually means, or (b) get at least a photo of the person in question.

Well that's interesting...  angel
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2013, 10:03:10 PM »

Thus endeth the forum life of one of the more peculiar members at oc.net.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #167 on: August 27, 2013, 11:14:38 PM »

Thus endeth the forum life of one of the more peculiar members at oc.net.

... and not before time, too.  Tongue
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2013, 06:05:06 AM »

And we'll never find out what caused the meltdown. Tongue

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2013, 06:06:57 AM »

And we'll never find out what caused the meltdown. Tongue

Indeed. Schade, schade.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:07:11 AM by LBK » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2013, 06:41:14 AM »

Once again, there is no evidence St. Seraphim was a smoker. Why give credence to the false claims of schismatics and enemies of the Church?
Oh Pa, I was jus funnin.

Even a serious dude like me can have some fun.  But I really did smoke my pipe.  Doing it right now too.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2013, 06:55:58 AM »

Just being facetious.  I do enjoy a good tobacco once in a while.  I think this thread has given enough credence to this guy as it is.

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2013, 05:29:22 AM »

Smiley Have been asked many a time, "Smoke?", to which on my more liverish days I respond, "No, but I steam real good".
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »

Smiley Have been asked many a time, "Smoke?", to which on my more liverish days I respond, "No, but I steam real good".
I'm enjoying a pipe again right now.  I've had some vacation days so I actually have the time to smoke my pipe, but have to go back to work next week.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »

I'm enjoying a pipe again right now.  I've had some vacation days so I actually have the time to smoke my pipe, but have to go back to work next week.

If your pipe smoking has led you to study dead languages like other great pipe smokers, then at least it's done something productive.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2013, 01:26:01 PM »

I definitely plan to visit Russia. My fiancee and I are considering getting married in Russia (in a Bela Krinits Church, of course).

How's that divorce coming?

Don't know what I'm talking about? Weren't you still married, back in March?

If you're going to troll us, you should take some pains to get your story straight.

PWNED

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #176 on: September 05, 2013, 12:56:12 AM »

ETERNAL MEMORY

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
ilyazhito
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »

What bones do you guys have to pick with St. Seraphim of Sarov? He is one of the greatest saints of Russia, and a good example of a modern monastic (Modern in an Orthodox sense). The guy said "Cultivate the spirit of peace and thousands about thee shall be saved.@
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2013, 06:00:03 PM »

What bones do you guys have to pick with St. Seraphim of Sarov? He is one of the greatest saints of Russia, and a good example of a modern monastic (Modern in an Orthodox sense). The guy Saint said "Cultivate the spirit of peace and thousands about thee shall be saved.@

Exactly.

BTW, I fixed it for you.

p.s. I edited the title too.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 06:03:02 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2013, 07:55:02 PM »

You didn't need to. There's no forum requirement that an Old Believer must recognize a monk of the 'Nikonian' church as a saint, especially when doing so would destroy his criticism of the monk.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:02:45 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »

By the way, there are yedinovertsy even in ROCOR who commemorate New-Rite bishops but follow the Old Rite. I respect those who can do so, because they serve exactly according to the Typikon, and the Typikon's services are difficult to do. I taught myself to cross with two fingers as well as three, and now I am trying to incorporate the "seven bow beginning" to be more consistent.The differences between us and the Old Believers are ones of ritual, so the Edinovertsy are a good start, and it was a positive development that ROCOR has a bishop who uses the Old Rite and was consecrated according to the  Old Rite. Maybe more bishops like that will be ordained in the future.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »

Translation please.

And this story has been spread among the raskolniki until this day. (cf. Mt. 28:15)

It has come to our attention that you used schismatic in a different language, "raskolniki":

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25531.msg965739.html#msg965739

It seems to me Dionysii comes from the Old Calendar tradition, which though in schism, it's against the rules to call "schismatic".  Please try to avoid direct judgments, and rather use non-inflammatory language when referring to a group not united to your Church.

God bless you.

Mina

August 27, 2013

Not debating the moderator's decision when it comes to portraying Old Calendarists. But wasn't it true that at that time in Russian history those who Romaios was talking about who crossed differently were in schism from the Church?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:01:16 PM by rakovsky » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2013, 03:57:20 PM »

As a matter of fact, Monk Seraphim of Sarov was such a habitual smoker that he died from the smoke of his pipe.  His disciple lied about this and his devotees perpetuate this lie, but all those who knew the Nikonian Monk Seraphim of Sarov personally knew that he was an adamant pipe smoker.

Translation please.

It seems to me Dionysii comes from the Old Calendar tradition, which though in schism, it's against the rules to call "schismatic".  Please try to avoid direct judgments, and rather use non-inflammatory language when referring to a group not united to your Church.

God bless you.

Mina

August 27, 2013

Not debating the moderator's decision when it comes to portraying Old Calendarists. But wasn't it true that at that time in Russian history those who Romaios was talking about who crossed differently were in schism from the Church?

Does it require to call others names?
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »

I think that the proper term for such as Dionysii would be Old Believer or Old Ritualist. The Old Calendarists are a different beast, having separated from the Orthodox Church over ecumenism. I hear about Canon 15 that authorizes separation from heretical bishops, but I don't remember which council it belongs to. The Old Ritualist schism happened because Nikon was acting in an ill-advised and excessively forceful way to suppress the Old Rite. Fortunately, more recent Russian bishops have realized the mistakes that their predecessors have made. Hopefully there will be true union between those of the Old and New Rite. At least there are no theological differences between Old and New Rites.
Dionisio
Moderated

« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »

I think that the proper term for such as Dionysii would be Old Believer or Old Ritualist. The Old Calendarists are a different beast, having separated from the Orthodox Church over ecumenism.
This is true.  It might be noted that the rituals of both Greek New and Old Calendarists equally come from the uniates.  
On the surface, oecumenism was not involved in the Nikonian schism.  However, this pro-union essay clearly shows the hand of the papacy acting through Antioch in the modification of seventeenth century Russian liturgies and the papacy's maneuvers in favor of Nikon.  

Conception of Union in Antioch (1622-1722)
http://phoenicia.org/orthodox_antioch_union.html

At least there are no theological differences between Old and New Rites.
The truth is that seventeenth century Nikonians are a different beast from its descendent the Moscow Patriarchate of today which is more accurately termed Sergianist.  The view that no theological differences exist between Nikonians and the Old Rite does have a degree of truth with regard to the ancient Nikonians which is why the Old Rite distinguished them as second order heretics as opposed to full heretics which means that they could canonically use them to renew their hierarchy.  The early nineteenth century Patriarchate of Constantinople was not oecumenist at the time of Saint Ambrose of Bosnia.  The fact that this Ottoman Greek bishop he is at the fountainhead of the entire Bela Krinitsa hierarchy gives the lie to claims of anti-Old Rite propaganda that the Old Rite is allegedly an ethnic Russian thing.  Anyone who reckons oecumenism is not a concern which the Old Rite views as a heresy has a shock coming.

You didn't need to. There's no forum requirement that an Old Believer must recognize a monk of the 'Nikonian' church as a saint, especially when doing so would destroy his criticism of the monk.
Appreciate that.

You are now on indefinite post moderation on the very strong suspicion that you are the banned poster Dionysii. We do not permit a user to open multiple accounts on this forum, especially when the intent is to open a second account because your first account is banned. If you have any questions about this rule or this warning, please send me a private message.

- PeterTheAleut
 You are banned for creating a duplicate account.

+ Fr. George
Forum Administrator
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 12:39:12 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

An unjust law is no law at all.
Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: The Old Belief, as it were
Jurisdiction: Betwixt a "Rock" and familiarity

IN THIS, CONQUER!

« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2013, 10:08:06 PM »

It seems like such an absurd thing to me, that the Church of Christ should have to depend on heretics to revive its hierarchy.

It seems equally absurd to me that it should have lost it at all.

Quote from: The Excess of Blessed Constantine's Pious Concern
For while the people of God, whose fellow servant I am, are thus divided amongst themselves by an unreasonable and pernicious spirit of contention, how is it possible that I shall be able to maintain tranquility of mind?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #186 on: October 05, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »

It seems like such an absurd thing to me, that the Church of Christ should have to depend on heretics to revive its hierarchy.

It seems equally absurd to me that it should have lost it at all.

Don't worry, neither of those things actually happened.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: