OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 12:54:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Against Serafim of Sarov  (Read 4989 times) Average Rating: 0
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

Faith: Old Rite Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Metr. Kornilii of Russia

« on: August 24, 2013, 01:31:24 PM »

Smoking tobacco and alcoholism were the normality for clergy in Romanov Russia, and this included the Monk Seraphim of Sarov whom the Nikonians believe to be a saint.  As a matter of fact, Monk Seraphim of Sarov was such a habitual smoker that he died from the smoke of his pipe.  His disciple lied about this and his devotees perpetuate this lie, but all those who knew the Nikonian Monk Seraphim of Sarov personally knew that he was an adamant pipe smoker. 

This fact is attested to in English language in the book 'The Human Tradition in Modern Russia' edited by William Husband:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ihn4GI1lmnsC&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=seraphim+sarov,+human+tradition+in+modern+russia&source=bl&ots=WAWI3KfSTq&sig=L-q2ujcvdUFpy-3itZvLtaV7XT8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=d-8YUooyqqrbBcXMgYgP&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=seraphim%20sarov%2C%20human%20tradition%20in%20modern%20russia&f=false
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:34:33 PM »

Why is tobacco use such a significant problem?

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 01:40:06 PM »

What's the point of this thread?

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 01:42:51 PM »

Smoking tobacco and alcoholism were the normality for clergy in Romanov Russia, and this included the Monk Seraphim of Sarov whom the Nikonians believe to be a saint.  As a matter of fact, Monk Seraphim of Sarov was such a habitual smoker that he died from the smoke of his pipe.  His disciple lied about this and his devotees perpetuate this lie, but all those who knew the Nikonian Monk Seraphim of Sarov personally knew that he was an adamant pipe smoker. 

This fact is attested to in English language in the book 'The Human Tradition in Modern Russia' edited by William Husband:
http://books.google.com/books?id=ihn4GI1lmnsC&pg=PA27&lpg=PA27&dq=seraphim+sarov,+human+tradition+in+modern+russia&source=bl&ots=WAWI3KfSTq&sig=L-q2ujcvdUFpy-3itZvLtaV7XT8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=d-8YUooyqqrbBcXMgYgP&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=seraphim%20sarov%2C%20human%20tradition%20in%20modern%20russia&f=false
crypto-Mormon.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »

Really! If anything this gives me MORE hope in the loving kindness of God not less...
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 01:54:41 PM »

Maybe I just didn't look closely enough, but where are the source references? I didn't any references to historical documents, chronicles, personal letters or anything. Source Criticism is the first thing you learn when studying history.

Again, maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find anything.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »

There is no proof St. Seraphim of Sarov was a smoker. Obviously, many raskol'niki had a beef with him because when they visited him, he would put their fingers together (in three) and say, "May the Cross this way."

Now, St. Nikolai Velimirovic was a smoker.

It is amazing these people look for additional condemnation.

Please refer to this message to Romaios:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,53277.msg977614.html#msg977614

God bless you.

Mina

August 27, 2013
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:51:24 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »

I used to smoke. I won't make any excuses. However, I did quit.

Smoking may be a sin, as perhaps an abuse of the body which is the temple of God, but we all sin in something. I believe that God forgives. It is possible that St. Seraphim repented before he died. Therefore, I do not see that a smoking problem would be enough to completely deny him sainthood. Just my thoughts.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »

Maybe I just didn't look closely enough, but where are the source references? I didn't any references to historical documents, chronicles, personal letters or anything. Source Criticism is the first thing you learn when studying history.

The implication of the OP was that the true sources had been suppressed and that only the raskol'niki had the true, secret knowledge. That sort of fits with the gnosticism many of them adopted.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 02:21:24 PM »

I was unaware of that.  Appreciate the information.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »

I used to smoke. I won't make any excuses. However, I did quit.

Bravo.

It is possible that St. Seraphim repented before he died.
That is controverted by the facts.  At least as far as smoking goes, you have done better than he did.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 02:49:50 PM »

Which universally recognized authority condemns tobacco use?  Huh

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Nathanael

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 03:21:54 PM »

Yessss, Old Believers knew best how St. Seraphim Sarov lifestyle was, because especially Old Believers had lived so close with him.
Source criticism!!! Only Old Beleivers sources.. - is not very convincing. It's like Old Calendarist talking about Elder Porphyrios and Elder Paisios - boring.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:22:14 PM by Nathanael » Logged

"Orthodoxy is the very nature of man" - Father Rafail Noica
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 07:03:45 PM »

I hope this isn't going to be like the marijuana thread...

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »

I hope this isn't going to be like the marijuana thread...

Need to smoke. Having a cig. Now.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 07:15:57 PM »

Sources?  You don't need no stinkin' sources when you hold the true faith!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »

Pages 30-31 are not included in the Google Books preview. Judging by the first essay in the book those pages would be where the source materials used would be listed.  Since this looks like a volume with good scholarly standards, I would be very surprised if there wasn't something on those pages in the book proper.  How available the book is so that one might check is the question. 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »

It is possible that St. Seraphim repented before he died.
That is controverted by the facts.  At least as far as smoking goes, you have done better than he did.

The account in the book is not "facts".  It is "A Legend on the Appearance of Tobacco" from the Old Believers.  That they apparently made statements against St. Serafim of Sarov (as well as others) does not make them facts and certainly not without some corroborating sources. 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 09:31:32 PM »

He died from the smoke of his pipe?  How so?
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 09:39:08 PM »

The Old Believer "legend" that the essay is about says that he "suffocated from a smoldering fire lit when he dropped his pipe onto a heap of rags" (page 27). 

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 09:49:40 PM »

The Old Believer "legend" that the essay is about says that he "suffocated from a smoldering fire lit when he dropped his pipe onto a heap of rags" (page 27). 
Ah.  Thanks for explaining.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 10:36:38 PM »

If your purpose is to ruin the good name and works of St. Seraphim of Sarov, it hasn't worked.  What is your next beef with the MP ?
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »

Me thinks you may have picked the wrong forum to vent your dislike of St. Seraphim..
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 10:51:50 PM »

I was not aware that all saints were required to have the same level of sinlessness as the Theotokos before they could be canonized.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
lovesupreme
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 12:01:32 AM »

I was not aware that all saints were required to have the same level of sinlessness as the Theotokos before they could be canonized.

As long as you don't inhale, you're good.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 12:34:20 AM »

That's the. My reason to like him.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 12:40:51 AM »

Me thinks you may have picked the wrong forum to vent your dislike of St. Seraphim..
It wasn't Asteriktos who posted the attempt to slander St. Seraphim.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 01:05:47 AM »

Dionysii, you are usually good about thinking outside of the box. Are you capable of doing so here?
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 01:19:21 AM »

Not this crock again. Sheesh.  Tongue Tongue Roll Eyes
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2013, 01:20:34 AM »

As a matter of fact, Monk Seraphim of Sarov was such a habitual smoker that he died from the smoke of his pipe.  His disciple lied about this and his devotees perpetuate this lie, but all those who knew the Nikonian Monk Seraphim of Sarov personally knew that he was an adamant pipe smoker. 

I promchesya slovo sie vo raskolnikah dazhe do sego dne...
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2013, 03:06:16 AM »

As a matter of fact, Monk Seraphim of Sarov was such a habitual smoker that he died from the smoke of his pipe.  His disciple lied about this and his devotees perpetuate this lie, but all those who knew the Nikonian Monk Seraphim of Sarov personally knew that he was an adamant pipe smoker.

Translation please.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:07:16 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2013, 04:43:30 AM »

Pages 30-31 are not included in the Google Books preview. Judging by the first essay in the book those pages would be where the source materials used would be listed.  Since this looks like a volume with good scholarly standards, I would be very surprised if there wasn't something on those pages in the book proper.  How available the book is so that one might check is the question. 

Ah, thank you.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
converted viking

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 07:32:02 AM »

Oh pleaseeeeee give me a break.  What a load of rubbish !   Where is my pipe?  I am going to stuff that sucker and torch it off.   

Viking<Seraphim>
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »

As a matter of fact, Monk Seraphim of Sarov was such a habitual smoker that he died from the smoke of his pipe.  His disciple lied about this and his devotees perpetuate this lie, but all those who knew the Nikonian Monk Seraphim of Sarov personally knew that he was an adamant pipe smoker.

Translation please.

And this story has been spread among the raskolniki until this day. (cf. Mt. 28:15)

It has come to our attention that you used schismatic in a different language, "raskolniki":

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,53277.msg977614.html#msg977614

Please refer to my previous warning I gave to Dionysii:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25531.msg965739.html#msg965739

It seems to me Dionysii comes from the Old Calendar tradition, which though in schism, it's against the rules to call "schismatic".  Please try to avoid direct judgments, and rather use non-inflammatory language when referring to a group not united to your Church.

God bless you.

Mina

August 27, 2013
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:42:16 PM by minasoliman » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »

Ah.  Thanks for explaining.

You're welcome.   Smiley

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 09:49:10 AM »

Ah, thank you.

I'm glad to be of service.   Smiley

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2013, 10:19:41 AM »

No good sources.

Btw, what if he did smoke? You realize that the world did not know that smoking was harmful for your health until the time of World War II? The Germans were the first to realize it, with Adolf Hitler giving up tobacco, and then the rest of the world discovered it around the close of the war.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2013, 12:43:47 PM »

I was unaware of that.  Appreciate the information.
Apparently it is misinformation about St. Nikolaj
Type in youtube "Vladika Nikolaj nije pusio duvan" or go to http://tinyurl.com/kp83dob

Regaradless if Sts Serafim or Nikolaj or someone else smoked it does not question their sainthood...that is the purpose of this thread, right? I do not know of any Saints who were perfect...but they became perfect through God.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2013, 12:52:59 PM »

No good sources.

Btw, what if he did smoke? You realize that the world did not know that smoking was harmful for your health until the time of World War II? The Germans were the first to realize it, with Adolf Hitler giving up tobacco, and then the rest of the world discovered it around the close of the war.

We have known that tobacco was bad for you for hundreds of years...

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2013, 12:57:18 PM »

I am not sure about eveidence for or against St. Nikolai smoking, but it is definitely hard to find a Serb who doesnt smoke. It is just a very universal practice in Serbia, including priests and monks.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »

I am not sure about eveidence for or against St. Nikolai smoking, but it is definitely hard to find a Serb who doesnt smoke. It is just a very universal practice in Serbia, including priests and monks.

Monks!!!   Shocked

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »

^St. Ignatius Brianchaninov, in probably the most famous EO book on monasticism in contemporary times, basically excused tobacco use, saying that if you couldn't give it up that you should at least use it in private so as not to tempt others.

Does this not show the depths of depravity that the EO have fallen to since the pure Old believers left?  Cool

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »

Only one is perfect, The God Man. Saints being human have their flaws. Saint Seraphim's flaws are unknown to me and many, I suspect. His Herculean struggle is known as is his Christian love for those who approached him.

Other than any betrayal of Orthodoxy the only flaws that really concern me are my own.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »

No good sources.

We have known that tobacco was bad for you for hundreds of years...

Actually, he didn't totally miss the mark. In the first half of the 20th century, you could still find doctors who would prescripe tobacco as medicin.

-St Silouan the athonite
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »

Maybe I just didn't look closely enough, but where are the source references?
Further sources are mentioned in the accounts preserved by Old Believers. 
It is prejudiced to dismiss these accounts without reading or knowing what they have to say.  They may very well preserve information from the past exactly as it occurred.  The Old Believers have a reputation for that.

What's the point of this thread?
The point is to make known an historical tradition about Monk Seraphim of Sarov which is very different from the positive Nikonian portrayal.  The Russian language has both representations, but the English language is disproportionately represented by the Nikonian only.   
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: