Is poverty a virtue?

Yes
4 (36.4%)
No
6 (54.5%)
I don't know.
1 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Is Poverty a Virtue? (This forum needs moar polls)  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
Is Poverty a Virtue? (This forum needs moar polls)
« on: September 20, 2013, 02:21:26 AM »
Discuss if you like.
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Re: Is Poverty a Virtue? (This forum needs moar polls)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 02:32:59 AM »
I would say... being poor and yet able to be content and go about your life in a healthy manner is a good thing. Simplicity of life, non-acquisitiveness, etc. are also good things. In these cases poverty might be a situation in which many people flourish. I don't think it's a virtue, though, in the same way that humility or courage are. Poverty is more like one possible tool for cultivating virtue, but not exactly a virtue itself. The same thing goes for wealth: it can be used a tool, but is not itself a virtue, and does not provide evidence that you are virtuous. Both can lead astray as well: poverty to bitterness or anger or envy, wealth to greed or stinginess.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 02:33:30 AM »
Poverty is a financial situation. How you handle it can be a virtue, or not. ::)

(Yeah, not much here. Me talk pretty one day.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:34:55 AM by Arachne »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 03:08:48 AM »
Thank you for your responses!

as to my opinion, I am still thinking about it

perhaps I should reread a few holy fathers and see their opinion "On Wealth and Poverty" its been a few years

maybe I can type out blocks of text from it to give some more commentary

Offline ironchapman

• A bull of truth in a china shop of falsehoods.
  • High Elder
  • I see you.
  • Faith: Serious inquirer.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:02:40 AM »
Poverty is not a virtue, neither is wealth.

This is a good post on the subject. http://palamas.info/greed-is-wrong-but-what-about-wealth-itself/
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 04:10:04 AM »
Poverty is never dishonourable in itself, but only when it is a mark of sloth, intemperance, extravagance, or thoughtlessness. When, on the other hand, it is the handmaid of a sober, industrious, righteous, and brave man, who devotes all his powers to the service of the people, it is the sign of a lofty spirit that harbours no mean thoughts.

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 04:17:05 AM »
Poverty is never dishonourable in itself, but only when it is a mark of sloth, intemperance, extravagance, or thoughtlessness. When, on the other hand, it is the handmaid of a sober, industrious, righteous, and brave man, who devotes all his powers to the service of the people, it is the sign of a lofty spirit that harbours no mean thoughts.

hmm

maybe I don't even need to read any more holy fathers, we might have one here  ;)  ;D

all this talk reminds me of dobry dobrev

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 08:46:41 AM »
Amid the inanity of oc.net, there come on occasion very good and insightful posts. This thread has several.  Well done all.
God bless!

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 02:56:03 PM »
Depends

Does the person in question choose poverty? If so, then I suppose it is, by Christian morality.

Is a person living in poverty for circumstances outside of their control? No. It is only a virtue if they practice contentment and virtue. Many people living in poverty are--believe it or not--not so nice. We have this habit of "balancing" the world in our mind, for example, saying that the impoverished are virtuous and the wealthy are vile and wicked, but that is not always the case in reality.

Personally, this whole thing don't make sense to me when you really look at it.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 03:08:57 PM »
I'm with James. It's all based on whether you choose poverty or whether you haven't.

It also depends on what "choosing" poverty means, is it because you are lazy (like Cyrillic said) or whether you want free govt. benefits, or whether you choose it as a way of life for yourself like Christians do. Or maybe you choose it by gambling and buying drugs, like I have personally experienced.

If you haven't chosen poverty, it depends on how the person reacts to their impoverished state. Are they trying to horde and steal as much as they can to get wealthy? Or do they accept the position they are in and move on from it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:10:05 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:39:14 PM »
Poverty is a financial situation. How you handle it can be a virtue, or not. ::)

Our wise matriarch speaks truth yet again.

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »
I'm with James. It's all based on whether you choose poverty or whether you haven't.

It also depends on what "choosing" poverty means, is it because you are lazy (like Cyrillic said) or whether you want free govt. benefits, or whether you choose it as a way of life for yourself like Christians do. Or maybe you choose it by gambling and buying drugs, like I have personally experienced.

If you haven't chosen poverty, it depends on how the person reacts to their impoverished state. Are they trying to horde and steal as much as they can to get wealthy? Or do they accept the position they are in and move on from it.

Some people are poor, they neither choose that state (for "government benefits" - I suppose some thank God they are not that THAT person in their prayers), nor can they in ACTUALITY (as opposed to in theory) avoid their impoverished state. Neither by itself is virtuous or sinful. It depends.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 11:53:46 AM »
This is pretty disgusting thread. Really, does anyone around here have a heart anymore?

Poverty is sin. Those who aren't and who are Christians and allow those to remain in poverty are sinners.

Jesus says these are the people who are going to hell. It is one the more clear teachings of Gospel.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:54:05 AM by orthonorm »

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 12:06:18 PM »
Poverty is very much relative. Unless everyone has exactly as much money as the rest there'll always be those who are considered poor.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 12:07:39 PM »
Poverty is very much relative. Unless everyone has exactly as much money as the rest there'll always be those who are considered poor.

And thus people will always be going to hell. That's the point.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 12:14:21 PM »
hell will be, I'm sure, like a huge white suburb/gated community perhaps. like winnetka, say.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »
This is pretty disgusting thread. Really, does anyone around here have a heart anymore?

Poverty is sin. Those who aren't and who are Christians and allow those to remain in poverty are sinners.

Jesus says these are the people who are going to hell. It is one the more clear teachings of Gospel.

I agree as my point was not clear. Status doesn't determine salvation, it is how we live the Gospel which does.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 12:19:43 PM »
but living the gospel is inextricably linked to one's status. that.s why the young rich man was told to give away all he had etc
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Rufus

• OC.net guru
  • Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 01:10:36 PM »
Anytime you want, you could take a walk downtown and actually get to know the people you are talking about.

Most middle-class people are willing to perform idiotically trivial acts in the "service" of the "less fortunate," but will quickly become hysterical if pushed beyond that.

I've met a handful of people who were willing to do more.

Then again, one of those people ended up lying on the ground getting throttled by a homeless man, but hey, it comes with the territory.

Offline Rufus

• OC.net guru
  • Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »
but living the gospel is inextricably linked to one's status. that.s why the young rich man was told to give away all he had etc

Even if other people can't take it, I always enjoy reading your remarx.

--------------------------------------------------------------^^

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 06:29:10 AM »

Even if other people can't take it, I always enjoy reading your remarx.

--------------------------------------------------------------^^
LOL!
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan