OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:30:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Study Bible  (Read 735 times) Average Rating: 0
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« on: August 23, 2013, 09:15:22 PM »

Any of you guys use one? If so, which one?

It makes me feel like I've been living under a rock to not know study Bibles exist until recently.

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »

Thompson Chain Reference KJV  angel

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:06:26 PM »

The Orthodox Study Bible. Some people here don't like it, but I think it does an adequate job of weaving Patristric teachings with Scripture. But what do I know?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:06:47 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:44:11 AM »

I own a few study Bibles, but I don't use them regularly.  I used to use the Oxford Annotated Bible (RSV) as my primary Bible, but I found the footnotes distracted my "spiritual reading".  So I only use study Bibles for actually studying a passage.  I typically use:

Oxford Annotated Bible, RSV
NASB Study Bible (Zondervan)
Jewish Study Bible (JPS Tanakh)

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »

I'll second the OSB, but if you want a more economical version to start with, the Common Bible (RSV) does a good job, as well as having all the books.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »

I'll second the OSB, but if you want a more economical version to start with, the Common Bible (RSV) does a good job, as well as having all the books.
Do you have a web site for purchasing this?  A couple years ago, I tried finding the regular RSV, as opposed to the NRSV, and had trouble finding it.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »

For explanations of scripture, I think it's much better, though not necessarily more economical, to get commentaries from the saints on the various books. Some of these are available online. A good resource is this thread.

The OSB isn't terrible, but it is often superficial and frustratingly selective in which passages it comments on- many of the more difficult passages are ignored, while really obvious ones are needlessly summarized. Also, it's not always clear where a given interpretation comes from the Fathers or from the editors' personal opinions.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:50:07 AM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 10:51:47 AM »

Do you have a web site for purchasing this?  A couple years ago, I tried finding the regular RSV, as opposed to the NRSV, and had trouble finding it.

I've been looking for it as well (my husband's copy dates from his school days, and is quite well worn), and I've only been able to find a few used copies through Amazon. Not particularly popular, or in need of a reprint.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 10:57:09 AM »

I've been looking for it as well (my husband's copy dates from his school days, and is quite well worn), and I've only been able to find a few used copies through Amazon. Not particularly popular, or in need of a reprint.
That's too bad.  A recent thread had an article that gave the RSV less of a rating than I would have.  I think it is very good for word studies if someone did not know the original language.  Contrary to the popular trend, I like it a lot better than the NRSV, but that's just me.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »

A recent thread had an article that gave the RSV less of a rating than I would have.  I think it is very good for word studies if someone did not know the original language.  Contrary to the popular trend, I like it a lot better than the NRSV, but that's just me.

Not just you.   Wink

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »

Do many Orthodox use the Ignatius RSV bible? 
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 09:49:07 PM »

This is the edition we used in school. It's only $30 (£9.30).

http://www.christianbook.com/oxford-annotated-apocrypha-expanded-edition-hardcover/9780195283488/pd/8900?event=AAI

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 11:48:45 PM »

A bookstore in my area had a clearance sale and they had the OSB for $1 a piece for the hardbound version.  I snatched that up quick.  I like it, but as with all study Bibles I have ever read, they don't always provide commentary on the passages that you want commentary on.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:48:55 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 11:50:37 PM »

A bookstore in my area had a clearance sale and they had the OSB for $1 a piece for the hardbound version.  I snatched that up quick.  I like it, but as with all study Bibles I have ever read, they don't always provide commentary on the passages that you want commentary on.

I don't own a copy of the OSB, but I'd buy it for $1.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »

I don't own a copy of the OSB, but I'd buy it for $1.  Tongue
I picked up my copy for $3 used at a library sale. It had apparently never been checked out.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 12:58:56 AM »

I have an OSB and would like to get an RSV.  They are all over the place so I am not sure why people are having a difficult time finding them.  

http://www.catholiccompany.com/ignatius-rsv-c471/

http://www.ignatius.com/IProducts/23890/ignatius-bible--large-print-edition.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Scripture-Study-Bible-RSV-CE/dp/1935302493

http://www.christianbook.com/rsv-bible-large-print-ultrasoft-black/9781935302278/pd/302278

https://www.saintbenedictpress.com/index.php/Bibles-Revised-Standard-Version-Catholic

https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/Catholic-Scripture-Study-Bible-RSV-Large-Print-Edition

These are all the CE version, but you can get them without CE and some have the deuterocanonical books which are not the CE version.  Like this http://www.christianbook.com/revised-standard-version-deuterocanonical-imitation-leather/9780061627026/pd/627026?item_code=WW&netp_id=609147&event=ESRCQ&view=details

You just gotta do some looking.  I am thinking of getting an RSV-CE from St. Benedicts only because the words of Christ are in red where the Ignatius isn't.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:01:39 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 01:03:33 AM »

Do many Orthodox use the Ignatius RSV bible? 

It has great reviews.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 06:25:50 PM »

I have an OSB and would like to get an RSV.  They are all over the place so I am not sure why people are having a difficult time finding them.  

The RSV-CE and the RSV-SCE are available from multiple sources, but the original RSV with all the deuterocanonical books is usually only available in the Oxford Study edition for something like $50.  Almost ten years ago, I bought an RSV "pew Bible" which was hardcover, contained all the books but no study notes, and was only $20.  It must've gone out of print, because I haven't been able to find it since.  I think this is the "difficulty" people have with finding the RSV: it's very hard to find a "regular" RSV.   

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: