OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 06:21:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hispanics in America leaving Catholism for Islam...  (Read 977 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« on: August 23, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »

Just how prevalent is this?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/08/22/Report-Hispanics-in-America-Leaving-Catholicism-for-Islam
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 05:03:59 PM »

Hispanics looking for non-White religion?

Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »

Maybe they are looking for a paradise full of white virgins ... Roll Eyes

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »

Christianity began in the Middle East.  Orthodoxy is Eastern still.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 05:23:36 PM »

I guess my question should have been: "What in Islam is enticing enough for Catholics to switch religions"?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 05:25:01 PM »

"Christianity" doesn't mean White Anglo-Saxon Protestantism for Americans?

Wandile
Peter the Roman
OC.net guru

Faith: One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church - Roman Rite
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria, South Africa

@Wandi_Star
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 05:50:42 PM »

not prevalent at all lol. I haven't heard anything about this until you brought it up to be honest

\"Keep close to the Catholic Church at all times, for the Church alone can give you true peace, since she alone possesses Jesus, the true Prince of Peace, in the Blessed Sacrament.\" - Padre Pio<br /><br />\"He inquired whether he agreed with the Catholic bishops, that is
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 06:02:56 PM »

not prevalent at all lol. I haven't heard anything about this until you brought it up to be honest

Well, I have heard of many Latino converts to Islam that have tried to plot jihad on American soil plenty of times.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 06:07:02 PM »

Not very. Didn't you read the article? There are maybe 100-200,000 Hispanic Muslims in the United States, out of a population of 50 million Hispanics. That is less than half of 1% of the population. There are way more non-Hispanic white converts to Islam in America.

I've never met even a single Hispanic person who cares for Islam at all, with the possible exception of one mixed up guy from Argentina who was of Syrian descent (there are a lot of Lebanese and Syrian-descended people in Latin America) who converted to Islam post-9/11. What can you say...there are gullible fools of every race, culture, or background. Que pena. No matter what the media is telling you, most Hispanics remain some kind of Christian (Orthodoxy is certainly increasing among Latinos, too! How about a story on that, secular media?), and are quite adverse to Islam, thank God.

Samn!
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »

Yeah, this is basically just right-wing websites trying to combine fears of immigrants with fear of Islam..... not actually a thing.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 07:04:05 PM »

Bull. Most Hispanics stayed lapsed Papists their entire lives.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
lovesupreme
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 10:08:51 PM »

Read the first few comments on this article and you'll understand the sort of audience that worries about this sort of "epidemic."

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »

Yeah, this is basically just right-wing websites trying to combine fears of immigrants with fear of Islam..... not actually a thing.

To be fair, I first saw this on the BBC.  Unless I'm exceptionally stupid, the BBC doesn't really strike me as a right-wing establishment.  Smiley 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 10:01:42 AM »

I don't think this is a right wing issue or a left wing issue for that matter.  If, If this is happening on a much larger scale than we imagine the question begs what could be the cause of these conversions.  Mor, did the BBC go into detail as to the reasons for this?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:02:36 AM by JoeS2 » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 10:09:43 AM »

Mor, did the BBC go into detail as to the reasons for this?

Not really, it just noted a phenomenon and presented conversion to Islam in a positive light.  It's a three minute fluff video with a cute baby.  Everyone loves babies.  Smiley

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
lovesupreme
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »

Mor, did the BBC go into detail as to the reasons for this?

Not really, it just noted a phenomenon and presented conversion to Islam in a positive light.  It's a three minute fluff video with a cute baby.  Everyone loves babies.  Smiley

Maybe it's the leftist apologist in me speaking, but I didn't find the video overly positive. It tried to garner sympathy for the recent convert, who was having difficulties with his family, and it showed off the mosque in the Latino community. Overall, it was a pretty neutral piece (as much as a piece from BBC on Islam can be neutral).

I'd be curious to hear more about the thought process for converting. Are they told that they can still "honor" Mary and Christ in Islam? How do they reconcile the Jesus of Christianity with the "Isa" of Islam?

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »

I live in a Hispanic-majority city in a heavily Hispanic part of the country. I can guarantee that the vast majority of those who go to the mosque here are not Hispanics, but various flavors of Arabs, Africans, and South Asians.

However, I also know that across the street from the mosque -- which is right next to the airport, so it's one of the first things that you see when arriving in the city and heading into the downtown center -- there is a big billboard that asks "Why Islam?" and proclaims Islam to be the faith of Jesus, Abraham, Moses, etc. Chances are converts to Islam from any background have bought off on that particular (false) idea: The patriarchs and prophets (and, yes, Christ and Mary, too) that have traditionally been associated with Judaism and/or Christianity were really Muslims, so I should be too. Roll Eyes

I've brought up over the Agape meal the idea of putting up our own billboard to counteract that message, but so far have been told it's too ambitious/not economically feasible. Shame. Something like "Orthodox Christianity: It wasn't started by a violent illiterate in a cave in the middle of nowhere...plus you can prostrate, fast, and chant in Arabic in worship, if that's appealing to you" would certainly turn heads...particularly if it were also placed across the street from the mosque. Tongue
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 12:02:43 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »

Maybe it's the leftist apologist in me speaking, but I didn't find the video overly positive. It tried to garner sympathy for the recent convert, who was having difficulties with his family, and it showed off the mosque in the Latino community. Overall, it was a pretty neutral piece (as much as a piece from BBC on Islam can be neutral).

The sympathy angle is one reason I thought it was an overall positive reflection of Islam.  Here's this formerly fervent RC with his formerly fervent RC spouse, enraged over 9-11 and hating on Islam until they actually learn about it.  Then they're sold on it, convert, and have a lovely little family together.  They even lay the cute baby on the prayer rug while they do prostrations (it looks like playtime!).  The only problem is that the guy's parents are prejudiced against their son's new faith, proclaiming it unpatriotic and not allowing him to come home.  Poor, persecuted Muslims harassed by "patriotic" "American" "Christians" with precious little "family values".

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 01:22:36 PM »

I remember a similar sob story from an acquaintance of mine, a white woman, who converted to Islam some years ago from a Protestant Christian background. She would complain about how her family treats her differently, they don't accept her new beliefs, they're distant to her, some of them are nervous having her around their children now, etc. Granted, all of this is absolutely explainable by the fact that she now wears the prescribed female Islamic dress at all times, and insists on having her own beliefs presented as on equal footing with those of her still-Christian family members. I told her that, rather than it being unfair that the rest of her family does not treat her like she's the same person she was before she converted, it is absolutely fair that they treat her differently now, since she is not the same person since she converted. Duh. Muslims are such babies. I converted to Orthodoxy around the same time that my father converted to his Filipino anti-Christian cult ("Iglesia Ni Cristo"; yuck)...you don't think that causes conflict? Conflict is part and parcel of having deeply-held beliefs that don't agree with whatever the majority believes.

I feel no sympathy for Catholic (or other) converts to Islam. They're deceived, confused fools, desperate for meaning that they cannot find in their bankrupt spiritualities, and hence latch on to simpler but also bankrupt Islamic ways. Given the population we're talking about, the saying patadas de ahogado (the kicks of a drowning man) comes to mind...

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 01:49:12 PM »

I remember a similar sob story from an acquaintance of mine, a white woman, who converted to Islam some years ago from a Protestant Christian background. She would complain about how her family treats her differently, they don't accept her new beliefs, they're distant to her, some of them are nervous having her around their children now, etc. Granted, all of this is absolutely explainable by the fact that she now wears the prescribed female Islamic dress at all times, and insists on having her own beliefs presented as on equal footing with those of her still-Christian family members. I told her that, rather than it being unfair that the rest of her family does not treat her like she's the same person she was before she converted, it is absolutely fair that they treat her differently now, since she is not the same person since she converted. Duh. Muslims are such babies. I converted to Orthodoxy around the same time that my father converted to his Filipino anti-Christian cult ("Iglesia Ni Cristo"; yuck)...you don't think that causes conflict? Conflict is part and parcel of having deeply-held beliefs that don't agree with whatever the majority believes.

I feel no sympathy for Catholic (or other) converts to Islam. They're deceived, confused fools, desperate for meaning that they cannot find in their bankrupt spiritualities, and hence latch on to simpler but also bankrupt Islamic ways. Given the population we're talking about, the saying patadas de ahogado (the kicks of a drowning man) comes to mind...
+1

Somewhere I missed that you were Hispanic/Spanish.

Interesting that what these converts are complaining about are the exact things that Christ promises His converts.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »

I live in a Hispanic-majority city in a heavily Hispanic part of the country. I can guarantee that the vast majority of those who go to the mosque here are not Hispanics, but various flavors of Arabs, Africans, and South Asians.

However, I also know that across the street from the mosque -- which is right next to the airport, so it's one of the first things that you see when arriving in the city and heading into the downtown center -- there is a big billboard that asks "Why Islam?" and proclaims Islam to be the faith of Jesus, Abraham, Moses, etc. Chances are converts to Islam from any background have bought off on that particular (false) idea: The patriarchs and prophets (and, yes, Christ and Mary, too) that have traditionally been associated with Judaism and/or Christianity were really Muslims, so I should be too. Roll Eyes

I've brought up over the Agape meal the idea of putting up our own billboard to counteract that message, but so far have been told it's too ambitious/not economically feasible. Shame. Something like "Orthodox Christianity: It wasn't started by a violent illiterate in a cave in the middle of nowhere...plus you can prostrate, fast, and chant in Arabic in worship, if that's appealing to you" would certainly turn heads...particularly if it were also placed across the street from the mosque. Tongue

LOL.

You left out "and pray 7 times a day, rather than just 5x.  But you can't practice pedophilia, or marry your daughter-in-law."
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 01:55:50 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »

Not very. Didn't you read the article? There are maybe 100-200,000 Hispanic Muslims in the United States, out of a population of 50 million Hispanics. That is less than half of 1% of the population. There are way more non-Hispanic white converts to Islam in America.

I've never met even a single Hispanic person who cares for Islam at all, with the possible exception of one mixed up guy from Argentina who was of Syrian descent (there are a lot of Lebanese and Syrian-descended people in Latin America) who converted to Islam post-9/11. What can you say...there are gullible fools of every race, culture, or background. Que pena. No matter what the media is telling you, most Hispanics remain some kind of Christian (Orthodoxy is certainly increasing among Latinos, too! How about a story on that, secular media?), and are quite adverse to Islam, thank God.
In the '90's it was chic to claim Moorish blood, and go so far as to "revert" to Islam.  I wonder how the Madrid bombing affected that.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 01:58:17 PM »

LOL.

You left out "and pray 7 times a day, rather than just 5x.  But you can't practice pedophilia, or marry your daughter-in-law."

I love you two. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 02:04:50 PM »

... The study concludes that the best estimate of Muslims in the United States is 2.8 million at most, compared to the 6 million figure used by many researchers and Muslim organizations. Muslim leaders said the report was an attempt to undercut their influence.

- http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_islam_usa.html

Granted of course that doesn't directly tell us the number of Hispanics Muslims in America; but maybe the people who believe they are 100,000+ Hispanics Muslims in America are the same people who believe there are 6 million American Muslims overall.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
dzheremi
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2013, 02:43:40 PM »

My grandmother came to this country as a child from Mexico City. I don't often self-identify that way unless it's to make some sort of point related to it, as in this thread. My family is pretty white, especially now that all my Mexican relatives are dead, and I'm the only one alive who speaks the language.

Interesting that what these converts are complaining about are the exact things that Christ promises His converts.

Yep. People want an easy life, regardless of where they come from. Hence why Christianity is, and always will be, very unpopular.

In the '90's it was chic to claim Moorish blood, and go so far as to "revert" to Islam.  I wonder how the Madrid bombing affected that.

Yes, I've seen this tendency among some people in Iberia. Stupid...willingly submitting to the religion that slaughtered and oppressed their forefathers. I don't interact with many people from Spain (though I guess it's safe to say that many people in Albuquerque have at least partial Spanish blood, given the Spanish history here), but I highly doubt that any of the various Latinos (Mexicans, Colombians, etc.) I know would convert to Islam for any reason. The people who do are generally of Middle Eastern heritage, and even then are only a small percentage within those Middle Eastern-descended communities, as most of the established Arab-Latino communities are Christian, same as their Syrian/Lebanese/Iraqi forefathers who fled from the Ottoman Empire to Latin America in the first place. There are, of course, some exceptions to this (Carlos Menem, former president of Argentina and Syrian by heritage, was an Alawite but converted to Catholicism)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:47:01 PM by dzheremi » Logged

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 04:23:50 PM »

My grandmother came to this country as a child from Mexico City. I don't often self-identify that way unless it's to make some sort of point related to it, as in this thread. My family is pretty white, especially now that all my Mexican relatives are dead, and I'm the only one alive who speaks the language.

Yep. People want an easy life, regardless of where they come from. Hence why Christianity is, and always will be, very unpopular.

In the '90's it was chic to claim Moorish blood, and go so far as to "revert" to Islam.  I wonder how the Madrid bombing affected that.

Yes, I've seen this tendency among some people in Iberia. Stupid...willingly submitting to the religion that slaughtered and oppressed their forefathers. I don't interact with many people from Spain (though I guess it's safe to say that many people in Albuquerque have at least partial Spanish blood, given the Spanish history here), but I highly doubt that any of the various Latinos (Mexicans, Colombians, etc.) I know would convert to Islam for any reason. The people who do are generally of Middle Eastern heritage, and even then are only a small percentage within those Middle Eastern-descended communities, as most of the established Arab-Latino communities are Christian, same as their Syrian/Lebanese/Iraqi forefathers who fled from the Ottoman Empire to Latin America in the first place. There are, of course, some exceptions to this (Carlos Menem, former president of Argentina and Syrian by heritage, was an Alawite but converted to Catholicism)

I think just the notoriety of a Hispanic converting to Islam in this day and age (barring the Moorish conversions in Spain) does seem somewhat newsworthy, although I personally think that Hispanics who loose their faith usually dont convert at all.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 04:25:51 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »

I think just the notoriety of a Hispanic converting to Islam in this day and age (barring the Moorish conversions in Spain) does seem somewhat newsworthy, although I personally think that Hispanics who loose their faith usually dont convert at all.
Hispanics embracing Islam are dwarfed by the myriads becoming Protestants, in the US and Latin America.

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »

Another great post by dzheremi.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »

Stupid...willingly submitting to the religion that slaughtered and oppressed their forefathers.

Playing Devil's advocate here, but, can't the same be said about Hispanics who zealously hold onto Roman Catholicism--the religion that slaughtered and oppressed their/our forefathers?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 11:32:34 PM »

Hispanics embracing Islam are dwarfed by the myriads becoming Protestants, in the US and Latin America.

The Evangelical/ Pentecostals have had a pronounced influence on the Mexican Christians in the last 50 or so years.   My daughter in law and her husband, both are Hispanics, were RC's but joined an Evangelical Group and are very happy there.   I asked them if they were 'Protestant', they replied " of course not we are Christians "... There you go.....I just left it alone.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:34:33 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 11:51:21 PM »

The Evangelical/ Pentecostals have had a pronounced influence on the Mexican Christians in the last 50 or so years.   My daughter in law and her husband, both are Hispanics, were RC's but joined an Evangelical Group and are very happy there.   I asked them if they were 'Protestant', they replied " of course not we are Christians "... There you go.....I just left it alone.
I dunno. The phenomenon certainly exists, but at least among the hispanics of Chicago, it doesn't seem big. Sure you have all those store-front Spanish speaking evangelical churches, but they are very small. Knowing many Mexicans and other Latin-Americans, I have only met a couple of evangelicals among the Puerto Ricans. Mexicans were always
RC. Although not really caring about it all that much from what I can tell.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2013, 11:28:44 AM »

The Evangelical/ Pentecostals have had a pronounced influence on the Mexican Christians in the last 50 or so years.   My daughter in law and her husband, both are Hispanics, were RC's but joined an Evangelical Group and are very happy there.   I asked them if they were 'Protestant', they replied " of course not we are Christians "... There you go.....I just left it alone.
Hahhahaha, I've used that response before to show how above denominationalism I was.

I see these articles pop up every other year, either from an inner-city or feminist perspective.  The vast majority of Muslims in Latin America are Middle-Eastern/African immigrants or second-generation foks.  It is interesting that second-, third-, and even fourth-generation Americans of Hispanic ancestry submit to Islam.  One common thread that I have seen is that those who convert were not strong in their original faith, RC or Protestant.  They were cultural Christians at best, got tired of seeing hypocrisy or immodesty, and got educated in Islam.  It's really sad.  They then become hyper-arabs, but that goes for most converts to Islam.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:35:12 AM by hecma925 » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: