OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 05:18:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethnic ?  (Read 1596 times) Average Rating: 0
Linda

« on: February 04, 2005, 11:34:34 AM »

I've been reading some of the threads, and it seems like the ethnicity of a church can be an issue. I have been intrigued by a Coptic church in my area, but being Irish and Scottish I wonder how well I would fit in. The Greek church here is predominately people of Greek origin, and I also find that particular church to be a bit pretentious. They love to talk about money for some reason. I guess my ? is which particular Church would be most likely to welcome people from a different ethnic group or does this really just depend on the particular Church. I really like what I have been reading about Orthodoxy. I just hadn't thought about this aspect. In the RC you typically have a mix of all different ethnic groups. It might be really weird for me.
Linda
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 11:36:18 AM by Linda » Logged

NULL
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 12:03:55 PM »

Linda,

I don't think you can say any particular local Orthodox church is particularly welcoming/unwelcoming to converts from outside their ethnic group - you just have to go and see what they're like. In my own experience, I've found that the Greeks are a little too Greek - they welcome you but they try to Hellenize you also - others here haven't had the same experience at all, though. Personally, I've found the Romanians, Russians and Antiochian parishes to be very welcoming but, again, others may have a different view.

I would like to point out one thing, though. If you're seriously thinking of converting, you really need to figure out whether you agree with Eastern Orthodox or Oriental Orthodox Christology first. It just seems a really odd thing to me to that you appear to be considering the Greek (EO) and Coptic (OO) churches as though they have the same beliefs - but then I'm Romanian Orthodox, so fall firmly in the EO camp.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Linda

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 12:21:53 PM »

Hi James,
Thanks for the response. I wasn't clear in my post. I'm not considering the Greek Orthodox church at all. I just happen to know alot of Greek Orthodox people, and I do know that church here to some extent. The Coptic church is the one that I was interested in, but I am very new to this so I really am just learning. My post was more of an inquiry into an issue that seems to be addressed frequently here.

Linda

NULL
Aklie Semaet

Thank God for my fiancée!

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 01:04:36 PM »

Dear Linda,

I would strongly encourage you to just go to the Church. Copts are very welcoming. Truthfully, you may get asked about your ethnic background once or twice but don’t let that startle you. But this will only be in the total excitement that someone of Irish/Scottish descent is interested in the faith. Btw, were you aware that the British Orthodox Church is canonically part of the Coptic Patriarchate? I would recommend you to explore that website and also to look at the links. There is one on the history of Celtic Orthodoxy (and the interesting fact that Celtic Christology has been historically very Oriental in nature). So the connection may be closer than you think. Smiley

Ethiopia ijochwan wede Egzabiher tezregalech
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 01:12:06 PM »

Hi Linda,

Aklie is right.  In my (Coptic Orthodox) Church, there are several American converts, including people of African, Celtic, and Latino descent.  I think you will find the people to be welcoming, and pray your experience will be a good one!  Smiley

In Christ,

Nick

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 01:34:21 PM »

I'm also of Anglo(scotch)/German descent...and as I have pointed out in the related thread, the Greek ethnicity doesnt bother me a bit...
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2005, 02:36:41 PM »

In my limited experience, Copts generally tend to be welcoming.  There will be questions, it may be uncomfortable at times (I've experienced it myself), but I don't think it should be as bad as one might think...it may even be better. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2005, 03:43:54 PM »

Linda,

I would also like to chime in and say that I agree with Aklie, Antonius and Mor's recommendation to visit the Coptic church. I visited my local Coptic church and they were the most friendly and welcoming church I've ever been to. I posted my experience in visiting the church on the board and here is a link, in case you are interested:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/newboard/index.php/topic,3274.msg46744.html#msg46744

So, if you're thinking of going, why not pop in for a visit? Better to go and experience it firsthand than wish you hadn't.  Smiley

May God bless you.

In Christ,
Aaron
Linda

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 04:37:32 PM »

Thanks for the responses. The link to the British Orthodox Church was really good. Aaron, I was very impressed with your experience at the Coptic Church. It is unfortunate that the thread took a turn though. Didn't know that there was tension btw EO and OO, but then I am just learning.
Linda

NULL
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2005, 06:11:49 PM »

Linda,

The tension between the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox groups is more apparent with the laity and not so much with priests or bishops of either church. Of course, there are exceptions, but do not let this hinder you in your desire to learn more about Orthodoxy. Try not to focus on these things, but instead keep your gaze steady on Christ and with a desire to become a part of the Church. God will lead you where He wants you to be.  Smiley

In Christ,
Aaron
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 08:46:51 AM »

The tension between the Oriental and Eastern Orthodox groups is more apparent with the laity and not so much with priests or bishops of either church.

Ehhhh...well, the "tension" between bishops may be more charitably expressed than between laity (and is being dealt with by the bishops sloooooooowly), but it's still what's keeping us from concelebrating and being one church, so I don't know that I would paint it too much as just a "grassroots" problem.

That's good advice, though, Linda, about focus.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 08:47:03 AM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: