OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 04:03:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Answering Catholic apologists  (Read 2950 times) Average Rating: 0
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2013, 09:55:40 AM »

Sidebar:  This is the best diversion of a thread I have read to date.  laugh laugh laugh

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2013, 09:58:52 AM »

Mice were actually quite an improvement over having to type all this stuff or using a shell named dos. I know it will strike some as odd that they could fit a shell inside the computer, but computers were larger in those days.
First mice and now turtle-computers?  Were the turtle computers mobile even if a bit slow?  Truly the ancient world must have been a sight to behold.

Dual natures?  Hypostatic union?  Was it a turtle that became computer or a computer that became turtle?  Did the turtle essence become subsumed to the computer nature, or vice versa?  A Council must be summoned!

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2013, 10:04:19 AM »

3. Roman Catholics are wrong because they ascribe to Augustine (who, btw, is not really a saint) and his heretical teachings.

No saint is perfect, not even in his writings.  I assume then that you regard Isasc the SYrian and Gregory of Nyssa as non-saints because of some of their doctrines that have been repudiated.  This anti-Augustinianism of yours (and lots of other Orthodox too) makes me sick.  Show me one father, just one, who preached more about repentance than Augustine.  His theology is consistent with theosis.  And some of our great fathers such as Photios the Great and Mark of Ephesus considered Augustine as a saint.  Who are you to say otherwise?

You may want to lay off the Fr. John Romanides' books for awhile.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »

Goarch calendar commemorates him on June 15 and calls him, "Augustine the Blessed, Bishop of Hippo:"  http://www.goarch.org/chapel/dateceleb_view?m=6&d=15&y=2013    I usually hear his name as St. Augustine. Undecided
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:27:08 AM by Gamliel » Logged
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 10:27:35 AM »

3. Roman Catholics are wrong because they ascribe to Augustine (who, btw, is not really a saint) and his heretical teachings.

No saint is perfect, not even in his writings.  I assume then that you regard Isasc the SYrian and Gregory of Nyssa as non-saints because of some of their doctrines that have been repudiated.  This anti-Augustinianism of yours (and lots of other Orthodox too) makes me sick.  Show me one father, just one, who preached more about repentance than Augustine.  His theology is consistent with theosis.  And some of our great fathers such as Photios the Great and Mark of Ephesus considered Augustine as a saint.  Who are you to say otherwise?

Without speaking for Nephi, I think he was using sarcasm and humor to demonstrate those are things that lousy Orthodox apologists would say, not that he believes that for himself.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »

Goarch calendar commemorates him on June 15 and calls him, "Augustine the Blessed, Bishop of Hippo:"  http://www.goarch.org/chapel/dateceleb_view?m=6&d=15&y=2013    I usually hear his name as St. Augustine. Undecided

But, Blessed = Saint, so...  police
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 10:31:27 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

St. Basil is great!

Wonder if he drank goat's milk . . .

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2013, 11:33:11 AM »

Without speaking for Nephi, I think he was using sarcasm and humor to demonstrate those are things that lousy Orthodox apologists would say, not that he believes that for himself.

I don't know him so I wouldn't necessarily perceive that

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2013, 11:36:31 AM »

I don't know him so I wouldn't necessarily perceive that
It is just something I got from the context of the post. I'm sure he will stop by to clarify.  Smiley

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »

I have a theory that the saying "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" is itself a sarcastic statement made to embarrass people who don't understand that it is sarcasm and quote it as though it's meant to be taken literally. Very mean!  police
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:47:59 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

St. Basil is great!

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »

I have a theory that the saying "sarcasm is the lowest form of wit" is itself a sarcastic statement made to embarrass people who don't understand that it is sarcasm and quote it as though it's meant to be taken literally. Very mean!  police
Further down the rabbit hole we go!  laugh

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2013, 12:12:32 PM »

No saint is perfect, not even in his writings.  I assume then that you regard Isasc the SYrian and Gregory of Nyssa as non-saints because of some of their doctrines that have been repudiated.  This anti-Augustinianism of yours (and lots of other Orthodox too) makes me sick.  Show me one father, just one, who preached more about repentance than Augustine.  His theology is consistent with theosis.  And some of our great fathers such as Photios the Great and Mark of Ephesus considered Augustine as a saint.  Who are you to say otherwise?

That's what I was guessing, when I read Nephi's post.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Annie Och

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2013, 12:16:39 PM »

Yes sir. Cool

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »

Literalism?  For shame!  This only works if sarcasm is literally a wit which is (in the physical realm) at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »

Goarch calendar commemorates him on June 15 and calls him, "Augustine the Blessed, Bishop of Hippo:"  http://www.goarch.org/chapel/dateceleb_view?m=6&d=15&y=2013    I usually hear his name as St. Augustine. Undecided

And interestingly it seems that Blessed is a particularly unique title of affection for St. Augustine. Considering the charge that we often completely overlook him and his writings (including the good), I wonder how he came to be referred to as "Blessed Augustine" among all the other saints.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »

And interestingly it seems that Blessed is a particularly unique title of affection for St. Augustine. Considering the charge that we often completely overlook him and his writings (including the good), I wonder how he came to be referred to as "Blessed Augustine" among all the other saints.
I have wondered this myself.

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2013, 02:20:33 PM »

No need to provide answers to Catholic apologists. The Catholics who have the answers are broke and had to fire everybody. They can't respond without another $300,000.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:21:00 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »

I have wondered this myself.

One question:  don't Orthodox use the term "Blessed" for people that have not quite been canonized as saints, as the Roman Catholics do?

Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »

One question:  don't Orthodox use the term "Blessed" for people that have not quite been canonized as saints, as the Roman Catholics do?
Nope.

It's a descriptor, not a title, e.g. "the blessed Mother of God."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:27:01 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2013, 02:25:19 PM »

No need to provide answers to Catholic apologists. The Catholics who have the answers are broke and had to fire everybody. They can't respond without another $300,000.

I got an email about that, which I found very confusing. "We fired 945 people but still need a truckload of money to make ends meet. Send us money!"  Huh

St. Basil is great!

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2013, 02:41:54 PM »

Nope.

It's a descriptor, not a title, e.g. "the blessed Mother of God."

All right, that makes more sense.  I have seen several icons of Fr. Seraphim Rose floating around and it will say "Blessed Seraphim of Platina"  and I know he hasn't been glorified a saint by any synod.  I know the RC canonization process will have those that have been beatified called "Blessed."

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2013, 02:51:39 PM »

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2013, 02:56:06 PM »

I should have realized.  I stand next to her at Liturgy all the time.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »

Some people at CAF got dramatic salary cuts.

Thank goodness I wasn't one them!

lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2013, 08:01:53 PM »

I heard two new ones today:

12. Bishop Kallistos wrote in early editions of The Orthodox Church that the Orthodox agreed with the Catholics on contraception (i.e. that it's forbidden in all circumstances). In later editions, Bishop Kallistos wrote that there is some leeway with contraception. The Orthodox Church has changed its stance in just the last 50 years.

13. The West has the ability to contain Eastern thought, but the East cannot contain Western thought.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:09:53 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »

12. Bishop Kallistos wrote in early editions of The Orthodox Church that the Orthodox agreed with the Catholics on contraception (i.e. that it's forbidden in all circumstances). In later editions, Bishop Kallistos wrote that there is some leeway with contraception. The Orthodox Church has changed its stance in just the last 50 years.

13. The West has the ability to contain Eastern thought, but the East cannot contain Western thought.

Meh about the first one.  The endless contraception argument to me is just kind of wasting breath.

The second one makes me lol.  What does that even mean? I could make the same argument about all sorts of ridiculous things.  Deism has the ability to contain Christianity, but Christianity cannot contain Deism. My wife's jewelry box can contain her jewelry, but her jewelry cannot contain the jewelry box.  Worst argument ever.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2013, 08:43:27 PM »

As significant as he is in the English-speaking world, since when is Metropolitan Kallistos is the sole authoritative voice of Orthodoxy?

lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2013, 08:52:57 PM »

As significant as he is in the English-speaking world, since when is Metropolitan Kallistos is the sole authoritative voice of Orthodoxy?

That would be my point, too. It's not like you can just pick any old Orthodox bishop, see if they were ever inconsistent in their writings, and then use that to prove that the Orthodox Faith has changed.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2013, 08:55:47 PM »

The second one makes me lol.  What does that even mean? I could make the same argument about all sorts of ridiculous things.  Deism has the ability to contain Christianity, but Christianity cannot contain Deism. My wife's jewelry box can contain her jewelry, but her jewelry cannot contain the jewelry box.  Worst argument ever.

The person then said that he didn't want to get into why this was so because it might "confuse" people.

It's an asinine claim to make, for sure. Priding one's own approach by reducing the other approach to not even a complementary one, but a subservient one.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »

The person then said that he didn't want to get into why this was so because it might "confuse" people.

It's an asinine claim to make, for sure. Priding one's own approach by reducing the other approach to not even a complementary one, but a subservient one.
Well, that's fun.  I am so blue I'm greener than purple.  I don't want to get into why this is because it might confuse people.

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2013, 09:45:36 PM »

Silly Stars
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2013, 10:02:57 PM »

It's true, there's no Roman Orthodox!
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2013, 10:20:28 PM »

I'm pretty sure I've never heard that one before. (I think I would remember something that weird.) I have heard the argument that Catholicism has "both lungs", whereas Orthodoxy has only one.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »

Since every zealous convert reads his books and almost nothing else and then go on boards like oc.net and show off what they know and what (they think) cradles don't.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:07:42 PM by scamandrius » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »

Since every zealous convert reads his books and almost nothing else and then go on boards like oc.net and show off what they know and what (they think) cradles don't.

Smiley

The only edition of The Orthodox Church that I've read was the first, with the "conservative" position on contraception.  I wonder how much of the perceived change between that and subsequent editions had to do with his subsequent entrance into ordained ministry.  The copy I read was written by "Timothy Ware", a convert to the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.  The copy I own for my library lists, as author, Kallistos (Timothy) Ware or Metropolitan Kallistos Ware (I forget which), by then a Greek bishop.  Reading one's way into the Church is one thing, but actually living within the Church and working with people is another experience entirely.  There need not be a conflict between the two, but only a more comprehensive understanding of the whole.   
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:03:22 AM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »

I'm pretty sure I've never heard that one before. (I think I would remember something that weird.) I have heard the argument that Catholicism has "both lungs", whereas Orthodoxy has only one.

Well, that may explain why I get exhausted at times..... Roll Eyes
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2013, 10:07:31 AM »

Well, I'm convinced.  Pope Francis, here I come!

Yeah, me too. Get behind me......lets go...
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »

Well, that may explain why I get exhausted at times..... Roll Eyes

Hey don't make me come over there!  laugh

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2013, 10:57:49 AM »

Roamin' Orthodox on the other hand... (har har)  police
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 10:57:55 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

St. Basil is great!

lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »

Roamin' Orthodox on the other hand... (har har)  police

Or the Romaine Orthodox:

"Lettuce pray to the Lord..."
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2013, 11:58:53 AM »

Roamin' Orthodox on the other hand... (har har)  police

Or the Romaine Orthodox:

"Lettuce pray to the Lord..."

It has more Mystique that way.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »

This is silly. Throughout history there have been Orthodox theologians who have high regard for St. Thomas Aquinas, and I have met some on this very forum who hold similar views.

But even more importantly, western thought is heavily influenced by Greek philosophy, which comes from... wait for it... the East.

Who was the silly-willy who claimed that the East cannot contain western thought?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2013, 12:17:47 PM »

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2013, 12:24:14 PM »

I've seen you post this bishop's photo several times, but I guess I was inactive when you explained who it was.  Who is this Pope?  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2013, 12:59:20 PM »

I've seen you post this bishop's photo several times, but I guess I was inactive when you explained who it was.  Who is this Pope?  Smiley
His Grace Bishop Silouan

"Following the decision of the Extraordinary Meeting of the Italian clergy to establish the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of Italy (Gavedo, 8 May 2007), approved by the Metropolitan Assembly (Limours, 1 June 2007) and the Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church (Bucharest, June 21, 2007 ) was chosen as the sole candidate by the electoral college Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of Italy (Paris, 19 February 2008), and the Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church elected the first bishop of Italy (Bucharest, March 5, 2008). He was enthroned by Metropolitan Joseph Lucca, on Thursday 8 May 2008."

More info:  http://www.bisericaortodoxafirenze.com/

Silly Stars
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2013, 01:45:42 PM »

His Grace Bishop Silouan

"Following the decision of the Extraordinary Meeting of the Italian clergy to establish the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of Italy (Gavedo, 8 May 2007), approved by the Metropolitan Assembly (Limours, 1 June 2007) and the Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church (Bucharest, June 21, 2007 ) was chosen as the sole candidate by the electoral college Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of Italy (Paris, 19 February 2008), and the Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church elected the first bishop of Italy (Bucharest, March 5, 2008). He was enthroned by Metropolitan Joseph Lucca, on Thursday 8 May 2008."

More info:  http://www.bisericaortodoxafirenze.com/
I know the Romanians call priests "Popa" but I'm not sure if they call bishops that.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: