OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 06:33:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why so much emphasis on the Bible?  (Read 1912 times) Average Rating: 0
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Lutheran

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2013, 12:11:29 PM »

So, by your reasoning, we only need the Gospel of John and we can ignore the rest of the scriptures.

That is not at all what I implied. John wrote his Gospel so we “may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name”. It’s the believing part so we may have life in Christ that is important. “Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God”

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

You're set in your ways--I understand that. Fine. You're still wrong.
Happy Lutheran, you're not winning anyone over and you're just running your mouth and, frankly, you are starting to sound like one of my 7th graders.  Why are you on this board?

Yes, it is clear we will not come to agreement. Your insistence to mock and decline to actually address the verses is not convincing.  I have just posted many Scriptures and church fathers quotes and let them speak for themselves; that is running my mouth according to you. This is the Protestant sub-forum; the topic is about the emphasis on the Bible. If I’m not welcome to give my opinion and/or the people and moderators of this site don’t want me to post here anymore, just let me know. 

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2013, 12:54:19 PM »

So, by your reasoning, we only need the Gospel of John and we can ignore the rest of the scriptures.

That is not at all what I implied. John wrote his Gospel so we “may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name”. It’s the believing part so we may have life in Christ that is important. “Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God”

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Happy Lutheran, you're not winning anyone over and you're just running your mouth and, frankly, you are starting to sound like one of my 7th graders.  Why are you on this board?

Yes, it is clear we will not come to agreement. Your insistence to mock and decline to actually address the verses is not convincing.  I have just posted many Scriptures and church fathers quotes and let them speak for themselves; that is running my mouth according to you. This is the Protestant sub-forum; the topic is about the emphasis on the Bible. If I’m not welcome to give my opinion and/or the people and moderators of this site don’t want me to post here anymore, just let me know.
In this case, Happy Lutheran, it seems as if your biggest critics are merely talking past you with no real understanding of what you're trying to say. I'm not sure I understand yet what you are trying to say, but it doesn't seem to me that you're using this thread to argue for sola scriptura. The question is why so much emphasis is placed on the Bible. You're citing Fathers who placed a great emphasis on the Bible (a.k.a. Scriptures). What you've cited could just as well be seen as an apologetic for prima scriptura, the primacy of Scripture within Tradition, as an apologetic for sola scriptura. ISTM that scamandrius and Iconodule are merely undermining their own belief in prima scriptura by arguing with you as they have.

The Orthodox do believe in the authority of Tradition, the life of the Holy Spirit within the Church and the life of the Church guided by the Holy Spirit, which gave birth to the Scriptures and guided their canonization. But just about everything you've said about how Scripture has the highest authority within Tradition, how Tradition is based on Scripture, and how Tradition cannot contradict Scripture is something we Orthodox can and should say about our own approach to Scripture.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:56:36 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2013, 01:07:05 PM »

Happy Lutheran, you're not winning anyone over and you're just running your mouth and, frankly, you are starting to sound like one of my 7th graders.  Why are you on this board?

Yes, it is clear we will not come to agreement. Your insistence to mock and decline to actually address the verses is not convincing.  I have just posted many Scriptures and church fathers quotes and let them speak for themselves; that is running my mouth according to you. This is the Protestant sub-forum; the topic is about the emphasis on the Bible. If I’m not welcome to give my opinion and/or the people and moderators of this site don’t want me to post here anymore, just let me know.
In this case, Happy Lutheran, it seems as if your biggest critics are merely talking past you with no real understanding of what you're trying to say. I'm not sure I understand yet what you are trying to say, but it doesn't seem to me that you're using this thread to argue for sola scriptura. The question is why so much emphasis is placed on the Bible. You're citing Fathers who placed a great emphasis on the Bible (a.k.a. Scriptures). What you've cited could just as well be seen as an apologetic for prima scriptura, the primacy of Scripture within Tradition, as an apologetic for sola scriptura. ISTM that scamandrius and Iconodule are merely undermining their own belief in prima scriptura by arguing with you as they have.

The Orthodox do believe in the authority of Tradition, the life of the Holy Spirit within the Church and the life of the Church guided by the Holy Spirit, which gave birth to the Scriptures and guided their canonization. But just about everything you've said about how Scripture has the highest authority within Tradition, how Tradition is based on Scripture, and how Tradition cannot contradict Scripture is something we Orthodox can and should say about our own approach to Scripture.

I concur with PtA here and I would add that many otherwise earnest Orthodox apologists or polemicists online make it seem as if proof texted Patristic snippets somehow are superior to Scripture. Such an approach often leads many Protestants  to come to the wrong understanding of Holy Tradition.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:07:44 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2013, 03:15:55 PM »

That is not at all what I implied.

Your curious interpretation of "these are written" allows for no other implication.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2013, 03:19:10 PM »

ISTM that scamandrius and Iconodule are merely undermining their own belief in prima scriptura by arguing with you as they have.

I don't recall ever expressing a belief in prima scriptura. The whole division between scripture and tradition is erroneous.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »

ISTM that scamandrius and Iconodule are merely undermining their own belief in prima scriptura by arguing with you as they have.

I don't recall ever expressing a belief in prima scriptura. The whole division between scripture and tradition is erroneous.

Neither was I arguing for such thing.

+1

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2013, 01:25:27 PM »

Neither was I arguing for such thing.

+1
Of course not! But you do appear to have misidentified what Happy Lutheran was arguing for, and that was my point.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: