OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:37:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sobor  (Read 328 times) Average Rating: 0
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: August 22, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »

Being newly received into Orthodoxy, and with the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese holding a Sobor this October, I am curious about what actually goes on during a Sobor.   Can you share your experiences with a Sobor, and describe its purpose?     I have never seen anything like this in Catholicism, where everything seems to be decided by Bishops.  But, a Sobor seems to have delegates from the Bishops, from the priests and from the everyday Church-goer which seems very democratic.
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »

Sobor = Assembly

All churches in ACROD send delegates to their Sobor (aka Assembly) where the delegates vote on things like budgets, policies, et al.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 05:02:09 PM »

Being newly received into Orthodoxy, and with the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese holding a Sobor this October, I am curious about what actually goes on during a Sobor.   Can you share your experiences with a Sobor, and describe its purpose?     I have never seen anything like this in Catholicism, where everything seems to be decided by Bishops.  But, a Sobor seems to have delegates from the Bishops, from the priests and from the everyday Church-goer which seems very democratic.
Orthodox Synods/Assemblies usually have participating laity and lower clergy, as it was at the Ecumenical Councils. 

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »

I'm going as a delegate from my parish to the Ukrainian Orthodox of USA Sobor in October.

They are held every 3 years.  We had an "extraordinary" one day Sobor last year, to elect a new Metropolitan, after ours passed away.

3 years ago was my first Sobor and while it was an exhausting 3 days, it was the most uplifting and exciting 3 days!  Each parish, in good standing, sends two lay delegates and one clergy.

In addition to the regular agenda, review of budget, etc. , each department gives a report - the Youth Ministry, Sisterhood, Ukr. Orthodox League, etc.  Everyone can ask questions, or give comments towards each report...there are special sessions where various topics are discussed.  The delegates can pick and choose which one to attend, that has the greatest impact for them and their parish.

There is of course, Liturgy each morning, and Vespers each evening.  You get to meet with your own bishops, guest hierarchs, clergy and laity.  It's the coolest experience.

I think I smiled the entire 3 days.  I got in to the habit of Liturgy at 7:30 a.m. and Vespers at 6.  I would wake up for days after I got home, expecting to hurry up and get dressed and run to church.  The hotel is located a mere 1/2 mile from the Consistory and church.  

When we return, we schedule a session post-Liturgy one Sunday to share with the rest of the parish what we heard, what we learned, what issues were addressed, what positive changes occurred, etc.

If you can go, I highly recommend it.  You'll be exhausted, but, you'll be ever so much more spiritually uplifted...

I was sooo excited, that I got nicknamed "Khvora" (Sick)...because I was eager to see and hear everything.  Cheesy

If you are Facebook,  you can see my photos from the event here:
https://www.facebook.com/esymonenko/media_set?set=a.1608762015650.89440.1134203461&type=3
and here:
https://www.facebook.com/esymonenko/media_set?set=a.1620418947066.90431.1134203461&type=3

« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:52:27 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:27:20 PM »

Liza, that sounds really cool! If I went, though, I would need several bishops to douse me with holy water to get me out of bed that early.
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 02:50:21 PM »

Yes, this does sound cool!  Maybe one day I will be able to attend.   I like that it creates an openness and a path of communication.  Hopefully the ACROD Sobor will be very fruitful.   We have our new bishop and I am extremely optimistic about our future.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: