OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 04:19:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who was the best Lutheran composer of  church music
J.S. Bach - 5 (45.5%)
Heinrich Schutz - 1 (9.1%)
Johann Hermann Schein - 0 (0%)
Hans Leo Hassler - 0 (0%)
Michael Praetorius - 2 (18.2%)
Georg Philip Telemann - 0 (0%)
Georg Frideric Handel - 3 (27.3%)
Johann Cruger - 0 (0%)
Dietrich Buxtehude - 0 (0%)
Samuel Scheidt - 0 (0%)
Another Bach (besides J.C. Bach) - 0 (0%)
Other (please list) - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 7

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which was the best Lutheran composer of church music  (Read 391 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: August 21, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »

I know we have a lot of Lutherans and former Lutherans on OC.net so I wanted to take a poll as to whom they regard as the best Lutheran composer of church music. Maybe I should have worded it as the best composer of Lutheran church music, though a lot of the works written by these guys could have been used by the Catholics (if they were in Latin).  However, you want to look at, give your top two.  I imagine J.S. Bach would be a runaway favorite so I'm interested to see who might be number two.  ALl of these guys are late Renaissance or Baroque and they are the most famous.  I'm sure there are probably some more modern Lutheran composers like my uncle, David Cherwien, who may be known to a few but not to the greater Lutheran population.  And by church music, I'm talking about good church music, not the happy clappy crap.

My two choices were J.S. Bach and Schutz.  Praetorius and Telemann were also heavy favorites for the # 2 spot.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 11:25:03 PM »

Ein Feste Burg is one of my favorite pieces of Church Music, from any Church.  I think it was written by Martin Luther himself, but the arrangement by Praetorius is just sublime.  Not Lutheran at all, but the Terpsichore is one of my favorite "albums".
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 11:28:53 PM »

Ein Feste Burg is one of my favorite pieces of Church Music, from any Church.  I think it was written by Martin Luther himself, but the arrangement by Praetorius is just sublime.  Not Lutheran at all, but the Terpsichore is one of my favorite "albums".

There was a wedding this past weekend at St. Mary and both the processional and recessional were done with piano music (to the grave disappointment of the chanters). The recessional was Ein Feste Burg.  We chanters just looked at each other like we had mysteriously been transported to a Lutheran church!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 12:55:51 AM »

I would not be anyhow suprised if I heard that someone has already written an akathist to J.S. Bach

Tags: music Lutheranism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: