OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 02:18:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did our view on contraception change?  (Read 498 times) Average Rating: 0
serbknight

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« on: August 21, 2013, 02:40:56 PM »

I hear catholics saying that before 1930,all Christian groups were against contraception. Of course, we are still very much against the Pill since it is an abortifacient( it also screws with women's heath).But with condoms and coitus interruptus, the line seems to have been blurred in the last 50 years. Personally,i support NFP because it is healthy and very effective.But that is for a normal couple.If they are in poverty or in prison,then the coitus interruptus is justified( i dont know where they would get condoms).If they have stds,then condoms are justified.

This is in line with(if not the view of) Holy Orthodoxy today.But back in the 1920s, the greek church strictly forbid birth control and so did Metropolitan Ware's early editions of his book. Does not this change disturb anyone else?I know about the whole "strictness and economy" but 100 years ago did not think economy was valid for this issue. Did our view actually change?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 02:44:07 PM »

NFP is birth control.
Pulling out is birth control.
Condoms are birth control.

I don't care if you are in favor or against, but be consistent.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »

NFP is birth control.

Abstinence is birth control.  Wink

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
serbknight

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »

Uhhh yeah i know it is all birth control...
The pill is banned because it causes abortion and yet it is birth control.Using NPF under normal circumstances was my opinion but is what I see often among orthodox priests today. I was not being dogmatic. I am just saying that our Church used to oppose artificial birth control and now it accepts it for non-egotisitcal reasons. I am trying to find a defense for the catholic accusation. They use it to lump us in with the liberal protestants.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:58:39 PM »

Nope. We got secularized and bybass troubling aspects with economy and/or just ignore them.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 02:59:43 PM »

NFP is birth control.

Abstinence is birth control.  Wink

And yet the same Fathers who said that birth control was evil, even in cases like economic hardship, also considered celibacy (often even within marriage) to be a tremendous virtue and grace.  Huh  Angry

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »

The pill is banned because it causes abortion and yet it is birth control.Using NPF under normal circumstances was my opinion but is what I see often among orthodox priests today. I was not being dogmatic. I am just saying that our Church used to oppose artificial birth control and now it accepts it for non-egotisitcal reasons. I am trying to find a defense for the catholic accusation. They use it to lump us in with the liberal protestants.
Solution for this problem.

1. Go to youtube.
2. Play Dr. Seuss Episcopal mass
3. Play Carnival mass
4. "you were saying...?"

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »

I don't think you are liberal protestants, and I don't think that it is an official teaching of your church that artificial birth control is acceptable.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
serbknight

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »

1. Go to youtube.
3. Play Carnival mass
4. "you were saying...?"

LOL. But as far as the traditionalist catholics are concerned,both us and the liturgical abusers are heretics.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 03:43:53 PM »

1. Go to youtube.
3. Play Carnival mass
4. "you were saying...?"

LOL. But as far as the traditionalist catholics are concerned,both us and the liturgical abusers are heretics.
We're an equal opportunity bunch.  Grin

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
serbknight

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »

I don't think you are liberal protestants, and I don't think that it is an official teaching of your church that artificial birth control is acceptable.

Thanks.Yeah, that is true. It is not an official position.But it is still the most popular position of Orthodox clergy that artificial contraception can be used in desperate situations for non-selfish reasons.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 03:48:17 PM »

1. Go to youtube.
3. Play Carnival mass
4. "you were saying...?"

I may not agree with traditionalist RCs, but I do respect them.  If it weren't for them, the Latin Church would be a bigger version of Episcopalianism.

lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 08:53:37 PM »

I think the bigger criticism is that we're inconsistent in our teaching, with some bishops permitting under certain circumstances, others permitting under even stricter circumstances, and perhaps some not permitting at all. Is this because of genuine ekonomia, secular pressure, or was there never a definitive teaching to begin with? Rome seems convinced that there was, and often holds that over everyone else's heads. I suppose I can respect their consistency, but from what I understand, its not getting through. Do not a majority of Roman Catholics, even though they might only be "nominal," still use some form of contraception?

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: