OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:44:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our parish rabbit  (Read 505 times) Average Rating: 0
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« on: August 21, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »

I mentioned some time ago that my mission parish bought a building back in the spring that had formerly been the home of a Roman Catholic chapel (that last detail is important). We noticed fairly early on that one small rabbit made its home in our yard. We've never seen more than one - that's strange enough in itself. This particular rabbit is small enough that it was likely born this year - we've noticed some growth over the past few months. Last evening when I was at the church I noticed the rabbit sitting in one particular spot. I don't know how long it had been there before I noticed it, but it was there for at least fifteen minutes afterwards. At one point as I walked past, I was scarcely a metre away from it. Now here's what I find fascinating: the spot where the rabbit was sitting was exactly on the spot where there used to be a statue of St Francis of Assisi (likely removed in 2011). Perhaps it was an overactive imagination, but I couldn't help thinking that the rabbit sat there feeling that he was in a safe and protected place even though totally visible to anyone around.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 09:44:33 AM »

Since animals are probably far closer to communion with the Sacred, with God, than the rest of us, it probably DOES recognize a Holy presence there.  Plus, the ground, I'm sure, is blessed and sanctified.

On a distantly related note, have you ever met my friend, Harvey?  Grin

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 09:48:18 AM »

I'm glad you shared this story.  I see in my mind a little bunny, ears back, sitting in the grass next to some bushes just hanging out.  Not saying that's how it was, but that's how I see it in my mind.  I like little rabbits.  Don't like what they leave behind, but one bunny isn't bad.

He probably knew there was something special about that spot.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:48:45 AM by Kerdy » Logged
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »

I was going to make a stupid comment about how your parish planned on cooking the parish hassenpfeffer, but Vamrat is not the sort of guy who eats holy critters.  May the bunny enjoy his time praising his creator at your parish and when he leaves this world behind may he enjoy being chased by the Blessed Guinefort in the sky!
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:59:18 AM »

I was going to make a stupid comment about how your parish planned on cooking the parish hassenpfeffer, but Vamrat is not the sort of guy who eats holy critters.  May the bunny enjoy his time praising his creator at your parish and when he leaves this world behind may he enjoy being chased by the Blessed Guinefort in the sky!

We enjoy interacting with the rabbits that live outside our home.  They have gotten used to us. 

I am sure this little creature feels the love of God who made all things good. 

For me, the existence of rabbits and turtles is proof of God's existence.   
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 12:08:14 PM »

We enjoy interacting with the rabbits that live outside our home.  They have gotten used to us. 

But...what about gerbils and giraffes?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »

I was going to make a stupid comment about how your parish planned on cooking the parish hassenpfeffer, but Vamrat is not the sort of guy who eats holy critters.  May the bunny enjoy his time praising his creator at your parish and when he leaves this world behind may he enjoy being chased by the Blessed Guinefort in the sky!

We enjoy interacting with the rabbits that live outside our home.  They have gotten used to us.  

I had a strange dream that my former pastor was bringing home animals, including giraffes, llamas, and chimpanzees. His backyard was quickly becoming a zoo, and this was his new parish as these animals talked.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:11:21 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 12:19:52 PM »

I was going to make a stupid comment about how your parish planned on cooking the parish hassenpfeffer, but Vamrat is not the sort of guy who eats holy critters.  May the bunny enjoy his time praising his creator at your parish and when he leaves this world behind may he enjoy being chased by the Blessed Guinefort in the sky!

We enjoy interacting with the rabbits that live outside our home.  They have gotten used to us.  

I had a strange dream that my former pastor was bringing home animals, including giraffes, llamas, and chimpanzees. His backyard was quickly becoming a zoo, and this was his new parish as these animals talked.

It wasn't Fr. Noah, was it?

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 12:45:17 PM »

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 01:21:08 PM »

That took longer than I thought it would.  Grin

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »

St. Francis you said? I'm afraid your rabbit is deep into prelest. It's one of those times where urging him to talk to his spiritual father is the safest course of action.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 02:32:17 PM »

St. Francis you said? I'm afraid your rabbit is deep into prelest. It's one of those times where urging him to talk to his spiritual father is the safest course of action.

And that would be.................

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 02:36:22 PM »

Father Elmer (Fudd)...what jurisdiction?  And his kamilavka is a little off.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:37:53 PM by hecma925 » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »

But...did you notice the mandorla?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 02:51:42 PM »

Oh, wow, bathed in the divine...brown light?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 03:22:44 PM »

What can I say??

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 07:05:58 AM »

What can I say??
Mysterion.

elephant
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »

Maybe the elephant is nearby?

Love, elephant
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 10:53:27 PM »

BUWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I literally burst out laughing at this post.  Well done!  laugh

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: