Author Topic: Little Mistake of Emotion  (Read 648 times)

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
Little Mistake of Emotion
« on: November 25, 2013, 06:24:19 PM »
So I've got a soft spot for pretty women, especially ones in need, like single mothers and all that. And I made the mistake of writing a check to some young lady going door to door selling magazines. The thing seems legitimate legally speaking, but their tactics are not that moral. So the pretty young girl seemed to be in need and was trying to make money and I wrote a check for $70 dollars. Well I realised after that I did not have that money in my account and cannot get the money. I called the bank to see about making a stop payment and they charge $25 dollars. I wanted to tell them that their "charge" amounts to usury because if they need to charge anything to stop a check from going through it should be a $5.00 payment at most. I was going to be a bit more frank with them, calling out a certain group that we shall say includes Shakespeare's famous Shylock. But I decided I would just be polite and see what I can do.

In short I cannot get the money to cover the payment and lost the receipt with the companies name on it. I cannot even get the $25 dollars to pay the stop payment because I am out of work. I cannot ask my mom because she cannot really afford that and I'd rather not let her know what I did. I could ask my dad, but he is a bit overly frugal as I have said elsewhere. It is one reason I have such a bad relationship with him. There's another problem if I may ask for prayers. I asked him about taking my mom out for dinner for her birthday and he made a big deal about the cost pretty much, even though money is not a problem with him. I almost told him off, but praised be God I kept my temper and tried to not have anger towards him for his greed and folly. We are all sinners I must remember. But in short I cannot really ask any friends because they do not really have the money to give me and so I guess I am between a rock and a hard spot. Still looking for the receipt.

I am really mad at myself for not listening to my reason but giving in to the emotion of pity, an excess of pity for young woman trying to make a living that made me write a check I really should not have. I suppose it shows a good heart, but a man should be rational and not overly emotional. I feel weak for giving in to pity like that. Not that pity is not good, but giving it to it despite the call of reason. And now the check is either going to bounce or I am going to have to find a way to pay their avaricious fee to stop a payment. I should not have done that when I am not working. I thought it would be covered but realised later it would not. So prayers for the best ending would be best. I know it seems small, but it's going to cause trouble in the future, I know. I'll have to find a way to get the money but it is causing me some stress. I know it's stupid to even give time to these door to door idiots, but like I said I have a soft heart. They seem to be sending pretty young women for these things now. It's worse than pimping. I have more respect for pimps and whores than the companies that do this. At lease prostitutes are often driven by poverty and a bad life, and pimps, well, at least they have a sense of decency by just becoming pimps than respectable pimps in business suits. I blame myself above all else, but I think of all the poor old women with good hearts they likely are cheating, though like I said, legally, it is legitimate. Prayers would be appreciated.

I suppose I will try and talk to the bank, and avoiding all the details I gave you, try to get the fee waived. Just explain I wrote a check and realised I did not have the money there. Maybe they could waive the fee. Keep it short. That or try to find the receipt. Gee, how cold I be so weak to give in to the ploys of a woman! Not like a Roman man should be!
The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
                                                             -Aristotle

Mor Ephrem, section moderator[/b][/color]

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Re: Little Mistake of Emotion
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 07:12:28 PM »
Lord have mercy.

Offline brastaseptim

• Protops├íltis
  • High Elder
  • From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 07:29:29 PM »
Lord, have mercy.
BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
  • Personal Text? We can have personal text?
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 12:38:54 AM »
Lord, have mercy.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:42:47 AM »
Lord have mercy
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Gayle

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:26:05 AM »
Lord have mercy

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:29:43 AM »
I'f it is a fundraiser it might be a few days before the woman sends the check off to be deposited
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:30:18 AM by Hinterlander »