OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 08:53:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting Soon  (Read 421 times) Average Rating: 0
hopeful-christian

Faith: Very new to Orthodox Christianity

« on: August 19, 2013, 07:47:17 PM »

I was raised Christian, and spent much of my childhood and all of my adolescence (from about the age of eight until I was twenty) with a United Methodist minister as my stepfather. When I went to college, I lost my faith entirely, first becoming sort of agnostic, and then looking into different religions, each of which I lost interest in fairly quickly for different reasons. At this point, I became an atheist, and was outright hostile to religion (especially, but not exclusively, Christianity) for a while.

One day I picked up a copy of the Tao Te Ching, and found in it an idea of "god" that I found much more palatable than the one I had learned about when I was younger. A sort of "ultimate reality" and truth where the universe was perfect and everything was alright, and the key was to be at peace. I thought about this daily, and over time, even as I was attempting to improve myself using the tenets of a totally different religion, I found myself becoming less hostile toward Christianity. A little bit under a week ago, I came across a website called ancientfaith.org and started listening to one of the podcasts, called "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy," which went through the differences between Orthodox Christianity and other forms of Christianity as well as other religions. I listened to that entire series and a few episodes from a podcast called "Theological Thinking" and one called "Our Life in Christ." Everything that was being said just kind of "clicked," and I find myself eager to go to church for the first time since I was a child.

I looked into local Orthodox Churches, and there are a couple nearby, so I'm going to start attending services there soon. I don't have a vehicle of my own (long story) but am saving toward one. As soon as I have a vehicle, I'll begin going every Sunday.

I came here because what was said about needing to be a part of the church really struck me, and even though I can't get to the church yet, I wanted to talk to Orthodox Christians, for a few reasons, really. I don't know any Orthodox Christians, and though I've probably met some before, I was never aware of it. I want to learn everything I can before I step in the door, so that I don't feel stupid that first Sunday. I also just want to have a community of people to talk to online, and hopefully feel encouraged by, before and after I start attending the local services.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong area for this. It seemed like the right one, but I could be wrong.
Red A.

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:02:32 PM »

Welcome! My journey here came via ancient faith radio also.
hopeful-christian

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 08:11:47 PM »

Welcome! My journey here came via ancient faith radio also.

Thank you! And I'm glad to hear it. Everything I've heard there has been great, so I think everyone ought to listen to it.  Smiley
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »

Hello and welcome. "Our Life in Christ" was a really good show.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:21:14 PM »

Looks like the right section to me. Welcome.  Smiley

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »

Welcome Smiley

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 08:53:26 PM »

Welcome. May God bless you on your journey.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »

I was raised Christian, and spent much of my childhood and all of my adolescence (from about the age of eight until I was twenty) with a United Methodist minister as my stepfather. When I went to college, I lost my faith entirely, first becoming sort of agnostic, and then looking into different religions, each of which I lost interest in fairly quickly for different reasons. At this point, I became an atheist, and was outright hostile to religion (especially, but not exclusively, Christianity) for a while.

One day I picked up a copy of the Tao Te Ching, and found in it an idea of "god" that I found much more palatable than the one I had learned about when I was younger. A sort of "ultimate reality" and truth where the universe was perfect and everything was alright, and the key was to be at peace. I thought about this daily, and over time, even as I was attempting to improve myself using the tenets of a totally different religion, I found myself becoming less hostile toward Christianity. A little bit under a week ago, I came across a website called ancientfaith.org and started listening to one of the podcasts, called "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy," which went through the differences between Orthodox Christianity and other forms of Christianity as well as other religions. I listened to that entire series and a few episodes from a podcast called "Theological Thinking" and one called "Our Life in Christ." Everything that was being said just kind of "clicked," and I find myself eager to go to church for the first time since I was a child.

I looked into local Orthodox Churches, and there are a couple nearby, so I'm going to start attending services there soon. I don't have a vehicle of my own (long story) but am saving toward one. As soon as I have a vehicle, I'll begin going every Sunday.

I came here because what was said about needing to be a part of the church really struck me, and even though I can't get to the church yet, I wanted to talk to Orthodox Christians, for a few reasons, really. I don't know any Orthodox Christians, and though I've probably met some before, I was never aware of it. I want to learn everything I can before I step in the door, so that I don't feel stupid that first Sunday. I also just want to have a community of people to talk to online, and hopefully feel encouraged by, before and after I start attending the local services.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong area for this. It seemed like the right one, but I could be wrong.

I know the two guys who produce "Our Life in Christ".. They are layman and former Protestants. They hit all the usual big issues in a very approachable way. i highly recommend continuing listening to their pod casts. They have a separate web page from Ancient Faith Radio. Go to the  archives and you will find about 50 one hour pod casts.

www.ourlifeinchrist.com
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:01:28 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »

To the OP, welcome to the forum.   Smiley
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 01:20:36 AM »

Welcome to OC.net.

If possible, email or call the priest, as you can get much more reliable information from him than online with certain cranky people. The anonymous (not to the NSA) internet causes some people to become more arrogant and crazy.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 09:13:07 AM »

Hello and welcome. "Our Life in Christ" was a really good show.
I second that.  Very helpful in breaking down a few hangups I had with my Protestant background when approaching the Church.

lasher

Faith: Searching

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »

I just finished the series on Mary from "My Life in Christ". That's a fantastic podcast.

jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »

Welcome to the forum!  Have you by any chance read "Christ the Eternal Tao" by Hieromonk Damascene?  If not, I would recommend checking it out:

http://sainthermanpress.com/Catalog/Sunrise_of_the_East/Tao_book.htm

A talk given by the author on the subject of his book can be found on Ancient Father Radio here:

http://www.ancientfaith.com/specials/christ_the_eternal_tao
hopeful-christian

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »

Welcome to the forum!  Have you by any chance read "Christ the Eternal Tao" by Hieromonk Damascene?  If not, I would recommend checking it out:

http://sainthermanpress.com/Catalog/Sunrise_of_the_East/Tao_book.htm

A talk given by the author on the subject of his book can be found on Ancient Father Radio here:

http://www.ancientfaith.com/specials/christ_the_eternal_tao

This sounds extremely relevant to me, both from a spiritual and an academic standpoint. Thanks for letting me know it exists.

And to everyone in this thread, thank you so much for the warm welcome! I was afraid I'd say something dumb and somehow make everyone dislike me within my first post, but I guess that'll take time.  Tongue
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: