OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 02:35:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst movie you have ever seen?  (Read 4304 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: August 19, 2013, 07:01:40 PM »

Evil Dead...the reboot 2013.

Utterly disgusting and deplorable. It has been the only film where I wanted to walk out on and wish I did. The brutal dismemberment of the cast, relentless gore...it was all so mind numbing and appaling.

Unfortunately I have developed minor sociopathic tendencies (namely lack of guilt) as of late, which I am in the process of dispelling, but it was just too much for me.

And to think I was so desensitized to grotesqueness, I guess I am not...and thank God for that.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:11:21 PM »

The Blair Witch Project.

Not 'so bad it's good'. Plain baaaaad. Worse, not scary.

The background story is so incredibly well crafted, including pseudo-history/documentaries/support, that I went in with high expectations of a good scare. What a damp squib - and it had nothing to do with the footage quality.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:12:21 PM »

Saturday the 14th, 1981, with Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss.

So horrible I actually had to leave the theater halfway through to avoid losing my popcorn.  Shocked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_the_14th

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:23:11 PM »

That's difficult, because I don't go to the theater much, and so don't find myself feeling the need to sit through a bad movie. If I decide a movie sucks I move on to something else on Netflix. I guess if I had to give one that I hated, but actually watched the whole way through, it'd be Malicious. The best part of the movie was the discovery that the lovely Molly Ringwald had some very nice breasts (what? I was 18 and single... cut me some slack). Other than that watching the movie was agonizing.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:23:23 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
hopeful-christian

Faith: Very new to Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »

I haven't actually seen the whole movie, but Tommy Wiseau's "The Room" is infamously bad.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »

Troll 2.

It may be the worst movie of all time, but it's so bad that it's good. Worth watching over and over with a beer, some pizza, and good friends.

"Nilbog is goblin spelled backwards!!!"

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 09:00:11 PM »

Zeitgeist.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »

I've had the misfortune of wasting a good deal of time viewing many bad movies. But for some reason, Stephen King's "Dreamcatcher" stands out for me as one of the very worst.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 09:56:09 PM »

Andrei Rublev, it's so slow and incomprehensible and even has a weird sex scene.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
peacenprayer

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »

Funny Games.
They break the fourth wall AND rewind the movies to prevent the death of one the antagonists. I was livid.

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 11:25:22 PM »

Napoleon Dynamite.  It took me over 5 hours to get through this monstrosity.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 11:33:27 PM »

I've had the misfortune of wasting a good deal of time viewing many bad movies. But for some reason, Stephen King's "Dreamcatcher" stands out for me as one of the very worst.
I actually felt a little anger just remembering that I had seen this.

I know it falls somewhere in the classic "so bad it's bad" category, but Frogs really was awful.

As for the film I hated with the most pure hatred...Captain Corelli's Mandolin.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 01:52:11 AM »

Off the top of my head, and none of these fit the "so bad it's good" category:

Dune.

Revenge (with Kevin Costner and Anthony Quinn).

Gattaca.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 02:45:48 AM »

A Clockwork Orange.

*barf*
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 03:26:35 AM »

A girl I was dating at the time saw this in the video store and said that she'd heard good things about it. No more than 10 or 15 minutes into it, we turned it off and decided to watch PBS' annual pledge drive instead. Let that sink in.

Seriously, what an awful excuse for a movie.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 03:27:27 AM »

A girl I was dating at the time saw this in the video store and said that she'd heard good things about it. No more than 10 or 15 minutes into it, we turned it off and decided to watch PBS' annual pledge drive instead. Let that sink in.

Seriously, what an awful excuse for a movie.

I didn't watch after just seeing the advertisements.  Appears that was a smart move.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 03:43:21 AM »

Dune.

Revenge (with Kevin Costner and Anthony Quinn).

Gattaca.

More:

Two recent versions of Anna Karenina: the 1997 one with Sophie Marceau and Sean Bean (bland, bland, bland), and, worse, last year's abomination with Keira Knightley and that blond 14-year-old moppet trying to impersonate Vronsky. Ghastly.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:01:33 AM by LBK » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 03:46:08 AM »

The Believers (1987)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092632/?ref_=sr_1

Of course, I watched this R-rated movie as a teenager with an adult uncle who made my presence at the theater legal. Why he took me to waste my time at this movie I'll never know. I guess we were there to watch RoboCop, and this movie, The Believers, was just something more to watch while we were there.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:54:14 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 05:00:40 AM »

Andrei Rublev, it's so slow and incomprehensible and even has a weird sex scene.
Waaa you didn't like it?

But yeah it's slow and loooooooooooooooooooooong, well the version I watched atleast.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 09:57:05 AM »

Maybe not the worst I've ever seen but the worst most recent one: Prestige with Hugh Jackman. About 20 min. into it, I asked my husband, "Do you know what's going on? Are you following this?" We turned it off.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 11:14:45 AM »

A Clockwork Orange.

*barf*
Anthony Burgess hated the film adaptation of A Clockwork Orange and later in life repudiated the book, saying that he wrote it in three weeks because he needed money. American editions of the book excluded the final chapter in which the protaganist/anti-hero decided to end his violent ways because publishers thought American readers wouldn’t like it; the film was based on the redacted American text.

All of that is to say that I didn’t care for the movie despite its cult status and Kubrick pedigree.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:15:26 AM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »

Dune.

I saw this on HBO once and decided to watch it since a few of my friends acted shocked when I said I had never seen it.  They gave me the impression that it was a classic that no one "cool" would go through life without watching and appreciating. 

I am not friends with them anymore. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 12:23:26 PM »

Dark Shadows (2012 - the Burton/Depp version).  An insult to the original ABC 1966-1971 series and its stars, IMHO.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 12:45:13 PM »

"'Til There Was You." I think it was out sometime in the late 1990s. I hardly ever walk out of movies - if it gets bad, I just concentrate on the popcorn - but I walked out of this one halfway through. A would-be comedy with a dull plot, dull acting and no laughs.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »

I will add Avatar into the mix. The movie was just awful.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »

Oh dear, there are soooo many. I think I am somewhere in between "Meet the Spartans" and "Disaster Movie".

The fact that I have actually laughed at something from Friedberg and Seltzer's movies makes me wanna hit myself with a baseball bat.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:35:25 PM by Ansgar » Logged

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 01:51:48 PM »

Prob not the worst but still bad enough for my taste- not an avid movie watcher here- Titanic and Ostrov.
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 01:53:33 PM »

Prob not the worst but still bad enough for my taste- not an avid movie watcher here- Titanic and Ostrov.

You didn't like Ostrov?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 02:01:18 PM »

You didn't like Ostrov?
Not much. The images were nice but the story I think was predictable and falls into so many spiritual cliches all while trying to avoid them or some.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »

Waaa you didn't like it?

But yeah it's slow and loooooooooooooooooooooong, well the version I watched atleast.

The version I saw had really poor subtitles and it was pretty difficult to know what was happening.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 02:41:25 PM »

I know, right? I am so glad you said this! I could only watch about 30 min. I wondered what all the fuss was about. I felt like the boy in "The Emperor's New Clothes."

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »

Utterly disgusting and deplorable. It has been the only film where I wanted to walk out on and wish I did. The brutal dismemberment of the cast, relentless gore...it was all so mind numbing and appaling.

Unfortunately I have developed minor sociopathic tendencies (namely lack of guilt) as of late, which I am in the process of dispelling, but it was just too much for me.

And to think I was so desensitized to grotesqueness, I guess I am not...and thank God for that.
The original "Evil Dead."  Don't know which was worse, the scene where the tree rapes one of the actresses, or the cheering audience.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 04:08:56 PM »

The original "Evil Dead."  Don't know which was worse, the scene where the tree rapes one of the actresses, or the cheering audience.
People actually cheered? Awful. But yeah one of the girls gets raped too but I think people chuckled at the sense of utter disbelief.

The difference here is the original Evil Dead was bit of a joke with the terrible set design it was hardly realistic.

What's more surprising is you going to a movie theater! LOL.

I bet you like Indy Jones with the map sequences showing his travels to different parts of the world.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 04:22:03 PM »

What's more surprising is you going to a movie theater! LOL.

I'm pretty sure that's the only movie he's ever seen, in the theater or at home. Seriously. He's mentioned that anecdote like 3 times that I can remember, and never mentioned another movie.

Though you are definitely providing the lulz in this thread ackronos. Smiley

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
ReturnOrthodoxy

Jurisdiction: Alexandria

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »

Prometheus

Pre-Passion: Let's eat, Jesus!
Post-Passion: Let's eat Jesus!
Fabio Leite
Warned
Archon

The Evil LongSkirt of Oppression is out to Oppress

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 05:16:13 PM »

The Illusionist (1983/4, not sure)

The only film ever I actually stopped watching in the middle. I was a teen then, maybe today my experience of it would be different. At that time though, it stroke me as *the* model for presumptious European brainy self-styled "artsy" movies where vain people think that registering their conturbed souls in images can be called art. It was like watching a spoiled boy brag for half an hour on how intelligent he is.
Said that, there are some art movies that are really artistic. The problem is with this one really. The only thing I feel when I remember this movie is "vergonha alheia". I don't know if there is an English equivalent to that expression, but it means the shame that you feel when you watch a person doing something shameful without noticing the ridiculous of the thing itself, as if you were doing the ridiculous thing yourself. You feel the shame the person should be feeling but is just too clueless to feel it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:18:13 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Go ma minions of modesty!
John of Patmos
Sinful Newbie

Jurisdiction: Greek (not yet catechumen)

Saint Polycarp, my patron

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 05:38:16 PM »

Plan 9 from Outerspace!  Now THAT'S a movie for ya...

Holy Father John Chrysostom, intercede for me!
That map ialmisry posted just makes me want to play Crusader Kings II.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »

Prometheus

Noooooooo! That was awesome.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »

Plan 9 from Outerspace!  Now THAT'S a movie for ya...
I watched it to see the hype. It really wasn't that big of a deal, I've seen worse.

Frankly I found Burton's Ed Wood to be so much better in acting out how Plan 9 got made.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »

We need to talk about Avatar.

Besides the Dances With Wolves/Pochantas story knock-off (and you are kidding yourself if you think Cameron is a good writer), there is a lot of problems at the heart of the story. Much of it is actually racist to some degree.

But you know, much like Titanic, I was caught up in the sweeping grandeur of it all and it was one of the few movies that truly transported me to a world where I could almost touch it.

It was bizarre, but it is a very smooth film and honestly besides its shortcomings, I kinda liked it. Bit of a guilty pleasure.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 05:58:06 PM »

We need to talk about Avatar.

Besides the Dances With Wolves/Pochantas story knock-off (and you are kidding yourself if you think Cameron is a good writer), there is a lot of problems at the heart of the story. Much of it is actually racist to some degree.

But you know, much like Titanic, I was caught up in the sweeping grandeur of it all and it was one of the few movies that truly transported me to a world where I could almost touch it.

It was bizarre, but it is a very smooth film and honestly besides its shortcomings, I kinda liked it. Bit of a guilty pleasure.

This.

-St Silouan the athonite
lord doog

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 06:05:15 PM »

"Superbad" - the only movie where the title accurately describes the quality of film.

Ooh and "The Last Airbender". I could not stand to even go through 15 minutes of that abortion of quality television.

“Many times I spoke, and as a result felt sorry, but I never regretted my silence.”  -Saint Arsenius the Great
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 06:41:49 PM »

I didn't mind The Last Airbender, despite many people saying it sucked. I also really disliked Superbad, despite many people saying it was great.  angel

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 05:08:07 AM »

Prometheus
Honestly the retread of Alien throughout the film made me question if Rid has nothing left in the creative tank. I thought the movie was photographically gorgeous, but that abortion scene was very jarring.

Movies are getting more exploitative and repulsive just for the sake of it rather than adding any value.

Maybe I'm a closet conservative.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 05:08:07 AM »

The rich and poor classes on the ship didn't strike to your commie heart? I'm shocked.

Well the rich ones did get to survive, or atleast some of them did...supposedly in Cameron's view some poors did make it too.

I don't know, I could defend Titanic all day long.

Sure Jack Dawson and Rose's passionate "love" would totally dissipate once they get brought down to reality, but man I sort of have a weakness for chick flicks...good chick flicks that is.

Most expensive chick flick ever made.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: