OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:39:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do we explore space?  (Read 1746 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 02:43:55 PM »

We move.

That's what we do.

Although all the talk about superpopulation and end of resources and water is still just catastrophism, the only long way for humanity lies in space (maybe the oceans for some time more if anyone dares go there).

Maybe when we were told to spread and preach to the whole cosmos, God had a vision a bit clearer about what that meant than those who thought it was the piece of land between the oceans they knew. Our ancestors found out there were other continents, we today know there are other planets, stars and moons. We must go there.

You go.  I'll stay right here, thank you very much  Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »

That's why, because we don't care about our own lives. We are ill, we only want things and experiences that ruin us. Anyway, I love space!

I love space, too.  From right here under my rock.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
davillas

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 02:53:57 PM »

I bought a piece of land on that diamond planet they discovered.  Smiley
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 03:15:24 PM »

I bought a piece of land on that diamond planet they discovered.  Smiley

I've got some beautiful beachfront property in northwestern Mali I'd be happy to sell you! Grin

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »

The more I think about all of this, the more uncertain I am! For example:

"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" - Matt. 25:30

Here "darkness" can also be rendered "space," and we know that NASA is always whining (whining = complaining = crying = "weeping") about their budget. Is this therefore perhaps a prophecy?  Huh

Is there also not a prayer in the Orthodox tradition which says:

"Again we pray that this sacred monastery (or this city). and every monastery, city, town, and every country may be preserved from famine, pestilence, earthquake, flood, fire, the sword, the invasion of aliens, and civil war; that our good and man-loving God may be gracious and favorable, that He may turn away all the wrath stirred up against us, and deliver us from His righteousness which hangeth over us, and have mercy on us."

Sad

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
davillas

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2013, 03:33:32 PM »

"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" - Matt. 25:30

Here "darkness" can also be rendered "space," and we know that NASA is always whining (whining = complaining = crying = "weeping") about their budget. Is this therefore perhaps a prophecy?  Huh

"Again we pray that this sacred monastery (or this city). and every monastery, city, town, and every country may be preserved from famine, pestilence, earthquake, flood, fire, the sword, the invasion of aliens, and civil war; that our good and man-loving God may be gracious and favorable, that He may turn away all the wrath stirred up against us, and deliver us from His righteousness which hangeth over us, and have mercy on us."

Sad

I believe aliens means strangers not ET`s Smiley
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »

Why would strangers invade Pennsylvania?  Huh   Look, I just don't want space aliens sucking my brains out through a straw, that's all!

davillas

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »

Why would strangers invade Pennsylvania?  Huh   Look, I just don't want space aliens sucking my brains out through a straw, that's all!

Think positive, maybe they are wraiths like in Stargate Atlantis and they will only suck your life.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »

Sad  Do you remember the aliens from the movie Mars Attacks? They kept chasing people saying that they wanted to be friends... and then if they got close enough they'd shoot you and vaporize you!

davillas

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2013, 03:53:46 PM »

Sad  Do you remember the aliens from the movie Mars Attacks? They kept chasing people saying that they wanted to be friends... and then if they got close enough they'd shoot you and vaporize you!

Yes, but from what i remember they were the ones having problems with their brains.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2013, 03:58:41 PM »

Sad
Asteriktos, I can't tell you how much I missed gem posts such as these!   laugh

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2013, 04:14:55 PM »

It would totally scare the bejabbers out of me to go on a spacewalk. I'll stay on Earth and use a telescope, thank you please.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »

Sad

I remember being at Vigil one day and the priest was reading this prayer, and included after "invasion of aliens and civil war" almost every conceivable modern problem, including terrorism (by land, sea, and air), biochemical warfare, race riots, cyberterrorism, HIV/AIDS, etc.  Wooo, what a prayer that was! 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2013, 05:05:11 PM »

So we can find more resources to sustain ourselves since those dang Mormons, Indians, and Chinese can't stop birthing babies.
Wow. You really might want to read some of your posts before hitting the submitt button.

BTW, I have struggled with that button quite a bit myself.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »

Meet the NASA scientist devising a starship warp drive

What is a space warp and how can it help?
A space warp works on the principle that you can expand and contract space at any speed. Take a terrestrial analogy. In airports we have moving walkways that help you cover distance quicker than you would otherwise. You are walking along at 3 miles an hour, and then you step onto the walkway. You are still walking at 3 miles an hour, but you are covering the distance much more quickly relative to somebody who isn't on the belt.

What would a starship with warp drive be like?
Imagine an American football, for simplicity, that has a toroidal ring around it attached with pylons. The football is where the crew and robotic systems would be, while the ring would contain exotic matter called negative vacuum energy, a consequence of quantum mechanics. The presence of this toroidal ring of negative vacuum energy is what's required from the math and physics to be able to use the warp trick.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21929300.300-meet-the-nasa-scientist-devising-a-starship-warp-drive.html

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2013, 05:25:15 PM »

Meet the NASA scientist devising a starship warp drive

What is a space warp and how can it help?
A space warp works on the principle that you can expand and contract space at any speed. Take a terrestrial analogy. In airports we have moving walkways that help you cover distance quicker than you would otherwise. You are walking along at 3 miles an hour, and then you step onto the walkway. You are still walking at 3 miles an hour, but you are covering the distance much more quickly relative to somebody who isn't on the belt.

What would a starship with warp drive be like?
Imagine an American football, for simplicity, that has a toroidal ring around it attached with pylons. The football is where the crew and robotic systems would be, while the ring would contain exotic matter called negative vacuum energy, a consequence of quantum mechanics. The presence of this toroidal ring of negative vacuum energy is what's required from the math and physics to be able to use the warp trick.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21929300.300-meet-the-nasa-scientist-devising-a-starship-warp-drive.html
Absolutely, ridiculously, AWESOME!

davillas

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »

Some say his imagination is overpaid. Roll Eyes
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2013, 07:27:17 PM »

Maybe God gave us another planet.

Thank you.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2013, 08:26:08 PM »

...why do we spend so much money looking for life in space when we don't take care of the lives here on earth?
That, is a fantastic question!
I'm so happy we addressed this before continuing.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2013, 08:15:33 AM »

...why do we spend so much money looking for life in space when we don't take care of the lives here on earth?
Probably because it is a false dilemma that really can't be addressed to anyone's satisfaction.  One can say the same thing about anything.  Why did Columbus spend so much time and money searching for the China when that could have been used to better the lives in Europe?  Why did explorers spend so much money looking for the South Pole? or money spent on deep sea exploration? or smart phone technology? or computers? or church buildings? or iconography? or...  Think of all that money that could be used instead to take care of the needy on earth.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:16:19 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »

Probably because it is a false dilemma that really can't be addressed to anyone's satisfaction.  One can say the same thing about anything.  Why did Columbus spend so much time and money searching for the China when that could have been used to better the lives in Europe?  Why did explorers spend so much money looking for the South Pole? or money spent on deep sea exploration? or smart phone technology? or computers? or church buildings? or iconography? or...  Think of all that money that could be used instead to take care of the needy on earth.  Roll Eyes
You don't think these questions haven't been asked and addressed.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »

They have been asked and addressed. Many times over on this forum alone.  But since Kerdy insisted on pressing the point, I felt the need to provide a refresher.  Wink

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:10 AM »

Not some of them at least that I've ever seen/read. Columbus and the other explorers were supported, at least in part, in the interests of the rulers who did it for things like finding sources of materials and goods, expanding influence and empire (recall that both Spain and Portugal and the extension of both countries to both the Americas and Asia) and more.  Those things could be somehow to "better the lives in Europe" or at least some of them. And the larger scale movements like some of the organizations that I mentioned above don't fit in with the general mindset of the late Middle Ages into Renaissance time frame, it seems to me.

How much really was invested in the groups who were attempting to reach the South Pole?  Who would have objected to the funding since much of it was donations of goods or private from what I've read. 

I have read objections to money being spent on church buildings, decorations and such things as chalices and vestments, some of that here on OC.net and people have answered and discussed them. 

Suggestion:  can things like this at least sometimes be a case of "this subject doesn't interest me/I don't like it, so why should it get money/time/effort that could go to something that I do support?"

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2013, 09:22:15 AM »

Neil deGrasse Tyson makes the point often that, whether your interests are economic, educational, or whatever else, it is in the best interest of everyone for us to explore, and I think that can be applied whether we are talking about the depths of the oceans, the forest wilds, or the place we call space. Positive advancement often comes on the heels of a willingness to indulge our natural curiosity to explore the unknown.

I'm not against financing the exploration of the unknown, just not at the expense of financing the problems that are known. Science too often puts the cart ahead of the horse.

Selam

Could you please give some examples of this? 

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2013, 09:27:19 AM »

The issue is though, we don't know what we don't know.  In the course of space exploration, we very well might find or develop technology that can significantly help the lives of people here on earth.  The NASA program has already given us many great technological developments that probably would not have been discovered if it had not been for them.  It is kind of the point of science in general.  To learn more about the world around us and apply that knowledge base to problems that can be solved.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »

Do you all really not understand the meaning and intent behind the question? 

Wow! Cry
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2013, 09:36:40 AM »

Wow! Cry
I could postulate a guess that it was meant for personal reflection on how we should help those around us, but no doubt you will tell us that that is not the meaning and intent behind the question.  Then, as in the breastfeeding thread, you will expect us to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to guess what the meaning and intent was until everyone loses interest.  Tongue

Did I guess right?  Wink

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2013, 09:39:18 AM »

Without studying space, we wouldn't have satellites.  Without those, we wouldn't have much of the communications and connectivity we have today.  I suppose that is a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

In addition there are the weather satellites.  Those have been very good to have for warnings of incoming hurricanes for example.  My mother was a teenager living on Long Island in 1938.  She and a friend walked to high school in a storm in September.  The principal sent them home because it was so bad that officials said it was a hurricane.  This was the one known as the Great New England Hurricane.  But since many people did not know what to expect my mother told me that they came outside in the eye and then the back-wall hit.  The death toll was somewhere between 650 and 800 people with many more injured.  

Now such storms can be tracked and people can be warned.  Those lost to Sandy last year were about 148 and that's from the Caribbean area up to Canada, not just part of the U.S.  

So I'm glad that NASA is there to put up useful satellites and that is a big part of their budget.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2013, 09:42:17 AM »

Wow!
I could postulate a guess that it was meant for personal reflection on how we should help those around us, but no doubt you will tell us that that is not the meaning and intent behind the question.  Then, as in the breastfeeding thread, you will expect us to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to guess what the meaning and intent was until everyone loses interest.  Tongue

Did I guess right?  Wink
Well, you never did figure out the nudity (not nursing) issue after a dozen times of having it explained so Ill just refrain from tossing any pearls here. 

How's this sound...capitalism is evil.  Better? Roll Eyes
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2013, 09:43:12 AM »

Wow! Cry

Perhaps if the OP would expand on it, it might be more clear.  Or the intent could be as The Trisagion has written.  
What do you think is the meaning, please?

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »

Wow!

Did I guess right?  Wink
Well, you never did figure out the nudity (not nursing) issue after a dozen times of having it explained so Ill just refrain from tossing any pearls here. 

LOL, I think you have me confused with Achronos. I don't mind capitalism and I never posted in the breastfeeding thread.  It was closed before I could join in on the fun.  Sad

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2013, 12:39:26 PM »

Wow!

Did I guess right?  Wink

Perhaps. But since you did not make the first post in the thread it is possible that your interpretation is not the one intended by the OP. 
That person would be the one to clarify things, I think.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »

Nothing is more needful and provides more utility than what is useless.

"The poor you will always have with you", said Truth Incarnate once.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »

Huh

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2013, 01:09:05 PM »

The research in pure science (knowledge for knowledge, no technology in mind), the study of non-applied mathematics, the struggle for art that is just beautiful instead of pedagogical, of architecture that is meaningful instead of just useful, not only has resisted the enthropy of time, it forms the vary foundation of all the applied forms of those sciences and techniques.

Love, faith, hope, good, beauty, justice, are all useless things in pragmatical terms. One does not need them to live materially satisfied and even "spiritually" if you blind yourself to them.

There is a spiritual disease the Pagan Greeks called apeirokalia, the lack of perception of what is beautiful. That's an epidemia in our days.

We explore space because it's a beautiful awesome thing to do. And many useful technologies and life improvements come as side-effects from that.

Huh

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2013, 01:13:50 PM »

The research in pure science (knowledge for knowledge, no technology in mind), the study of non-applied mathematics, the struggle for art that is just beautiful instead of pedagogical, of architecture that is meaningful instead of just useful, not only has resisted the enthropy of time, it forms the vary foundation of all the applied forms of those sciences and techniques.

Love, faith, hope, good, beauty, justice, are all useless things in pragmatical terms. One does not need them to live materially satisfied and even "spiritually" if you blind yourself to them.

There is a spiritual disease the Pagan Greeks called apeirokalia, the lack of perception of what is beautiful. That's an epidemia in our days.

We explore space because it's a beautiful awesome thing to do. And many useful technologies and life improvements come as side-effects from that.

Huh
Dude, this is awesome. I think we've been reading the same books.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2013, 02:18:40 PM »

This is precisely what I thought you meant!!  I just wanted to get more than one sentence about it out of you by way of elaboration--for the sake of the beauty of the written word.  Wink Thank you!

Huh

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2013, 09:12:12 PM »

Wow! Cry

Perhaps if the OP would expand on it, it might be more clear.  Or the intent could be as The Trisagion has written.  
What do you think is the meaning, please?

It isn’t that difficult really.  

On Earth, we steal from each other not because he must, but because we want something so we just take it.  Breaking into homes, stealing cars with kids still in them, looting stores because we don’t like a court ruling, etc.  We murder millions of innocent unborn babies every year out of convenience, not medical necessity, but that is the lie we keep telling ourselves.  We wage war and kill each other for money, land, religion, power, or anything which we think will give us something we want, committing genocide and no one cares.  People are raped and tortured for no better reason than, “Because I can”.  We care more for our self than our neighbor and if it doesn’t affect us directly, we don’t care.  Only when we get affected do we say anything.  We let child molesters out of prison for foolish reasons.  And I could go on and on and on…

Few people on this planet give a rip about anyone else.  If live isn’t important here, why are we wasting so much effort to find it elsewhere just so it won’t be important there either?  Or, why is life there more important than life here?  That’s the question(s).

There is nothing "wrong" with space exploration.  It just doesn't make sense if we don't care out life here, and as a species, we don't.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:14:55 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »

Wow!

Did I guess right?  Wink

LOL, I think you have me confused with Achronos. I don't mind capitalism and I never posted in the breastfeeding thread.  It was closed before I could join in on the fun.  Sad

Yet, you felt the need to mention as if you had.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2013, 08:03:22 AM »

Wow!
I could postulate a guess that it was meant for personal reflection on how we should help those around us, but no doubt you will tell us that that is not the meaning and intent behind the question.  Then, as in the breastfeeding thread, you will expect us to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to guess what the meaning and intent was until everyone loses interest.  Tongue

Did I guess right?  Wink

How's this sound...capitalism is evil.  Better? Roll Eyes
LOL, I think you have me confused with Achronos. I don't mind capitalism and I never posted in the breastfeeding thread.  It was closed before I could join in on the fun.  Sad

Probably because I read it and was quite amused by everyone trying to figure out what your supposed question was and every time they came up with what they thought it was, you just told them they were wrong and lambasted them for not reading the thread thoroughly enough and never actually repeated your question so they could address it. Truth be told, I read the whole thread and I couldn't figure out what supposed question you had posed either.  It is ironic that you were so upset that they didn't read the entire thread to look for your question, but you couldn't be bothered enough to go back and read the thread to see if I actually had posted there.  laugh
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:04:26 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2013, 08:06:07 AM »

Wow!
I could postulate a guess that it was meant for personal reflection on how we should help those around us, but no doubt you will tell us that that is not the meaning and intent behind the question.  Then, as in the breastfeeding thread, you will expect us to spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to guess what the meaning and intent was until everyone loses interest.  Tongue

Did I guess right?  Wink

LOL, I think you have me confused with Achronos. I don't mind capitalism and I never posted in the breastfeeding thread.  It was closed before I could join in on the fun.  Sad

Probably because I read it and was quite amused by everyone trying to figure out what your supposed question was and every time they came up with what they thought it was, you just told them they were wrong and lambasted them for not reading the thread thoroughly enough and never actually repeated your question so they could address it. Truth be told, I read the whole thread and I couldn't figure out what supposed question you had posed either.  It is ironic that you were so upset that they didn't read the entire thread to look for your question, but you couldn't be bothered enough to go back and read the thread to see if I actually had posted there.  laugh

Oh well, the modern education system.  What can I say?  If people can't read and comprehend what they read, it isn't my fault or my problem.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2013, 08:08:32 AM »

Wow!

Did I guess right?  Wink

Oh well, the modern education system.  What can I say?  If people can't read and comprehend what they read, it isn't my fault or my problem.
Or the alternative is you didn't actually ask a question but used it as a deflection technique because you knew you lost the argument.

But I suspect this is slightly off topic from space exploration.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2013, 08:18:46 AM »

Wow!

Did I guess right?  Wink

Or the alternative is you didn't actually ask a question but used it as a deflection technique because you knew you lost the argument.

But I suspect this is slightly off topic from space exploration.
You got me.  Guilt as charged. Roll Eyes

Way off topic.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2013, 10:25:02 AM »

I don't think this is a dichotomy and both should be pursued.  As with anything, the motivation is what counts.  If you are feeding the poor to look cool, then some power to you because the end often justifies the means - some starving bloke still gets food in his gut.  But if you are storing up treasures in heaven, more power to you.  If you are exploring space for the unadulterated love of money, then you are in the wrong, but good may still come from it.  Technology can be used for the betterment of man, even if the betterment of a man was the intent.  But if you are doing it for the sake of knowledge and to improve life, then it is very likely that what you accomplish will affect many more lives than just feeding a couple blokes would have done - weather knowledge is the example given most frequently, it seems, and proper forecasting has saved countless lives.  Perhaps that money could have been spent on feeding 10 people who starved but then over the course of a couple hurricane seasons the lives of 1000 are saved that otherwise would have perished without proper forewarning. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:25:59 AM by vamrat » Logged
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan

« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2013, 09:05:13 PM »

WOW ! I love space too! I have seen people wanting alien encounters,and not people in counter.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: