OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 11:15:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do we explore space?  (Read 1698 times) Average Rating: 0
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: August 18, 2013, 12:58:58 AM »

I like dinosaurs.maybe God wanted us to have something to play with;) Also why do we spend so much money looking for life in space when we don't take care of the lives here on earth?
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:06:50 AM »

...why do we spend so much money looking for life in space when we don't take care of the lives here on earth?
That, is a fantastic question!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 02:19:36 AM »

...why do we spend so much money looking for life in space when we don't take care of the lives here on earth?
That, is a question!

Well this is the crazy talk thread.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 02:22:01 AM »

That, is a question!

Well this is the crazy talk thread.
It is indeed! laugh
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 06:43:29 PM »

Wait...wha?  What happened.  The fabric of the time and space continuum has been torn. Shocked
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »

One of the mods must have divided by zero while logging in...
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 06:53:51 PM »

Msgr. B. -- “Our purpose was to glorify the Lord.”

T.M. -- “As a good Catholic, I agree.  But how was Adam to glorify?  By singing praises?  The Heavenly hosts were already doing that, and even a parrot can make unctuous noises.  No, the evidence is right there in Genesis. Adam was told to do something very specific, something before the fall, before Eve, before even being told not to eat the fruit!”

Msgr. B. -- “Let me scan and refresh my ... ah.  I think I see what you refer to. The paragraph in which the Lord has Adam name all the beasts. Is that it? But that's a minor thing. Nobody considers it important.”

T.M. -- “Not important?  The very first request by the Creator of His creation?  The only request that has nothing to do with the repair work of mortality, or rescue from sin? Would such a thing have been mentioned so prominently if the Lord were merely idly curious?”

Msgr. B. -- “Please, I see others queued for questions. Your point is?”

T.M. -- “Only this -- our original purpose clearly was to glorify God by going forth, comprehending, and naming the Creator's works.  Therefore, aren't zoologists crawling through the jungle, struggling to name endangered species before they go extinct, doing holy labor?

“Or take even those camera-bearing probes we have sent to other planets.... What is the first thing we do when awe-inspiring vistas of some faraway moon are transmitted back by our little robot envoys?  Why, we reverently  name the craters, valleys, and other strange beasts discovered out there."

http://davidbrin.blogspot.com/2010/12/is-theology-compatible-with-science.html

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »

We explore space to search for life and just to see what is out there.  Exploration has helped with the invention of new technologies, which help all no matter what their economic level is.  Exploration of space has also helped us in studying weather and predicting tornadoes, hurricanes, and other sorts of weather.  Someday we may manufacture some items in space, such as ball bearings.  When we get advanced enough, we may be able to bring back needed minerals from other worlds.  That is just some of the befits of space exploration.  We do help the poor, but we also budget for the exploration of space and other things.  We are curious creatures.  We like to see what the LORD created under the oceans and what the LORD created in outer space.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:31:26 PM by Gamliel » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 09:02:04 PM »

To boldly go where no man, um, no one, er, no gender neutral, uh, no person, *sigh*, no humanoid, wait, not everyone out there could be human like, sooo, I GOT IT!!!!

To boldly go where no life force, currently know to the human race, from the Planet Earth had gone before.

Aaaaa-AAAAAH- ah-ah-ah-ah-aaaaaaaah...
Wooo-OOoOOOO-oooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooooooooo...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:02:34 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 09:03:21 PM »

That, is a fantastic question!
Still, it IS a good question.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 09:44:46 PM »

Bob Marley: So Much Trouble In The World
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J50IlUVAB0&feature=player_embedded

You see men sailing on their ego trip,
 Blast off on their spaceship,
 Million miles from reality:
 No care for you, no care for me.

Sister Carol: "Lost In Space"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu8Cbnpn4EA

Lost in space, that's why dem lost in space
Dem no have respect for the human race
Burn in space, dem burn in space
Cause dem no have respect for the human race
Dem build space shuttle called the "Challenger"
Dem go up in space dem gonna challenge JAH
Dem fasten seat belt but dem don't say no prayer...

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 09:47:57 PM »

I like dinosaurs.maybe God wanted us to have something to play with;) Also why do we spend so much money looking for life in space when we don't take care of the lives here on earth?

Do you know how much money is actually spent on Space work?   Do you mean money from all the countries involved or just one group such as NASA? 

I do not mean any offense, but this is a false dichotomy; it is not an all or nothing binary situation.  There are people who are taking care of lives here on Earth. There are myriads of men and women who are working to improve health (vaccine research, providing ways of getting fresh water, providing medical care and surgery for some who otherwise would not get it), provide education, bring relief to areas hit with disasters and more.
There is always more to do, it is true.  But things are being done. 
Mercy Ships is one such group http://www.mercyships.org/home/
Doctors without Borders is another http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

One that I found out about just this past week is Watsi.https://watsi.org/faq
"a global crowdfunding platform for healthcare that enables anyone to donate as little as $5 to directly fund life-changing medical care for people in need

And there are many others who do all sorts of different work.  There is room for both Space and Caring.

With respect

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 10:45:28 PM »

I like space. And nebulas Smiley

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 11:05:45 PM »

So we can find more resources to sustain ourselves since those dang Mormons, Indians, and Chinese can't stop birthing babies.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 11:05:45 PM »

Because the corporations need new markets to exploreexploit.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 11:46:28 PM »

Which word sounds cooler, Astronauts or Cosmonauts?

More proof that Russia won the Space Race.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 12:11:31 AM »

Which word sounds cooler, Astronauts or Cosmonauts?

More proof that Russia won the Space Race.

I disagree. Cosmonaut sounds like a mixed alcoholic drink. Astronaut brings to mind images of astrophysics and astrolabes and so forth. Stellar!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 12:17:17 AM »

Precisely!  "It means Star Voyager"

Smiley  Ad Astra...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:18:28 AM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 12:44:05 AM »

So we can find more resources to sustain ourselves since those dang Mormons, Indians, and Chinese can't stop birthing babies.

Better that they reproduce and some others go extinct. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 01:37:07 AM »

Neil deGrasse Tyson makes the point often that, whether your interests are economic, educational, or whatever else, it is in the best interest of everyone for us to explore, and I think that can be applied whether we are talking about the depths of the oceans, the forest wilds, or the place we call space. Positive advancement often comes on the heels of a willingness to indulge our natural curiosity to explore the unknown.
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 01:50:10 AM »

Neil deGrasse Tyson makes the point often that, whether your interests are economic, educational, or whatever else, it is in the best interest of everyone for us to explore, and I think that can be applied whether we are talking about the depths of the oceans, the forest wilds, or the place we call space. Positive advancement often comes on the heels of a willingness to indulge our natural curiosity to explore the unknown.
+++
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 03:37:54 AM »

A better question is why don't we explore space?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My grandmother, the twice-named Efrosinia

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 03:39:55 AM »

A better question is why don't we explore space?

Because it's large, dark, and scary.

Just imagine floating about, several light years from the nearest celestial body, with nothing around you!

Gives me the heebie-jeebies.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:40:02 AM by Hawkeye » Logged

davillas

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 03:47:17 AM »

What is positive advancement ? What is the goal ?
therovingmethodist

Faith: Catecuhmen
Jurisdiction: OCA

A very bad Christian

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 03:58:00 AM »

Because it's THERE.

"One Bishop to rule them all, One Bishop to find them, One Bishop to bring them all and in the darkness bind them"
-Kostac
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 04:17:57 AM »

What is positive advancement ? What is the goal ?

Depends on who you are, I suppose. My goals would be different than those of another.
davillas

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 04:26:44 AM »

Depends on who you are, I suppose. My goals would be different than those of another.

But if this is true ( and i accept it is true ), then there are no such things as the best interest of everyone and positive advancement. That is a religious point of view.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 04:28:08 AM »

I'm not against financing the exploration of the unknown, just not at the expense of financing the problems that are known. Science too often puts the cart ahead of the horse.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
davillas

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2013, 04:55:06 AM »

I`ve been there many times and there is nothing to see.  Smiley

I always had a problem with the materialistic explanation of our universe. "Imagine a balloon expanding".When i ask what is outside of the balloon i am told that there is nothing outside, not even empty space. This is stupid, in order for something to expand, you need an empty space bigger than that object. This is what everyone knows based on our experience.

There is a single place where we can see universes created from absolutely nothing and "balloons" that are able to expand into nothing, not even empty space. And that is computer simulations / computer games. Unfortunately when you think about simulations you will reach the material toll house (our universe is material, the game is not ) . But if you imagine an intelligent observer inside the game then that universe is as real for him as this one is for you.

There is a big problem though. These universes are created and many scientists don`t like the idea of a Creator. Or when they do like the idea they come up with a new age crap theory. Like the one from this movie (starting at 29`:30"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKgUv3yiN9Q
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2013, 06:15:18 AM »

No Hispanics in here?

James where is your bias?!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 06:15:18 AM »

Good old Neil's agenda for NASA to use more of our tax dollars for the program. He just wants his own fantasies assuaged.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 10:22:34 AM »

I`ve been there many times and there is nothing to see.  Smiley

I always had a problem with the materialistic explanation of our universe. "Imagine a balloon expanding".When i ask what is outside of the balloon i am told that there is nothing outside, not even empty space. This is stupid, in order for something to expand, you need an empty space bigger than that object. This is what everyone knows based on our experience.

There is a single place where we can see universes created from absolutely nothing and "balloons" that are able to expand into nothing, not even empty space. And that is computer simulations / computer games. Unfortunately when you think about simulations you will reach the material toll house (our universe is material, the game is not ) . But if you imagine an intelligent observer inside the game then that universe is as real for him as this one is for you.

There is a big problem though. These universes are created and many scientists don`t like the idea of a Creator. Or when they do like the idea they come up with a new age crap theory. Like the one from this movie (starting at 29`:30"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKgUv3yiN9Q

Occasionally I get the chance to look up at the sky with an astronomy club.  I do not own a telescope, but they are nice and let people without a scope look through theirs.  When I look at planets, stars, and novas, I think about what a smart and mighty creator we have to create things like that -- whether via the big bang or 7 literal days I do not know, but however it was done, I know who created them.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »

Good old Neil's agenda for NASA to use more of our tax dollars for the program. He just wants his own fantasies assuaged.

Which fantasies? He has a few. One fantasy is that parents will stop stifling the creativity of their children. That's not going to happen. Another is that the government cut the congressional toilet seat budget by .3% and use that money to double the NASA budget, but that's not gonna happen either. Which fantasy are you thinking of? Or, I guess, fantasies (plural)? Also, I hate the word assuaged. I can't pronounce it properly.

As for earlier posts, which I didn't get to... progress towards... well if you're a businessman then business, if an educator then education, etc. I don't have specifics at my fingertips, like what microchip or alternative fuel source was designed/modified/invented/whatever in this or that case.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »

I don't know.

Seems like a colossal waste of $$ to me.  Oh well....

(We DID get teflon out of the deal though.  What would we do without it?? Roll Eyes)

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »

(We DID get teflon out of the deal though.  What would we do without it?? Roll Eyes)
That is a sticky question. Smiley
Santagranddad
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »

To boldly go where no man, um, no one, er, no gender neutral, uh, no person, *sigh*, no humanoid, wait, not everyone out there could be human like, sooo, I GOT IT!!!!

To boldly go where no life force, currently know to the human race, from the Planet Earth had gone before.

Aaaaa-AAAAAH- ah-ah-ah-ah-aaaaaaaah...
Wooo-OOoOOOO-oooo-ooo-ooo-ooo-ooooooooo...

Not that split infinitive again?  laugh

When mountaineers are asked why they do it, the reply often as not is given, "Because it is there".

Curiosity, national pride and the fear others may gain an advantage if our country isn't in the game, commercial opportunists, etc., etc.
davillas

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »

Occasionally I get the chance to look up at the sky with an astronomy club.  I do not own a telescope, but they are nice and let people without a scope look through theirs.  When I look at planets, stars, and novas, I think about what a smart and mighty creator we have to create things like that -- whether via the big bang or 7 literal days I do not know, but however it was done, I know who created them.

I think we both know Who created them. The problem is what we understand from studying the universe. I mean, if you reach the conclusion that our universe is expanding and there is nothing outside ( not even empty space ), that should be a hint for a transcendent reality where our universe exists as information and where the space outside the universe also exists as potential.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2013, 01:36:53 PM »

Without studying space, we wouldn't have satellites.  Without those, we wouldn't have much of the communications and connectivity we have today.  I suppose that is a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
WPM
Warned
Archon

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2013, 01:46:42 PM »

Because we generally want to see if there is life on other planets and in a distant galaxy
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:47:21 PM by WPM » Logged
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »

I think we both know Who created them. The problem is what we understand from studying the universe. I mean, if you reach the conclusion that our universe is expanding and there is nothing outside ( not even empty space ), that should be a hint for a transcendent reality where our universe exists as information and where the space outside the universe also exists as potential.

This goes well beyond Teflon and Tang, without which the universe would be only all potential.  Wut?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
davillas

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »

This goes well beyond Teflon and Tang, without which the universe would be only all potential.  Wut?

There is no doubt that there is an advancement in technology. But i don`t know if there is an advancement in truth. Today 96% of our universe is made from invisible magical force and mass and physicists are arguing if there are 10 or 11 dimensions. and how the multiverse looks like.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »

There is no doubt that there is an advancement in technology. But i don`t know if there is an advancement in truth. Today 96% of our universe is made from invisible magical force and mass and physicists are arguing if there are 10 or 11 dimensions. and how the multiverse looks like.

I have enough trouble with 3 (or is it 4?) and now they're arguing about 10 or 11?  Oy vey ist mir!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 02:40:20 PM »

We move.

That's what we do.

Although all the talk about superpopulation and end of resources and water is still just catastrophism, the only long way for humanity lies in space (maybe the oceans for some time more if anyone dares go there).

Maybe when we were told to spread and preach to the whole cosmos, God had a vision a bit clearer about what that meant than those who thought it was the piece of land between the oceans they knew. Our ancestors found out there were other continents, we today know there are other planets, stars and moons. We must go there.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 02:42:26 PM »

100,000 applicants for the Mars One project that intends to colonize Mars
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/09/tech/innovation/mars-one-applications

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 02:43:06 PM »

That's why, because we don't care about our own lives. We are ill, we only want things and experiences that ruin us. Anyway, I love space!

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: