OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 05:39:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is blue to a blind person?  (Read 297 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: August 18, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »

Since visual perception*cough*Asteriktos*cough* doesn't exist for them...what is blue?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 04:14:16 PM »

Blue is a label that people use to help make sense of the world. Blue exists for a blind person, they just can't experience it like most. We all have things we don't experience, and we only know about them from others telling us of their own experience.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »

About 475 nm.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 05:42:54 PM »

Da ba dee...

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 11:05:45 PM »

Blue is a label that people use to help make sense of the world. Blue exists for a blind person, they just can't experience it like most. We all have things we don't experience, and we only know about them from others telling us of their own experience.
WRONG

Blue is #0000FF

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »

WRONG

Blue is #0000FF

I know absolutely nothing about blind or blue, so am probably eminently qualified to comment and ask questions  Grin Grin.

First of all, what does #0000FF refer to?

Secondly, a person who was not born blind but was blinded later in life probably knows full well what "blue" is.  A person born blind I imagine would have quite a different experience of the concept "blue".

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 10:42:42 AM »

They tried to experience it, but they blew it.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »

WRONG

Blue is #0000FF

I know absolutely nothing about blind or blue, so am probably eminently qualified to comment and ask questions  Grin Grin.

First of all, what does #0000FF refer to?

Secondly, a person who was not born blind but was blinded later in life probably knows full well what "blue" is.  A person born blind I imagine would have quite a different experience of the concept "blue".
I would guess that a person born blind would have almost no concept of blue, aside from the fact that it is something he/she could not experience. I suppose they would, at best, have apophatic knowledge.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »

If born blind, they would have no concept of blue, red, yellow, etc.

Their world consists of shapes, and envisioning them, highlighted by other sensory input such as sound, smell, texture, etc.

However, if someone explained to them that when they are sad, they feel blue....and that yellow is a happy color....and red represents love, nature is mostly green, etc....they most likely will associate the color (which they have never seen, but, understand it on a deeper level) with an emotion.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 11:11:20 AM »

I saw a special once on a guy who could only see in black and white since birth.  They fitted him with a device that would play sound based on the color spectrum, so if he looked a something that was green, it would play a certain note, blue a different note, etc.   Since there are quite a few shades of each color, it was quite a cacophany of sounds.  It was very distracting for me hearing it, but for him he thought it was wonderful as he could now experience color through a different sense.  It was funny, he said that Prince Charles' face was the best sounding face he had seen.  Cheesy  I don't know how Prince Charles' face is much different than anyone elses, but apparently it is.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:11:58 AM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: