OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 03:06:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I must be pretty naive...  (Read 728 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: August 17, 2013, 05:13:01 PM »

Walking down Carson St the other day I took this picture:

Didn't know Byz Caths used the tri-bar crosses...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »

Why would any non-Russian Greek Catholic use tri-bar cross?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 05:18:36 PM »

Why wouldn't?

Reminds me of a story of some cardinal visiting Kiev (or Chełm, Lvov, doesn't matter) in XVIth century when he entered an Orthodox church by mistake. He didn't see anything wrong about crosses.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »

Sure. Smiley  Onion domes on that church not oniony enough though!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 06:28:36 PM »

I love the tri-bar cross.

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 06:43:49 PM »

I love the tri-bar cross.
As do I. Hope you are well Apotheoun.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 09:08:19 PM »

I find that most Orthodox probably have interacted with more Martians than with Ukrainian or Ruthenian/Rusyn Greek Catholics. They don't have horns, breath fire or belch green projectile vomit.

In fact, for the most part, a non Orthodox Christian (and many Orthodox for matter) would make the same mistake today that the Cardinal that Michal referred to made centuries ago. For example in my city, our Orthodox Church, like many old time OCA, ACROD and UOC buildings, was constructed in the early 20th century and decorated in the iconographic style then popular in Russia and Eastern Europe - westernized. Down the street is the Ruthenian  Greek Catholic Church built in the 1950s and renovated in the 1990s. It is full of three bar crosses, gold domes and  magnificent iconography in a style found in northern Greece through Serbia. No Immaculate Conception, no photos of the Pope.

But looks are deceiving. It remains a Catholic Church in union with the Pope.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »

The 'U' word folks have had a long history of identity confusion.  Just one of the Pope's trojan horses.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 02:25:56 AM »

The 'U' word folks have had a long history of identity confusion.  Just one of the Pope's trojan horses.
I promise, we are not out to eat you all. In fact, quite a few of us want the Catholic Church to learn from the Orthodox Church's preservation of liturgical tradition.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 02:29:20 AM »

I caused an auto accident on E. Carson street about 11 years ago. I haven't drove a car to that part of town since. There were no Catholics to help me that day.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 05:21:29 AM »

I caused an auto accident on E. Carson street about 11 years ago. I haven't drove a car to that part of town since. There were no Catholics to help me that day.
They were all in a trojan horse that day.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 02:36:33 PM »

Why wouldn't?

I thought it's a Russian tradition. Just wondering why non-Russians would adopt Russian traditions.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 02:38:11 PM »

Why wouldn't?

I thought it's a Russian tradition. Just wondering why non-Russians would adopt Russian traditions.

Only Russian? You sure?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 02:50:05 PM »

Why wouldn't?

This cross is also part of Ukrainian and other Eastern European Orthodox traditions.  When some of them went over to Greek Catholicism, they took the cross with them.  Not surprising.  The interior of a Greek Catholic Church is usually indistinguishable from an Orthodox Church unless there are Latinizations.   
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »

I find that most Orthodox probably have interacted with more Martians than with Ukrainian or Ruthenian/Rusyn Greek Catholics. They don't have horns, breath fire or belch green projectile vomit.

In fact, for the most part, a non Orthodox Christian (and many Orthodox for matter) would make the same mistake today that the Cardinal that Michal referred to made centuries ago. For example in my city, our Orthodox Church, like many old time OCA, ACROD and UOC buildings, was constructed in the early 20th century and decorated in the iconographic style then popular in Russia and Eastern Europe - westernized. Down the street is the Ruthenian  Greek Catholic Church built in the 1950s and renovated in the 1990s. It is full of three bar crosses, gold domes and  magnificent iconography in a style found in northern Greece through Serbia. No Immaculate Conception, no photos of the Pope.

But looks are deceiving. It remains a Catholic Church in union with the Pope.

In the case of the BCC church I mentioned, it actually is the three bar crosses that would tip one off to the fact the Church was not Greek, Romanian or Serbian!
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 09:30:39 PM »

Why wouldn't?

The Antiochians in the U.S. — at least the ones I know — do Russian stuff all the time. I'm not just talking about the white people, either.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »

Because the three-bar cross isn't Russian, all the East Slavs use it.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 12:12:35 AM »

Why wouldn't?

Only Russian? You sure?

I do not recall from where I read what I am about to write and I'm interested in feedback, but I thought the 3 bared cross was the traditional Eastern Orthodox Christian cross.  I read that after the Greek revolution of 1833, the principals of the protectorate powers (the United Kingdom, France, and Russia) were dominated by Protestants and to a lesser extent, Roman Catholics, and they encouraged the use of the cross style used by the Western Churches, which carried over to Constantinople, Antioch, and Alexandria.  Even today, manufacturers in Greece frequently use the 3 bared cross on ecclesiastical supplies used in church sanctuaries, i.e. such as the censer, the paten and chalice, candelabra, etc. (Those powers with Protestant influence also pushed the Church of Greece to declare "autocephaly," likewise, and they encouraged the Western influence in Greek iconography of that era.)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:26:22 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 12:36:36 AM »

The Antiochians in the U.S. — at least the ones I know — do Russian stuff all the time. I'm not just talking about the white people, either.

Smiley

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 01:04:38 AM »

Why wouldn't?

Only Russian? You sure?

I do not recall from where I read what I am about to write and I'm interested in feedback, but I thought the 3 bared cross was the traditional Eastern Orthodox Christian cross.  I read that after the Greek revolution of 1833, the principals of the protectorate powers (the United Kingdom, France, and Russia) were dominated by Protestants and to a lesser extent, Roman Catholics, and they encouraged the use of the cross style used by the Western Churches, which carried over to Constantinople, Antioch, and Alexandria.  Even today, manufacturers in Greece frequently use the 3 bared cross on ecclesiastical supplies used in church sanctuaries, i.e. such as the censer, the paten and chalice, candelabra, etc. (Those powers with Protestant influence also pushed the Church of Greece to declare "autocephaly," likewise, and they encouraged the Western influence in Greek iconography of that era.)

1. The Greek Revolution dates from 1821, not 1833.   police

2. The cross known as the Greek cross looks like a plus sign, with all arms of equal length. It also features on the old post-independence Greek flag (a square flag of a white cross on a blue field), and on the present-day national flag which bears the stripes as well as the cross in the upper left corner. The Roman cross, of shorter horizontal arms on a longer vertical, greatly predates the emergence of protestantism, and, IIRC, was in use in the earliest post-toleration period.

3. Greek manufacturers of church paraphernalia cater for non-Greek customers outside of Greece, including Slavic parishes and monasteries in the diaspora. The three-bar cross is also seen often enough in the northern Greek provinces, where Slavic influences have colored many cultural practices, including spoken dialects, baptismal names, and church praxis.

Even where I live, there is a Greek church whose interior was fully painted with icons about 25 years ago. The iconographers were three brothers from Thessaloniki. In the mural icon of the Resurrection, an angel is seen flying above Christ, holding a cross. A three-bar Slavic cross.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: