OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 01:13:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Map Shows Every Person in America  (Read 698 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: August 17, 2013, 03:58:01 PM »

Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person
http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/index.html

Might load slow for some of you guys.

Blue = White
Green = Black
Red = Asian
Orange = Hispanic
Brown = Other Race / Native American/ Multi-racial

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 04:02:45 PM »

Zooming into the cities shows how truly segregated our cities are. It's sad...

But that's what suburban sprawl does... It segregates people by race and by income.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 04:02:57 PM »

Nice. My area is wall-to-wall-white-people. I hadn't noticed  Tongue

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »

Now if they could only have the same map, but by income level and somehow incorporate the two.
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »

Manhattan around Greenwich Village, Lower Manhattan, Union Square, Chelsea and the Upper East Side looks pretty diverse and integrated. Same for Hoboken, NJ.

Interestingly, NYC was one of the first places where Americans really became integrated (by income and race) in the early 1900s, which fell apart quickly once the rich started moving into "suburbs". Which, at the time, would have been around Central Park and the parts of Queens, and Brooklyn closest to the East River. Though back then the suburbs were still considered urban by today's standards, just not as many tenements.

It's funny though how the slums and tenements of the time are now the exact places that are becoming most integrated and successful within Manhattan.
Nikolaostheservant
Warned
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 07:23:43 PM »

I want to find/see the dot that represents me.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 07:40:20 PM »

I found my dot!  I'm waving!  Can you see me?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »

I found my dot!  I'm waving!  Can you see me?

Wait one minute, please, while I put my spectacles on.  Wink
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »

I'm having trouble finding my dot. It should be a blue dot next to another blue dot for my wife next to two red dots for our daughters. If anyone spots it let me know.  Grin

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
WPM
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 09:43:32 PM »

Cool I'm in Granbury,TX 35 minutes away from the DFW Metro area.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 11:55:18 AM »

Cool I'm in Granbury,TX 35 minutes away from the DFW Metro area.

I'm nowhere near there, but my spot is where you claim yours to be.  The map is obviously fraudulent (or compiled by the NSA.)

What happens when people go to work or come home or just go out?  How's the map track THAT, eh??  Wait...there I am in my car going to Granbury, TX, about 2,000 miles or so from where I claim to be!  Huh?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 11:57:49 AM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »

Would it show me if it was made on one of those days I was in the US?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:24 AM »

This thread is a complete disappointment so far since there are no maps from Isa.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 09:48:24 AM »

My dot is in the wrong place.  This map is wrong!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 09:50:15 AM »

From what I can tell, ALL the dots are in the wrong places.  This has all the hallmarks of a government scandal.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 09:51:08 AM »

With all the spying going on for the last 12 years, you'd think they'd have more reliable information  police

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 09:53:21 AM »

With all the spying going on for the last 12 years, you'd think they'd have more reliable information  police

This IS the government we're talkin' 'bout, remember??  police

TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »

From what I can tell, ALL the dots are in the wrong places.  This has all the hallmarks of a government scandal.
The news media needs to be alerted immediately!

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 01:54:27 PM »

My dot is in the wrong place.  This map is wrong!

From what I can tell, ALL the dots are in the wrong places.  This has all the hallmarks of a government scandal.

Oh they know. An intern who is sleeping with a high-ranking senator overhead a discussion with a slush fund manager about the problem, and that intern told their cousin, who happens to be the girlfriend of a producer at a Fox TV affiliate in Winchester VA, and the girlfriend told the producer immediately upon finding out. The producer then told the station manager, who told his favorite news anchor, who then "researched and verified" the story using an anonymous blog based out of Washington DC. Story at 11!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:55:26 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 02:16:12 PM »

My dot is in the wrong place.  This map is wrong!

From what I can tell, ALL the dots are in the wrong places.  This has all the hallmarks of a government scandal.

Oh they know. An intern who is sleeping with a high-ranking senator overhead a discussion with a slush fund manager about the problem, and that intern told their cousin, who happens to be the girlfriend of a producer at a Fox TV affiliate in Winchester VA, and the girlfriend told the producer immediately upon finding out. The producer then told the station manager, who told his favorite news anchor, who then "researched and verified" the story using an anonymous blog based out of Washington DC. Story at 11!

I have it on good authority that the intern who is sleeping with that high-ranking senator (who is asleep most of the time anyway) is also having a sexual affair with the favorite news anchor of the station manager at the Fox TV affiliate in Winchester VA.  Talk about multi-tasking! Grin Grin

TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 02:20:34 PM »

This map is ridiculous.  I was in my living room when the census person came around, yet they show me standing in my bedroom.  Why would I be in my bedroom talking to a census taker?!?!

Amateurs...  Angry

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 02:33:20 PM »

This map is ridiculous.  I was in my living room when the census person came around, yet they show me standing in my bedroom.  Why would I be in my bedroom talking to a census taker?!?!

Good question.  Does your wife know about this little incident?

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »

I remember the census.  I wrote how many people lived in my house and returned it.  Lots a blank spots they didn't need.
Mrs. Jord

Faith: Catholic marrying Orthodox

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 08:48:57 PM »

Awesome find!  I tried to find where I was on the map at the time, but there's no way.  I can't zoom in as much as I'd need to; the neighborhood I was living in was too dense.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 09:01:30 PM »

Its interesting, the more you zoom in, the less blue you see. 
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 11:48:30 PM »

True. I'd heard Dayton, Ohio (it's a small city) was pretty segregated, but looks like it actually is. I heard that the city (or the state) forcibly moved people, which contributed to the segregation here apparently.

Town I just moved away from had a couple densely black neighborhoods, but I already knew that by living there.

Liberalochian: Ecumenism Lite™
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 11:50:59 PM »

True. I'd heard Dayton, Ohio (it's a small city) was pretty segregated, but looks like it actually is. I heard that the city (or the state) forcibly moved people, which contributed to the segregation here apparently.

Town I just moved away from had a couple densely black neighborhoods, but I already knew that by living there.

I am confused.  Is the insinuation that blacks are overly racist for living in the same communities as other blacks and not allowing whites or others to live there peaceably?
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 11:57:14 PM »

I am confused.  Is the insinuation that blacks are overly racist for living in the same communities as other blacks and not allowing whites or others to live there peaceably?

No. Just that various factors, e.g. economic or forced relocation, contributed to them living in ethnic ghettos.

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 11:58:25 PM »

I am confused.  Is the insinuation that blacks are overly racist for living in the same communities as other blacks and not allowing whites or others to live there peaceably?

No. Just that various factors, e.g. economic or forced relocation, contributed to them living in ethnic ghettos.

Did economic and forced relocation contribute to Asians, Hispanics, whites, etc., living in their ghettos?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:59:37 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 12:08:48 AM »

Did economic and forced relocation contribute to Asians and whites living in their ghettos?

Some Asians have been forcibly relocated (e.g. WWII), and I'm sure there are poor Asian communities in places. So I'd say yes, even if the ghettos didn't form because of the same factors of other ethnic ghettos.

Either way, part of "ethnic ghettos" is the community being an ethnic minority in the region. I certainly wouldn't consider the places that whites here live in a ghetto, considering they're the large majority. Maybe someone else is more familiar with the places in the US where whites are a minority and if they have ghettos.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:10:52 AM by Nephi » Logged

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2013, 12:23:36 AM »

Did economic and forced relocation contribute to Asians and whites living in their ghettos?

Some Asians have been forcibly relocated (e.g. WWII), and I'm sure there are poor Asian communities in places. So I'd say yes, even if the ghettos didn't form because of the same factors of other ethnic ghettos.

Either way, part of "ethnic ghettos" is the community being an ethnic minority in the region. I certainly wouldn't consider the places that whites here live in a ghetto, considering they're the large majority. Maybe someone else is more familiar with the places in the US where whites are a minority and if they have ghettos.

I suspected white folks were evil all along.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:23:54 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: