OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:14:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The rule to be reconciled with your brother when communing  (Read 349 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: August 16, 2013, 11:10:13 PM »

Does this apply to other Orthodox Christians or to everyone? Can I have an enemy who is a Baptist, for example?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:33:25 PM »

You already answered your question. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:36:33 PM »

We are to love our enemy, and that means being reconciled with them, and not wishing them evil.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 11:38:58 PM »

We are to love our enemy, and that means being reconciled with them, and not wishing them evil.

But we can still be enemies with them, right? And one-up them and such?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:49:10 PM »

We try, for our part, to not have enmity toward others. If they have enmity toward us, we pray for them and love them.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 12:17:08 AM »

We try, for our part, to not have enmity toward others. If they have enmity toward us, we pray for them and love them.

But if someone punches you in the gut and insults your wife's honor, if they come by the next day and ask to borrow your lawnmower you don't have to allow them, right?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »

But if someone punches you in the gut and insults your wife's honor, if they come by the next day and ask to borrow your lawnmower you don't have to allow them, right?

Well, if they got out of jail for assaulting your wife and committing battery on you, then lending him a lawnmower is at your discretion.  But you don't have to hate him.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:40:54 AM by hecma925 » Logged

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 07:00:50 PM »

Heh, a baptist should not be your enemy.... Good grief, there are people who want to kill Christians.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 07:18:53 PM »

That's when you say: "Brother, God is laying it on my heart to pray an akathist together before you borrow it"  Smiley  Well, or something like that... you heard "kill em with kindness," so I guess this is more like "kill em with piety"  Cool
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:19:08 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

I would strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Fr Seraphim Rose.
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »

What about people you can't reconcile with? Like within the limitations of time and space can't reconcile with? There are people who I am no longer in contact with etc. who I cannot reconcile with. Should I talk to a Priest about that? Not as if I am going to commune soon or anything, I am not even a member of the Church.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:10:48 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

“We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.” (Chris Hedges)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »

Heh, a baptist should not be your enemy.... Good grief, there are people who want to kill Christians.

Where did Baptists come from in this thread?

Some Baptists I reckon, would not count Copts as Christians.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 09:38:59 PM »

What about people you can't reconcile with? Like within the limitations of time and space can't reconcile with? There are people who I am no longer in contact with etc. who I cannot reconcile with. Should I talk to a Priest about that? Not as if I am going to commune soon or anything, I am not even a member of the Church.

You can reconcile from your end by loving them, praying for them, not wishing the evil. That is, I think, what reconciliation mostly is. If the other person comes to feel the same way, it's a bonus.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: