OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 10:56:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are atheists mentally ill?  (Read 900 times) Average Rating: 0
Dpaula
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian w/ Romanian background
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: August 16, 2013, 11:20:16 AM »

I found this article pretty interesting and it definitely made sense to me. I'm not sure I agree that atheists are really mentally ill, but I can understand how and why they end up with all kinds of problems.

http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/63476.htm

Not posting anymore due to the rudeness on this site.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »

The last paragraph was pretty funny.

Otherwise the wording of this article is embarrassing and downright shameful.  It is one thing to publish your theories and the evidence thereof in a report, it is another to be rude about it.

And this came from an Orthodox site?  Lord have Mercy.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:29:40 AM by pmpn8rGPT » Logged

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:33:50 AM »

I'm starting to believe all this stuff about Atheists being smarter when I read articles like that

Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 11:37:28 AM »

Funny. I thought you guys will enjoy it.
I did.

Am I missing something?

pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:39:48 AM »

I did.

Am I missing something?
Is it the atheists, who live short, selfish, stunted little lives – often childless – before they approach hopeless death in despair, and their worthless corpses are chucked in a trench (or, if they are wrong, they go to Hell)?

Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 11:45:56 AM »

I mean, sure, very descriptive, but certainly not a lie (at least in most cases I know).

They do live their lives carelessly which leads to all kinds of problems. I've been there for awhile.

Nikolaostheservant
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »

"Therefore, being an atheist – lacking the vital faculty of faith – should be seen as an affliction, and a tragic deficiency: something akin to blindness. Which makes Richard Dawkins the intellectual equivalent of an amputee, furiously waving his stumps in the air, boasting that he has no hands. "

ha ha haaaa.
pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 12:08:56 PM »

I mean, sure, very descriptive, but certainly not a lie (at least in most cases I know).

They do live their lives carelessly which leads to all kinds of problems. I've been there for awhile.
Aside from the fact that there are many Christians who also live selfish and probably worthless lives, it is an awful generalization to make.

No one has the right to play God and decide someone's worth.  

And this language does not inspire humility, it inspires hatred, which is something that all Christians should not participate in.  Not even the title was very good for a Christian to write.  I also have a difficult time imagining that it would help bring an atheist closer to Christ.

Again, there is a way to write your theories and the evidence to support it without being rude and hateful.

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 12:12:04 PM »

No, atheists are not mentally ill, and the thing about them living "selfish, stunted little lives" is incredibly generalising.

There are several countries, where a great part (if not the majority) of the population is atheist and who leads perfectly normal lives.  

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »

FatherGiryus who is a poster here has written a response to the article on his blog: http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.ro/2013/08/is-atheism-form-of-mental-illness.html

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 01:21:46 PM »

No, mental illness is not associated with Atheism.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:23:54 PM by WPM » Logged
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »

Depends on what brand of Atheism.

Is it the militant Atheist brand that doesn't listen to anybody but themselves?

Or is it the soft Atheist brand that simply feels disenfranchised in belief in a god?

I think the former is definitely "mentally ill".

I saw a debate between David Silverman and James White.

Silverman was the Atheist, and the topic was on "Is the New Testament Evil?" and his entire argument was based on the Augustinian understanding of "Original Sin".

I don't know how he gets the New Testament (written in the first century) to equate with Augustinianism, which St. Augustine wrote in the 4th century.  Huh

Seems like mental illness to me.

Here's the debate:

Notice the comments from Atheists who think Silverman just proved the New Testament is evil. Obviously not realizing he just proved medieval Augustinianism wrong.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:37:41 PM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »

I think people are overly sensitive. Or maybe I have thicker skin. Not sure.

I know for a fact that when I decided to not believe in the existence of God, I allowed myself to do all kind of crazy stuff because in my mind there were no consequences and no one to hold me responsible. From one bad choice to another, worse and worse, until I was so lost and my mind was so confused, I had to fall down on my knees and ask for Love. I can see so many changes in my life. I just feel better, overall.

All I'm saying is that I agree....living a life where you really don't care about what's going to happen after you die, can lead to multiple issues, and if they get bad enough, your mental health will definitely be affected.
I'm not saying atheist are atheists because they are mentally ill. I'm saying atheists can end up having mental problems.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 01:51:30 PM »

Anybody can be or become mentally ill.

Anybody, believer or not, can end up having mental problems.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 01:52:19 PM »

I know for a fact that when I decided to not believe in the existence of God, I allowed myself to do all kind of crazy stuff because in my mind there were no consequences and no one to hold me responsible. From one bad choice to another, worse and worse, until I was so lost and my mind was so confused, I had to fall down on my knees and ask for Love. I can see so many changes in my life. I just feel better, overall.

All I'm saying is that I agree....living a life where you really don't care about what's going to happen after you die, can lead to multiple issues, and if they get bad enough, your mental health will definitely be affected.
I'm not saying atheist are atheists because they are mentally ill. I'm saying atheists can end up having mental problems.

I don't care what happens after I die. What I care about as a believer, is giving value to something that is living.

If we assume we are just here as useless, statistically improbable organisms, why should I care about foreign wars, about the environment, about the poor? If they have no intrinsic value, why should I care?

It's because I care about those things that I cannot throw away God who is my only throwback to sanity.

Whatever the Almighty has in store for me in the afterlife is fine by me, He created me, I think He knows what to do with me.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 01:56:02 PM »

So can religious people, unfortunately.

There are lots of factors involved in mental illness. While faith should theoretically make people more optimistic and enable them to cope better with all sorts of hardships, religiosity can also conceal a lot of bitterness and frustration. Sometimes I feel that people with all sorts of psychological or even psychiatric issues flock to churches...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:58:16 PM by Romaios » Logged
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 02:00:57 PM »

Ok.
Who is more likely to end up with mental problems?

Believers or Atheists?

Wasn't this what the whole article was about?

Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »

I don't care what happens after I die. What I care about as a believer, is giving value to something that is living.

If we assume we are just here as useless, statistically improbable organisms, why should I care about foreign wars, about the environment, about the poor? If they have no intrinsic value, why should I care?

It's because I care about those things that I cannot throw away God who is my only throwback to sanity.

Whatever the Almighty has in store for me in the afterlife is fine by me, He created me, I think He knows what to do with me.

I do care what happens to my life after death. That's why I make the conscious choice of living by Thy will. I want Light, Love, Truth for eternity.
Unfortunately, I know people who don't care about anything but themselves, and that's because they think YOLO ( isn't this the new life theme thing? ? ? ?) Tattoos all over, drugs, alcohol, sex and so on. Who has time to pray for our brothers in Christ from Egypt? They got themselves to worry about enough. Funny enough, all these people "have no God" and "they are their own God".
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 02:13:41 PM by Dpaula » Logged

Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 02:14:30 PM »

Ok.

Believers or Atheists?

Let's not forget that an unshaken, pure and Orthodox faith is a rarity even among believers. Ascetics often find themselves on the brink of the abyss - without the right spiritual guidance, they can easily end up deluded or even mentally ill.  

I'd say there's no unequivocal correlation between religious faith and mental sanity.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 02:20:26 PM »

I don't know about religion/atheism and mental health or mental problems. I have thought that it seemed impossible to me that atheists could circumvent the (in)famous "Maslow's hierarchy of needs" like Christian monastics can. But that's perhaps dealing with exceptional cases.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »

Ok.

Believers or Atheists?

I'd say there's no unequivocal correlation between religious faith and mental sanity.

I understand Smiley

It did the trick for me though Smiley

After my experience, I actually advise people going through tough times to ask God for help. It works Smiley

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 03:17:25 PM »

Ok.

Believers or Atheists?

I understand Smiley

After my experience, I actually advise people going through tough times to ask God for help. It works Smiley

I don't know what your experience was, but "going through tough times" isn't always the same as being mentally ill.  Will asking God for help if you actively disbelieve in Him "work"?  Now...ITSM  that if you didn't believe in God, but wanted to believe in God, or even wanted to want to...that would be entirely different. 

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
davillas

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 03:35:28 PM »

I don`t believe they are mentally ill. If you read the Bible you will see that one of the main themes there is the "hardened hearts". I believe this is what is happening with a lot of atheists ( and many times even with religious people ). Without a humble heart one cannot have a clear mind.
Sadly this "mentally ill" thing will be used sometimes in the future against religious people ( at least this is what i think seeing what happens now ). There are already " studies " made by "scientists" to discover what is wrong with our brain. They don`t say it yet but they surely believe that something is wrong with our brains. I can`t wait to hear Christians telling other Christians that they don`t understand how science works.

http://www.irtiqa-blog.com/2008/02/belief-in-god-nature-or-nurture.html

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 04:28:59 PM »

I usually go with a Wikipedia article:www.wikipedia.com
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 04:32:05 PM »

I usually go with a Wikipedia article:www.wikipedia.com

Really deep down, I don't believe there are any Atheists.  Oh, they claim it and shout it from the highest tree, but I cant bring myself to believe there is a 100% true blue Atheist.  But, what do I know.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 04:33:54 PM »

This means that a certain belief or non belief will cause mental illness?  Naaaaa.............. 
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »

This means that a certain belief or non belief will cause mental illness?  Naaaaa.............. 

No.  It does not mean "that a certain belief or non belief will cause mental illness".  It means that one can be mentally ill regardless of whether or not one is a believer.  Or, have I misunderstood you?

JoeS2
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 04:49:25 PM »

No.  It does not mean "that a certain belief or non belief will cause mental illness".  It means that one can be mentally ill regardless of whether or not one is a believer.  Or, have I misunderstood you?

I think I am saying the same thing only differently.  Having or not having a belief system doesn't cause mental illness.  I hope this explains my post.
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »

Ok.

Believers or Atheists?

I understand Smiley

I don't know what your experience was, but "going through tough times" isn't always the same as being mentally ill.  Will asking God for help if you actively disbelieve in Him "work"?  Now...ITSM  that if you didn't believe in God, but wanted to believe in God, or even wanted to want to...that would be entirely different. 

Going through hard times and not addressing the issues, can potentially lead to depression, suicidal thoughts and so on, correct? Going through hard times can push one to ask for psychiatric help, yes? I'm not sure what you understand by "mentally ill", but to me having any kind of mental discomfort, tension, stress...is being mentally ill. So my question remains. Are atheists prone to having such issues?
I just know that "having Faith" helps me cope with A LOT. It makes everything mean something. There's a purpose I live for. It changed my life. I feel lighter, like some pressure has been lifted off my shoulders. Maybe for somebody that never had problems with their Faith, this sounds weird, but for someone rediscovering God in His fullness, it means everything.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 11:49:50 PM »

I was told by a teacher that I was leagues above everyone else in a class I took where everyone else was atheist. I don't really buy the "atheists are smart" idea.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2013, 02:24:30 AM »

I did.

Am I missing something?
Is it the atheists, who live short, selfish, stunted little lives – often childless – before they approach hopeless death in despair, and their worthless corpses are chucked in a trench (or, if they are wrong, they go to Hell)?

Well, the only thing inaccurate about that is that Madalyn Murray O'Hair had offspring.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2013, 02:47:41 AM »

Are atheists mentally ill?

I would say they are spiritually ill.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2013, 09:57:23 AM »

I think that was more like what the article was meaning.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 10:19:43 AM »

The Soviets regarded and treated believers as mentally ill, sending them to special psychiatric units and 'treating' them with anti-psychotic drugs but not the drugs that counter the very severe adverse effects.

Do we wish to ape them by typing them as mentally ill, which more often than not means applying a social construct with little evidence of the validity of such a construct?

If they have an issue it is a spiritual deficit, surely?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »

The Soviets regarded and treated believers as mentally ill, sending them to special psychiatric units and 'treating' them with anti-psychotic drugs but not the drugs that counter the very severe adverse effects.

Do we wish to ape them by typing them as mentally ill, which more often than not means applying a social construct with little evidence of the validity of such a construct?

If they have an issue it is a spiritual deficit, surely?

I don't think the article is concerned with modern psychology when it speaks of "mental illness." The illness and healing of the psyche means something different to those speaking from an Orthodox theological perspective.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »

No, just in denial.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »

About 2,000 years ago, the LORD said that He came for the sick, so in a way the atheists are mentally ill, but so are the rest of us.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »

About 2,000 years ago, the LORD said that He came for the sick, so in a way the atheists are mentally ill, but so are the rest of us.

Yes and yes.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: