OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 09:11:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with my son who is definitely having separation anxiety  (Read 287 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: August 14, 2013, 09:23:42 PM »

Sorry with all the questions of late.

My wife and I are both returning to work now as we have had the summer off since we're both teachers.  My son has been with at least one us pretty much every minute of day during these past two months and my wife and I have really enjoyed the time with him.  And so has he, but now that he's gone back to daycare for only four days, it seems like we're going to have a major struggle.  When we drop him off and leave, he starts crying...a lot.  Whenever he wakes up from a nap and sees that neither of us is there, he starts crying.  When our daycare provider (who has five other children there, ages 6 mos--3 years) steps out of the room for a few seconds, he starts crying uncontrollably.  It's only been four days, but it's really starting to bother us and though this has not been brought up at all, my wife is worried that our daycare provider, should this continue, may ask us not to bring him, which just can't work since we can't just take time off to get this under wraps.

How have you dealt with this?  What are some solutions?  Our provider suggested that on the weekends, my son should stay for maybe an hour or two with friends.  THe problem is that it's almost impossible to get any of our friends to do this (even though we've watched their kids on countless occasions).

Many thanks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:50:27 PM »

I've worked at a nursery. Little ones crying like that is normal, any caregiver worth her salt will handle it just fine. Most kids will go all out with crying for a bit after mom and dad leave then calm down, and crying after waking and not seeing you is OK, too. My big 3 year old still wakes up crying for me after naps. Undecided

The best thing I can offer is don't sneak off while he isn't looking at drop-off time. It just makes them think you disappeared and freaks them out even more. Do you have other family nearby possibly to let him spend a while there? Is he around other same aged children often?

Trust me, in another few weeks he will like going to daycare once he gets settled in the routine and realizes that every day you do indeed come back for him.

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: