Author Topic: Status of Eastern Orthodox Bible (EOB) Old Testament?  (Read 3117 times)

Offline Cyprian09

• St. Cyprian of Carthage, pray for me
Status of Eastern Orthodox Bible (EOB) Old Testament?
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:14:44 PM »
Does anyone have any information on whether the Eastern Orthodox Bible (EOB) project is still in the works, or has it been permanently shelved? The website (orthodoxanswers.org) is still up and running, but has not been updated in more than a year. Most Orthodox Christians use the Orthodox Study Bible (OSB) as their translation of choice. While some impressive names are attached to the OSB, and with due acknowledgment being given to its many strengths, the NKJV New Testament and a watered-down "Septuagint" translation have been problematic for some - including myself. I was most impressed with the EOB New Testament (translated from the 1904 text authorized by the ecumenical patriarchate), but am starting to believe that the Septuagint Old Testament will never materialize. The aforementioned website promised publication of the entire Bible as far back as 2009. Perhaps this is due to the OSB's popularity, lack of support/ translators for an alternative effort, or some combination of both. If anyone can provide any illumination on whether the EOB is still in progress, as also any other Orthodox-produced versions of the entire Bible, I would be most appreciative.

Offline Laird

• Elder
  • Lord have mercy
Re: Status of Eastern Orthodox Bible (EOB) Old Testament?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 03:04:05 AM »
I would like to know too. It's a great Orthodox translation.
"Do not deceive yourself with idle hopes that in the world to come you will find life if you have not tried to find it in this present world." - Theophanis the Monk

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 09:32:52 AM »
What is the root reason why a project like that hasn't been completed?

Too many Orthodox view it as unnecessary?
Too difficult to coordinate Orthodox scholars from various places?
Lack of funds to support project?

Do converts have an elevated interest in projects like that stemming from some of their residual Protestant values?

I'm really just curious - no condemnation here.

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »
A full Orthodox translation of the Septuagint, in the style of the KJV, can be found online here: http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/zot.htm

The last I heard, it was supposed to be printed by St. Innocent Press early this year.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 09:40:10 AM »
What is the root reason why a project like that hasn't been completed?

Too many Orthodox view it as unnecessary?
Too difficult to coordinate Orthodox scholars from various places?
Lack of funds to support project?

Do converts have an elevated interest in projects like that stemming from some of their residual Protestant values?

I'm really just curious - no condemnation here.

I think the basic problem is there are too many people doing the same basic project. There is the OSB, the Peter Papoutsis translation, the Holy Apostles New Testament, the EOB, the Michael Asser translation- not to mention the many different Psalter translations. These are generally small scale efforts involving one person or a handful of people, with perhaps some approval from a bishop or two but no official ecclesiastic sanction. We do not currently have the administrative coherence/ unity to oversee such a project in a unified way.

There is of course nothing especially Protestant about wanting a complete, readable, usable Orthodox bible in English.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."

Offline Alpo

• Dirty Finn
  • Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »
AFAIK historically speaking the Orthodox have not been interested in having vernacular translations of the Bible. IIRC the first Russian translation was conducted by some Protestants.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline zekarja

• High Elder
  • O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »
A severe error in the OSB is its treatment of LXX Psalm 22:

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over."

Seeing as this psalm is a Eucharistic psalm used in preparing for Communion, how do they justify this? If they are that sloppy in a well known passage, what else have they followed the MT in?

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 04:17:32 PM »

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over."

Seeing as this psalm is a Eucharistic psalm used in preparing for Communion, how do they justify this? If they are that sloppy in a well known passage, what else have they followed the MT in?
How would you translate it?
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline zekarja

• High Elder
  • O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 04:31:16 PM »

How would you translate it?

I would translate it according to the LXX and not according to the Masoretic Text.

HTM Psalter: "Thy cup which filleth me, how excellent it is!"
St Tikhon's Seminary Press: "and most excellent is Thy Cup which brings me joy!"
Agpeya.org: "Your cup makes me drunk like power."
Brenton's LXX: "and thy cup cheers me like the best wine."
Publican's Prayer Book: "Your chalice which fills me, how glorious it is!"

It is amazing that this pre-Communion Psalm was ignored in the OSB's correcting of the NKJV OT to the Septuagint.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:40:52 PM by zekarja »

Offline Incognito777

• Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »
The KJV is better than the NKJV and all modern translations.

Offline Jude1:3

• I Believe The Apostles'/Nicene Creed
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 01:05:42 AM »
   I would like to know if anyone knows the status of the EOB Old Testament. I've been genuinely looking forward to the translation. I have the EOB New Testament.

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 10:23:56 PM »
According to  orthodoxanswers.org the project was on hiatus from 2012 to 2015 but is now resumed. They say a revised version of St. Philaret's catechism will be released this year.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 11:02:48 PM »
So, once there's finally an EO Bible, are other translations going to be official discouraged from use? Is it that official?
Is that what they teach you at the temple volnutt-stein?

Actually, it's Volnutt-berg.

Rome doesn't care. Rome is actually very cool guy.

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 10:18:03 AM »
No. There's nothing really official about this at all. As far as I can tell, it's chiefly the work of one priest (Fr. Laurent Cleenewerck). This has some disadvantages as the work seems to bear a few of his personal idiosyncrasies.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 11:11:14 AM »
No. There's nothing really official about this at all. As far as I can tell, it's chiefly the work of one priest (Fr. Laurent Cleenewerck). This has some disadvantages as the work seems to bear a few of his personal idiosyncrasies.

Such as?

No translated work is done in a vacuum, so they all bear to some extent a mark of their makers, but are these examples more overt -- i.e. does it equate to a Bible "corrected" to "Orthodox" thought?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:11:35 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 11:33:11 AM »

Such as?

Rendering "episkopos" as "overseer", but using "presbyter" for "presbyteros." An appendix in the end explaining why all bishops should be called successors of Peter instead of successors of the apostles.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »

Such as?

Rendering "episkopos" as "overseer", but using "presbyter" for "presbyteros." An appendix in the end explaining why all bishops should be called successors of Peter instead of successors of the apostles.

Ah, thanks.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Indocern

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 12:10:04 PM »
Does anyone have any information on whether the Eastern Orthodox Bible (EOB) project is still in the works, or has it been permanently shelved? The website (orthodoxanswers.org) is still up and running, but has not been updated in more than a year. Most Orthodox Christians use the Orthodox Study Bible (OSB) as their translation of choice. While some impressive names are attached to the OSB, and with due acknowledgment being given to its many strengths, the NKJV New Testament and a watered-down "Septuagint" translation have been problematic for some - including myself. I was most impressed with the EOB New Testament (translated from the 1904 text authorized by the ecumenical patriarchate), but am starting to believe that the Septuagint Old Testament will never materialize. The aforementioned website promised publication of the entire Bible as far back as 2009. Perhaps this is due to the OSB's popularity, lack of support/ translators for an alternative effort, or some combination of both. If anyone can provide any illumination on whether the EOB is still in progress, as also any other Orthodox-produced versions of the entire Bible, I would be most appreciative.

Eastern Orthodox Bible is for eastern orthodox countries, you must read KJV if you speak English.

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 12:16:29 PM »
That's true, all the Anglophone Orthodox bishops have come out in favor of KJV-onlyism, as seen the latest encyclical by Metropolitan Jack Chick.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• ʿalayhi al-salām
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 01:32:46 PM »
That's true, all the Anglophone Orthodox bishops have come out in favor of KJV-onlyism, as seen the latest encyclical by Metropolitan Jack Iakovos Chick.
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »
That's true, all the Anglophone Orthodox bishops have come out in favor of KJV-onlyism, as seen the latest encyclical by Metropolitan Jack Iakovos (Chick).

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 02:32:38 PM »
I would translate it according to the LXX....

HTM Psalter: "Thy cup which filleth me, how excellent it is!"
St Tikhon's Seminary Press: "and most excellent is Thy Cup which brings me joy!"
Agpeya.org: "Your cup makes me drunk like power."
Brenton's LXX: "and thy cup cheers me like the best wine."
Publican's Prayer Book: "Your chalice which fills me, how glorious it is!"
Does anyone here know Greek?
ἡτοίμασας ἐνώπιόν μου τράπεζαν ἐξ ἐναντίας τῶν θλιβόντων με ἐλίπανας ἐν ἐλαίῳ τὴν κεφαλήν μου καὶ τὸ ποτήριόν σου μεθύσκον ὡς κράτιστον

1757 Slavonic version:
Уготовал еси предо мною трапезу сопротив стужающым мне: умастил еси елеом главу мою, и чаша твоя упоявающи мя, яко державна.

Prepared before me a table against my opponents: anointed with oil my head, and your chalice satisfy/fill me as an authority.

My translation into English from Slavonic!

word for word:
чаша твоя упоявающи мя, яко державна
chalice yours filling/satisfying me, as/like a power
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:38:06 PM by rakovsky »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of the South
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2016, 04:48:45 AM »
That's true, all the Anglophone Orthodox bishops have come out in favor of KJV-onlyism, as seen the latest encyclical by Metropolitan Jack Iakovos (Chick)Ιάκωβος νεοσσός.
Pray for us, Your Eminence!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:53:15 AM by hecma925 »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline peacenprayer

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Canadian
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 07:02:30 AM »
Ugh. Lord, have mercy on us English speaking Orthodox :(
"...I'm just a simple dude."
~Finn the Human