OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 10:57:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As married people, do you and your spouse ever...  (Read 1288 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: August 12, 2013, 06:09:27 PM »

Hey y'all,

So do any y'all who are married ever read scripture together, such as reading the daily lectionary or a Bible study or something?  Seems like this is a Protestant endeavor, but not necessarily un-Orthodox.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 06:19:10 PM »

Yes, my husband and I read the daily scriptures as recommended by the Church.

We read and sometimes discuss the Epistle and Gospel for the day.
Sometimes we read the footnotes as provided by the Orthodox Study Bible.
Every Sunday we read from St. Gregory Palamas: The Homilies as St. Gregory offers great explanations in his homilies.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 06:19:49 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:03:11 PM »

We try to read the same NT readings and a portion from the Evergetinos every day. We'll occasionally discuss what we read, but nothing systematic in the way you seem to be asking about. But for those who want/can, it certainly doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 07:08:37 PM »

When I was married and we were both Orthodox we tried to do this, with varying degrees of success. Reading the same passages sometimes led to some good conversations though.
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:32:06 PM »

Reading the Bible to gather is allways good
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 10:39:27 PM »

My s-o and I say our prayers and read scriptures together when I'm not working. Don't most couples?

Proverbs 22:7
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:42:33 PM »

My s-o and I say our prayers and read scriptures together when I'm not working. Don't most couples?

I don't think my parents ever pray together.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 10:58:19 PM »

Not in the same way we did before I became Orthodox.  Sometimes we pray together, most often over a meal.  She helps when I do bible study with our children.  I'm hoping to soon put a prayer corner back up (hopefully in our room) and start using a prayer boom together.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 11:24:15 PM »

Before we were married, my wife and I tried to do a couple of prayers together and, well, it just didn't work. She's Methodist and I'm Orthodox.  And I've found that even for Orthodox couples, a lot of them don't pray together.  A friend who is a priest says he never prays with his wife (I think mainly because he has a stricter and longer rule).

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 12:30:29 AM »

I don't know if it's quite what your looking for but my wife and read and pray with our daughters. Every night we do the Epistle and Gospel readings, to be fair we have an app and listen to them on my smart phone along with a Saint's story. Then we read (actually read Grin) a Psalm and another Saint's story and a quote from a Saint. (we have a calendar from Church.) Then we say prayers .

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 03:39:13 AM »

I'm hoping to soon put a prayer corner back up (hopefully in our room) and start using a prayer boom together.
(I hope I don't regret asking this) What's a prayer "prayer boom"?

Proverbs 22:7
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 04:12:03 AM »

I'm hoping to soon put a prayer corner back up (hopefully in our room) and start using a prayer boom together.
(I hope I don't regret asking this) What's a prayer "prayer boom"?
Room.  It was supposed to be room, not boom.  Sorry for the confusion.

By the way, did a little rearranging and the prayer corner is going up as I type.  Neato burrito!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 09:47:56 AM »

When my wife and I were really involved in our nondenominational church, we did a daily devotional (book-based, a page a day with a few verses of Scripture).  After a while, that kind of disappeared.  Now, trying to bring that back with a more Orthodox perspective, we read the daily lectionary (I pull it up on my phone) and discuss.  Also, we listen to Abbot Tryphon's Morning Offering podcast (He's abbot of All-merciful Saviour monastery[ROCOR]).  It's great because the readings are short and we can discuss and the podcast is a relevant and quick (no more than 4-5 minutes).  To me, it's great progress for me and my wife when several months ago I know I would have never been able to suggest to my wife "Hey, wanna listen to an Orthodox podcast?"

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »

Sometimes the GF and I pray together.  I have read to her from the Bible a few times.  They are all kinda new stories to her which is nice (and sad, a bit too). 
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 03:31:01 PM »

Thanks for the nice replies, y'all.  I was thinking of just reading the daily lectionary (Epistle/Gospel) and maybe a short life of the saint from that day.  I'd also be interested in maybe having some notes handy just in case we come across any Scripture than required explaining.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »

Just to add--I think it's a great idea if you can do it; I mean if it is a good fit for both people. We're supposed to learn from and apply Scripture, after all, so having someone to not only discuss practical applications with, but also maybe hold you accountable, that sounds like it could work, so long as people stay realistic.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »

s-o?

SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 04:01:00 PM »

s-o?

significant other.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 09:00:37 PM »

I'm not married, but that sounds very weird to me. Then again, I'm not used to practicing my religion with my family since they're not Orthodox.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »

I'm not married, but that sounds very weird to me. Then again, I'm not used to practicing my religion with my family since they're not Orthodox.

While I wouldn't say it is weird, it can be a bit awkward as you figure out what "works" for a couple (or a family) rather than for one or the other of its constituents.   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 09:28:59 PM »

It doesn't sound strange to me, but then I am probably assuming 1) that they are each readers, 2) that they read the Bible regularly already, and 3) that they talk to each other about their faith. If all those are in place, it just seems natural to experiment and see if combining them would work. Smiley
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 10:53:10 PM »

I'm engaged and it also sounds a little strange to me as well.

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 11:20:06 PM »

I agree it can  awkward anytime your modifying what you've done to accommodate someone else. But we adapt and soon enough it will become awkward to do anything else.

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: