OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 07:39:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are pastors still pastors after divorce?  (Read 1013 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: August 12, 2013, 03:35:43 AM »

In the Orthodox churches, if a married priest is divorced by his wife or divorces his wife, he is laicized.  What happens to a Presbyterian or Lutheran pastor if he/she divorces/gets divorced?  Does that person remain clergy?  Why/ why not?

This is for all Protestants, not just Lutherans and Presbyterians.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:36:32 AM by scamandrius » Logged

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 06:51:44 AM »

Baptists can continue if they wish.  Some do, some don't.  Some remarry and keep pastoring.  I always thought that odd.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:13:33 AM »

I only saw it once, so I don't know if it was the norm:  A pastor divorce because of adultery and stepped down.  A while later (a year?  I don't remember) , was remarried and pastoring a church in a different state, same Pentecostal.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:14:11 AM by hecma925 » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 01:30:12 PM »

In the Orthodox churches, if a married priest is divorced by his wife or divorces his wife, he is laicized. 

What? Who told you that?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »

In the Orthodox churches, if a married priest is divorced by his wife or divorces his wife, he is laicized.  What happens to a Presbyterian or Lutheran pastor if he/she divorces/gets divorced?  Does that person remain clergy?  Why/ why not?

News to me, whether I agree with it or not.

It would also come as a surprise to His Holiness

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:14:54 PM »

In the Orthodox churches, if a married priest is divorced by his wife or divorces his wife, he is laicized. 

What? Who told you that?

It's not canon law as far as I know, but an established practice.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:17:37 PM »

Or to his beatitude

It's not canon law as far as I know, but an established practice.

Established where?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:20:49 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 03:51:56 PM »

News to me, whether I agree with it or not.

Neocæsarea 8 requires a clergyman to divorce his adulterous wife in order to remain in good standing. So, divorce itself does not necessitate deposition. There are many clergy who divorce their wives and remain clergy. Hundreds in Russia and Romania, for sure. Theoretically, they only remain clergy if the ecclesiastical court finds them to be the innocent party in the divorce. It is forbidden for them to remarry, though -- at least officially.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »

If we haven't already, we'll probably soon hear of exceptions, where divorced Orthodox priests continued to serve as priests. My guess is this would happen if the wife was unfaithful or something.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 08:47:17 PM »

What? Who told you that?

Ah, here we go. The prologue.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »

Baptists can continue if they wish.  Some do, some don't.  Some remarry and keep pastoring.  I always thought that odd.

Different people interpret the scriptures on divorce differently, but many hold that divorce is permitted if a spouse is unfaithful, or refuses to live with the Christian because he or she is a Christian. The innocent party is not held guilty, neither is (s)he required to divorce the unfaithful spouse, but merely has the scriptural right to, if (s)he wishes.

We do not have a doctrine of priesthood and laity, therefore a pastor cannot become lay or non-priestly, but is a pastor by reason of his appointment to that position. It's his function, not his ontology. If he is the innocent party in a divorce, there is no moral or other compelling reason why he should resign or be dismissed. However, he might possibly feel it right to resign, for the sake of the honour of the church, as pastors are required in the pastoral epistles to manage their households well, and clearly he has not achieved this, and in order to deflect malicious ill-informed gossip by outsiders or (worse) by church members.

If he is the guilty party, he should indeed resign or be dismissed, but I see no reason why he should not become a pastor again later, perhaps after some years, if there is strong enough reason to believe in his repentance and reformation. After all, the apostle Peter was reinstated, though not after the same offence.

As regards denominations, I do not know how it is in the USA, but here in Britain men become often pastors in a denomination other than their own, if the pastor and the congregation sense a oneness of mind and spirit, so that men might move without difficulty between Baptist, Congregational, independent Evangelical, or Pentecostal churches. (Many Congregational churches have adopted believers' baptism, or a man might accept a call to a pastorate with the understanding that he would not himself 'baptise' infants, but would not try to obstruct such a ceremony being performed by a visiting Congregational minister if the parents so wished.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:54:20 PM by David Young » Logged

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
orthodox4life

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »

On this same line of discussion, what if a wife leaves her husband for another man? Can he remarry and become a priest or remain in the priesthood?

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 03:18:12 PM »

On this same line of discussion, what if a wife leaves her husband for another man? Can he remarry and become a priest or remain in the priesthood?
Keeping to traditions and canons, no, not if he remarries.

orthodox4life

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 03:19:46 PM »

That's what I thought. It just seems unfortunate that the person who was abandoned suffer for someone else's choices.

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 03:26:44 PM »

I know pastors in protestant circles who had open girlfriends while married. Also, my mother-in-law is a "pastor" (United Methodist) and she has been married 3 times.

It's a crazy world out there...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:28:49 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »

What? Who told you that?

I've heard about it. IIRC my former parish has a former deacon who was laicized because of divorce. He's still does some youth ministry though.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:14:04 PM by Alpo » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 06:55:31 AM »

I know pastors in protestant circles who had open girlfriends while married. Also, my mother-in-law is a "pastor" (United Methodist) and she has been married 3 times.

It's a crazy world out there...

That's pretty good.  My grandmother was a Pentecostal "pastor", but she was only married twice.  My aunt is currently also a "pastor" but she is with her one and only husband.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 02:39:09 PM »

What? Who told you that?

I've heard about it. IIRC my former parish has a former deacon who was laicized because of divorce. He's still does some youth ministry though.

Our former primate was divorced. I know one deacon who is divorced too and keeps serving.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:55:03 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 03:35:05 PM »

What? Who told you that?

Our former primate was divorced. I know one deacon who is divorced too and keeps serving.

*shrugs* Good for them. Basically every bishop can apply canons as he seems fit.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: