OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 02:47:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trees falling, water rising, and animals everywhere....  (Read 609 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: August 07, 2013, 02:49:31 PM »

LOL!  What could I possibly mean by all that?

Well, that's kind of been my life these last couple of months.

One of my beloved old oak trees passed away last year.  It was the one that had the perfect horizontal limb that we used to hang a swing from when I was a kid.  It's now good and dry and cracking.  I fear letting anyone walk beneath it because huge limbs come down when you least expect it.  I was almost hoping that the last wind storm would bring it down...but, it only managed to crack it up the middle...so, it's even less stable.

The week that I took off from work to teach Vacation Bible School, it rained incessantly.  Inches of water/hour.  Mid-week, when I was running out the door, I stopped dead in my tracks because I could "smell" water.  My sump pump had failed (maybe days earlier) and there was a slick of water everywhere.

I ordered a dumpster that very day....it arrived the next day and I began to haul everything up the stairs, through the garage and in to the dumpster.  I stopped "looking" because than my sentimentality would kick in....and just pitched it all.  This was a few weeks ago, right during the 90-100 degree heat wave.  It was hard, wet, tiring work.

While the dumpster was still there, I thought I ought to see if there's anything to pitch from the shed in the backyard....  Fighting my way through all the mosquitoes in the 99 degree heat, I opened the door and almost fainted.  I had a family of raccoons taking up residence there.  They had made holes in the roof, which had allowed water to come in....everything was wet, everything was pooped on....and everything was shredded.  They ate all the colored bulbs off my Christmas lights.  Nothing but green shredded cables left.  All my decorations, everything is ruined.  I had to actually take a rake and rake the kasha out!  There wasn't a single box that was recognizable....and the ammonia from their poop stung my eyes so bad that I had to constantly take breaks.....AND as I had mentioned somewhere on the forum already, the whole time they were sitting up in the rafters sleeping, with their tales hanging over.  Plus, there were mice in there. I opened what was left of a box of dishes we had stored in there, to find a mama mouse and her 6 tweens come squeaking out.

So, now the "repair" portion begins.  I'm leaving the shed as is, for now.  It's not the priority.  I have a number of contractors coming out in the next few days to take a look at the basement, which has finally dried out.  There's a long horizontal crack in one of the cinder block walls, plus when it rains hard, the water still seeps in through the blocks.  I have a temporary emergency pump lowered in to the basin, and am going to get a plumber to come out and fix that.

I've had water in the basement for years by that one wall.  Last year I lugged over 600lbs of dirt to that side of the house, to raise the elevation....and it had helped....but, not for long.

I am usually good at doing household repairs, and try to do as much as I can myself, but, these things have been beyond my scope of expertise....and I am depending on strangers to do a good job.

What I am asking....does anyone have any advice....what to look for.....what to ask.....?  I've never, ever had to have the basement/foundation repaired and wouldn't know a good contractor from a bad one, until after they are done and water either still comes in or not.

LOL!  FYI for the next couple of weeks I will be married!  Feel free to congratulate me.  Smiley  Yes....already when one contractor was out for an estimate on the tree ($1,000 for that one tree to be removed), he was taking down my address, phone number....and needed to know if I had a spouse.  What difference does that make?

Since I have been "taken" more than once by repairmen, this time around, I am claiming to have a spouse....who unfortunately is out of town this week, but, will be returning any day.  I still need to pick out a manly name for him.

I appreciate your prayers that all goes well, and doesn't end up costing me an arm and a leg!  I am afraid that it will cost a lot to get the foundation fixed.   Mostly, I wish to not be "taken" by some greedy contractor out to make a buck....and that they fix it, and fix it well.

I'm just feeling a bit frustrated because even though I've been doing my research, I don't know what to expect from these contractors.  Do I want them to dig all around the outside and reseal? ...or is it not necessary?  Do I want them to drill weep holes in the walls (I've been doing my reading)...but, why would I want holes in the walls?  Do I want them to just do a quick job and hope it will be good enough?

So, if anyone has had this done, let me know what they did, and if it's been effective. 

Thanks for listening....now back to your regular scheduled programming.  Cheesy

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 03:12:40 PM »

Lord have mercy.

For a man's name, tell them that your live-in boyfriend is Jesse, or Chris, or even Jesus (pronounced the Spanish way). In a sense, you are engaged to Christ as you remain unmarried.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SolEX01
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:23:46 PM »

Lord have mercy on your handmaiden.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »

Good idea on the names.  "Rocky" is a good one, too.  Grin

As for the work on your house, have you consulted a structural engineer?  Sometimes they tend to be more reputable and honest than your run of the mill "contractor".  They might charge more, too, though.  What you DO. NOT. WANT. is water in your basement and your foundation being compromised. 

Ask the contractors if they're registered with the Better Business Bureau.  If not, you might still be able to look on the BBB website to see what complaints, if any, and of what nature have been reported to them.  Worth the effort.  Check their licenses.

Have you had the tree work done?  The cost of that depends on what's going on, what you want done, where the tree is, how difficult or easy it is to remove the limbs and wood once cut, if you want to keep the wood or not, how high in the tree the guys have to go, and who is doing it.  If you haven't already had the work done, get Bartlett Tree Experts to come out (no charge!) for a comprehensive assessment and quote.  They're excellent!  But...they might not be the cheapest.

Shoot the 'coon's and make some nice hats.  (Didn't we already have that conversation  Grin?)

Hope that helps some.

Good luck!

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 03:29:06 PM »

LOL!  FYI for the next couple of weeks I will be married!  Feel free to congratulate me.  Smiley  Yes....already when one contractor was out for an estimate on the tree ($1,000 for that one tree to be removed), he was taking down my address, phone number....and needed to know if I had a spouse.  What difference does that make?

Since I have been "taken" more than once by repairmen, this time around, I am claiming to have a spouse....who unfortunately is out of town this week, but, will be returning any day.  I still need to pick out a manly name for him.

Geert. That's a proper Dutch name.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »

Soooo.....just to prove my point....and the reason for a two week "marriage" of convenience.

The tree trimmers came out today to give me an estimate.  There's the huge dead oak in the back, the maple that has a huge split down the middle, a hazelnut that's just somehow became too close to the house, and the 5 foot tree trunk of a tree that I cut down to keep raccoons off my roof, that needs to be cut at ground level.  (It was narrower at the 5 ft mark than at ground level...that's why I cut it that high - with an old fashioned saw!)  Smiley

So, they come out.  Son and dad.  Walk around...show me where I have problems that I didn't even see.  It seems my entire maple has to come down because the split has damaged it....and it they leave the other half up, it will be tilted precariously and one day fall on the house.  Sad They noticed a few other sickly trees, and that the stand of maples in the front need to be thinned....

After touring my yard, they retreat to their truck to come up with a quote.

I know it will be in the thousands.  I had an estimate for the oak tree alone last year and it was $1,200....just to remove that one dead tree.

So, he comes back out and takes me again on a trip around my yard to show me what they will do....and he comes up with a price of......are you ready.....?

$3,950.   (Grabbing on to the split maple to stay upright.)

....but, I know it has to get done.

He says they will be out 7 a.m. tomorrow.  I told him okay, but, I need to confirm it with them later today.  He asks why.  I tell him because I don't want to get yelled at because it's a lot of money. 

He asks, "Who is going to yell at you?"

I tell him outright, "my hubby."  Wink  ....whom I have yet to name.  I've got Jesse, Nick, Chris...what about Igor?

EVEN as I am signing the paper....and haven't finished talking....he immediately brings the price down!  Why?  The only difference is that now there's a hubby in the picture.  For real!

How much of a discount did I get for being married?  $100?  No.  $200?  No.  $500?  NO!

He took it down a whopping $1,000!!!!!!!!!!

So, instead of almost $4,000, it's only going to cost $3,000 and he'll throw in some general trimming and will clean the gutters - without me asking for it..

Ha!  How fair is that?  ...all because Geert is in the picture.

Now....the basement contractor is due in an hour.....let's see how that one goes.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »

See, husbands are good for something, after all! laugh

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »

Cheesy

—St. Isaac of Syria
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 03:36:04 PM »

Cheesy

It is a partnership. My husband and I form an awesome team. Through my knowledge of law and real estate, I have helped him save thousands of dollars and he likewise with his knowledge of engineering.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »

Yeah...we're good for 1 or 2 little things..... Grin

If the tree guy dropped the price by a thousand bucks just like that, I can tell you, unless I was desperate I'd be calling someone else for an estimate.  Remember the Bartlett Tree people I suggested??

And, thinking about it, maybe you could get him to drop another grand or so...just tell him your 4 brothers will be there to see how everything goes Grin Grin.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
SolEX01
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »

Soooo.....just to prove my point....and the reason for a two week "marriage" of convenience.

The tree trimmers came out today to give me an estimate.  There's the huge dead oak in the back, the maple that has a huge split down the middle, a hazelnut that's just somehow became too close to the house, and the 5 foot tree trunk of a tree that I cut down to keep raccoons off my roof, that needs to be cut at ground level.  (It was narrower at the 5 ft mark than at ground level...that's why I cut it that high - with an old fashioned saw!)  Smiley

So, they come out.  Son and dad.  Walk around...show me where I have problems that I didn't even see.  It seems my entire maple has to come down because the split has damaged it....and it they leave the other half up, it will be tilted precariously and one day fall on the house.  Sad They noticed a few other sickly trees, and that the stand of maples in the front need to be thinned....

I know it will be in the thousands.  I had an estimate for the oak tree alone last year and it was $1,200....just to remove that one dead tree.

So, he comes back out and takes me again on a trip around my yard to show me what they will do....and he comes up with a price of......are you ready.....?

$3,950.   (Grabbing on to the split maple to stay upright.)

He says they will be out 7 a.m. tomorrow.  I told him okay, but, I need to confirm it with them later today.  He asks why.  I tell him because I don't want to get yelled at because it's a lot of money. 

I tell him outright, "my hubby."  Wink  ....whom I have yet to name.  I've got Jesse, Nick, Chris...what about Igor?

EVEN as I am signing the paper....and haven't finished talking....he immediately brings the price down!  Why?  The only difference is that now there's a hubby in the picture.  For real!

How much of a discount did I get for being married?  $100?  No.  $200?  No.  $500?  NO!

So, instead of almost $4,000, it's only going to cost $3,000 and he'll throw in some general trimming and will clean the gutters - without me asking for it..

Ha!  How fair is that?  ...all because Geert is in the picture.

Now....the basement contractor is due in an hour.....let's see how that one goes.

Make sure you don't pay anyone one penny (not even as a down payment) until the job, specified in the contract, is completed to your satisfaction.  Is there really a rush to have these trees cut down?  I lived with 7 maple trees over 50' tall and worried that one of them would come crashing down on my house.  You have insurance if the tree falls on your house.  Insurance works with reputable and licensed contractors to repair any damage caused by falling trees.

Contractors aren't dumb; they'll figure out that you don't have a husband except that you appealed to their conscience (or not having a license) when they discounted their price.

You're not the only home owning single woman in the metro area.  There has to be righteous contractors who wouldn't rip off their own grandmother, mother or sister never mind a single woman.  Getting 3 estimates is usually recommended.  I'd get my referrals from real estate agents who stake their own reputations on those that they recommend.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »

If the tree guy dropped the price by a thousand bucks just like that, I can tell you, unless I was desperate I'd be calling someone else for an estimate.  Remember the Bartlett Tree people I suggested??

And, thinking about it, maybe you could get him to drop another grand or so...just tell him your 4 brothers will be there to see how everything goes Grin Grin.

That would kill any deal, especially if you mentioned that those boys would bring their rifles too.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »

The tree trimmers came out today to give me an estimate.  There's the huge dead oak in the back, the maple that has a huge split down the middle, a hazelnut that's just somehow became too close to the house, and the 5 foot tree trunk of a tree that I cut down to keep raccoons off my roof, that needs to be cut at ground level.  (It was narrower at the 5 ft mark than at ground level...that's why I cut it that high - with an old fashioned saw!)  Smiley

So, they come out.  Son and dad.  Walk around...show me where I have problems that I didn't even see.  It seems my entire maple has to come down because the split has damaged it....and it they leave the other half up, it will be tilted precariously and one day fall on the house.  Sad They noticed a few other sickly trees, and that the stand of maples in the front need to be thinned....

I know it will be in the thousands.  I had an estimate for the oak tree alone last year and it was $1,200....just to remove that one dead tree.

$3,950.   (Grabbing on to the split maple to stay upright.)

He says they will be out 7 a.m. tomorrow.  I told him okay, but, I need to confirm it with them later today.  He asks why.  I tell him because I don't want to get yelled at because it's a lot of money.  

I tell him outright, "my hubby."  Wink  ....whom I have yet to name.  I've got Jesse, Nick, Chris...what about Igor?

EVEN as I am signing the paper....and haven't finished talking....he immediately brings the price down!  Why?  The only difference is that now there's a hubby in the picture.  For real!

How much of a discount did I get for being married?  $100?  No.  $200?  No.  $500?  NO!

Ha!  How fair is that?  ...all because Geert is in the picture.

Make sure you don't pay anyone one penny (not even as a down payment) until the job, specified in the contract, is completed to your satisfaction.  Is there really a rush to have these trees cut down?  I lived with 7 maple trees over 50' tall and worried that one of them would come crashing down on my house.  You have insurance if the tree falls on your house.  Insurance works with reputable and licensed contractors to repair any damage caused by falling trees.

Contractors aren't dumb; they'll figure out that you don't have a husband except that you appealed to their conscience (or not having a license) when they discounted their price.

You're not the only home owning single woman in the metro area.  There has to be righteous contractors who wouldn't rip off their own grandmother, mother or sister never mind a single woman.  Getting 3 estimates is usually recommended.  I'd get my referrals from real estate agents who stake their own reputations on those that they recommend.

Most real estate agents will not recommend a contractor (unless it is a close relative, and that could be a violation). Here in California, a lot of real estate agents have been sued for making a recommendation, so those in the know will not give any recommendations. Instead, they will tell you to contact three contractors, but not necessarily take the lowest bidder. Buyer Beware!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:48:02 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »

That would kill any deal, especially if you mentioned that those boys would bring their rifles too.

That's why you don't say anything about the rifles, and then, if you don't really have 4 brothers, get four young male friends to show up on the promise of some free beer for their efforts.  And, if they have rifles and want to bring them, pizza's included  Grin.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 03:52:30 PM »

If the tree guy dropped the price by a thousand bucks just like that, I can tell you, unless I was desperate I'd be calling someone else for an estimate.  Remember the Bartlett Tree people I suggested??

That's why you don't say anything about the rifles, and then, if you don't really have 4 brothers, get four young male friends to show up on the promise of some free beer for their efforts.  And, if they have rifles and want to bring them, pizza's included  Grin.

Invite the neighbors for a tree-felling party with plenty of pizza and beer.
Plenty of witnesses help.

Woops! Drunk witnesses do not help. Hold off the beer. Get some punch.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:53:30 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SolEX01
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 03:58:59 PM »

Make sure you don't pay anyone one penny (not even as a down payment) until the job, specified in the contract, is completed to your satisfaction.  Is there really a rush to have these trees cut down?  I lived with 7 maple trees over 50' tall and worried that one of them would come crashing down on my house.  You have insurance if the tree falls on your house.  Insurance works with reputable and licensed contractors to repair any damage caused by falling trees.

You're not the only home owning single woman in the metro area.  There has to be righteous contractors who wouldn't rip off their own grandmother, mother or sister never mind a single woman.  Getting 3 estimates is usually recommended.  I'd get my referrals from real estate agents who stake their own reputations on those that they recommend.

Most real estate agents will not recommend a contractor (unless it is a close relative, and that could be a violation). Here in California, a lot of real estate agents have been sued for making a recommendation, so those in the know will not give any recommendations. Instead, they will tell you to contact three contractors, but not necessarily take the lowest bidder. Buyer Beware!

We're all trying to help the OP in the best way possible.  In my case, I would trust my realtor's knowledge of tree experts and basement waterproofers.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 04:01:23 PM »

If the tree guy dropped the price by a thousand bucks just like that, I can tell you, unless I was desperate I'd be calling someone else for an estimate.  Remember the Bartlett Tree people I suggested??

That's why you don't say anything about the rifles, and then, if you don't really have 4 brothers, get four young male friends to show up on the promise of some free beer for their efforts.  And, if they have rifles and want to bring them, pizza's included  Grin.

Invite the neighbors for a tree-felling party with plenty of pizza and beer.
Plenty of witnesses help.

Woops! Drunk witnesses do not help. Hold off the beer. Get some punch.

The beer's for when the work is finished.  That way the witnesses are sober while the tree work is being done.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 04:07:29 PM »

I appreciate everyone's assistance.  Truly.

Please, keep me in your prayers.

—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »

You got it! Wink

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »

Lord have mercy. And find her a good husband if it be Thy holy will.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »

LOL!  I'd be happy with honest contractors!

—St. Isaac of Syria
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 04:19:58 PM »

But if you'll find your Geert he could chop the trees down for free.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:21:34 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

'Don't bother arguing with Cyrillic, he is Dutch or something queer like that.'
-Byron
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 04:33:10 PM »

But if you'll find your Geert he could chop the trees down for free.

Who needs Geert when we've got Paul Bunyan and Blue? Grin Grin

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »

So, Liza.............got an update for us on the tree situation? Wink

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »

LOL!  Yes!!!!  OMGosh!

So, the company came out at 7 a.m. and got to work.  The boss was there and some 10 workers.  It was amazing to watch!  I was like a kid!

They went in my backyard and the whole place was moving.  Two guys in one tree near the house, another in the maple in the middle of the yard for trimming, and in the back, in the old dead oak.  Everything was humming, limbs were falling....it was just cool to watch.

After having read questionable reviews on the company, I had been somewhat worried....but, they were all very nice.  I had put out water, pop and cookies for them....and they were all so polite...

So....let me just tell you how cool this all was.  There are two trees right on the border between me and my neighbor.  They've actually grown in to my fence.  I'm sure that they are part of the basement water problem, because their limbs well overhang by roof, therefore, their roots must be trying to reach just as far.  Their leaves constantly clog my gutters, and in the winter huge icicles drop down on my roof and freak me out.  I cannot tell you how many times I have gone out there in the middle of a winter night with a flashlight to ensure all was well.  Neighbor always refused to cut them down....but, this time, thanks to a miracle of God, he agreed to pay and have them removed.  The removal of these 2 trees made a huger positive impact on my yard, than the removal of my own trees!  Thank You, God!!!! 

I had opted to keep the wood, because it was cheaper than him hauling it away.  I didn't want the woodchips, because last time I spent days spreading them along the fence line, and the very next year the weeds came back...and if nothing else, the rotting wood was great fertilizer for them.  So, I said no.  He said one of his workers would show up Saturday and for $100 he would spread them for me.  He'd cut down the weeds and stems along the fence and spread the chips.  Okay, then.  Sure. 

He never showed up.  So, I have a huge, stinky (it rained), steaming pile of wood chips smack dab in the middle of my driveway.  Takes some skill to twist and turn out of my garage to get past them to the road and not end up in the ditch.  Smiley 

So, yesterday, a stump grinder guy comes out.  I had also opted out of having the stumps ground, in order to save money.  There was only a small tree removed in the front, and I can take an ax to that.  The large ones were in the back, so, only I can see it...why waste money. 

The grinder guy came out to grind neighbor's stumps, and he saw me outside talking to my second basement fixer upper guy (2nd estimate) and came over.  I told him I had that small one in the front...and maybe one in the back, depending how much he would charge.  He went in back and looked and asked about the maple and huge oak stump....I asked him how much.  He said $1,000.  Um....no.  I like my tree stumps.  When I said no and turned to lead him off my property, he hesitated and asked how much I had in my pocket.  I had nothing in my pocket.  He then brought it down to $50, and he'd do them all.  I agreed.  That's a $950 difference!  Does anyone actually pay $1,000 to have a stump removed?  Really?  Amazing!

Why can't anyone just be honest up front?  By the way....each time I mention a husband, you can see the demeanor of the sales guy change.  I love it!  It's nice to be married in such situations.  Now if only I could get my virtual hubby to put the toilet seat down.

—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 04:30:12 PM »

LOL!  Yes!!!!  OMGosh!

So, the company came out at 7 a.m. and got to work.  The boss was there and some 10 workers.  It was amazing to watch!  I was like a kid!

They went in my backyard and the whole place was moving.  Two guys in one tree near the house, another in the maple in the middle of the yard for trimming, and in the back, in the old dead oak.  Everything was humming, limbs were falling....it was just cool to watch.

After having read questionable reviews on the company, I had been somewhat worried....but, they were all very nice.  I had put out water, pop and cookies for them....and they were all so polite...

So....let me just tell you how cool this all was.  There are two trees right on the border between me and my neighbor.  They've actually grown in to my fence.  I'm sure that they are part of the basement water problem, because their limbs well overhang by roof, therefore, their roots must be trying to reach just as far.  Their leaves constantly clog my gutters, and in the winter huge icicles drop down on my roof and freak me out.  I cannot tell you how many times I have gone out there in the middle of a winter night with a flashlight to ensure all was well.  Neighbor always refused to cut them down....but, this time, thanks to a miracle of God, he agreed to pay and have them removed.  The removal of these 2 trees made a huger positive impact on my yard, than the removal of my own trees!  Thank You, God!!!! 

I had opted to keep the wood, because it was cheaper than him hauling it away.  I didn't want the woodchips, because last time I spent days spreading them along the fence line, and the very next year the weeds came back...and if nothing else, the rotting wood was great fertilizer for them.  So, I said no.  He said one of his workers would show up Saturday and for $100 he would spread them for me.  He'd cut down the weeds and stems along the fence and spread the chips.  Okay, then.  Sure. 

He never showed up.  So, I have a huge, stinky (it rained), steaming pile of wood chips smack dab in the middle of my driveway.  Takes some skill to twist and turn out of my garage to get past them to the road and not end up in the ditch.  Smiley 

So, yesterday, a stump grinder guy comes out.  I had also opted out of having the stumps ground, in order to save money.  There was only a small tree removed in the front, and I can take an ax to that.  The large ones were in the back, so, only I can see it...why waste money. 

The grinder guy came out to grind neighbor's stumps, and he saw me outside talking to my second basement fixer upper guy (2nd estimate) and came over.  I told him I had that small one in the front...and maybe one in the back, depending how much he would charge.  He went in back and looked and asked about the maple and huge oak stump....I asked him how much.  He said $1,000.  Um....no.  I like my tree stumps.  When I said no and turned to lead him off my property, he hesitated and asked how much I had in my pocket.  I had nothing in my pocket.  He then brought it down to $50, and he'd do them all.  I agreed.  That's a $950 difference!  Does anyone actually pay $1,000 to have a stump removed?  Really?  Amazing!

Why can't anyone just be honest up front?  By the way....each time I mention a husband, you can see the demeanor of the sales guy change.  I love it!  It's nice to be married in such situations.  Now if only I could get my virtual hubby to put the toilet seat down.

Excellent!!

As for your last sentence...good luck with that!! Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: