OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:20:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lutherans and icons  (Read 6819 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: August 08, 2013, 11:35:02 PM »

Do Lutherans usually have problems with icons and venerating them and such?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:51:22 PM »

In my experience, it seems to depend on which strand of Lutheranism they belong to. The Lutherans I know well enough accept icons in their homes and churches, but I can't be sure if they actually venerate them or not.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:54:36 PM »

I used to burn them.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 11:55:33 PM »

yes.  Not as much as the Baptists, but more than the Episcopalians.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 12:01:50 AM »

Further to my earlier post, I was once asked to give a lecture and visual presentation on iconography at the Lutheran seminary in the city where I live, as part of the students' tuition on different Christian traditions. It went down very well, and many of the students besieged me with questions afterwards. Most had no idea that icons were much, much more than exotic-looking religious art.  Smiley

But I don't doubt that there would be Lutherans who are against them.
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 12:03:28 AM »

Okay. I ask because I'm going to live with one for a year. I guess in the end it doesn't really matter at all what my roommate thinks of my religious practices. I don't even know if he's practicing yet.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 12:13:30 AM »

Okay. I ask because I'm going to live with one for a year. I guess in the end it doesn't really matter at all what my roommate thinks of my religious practices. I don't even know if he's practicing yet.

You could always ask him, I s'pose.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 03:25:32 AM »

There's a Lutheran pastor from PA who is a member at ByzCath and posts very regularly there. I forget to which Synod his parish belongs, but the congregation is very 'High Church' (for lack of a better term) and not infrequently incorporates Eastern prayer into their worship. Pastor Thomas is very familiar with icons and very reverential toward them. In fact, believe that there may actually be some in his church.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Lutheran

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 08:28:07 AM »

The Lutherans I know well enough accept icons in their homes and churches, but I can't be sure if they actually venerate them or not.

Basically this...

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »

In my experience, it seems to depend on which strand of Lutheranism they belong to. The Lutherans I know well enough accept icons in their homes and churches, but I can't be sure if they actually venerate them or not.

The Lutheran church I used to go to has both statues, icons and other religious art. However, if someone were to kiss any of it I think a lot of eyebrows would be raised.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 11:29:07 AM »

Lutherans have a history, especially in this country, of being iconoclasts.  Early in the days of the Reformation, some Lutherans considered the cross to be even idolatry.  Religious art is rare in most Lutheran churches in this country, a stark contrast from the churches in Germany.  Lutherans confuse idolatry and veneration as one and the same thing. They don't see the distinction, hence their insistence that we must worship Mary because we have an icon to her and bow down in front of it.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Aedificare
Warned

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »

High Lutherans don't have a problem with images, but I doubt most would venerate an icon.

My local Lutheran Church has two "icons" on each interior entrence wall, one of St.Augustine and one of "st."Luther.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 12:33:44 PM »

Many Finnish Lutherans have icons of Christ and the Mother of God in their homes. They don't venerate them though. They probably see them as pieces of Christian art and/or symbols. 
ThatOneGuy92

Faith: Lutheran
Jurisdiction: Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 05:23:28 PM »

It honestly depends upon the particular synod/denomination, and the particular Lutheran specifically.

Officially speaking, since we profess to adhere the seven Ecumenical Councils, we technically shouldn't have a problem with icons. However, as we are children of the Western traditions, venerating icons isn't exactly in our bag of tricks (especially if the icon is of a saint).

More importantly, though, is that you probably won't see much icon-venerating because:
A) We don't necessarily have icons in our churches and homes
B) Many don't know the theology behind icons, and as such probably wouldn't

If the veneration of icons was properly explained and taught, the reactions would likely be:
A) No way, that isn't right
B) Okay, I get it. You can do that, but I probably won't, but I won't bother you about it.
C) Sweet, I'm all for the veneration of the Holy Ikons! (A slim chance)
D) Can we just have our coffee and donuts now?  Wink

For the record, this Lutheran is an iconodule. I have an icon, and whenever I have visited any Orthodox temple, I have always venerated the icons, especially of Christ and the Holy Theotokos.  Smiley

Sincerely your brother in Christ,
Tim

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."
- St. Basil the Great
ThatOneGuy92

Faith: Lutheran
Jurisdiction: Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »

Lutherans have a history, especially in this country, of being iconoclasts.  Early in the days of the Reformation, some Lutherans considered the cross to be even idolatry.  Religious art is rare in most Lutheran churches in this country, a stark contrast from the churches in Germany.  Lutherans confuse idolatry and veneration as one and the same thing. They don't see the distinction, hence their insistence that we must worship Mary because we have an icon to her and bow down in front of it.

Scamandrius,

It should be noted, first off, that a completely iconoclastic attitude was not the prevailing attitude of the Lutheran Reformers. Of course, in the craziness that was those times, there were some that did advocate iconoclasm (although I've never heard of any considering the Cross to be an idol; where did you hear that?). However, they were always rebuked.

And I wouldn't say religious art is sparse in Lutheran churches in America today per se. Compared to the abundance of icons in an Orthodox temple (which I recognize aren't purely religious art, but for the sake of comparison), or the art back in Europe, yeah we're a bit sparse. And, it cannot be denied that many churches recently built lack good artwork (whether by choice, or because they are starting out, I don't know). However, many older churches when Lutherans first came over still maintain many traditions of artwork and architecture. And many more "sparse" ones today have at least stained glass windows.

And, unfortunately, it can be said that many still confuse veneration and idolatry. I cannot say that will necessarily change. However, I will say that many pastors and theologians, even if they disagree with the veneration of icons, still explain that the people aren't purposefully worshiping Mary or the saints. So, in that respect, things are improving, and I hope they do. Again, depends on which synod you talk to.

Sincerely your brother in Christ,
Tim

"I cannot persuade myself that without love to others, and without, as far as rests with me, peaceableness towards all, I can be called a worthy servant of Jesus Christ."
- St. Basil the Great
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 06:44:33 PM »

I remember visiting the Roskilde Cathedral (near Copenhagen) and I noticed that, while religious iconography had been toned down, the various royals buried there had insanely lavish tombs and chapels devoted to them, complete with statuary.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 06:59:32 PM »

Martin Luther didn't have a problem with them. While he was away, Karlstadt (?) went about smashing statues, and Luther rebuked him when he returned saying something to the effect that if they brought people to faith, they weren't bad.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 07:01:27 PM »

The Lutheran church I used to go to has both statues, icons and other religious art. However, if someone were to kiss any of it I think a lot of eyebrows would be raised.

Kissing is a strange form of veneration to many Westerners, but it is not at all the only form of veneration. Such forms include bowing, genuflection, and an attitude of reverence and affection. And I daresay they may strongly object to dishonoring an icon.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 07:03:34 PM »

When you say "this country," do you mean the United States? I have always seen crosses in Lutheran churches I've been to in America and often icons or statues, or Christ on the cross.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 08:37:31 PM »

Kissing is a strange form of veneration to many Westerners, but it is not at all the only form of veneration. Such forms include bowing, genuflection, and an attitude of reverence and affection. And I daresay they may strongly object to dishonoring an icon.
Or they may not, especially one not of Christ.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 08:41:28 PM »

The closest thing to veneration I've seen there is people getting their picture taken with their arm around St. Olav.

Dishonouring an icon they would object to, but probably more because it's a general disregard or disdain for things belonging to the church building than because it dishonours the person depicted on the icon.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 08:45:37 PM »

When you say "this country," do you mean the United States? I have always seen crosses in Lutheran churches I've been to in America and often icons or statues, or Christ on the cross.
My old Lutheran church found an antique crucifix in the original sanctuary (the church expanding with the baby boon, and then busted last year).  There was a debate at the time ('80s) on whether to allow it on the altar or not, that dragged on for some time.  Many were not happy when it did end up there.  Even the stained glass in the nave was just colored squares (although there were some abstract representations of Creation and the Crucifixion in the narthax, and a beardless Christ, or was it the angel?).  There was also Christ knocking at the door in the narthax).

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 09:23:13 PM »

America, yes.  There are exceptions to every rule, but even when a crucifix is present, that's usually it.  Like I wrote, the Lutheran churches of Germany are very different in recandarchitecture.  Granted, many of those churches were converted from Catholic Churches, but the artwork was almost retained.

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 01:51:59 AM »

Officially speaking, since we profess to adhere the seven Ecumenical Councils

Sophistry. Outside of basic Christological and Trinitarian statements practically all Lutherans ignore all seven councils and patristics in general. Confessional Lutherans even moreso than mainstream Lutherans
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 09:30:10 AM »

Sophistry. Outside of basic Christological and Trinitarian statements practically all Lutherans ignore all seven councils and patristics in general. Confessional Lutherans even moreso than mainstream Lutherans

Why "even moreso"?
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 11:26:11 AM »

Why "even moreso"?

Because Confessional High Church Lutheranism is fairly non-existent phenomenon in here. Confessional Lutherans tend to de-emphasize Fathers and institutional church despite all the fancy words written in the Book of Concord. Mainstream Lutheranism has had some influences from ecumenical discussions with EOs and the RCC and thus has partly re-discovered historical Lutheran appreciation of the Patristics, liturgy and the like.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:28:27 AM by Alpo » Logged
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »

I will disagree with you there.  Confessionals, right now, are making inroads especially in the  LCMS and trying to get away from the baptist theology and style of liturgy that came to dominate in the mid 20th century.  As far as councils go, they will accept the first four, but not necessarily the last three.  The criteria for which councils  they will accept is vague and changes.  They don't ignore patristics, save for St. Augustine, but they only read the fathers through the lenses of the Lutheran fathers, e.g. Luther, Chemnitz, Melancthon, etc.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »

I will disagree with you there.  Confessionals, right now, are making inroads especially in the  LCMS and trying to get away from the baptist theology and style of liturgy that came to dominate in the mid 20th century.  As far as councils go, they will accept the first four, but not necessarily the last three.  The criteria for which councils  they will accept is vague and changes.  They don't ignore patristics, save for St. Augustine, but they only read the fathers through the lenses of the Lutheran fathers, e.g. Luther, Chemnitz, Melancthon, etc.

I gave my impressions basis of what I've seen here. The US might be different. I'm not even sure we are talking about the same things despite the same terms

I've heard about alleged acceptance of the Councils and the Fathers but IMO that means just about nothing since they don't have any use for them as a part of normal parochial or devotional life.
scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 12:43:51 PM »

I gave my impressions basis of what I've seen here. The US might be different. I'm not even sure we are talking about the same things despite the same terms

I've heard about alleged acceptance of the Councils and the Fathers but IMO that means just about nothing since they don't have any use for them as a part of normal parochial or devotional life.

I'm speaking as one who grew up lutheran in the USA.

That's true with regards to your second point.  Lutherans have divorced theology and praxis so much (and that's true of most Lutherans, whether they be liberal or confessional) that the fathers only use is for their theology.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »

That's true with regards to your second point.  Lutherans have divorced theology and praxis so much (and that's true of most Lutherans, whether they be liberal or confessional) that the fathers only use is for their theology.

And even for the theology the use is fairly limited. Most references I've heard have been about infant baptism.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »

Why "even moreso"?

They're more inquisitional than other Lutherans.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2013, 02:52:23 PM »

Why "even moreso"?

At least they are certain about what they believe and not washy-washy and quasi-heretical like the ELCA and other heterodox Lutheran confessions.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »

Why "even moreso"?

At least they are certain about what they believe and not washy-washy and quasi-heretical like the ELCA and other heterodox Lutheran confessions.

All Lutherans are heretics. Not just some specific Lutheran churches.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »

Why "even moreso"?

But all Lutheran confessions are heterodox.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2013, 03:26:55 PM »

Why "even moreso"?

And, based on what I've read about Lutheran iconoclasm, they've got little to do with classical Lutheranism.

scamandrius
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2013, 03:32:02 PM »

Why "even moreso"?

I was referring to how the Lutherans would consider themselves, not how they're viewed from the outside.

Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2013, 05:31:16 PM »

Not much different than some modern Orthodox.  The difference would be that Lutherans do not recognize any council to be completely authoritative when it comes to canons, where the Orthodox only recognize those that are convenient at the time and for the purpose at hand.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2013, 05:57:12 PM »

Not much different than some modern Orthodox.  The difference would be that Lutherans do not recognize any council to be completely authoritative when it comes to canons, where the Orthodox only recognize those that are convenient at the time and for the purpose at hand.

There are certain differences between "some" and "all". I'm not entirely confident with the approach of some Orthodox either but generally speaking the most progressive Orthodox are more patristic than the most traditionalist Lutheran.
Jord
Det växer hår i mina näsborrar.

Faith: Swedish Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Romanian Orthodox Diocese Of Northern Europe

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2013, 09:55:06 AM »

No. Lutheranism is basically icon friendly, and it has gotten even more so lately.

There are also High Church currents in Lutheranism that are very close to Catholicism on many issues such as icons, monasticism, intercession of Saints, traditional marriage etc.

On the issue of icons specifically, Lutheranism has a problem with iconoclasm in other Protestant movements, in my opinion. Protestant iconoclasm reminds the Lutheran mind of denial of the Incarnation, and a Lutheran will have problems recognizing that a house is a place of worship if there are no images there.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »

No. Lutheranism is basically icon friendly, and it has gotten even more so lately.

There are also High Church currents in Lutheranism that are very close to Catholicism on many issues such as icons, monasticism, intercession of Saints, traditional marriage etc.

On the issue of icons specifically, Lutheranism has a problem with iconoclasm in other Protestant movements, in my opinion. Protestant iconoclasm reminds the Lutheran mind of denial of the Incarnation, and a Lutheran will have problems recognizing that a house is a place of worship if there are no images there.

I don't know if you have many Lutherans in Sweden following the pietist tradition. There are many Germans and Norwegians who were influenced by it and began to de-emphasize liturgy and sacraments. In the United States, there are many Lutherans who have basically become run-of-the-mill Protestants, being influenced by the larger Protestant presence.

Jord
Det växer hår i mina näsborrar.

Faith: Swedish Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Romanian Orthodox Diocese Of Northern Europe

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »

I don't know if you have many Lutherans in Sweden following the pietist tradition. There are many Germans and Norwegians who were influenced by it and began to de-emphasize liturgy and sacraments. In the United States, there are many Lutherans who have basically become run-of-the-mill Protestants, being influenced by the larger Protestant presence.

The pietists in Sweden who did not want to be a part of traditional Lutheranism anymore joined other Protestant denominations or formed new ones.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2013, 03:07:43 PM »

LOL
David Garner
Elder

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 04:39:51 PM »

My former parish has icons on the altar and on tables by the altar.  I believe the pastor there has them in his home (I know their former deaconess did).

They do not venerate them.  But those particular Lutherans, as well as others I know, have no problem with icons for devotional aids, etc.

Daedelus1138
Elder

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »

Venerating icons the way Orthodox do is a bit alien to the western tradition in general, hence why the 7th ecumenical council was not received as eagerly.  The West has always looked more at images as symbols than a mystery or sacrament.   This is not just a Protestant issue, there were some Catholic religious movements that were somewhat iconoclastic (Savanarola in Florence comes to mind), and Catholic orders like the Cistercians that do not favor widespread use of religious images.

Tags: Lutheranism icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: