OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:59:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Work out your own salvation with Fear and Trembling  (Read 1286 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: February 01, 2005, 03:57:51 PM »

Phl 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

What does it mean to be in "fear and trembling" on our path to salvation?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 01:51:17 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 08:30:10 PM »

Eh? Eh? Smiley

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 10:15:56 PM »

Perhaps, the constant rememberance of God. (St. John Chrysostom, Homily 8 on Philippians)
Orthodoxy
Unworthy Servant

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of tthe West

Pochaev, Mother of God

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 11:10:54 PM »

Paradosis,

I agree with that statement.

Howdy. I noticed your a new convert. 3 years you said in one post I read if not mistaken. I was baptised with my family (wife who is a former RC and my to kids who "accepted Jesus on a wing and a prayer") 4 years ago last Feb. 2, 2001.

I remember the first time I encountered the Holy Orthodox Church. It was a Sunday morning and I remember being impressed by the reverance and respect given to everything in the Church. I kinda slinked in the door and found a nice corner to observe this "dead ritual". I saw one man about 30 slim build come up to the icon in the middle of the floor and slowly and most heart feltly venerate the icon. He proceeded to the next icon of Christ and most reverantly bowed and crossed three times all in worship and prayer to God. I have never experianced such a joy and fear mix in my entire 33 year reformist walk. I thought "these people really love Jesus Christ".

So work out your salvation with fear and trembling I believe to mean what one of the Saints said. Saint Silouan I believe says "save your self then you will be able to save others" or something to that effect. So we in reverance and respect work out our salvation by submission and obeiance to the Church knowing the things given are most holy gifts. To whom much is given much is required. Scarey.

In Christ,

Orthodoxy

"But if I say, I will not mention Him or speak any more in His name, His word is in my heart like burning fire, shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed I cannot" (Jeremiah 20:9)

http://www.housecheckinc.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 11:19:18 PM »

thank you.

may peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: